ADVERTISEMENT

Make the call to Mike Denbrock…

Why would Denbrock ditch LSU/Brian Kelly/the #1 QB and #1 WR combo they have coming in in '25 to coach in a much more volatile situation under MF at ND with lesser prospects? Not to mention LSU football operations budget is probably way more expansive than Notre Dame's is (more opportunity for market rate raises at LSU than ND)
Huh? More volatile? Lesser prospects? What?

Lsu is 19 and 7 the last 2 years
ND is 18 and 7 the last 2 years

Lsu 23 class ranked 6th with a 91.83 avg
ND 23 class ranked 12th with a 91.77 avg

Lsu 24 class ranks 12th with a 90.46avg Ouch
ND 24 class ranks 9th with a 91.37 avg

Combine classes our players are rated higher

Lsu qb in 23 ranks 242 overall
ND qb in 23 ranks 169 overall

Lsu qb in 24 ranks 350 overall
ND qb in 24 ranks 38 overall

Lsu qb in 25 ranks doesnt have one
ND qb in 25 ranks 54 overall

We are recruiting better than LSU and we have the better QBs on the roster

You are clueless

Coach Denbrock would be an exceptional choice and is an outstanding recruiter. The problem is getting him away from Kelly and LSU. We can only wish. Go Irish!!!!
Gotta at least try. Far, far, far and away the best candidate for the job. Jayden Daniels last season at ASU he had 10 TDs and 10 INTs

LSU under Denbrock 17/3 in 2022 and 40/4 in 2023. Again, he is also a great TE recruiter and coach. ND would announce to the college football world they are ready to compete by snagging Denbrock. Heck he turned Ridder at UC into an NFL sometime starter.

We should definitely not hire Denbrock. He's a good OC, he had a phenomenal talent in Jayden Daniels. And he's got a rapport with BK. Let's find our own OC, which I'm sure we can do, if we're bold and are willing to spend the money and let him run the offense his way, and we can become like UW or Oregon or whatever.

Denbrock's not the answer. We can make a big-time hire on our own....

I just don't see why he would leave LSU, BK, and the SEC to coordinate offense at Notre Dame.

LSU has a #1 wide receiver and quarterback prospect coming in in the 25 class.

Denbrock has been loyal to Brian Kelly. The SEC has big cable money. The SEC is where all the best talent is (coaches and players alike). LSU pays top dollar to retain their best talent. Brian Kelly signed a 10-year contract at LSU and just developed a Heisman trophy winner. Marcus Freeman could be fired at any moment.

I personally do not see it unless Notre Dame entices Denbrock with a massive contract and if that's the case I'd rather they spend that money on someone else entirely personally

I just don't see why he would leave LSU, BK, and the SEC to coordinate offense at Notre Dame.

Denbrock has been loyal to Brian Kelly. The SEC has big cable money. The SEC is where all the best talent is (coaches and players alike). LSU pays top dollar to retain their best talent. Brian Kelly signed a 10-year contract at LSU and just developed a Heisman trophy winner. Marcus Freeman could be fired at any moment.

I personally do not see it unless Notre Dame entices Denbrock with a massive contract and if that's the case I'd rather they spend that money on someone else entirely personally

Of course you don't see it. You have no appreciation of what Notre Dame is all about. And no, Marcus Freeman could not be fired at any moment.

Why not. We are recruiting a good or better than them overall and at QB

Mf has more security than BK

Reactions: NDinNJ and 1Redrum
Why not. We are recruiting a good or better than them overall and at QB

Mf has more security than BK
Brian Kelly signed a fully guaranteed 10 year, 100 million dollar contract at LSU. What are Brian Kelly's security concerns, relative to Marcus Freeman?

Reactions: Pennick4
Brian Kelly signed a fully guaranteed 10 year, 100 million dollar contract at LSU. What are Brian Kelly's security concerns, relative to Marcus Freeman?
Lsu is less likely to put up with 8, 9, 10 win seasons than Notre Dame.

They fired Orgeron 2 years after a NC. More patience here than there

He also making more money so more pressure and expectations

See Texas A&M and thats what will happen. He will get fired and they will pay his buyout and hire someone else

Reactions: DublinND and NDinNJ
If Denbrock wants the job, and they work out the money. The job is his. The dude from Missouri next. But this all starts with Denbrock. Because that makes the most sense by every metric.
Why? Because he had one phenomenal season with LSU with a Heisman winning QB, and two sure-fire NFL WRs? And that's your basis for this sixty-year old man being the obvious and only choice for the job? I think there are plenty of other legit hotshot OCs who could fill this bill, and would probably be a better fit with MF. Not that Denbrock is hard to get along with or something.

Reactions: chaseball
Lsu is less likely to put up with 8, 9, 10 win seasons than Notre Dame.

They fired Orgeron 2 years after a NC. More patience here than there

He also making more money so more pressure and expectations

See Texas A&M and thats what will happen. He will get fired and they will pay his buyout and hire someone else
Like Charlie Weis Jr!?

back on topic, beware the OC who thrived with a star qb. We know what the BK qb system is and how it can really work with Kizer to Fuller and not work with Coan to Lenzy. Hire a system, not a record.

Denbrock would be a disaster, and further the notion that the University is not serious about building a true contender. After the highs of yesterdays singing day, Denbrock would take the wind out of the sails quickly. What a dumpster fire

Reactions: tbonesays
Why? Because he had one phenomenal season with LSU with a Heisman winning QB, and two sure-fire NFL WRs? And that's your basis for this sixty-year old man being the obvious and only choice for the job? I think there are plenty of other legit hotshot OCs who could fill this bill, and would probably be a better fit with MF. Not that Denbrock is hard to get along with or something.
He made Desmond Ridder a college playoff caliber QB and NFL draft pick.

Last edited:
Denbrock would be a disaster, and further the notion that the University is not serious about building a true contender. After the highs of yesterdays singing day, Denbrock would take the wind out of the sails quickly. What a dumpster fire
LMAO. Stick to your day job.

Not even close to a disaster. He's a really good OC

He did a good job at Cinci also. He was Elko's first choice when he got the A&M job. That should tell you his reputation in the business.

Nonsense.

He made Desmond Ridder a college playoff caliber QB and NFL draft pick.
That's true. Denbrock's definitely done well for himself the last several years. Oh shit, I forget about that. That was with MF. So that way MF gets to go in house yet again, instead of having some balls and venturing out into the wider market and making a bold choice and forging his own path as I'm sure there are numerous capable options out there that could bring a potent offense to ND, it's merely up to him to go make it happen. But this way MF totally gets to take the easy way out. And still get a high-performing OC into the bargain. I guess it'd be better than hiring another dude from Wisky....

Denbrock was the OC and play caller for the best offense ND has had in the last 25 years. The 2015 team. (Yea much better than anything Weis put out there)

Substitute a Freeman, Lea or Elko for BVG in 2015, and that team and the Dembrock offense was the only team of the Kelly Era that had a legit shot at the National Championship.

Denbrock was the OC and play caller for the best offense ND has had in the last 25 years. The 2015 team. (Yea much better than anything Weis put out there)

Substitute a Freeman, Lea or Elko for BVG in 2015, and that team and the Dembrock offense was the only team of the Kelly Era that had a legit shot at the National Championship.
Really? We got our ass kicked by tOSU in the bowl game. But that was the year, huh? Maybe you're right, it was a good season. And I don't think our defense was that bad, but I don't remember.

And that was our best offense? Just statistically? Look, you don't have to pump up Mike Denbrock's resume. He's pretty hot shit these days, including his impressive run at UC. So nobody doubts his chops. And if that's who we got that would be a perfectly great hire. I just figured we could get Oregon's or Washington's OC or someone like that. Plus I figure he'll stay at LSU. But I guess now would be the time to try to pluck him away, with Jayden Daniels moving on....

I agree 2015 was the one year where we could have legit competed for a NC.

Our DC was so bad but the talent of that team was loaded.

Missed opportunity

That's true. Denbrock's definitely done well for himself the last several years. Oh shit, I forget about that. That was with MF. So that way MF gets to go in house yet again, instead of having some balls and venturing out into the wider market and making a bold choice and forging his own path as I'm sure there are numerous capable options out there that could bring a potent offense to ND, it's merely up to him to go make it happen. But this way MF totally gets to take the easy way out. And still get a high-performing OC into the bargain. I guess it'd be better than hiring another dude from Wisky....
The "dude" from Wisky was only there 1 year and I think he is going to be a very good hire.

The "dude" from Wisky was only there 1 year and I think he is going to be a very good hire.
Really, so he's not part of MF's old boy club, not part of the UC mafia? Still, the connection to Luke Fickell probably facilitated the deal. Anyway I don't think we're going to get Mike Denbrock because he's just not going to leave LSU. They pay big money in the SEC to their OCs, and he's going to stay put with such a good thing he's got going....

Really, so he's not part of MF's old boy club, not part of the UC mafia? Still, the connection to Luke Fickell probably facilitated the deal. Anyway I don't think we're going to get Mike Denbrock because he's just not going to leave LSU. They pay big money in the SEC to their OCs, and he's going to stay put with such a good thing he's got going....
You never know unless you ask him. What is the saying, you miss 100% of your shots if you don’t take any. Ask him see what happens.

You never know unless you ask him. What is the saying, you miss 100% of your shots if you don’t take any. Ask him see what happens.
I guess BK did fire him once, when we cleaned house after 2016, so maybe there's still some smoldering resentment. Even though that was the best thing that ever happened to Denbrock. And his career exploded from that point.

It's a waste :LSU had such a shit defense. The probably would have beat Bama if they had had a more typical LSU defense, and old Ole Miss too. Maybe not UGA though....

Two words. Jimbo Fisher

Reading multiple reports/rumors that there is interest from Denbrock joining ND as OC. I would be all for it. Be a nice way for Denbrock to stick it to Kelly for getting rid of him after 2016.

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Why would Denbrock ditch LSU/Brian Kelly/the #1 QB and #1 WR combo they have coming in in '25 to coach in a much more volatile situation under MF at ND with lesser prospects? Not to mention LSU football operations budget is probably way more expansive than Notre Dame's is (more opportunity for market rate raises at LSU than ND)
Denbrock really likes Notre Dame.

We will see. I have a hard time imagining Notre Dame paying more for Mike Denbrock than LSU would.
Notre Dame pays top dollar for its assistants. The contracts aren't reported publicly, but don't believe the narrative that Notre Dame won't pay top money for assistants that are worth it.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT