ADVERTISEMENT

Make the call to Mike Denbrock…

IrishExpert2288

Shakes Down The Thunder
Sep 10, 2023
Mike Denbrock is an outstanding football coach, he is also a great TEs coach, and he’s obviously familiar with ND. The work he’s done with Daniels and LSU these past 2 seasons, speaks for itself and was prodigious.

Make the call, see if he’s interested, and then try to make the money work.

IMO he would be a really good hire for ND.

Reactions: samarrand
Yeah that ex 10 year TE coach and dinosaur with as much charisma as a box of sand is really going to light the Notre Dame recruiting world on fire

Like LSU wouldn't match ND's money. And he currently has the like, the #1 ranked offense in the country.

I guess he might be an inspired hire, but I doubt ND would be able to pull it off....

Mike Denbrock is an outstanding football coach, he is also a great TEs coach, and he’s obviously familiar with ND. The work he’s done with Daniels and LSU these past 2 seasons, speaks for itself and was prodigious.

Denbrock will not leave Brian Kelly or the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at LSU.

And frankly, LSU recruits a WR room that dwarfs what Notre Dame has.

Yeah that ex 10 year TE coach and dinosaur with as much charisma as a box of sand is really going to light the Notre Dame recruiting world on fire
He would be more influential on the recruiting trail than some self righteous, snarky blowhard, that lurks like a troll on message board.

Denbrock coached the #1 offense in the country, that produced this years Heisman Trophy winner. What have you done with your life Lombardi? Besides bore everyone to death with your make believe BS F+ nonsense…..your turn

Chase! He had the #1 offense in the country last year! Riley Leonard is in the Daniels mold. Dembrock would be a home-fun hire! And he'd have a lot more freedom under Marcus than Kelly.

Chase! He had the #1 offense in the country last year! Riley Leonard is in the Daniels mold. Dembrock would be a home-fun hire! And he'd have a lot more freedom under Marcus than Kelly.
Denbrock just seems like the kind of coach that you go out and get when the rest of your program is firing on all cylinders and you just need a guy to keep the gravy train rolling. But as we all know there is no gravy train at Notre Dame we're trying to get back to the top.

I think we need a maverick in a leadership position at Notre Dame football - a guy who doesn't listen to all the self-limiting BS and goes out there and pulls the whole offense forward with every fiber of his being

Someone with an entirely different message

Someone excited about recruiting usually younger people who are highly charismatic

Someone with a lot of social media influence and national popularity

Someone who has a proven track record of bringing in higher end talent than the institution is known for

Someone who can coach offense as well obviously

Anybody can learn to coach an offense from an xs and os standpoint in my opinion (there's only so many ways you can draw stuff up) it is all these other ancillary skills that make the biggest difference in a coordinator in 2023/24 imo

Denbrock just seems like the kind of coach that you go out and get when the rest of your program is firing on all cylinders and you just need a guy to keep the gravy train rolling. But as we all know there is no gravy train at Notre Dame we're trying to get back to the top.

I think we need a maverick in a leadership position at Notre Dame football - a guy who doesn't listen to all the self-limiting BS and goes out there and pulls the whole offense forward with every fiber of his being

Someone excited about recruiting usually younger people who are highly charismatic

Someone who has a proven track record of bringing in higher end talent than the institution is known for

Anybody can learn to coach an offense from an xs and os standpoint in my opinion (there's only so many ways you can draw stuff up) it is all these other ancillary skills that make the biggest difference in a coordinator in 2023/24 imo
Lsu wasn't firing on all cylinders when LSU hired him

I think Dembrock is that guy. But I'm willing for suggestions. Charlie Weis Jr. just doesn't have enough experience, imo -- maybe another year or two. Kirby Moore would be a great hire.

Recruiting has changed but... Look, ND is not going to throw out all of their requirements for admission. Despite that we've done a stellar job at the OL, TE and RB... Our QB recruiting/portal additions have been top 5 in the past two years and going forward with CJ and Duece. And... you can't talk recruiting anymore without talking transfers -- (who knows if CJ and Duece will even be at ND in two years!) because look how many of those recruits you so treasure have already left their original homes (see USC today! Look at Georgia's 16 transfers - several top ten recruits!)

Where we have faltered is WR but that was starting to change until we lost Rico -- but again, the portal will help here -- getting three-year starters is like adding a star or two to a highly recruited freshman. Greathouse is going to be a really good one and I don't think you'd have even recruited him!

It is not 1993 any more. There is so much more to putting together a team to make a run. It wasn't until Brian Kelly that we were even in the conversation again (and we were, which is an accomplishment.)

Right now we need an experienced OC who Marcus can depend on. Marcus is one of the top five HC recruiters in the country right now, imo. This class is our best since 2013 but again, transfers and NIL has changed the game considerably.

You need to embrace it and change your metric my friend.

Reactions: Telx1
ND is not only looking to replace Parker the OC, they have to replace Parker the TEs coach. The only TEs coach that was anywhere near as good as Parker this past decade. Was Denbrock.

It’s worth the phone call. LSU had the Heisman Trophy winner, and the #1 offense. But still only went 9-3. That whole staff could be out on its ear. They don’t play in the SEC. Chizik & Ogeron were both canned 2 years after a Natty.

Charlie Weis with the schematic advantage for the win!!! 😜

So no OC experience. Pass. Why would that require firing a very good Offensive Line coach?

Not only the number one offense in the country, but also a top five offense over the last 20 years.

If I had to put money on it, I’d say the next OC at Notre Dame will be Gino Guidugli. ND has a history of promoting within and it seems to me that he would be the next in line to move up.

Reactions: 1Redrum
ISD list of potential replacements. Mike Denbrock at the top of the list. Because that clearly, and far and away makes the most sense.

Coached #1 offense, Heisman winner, he is a TEs coach, knows how to recruit at ND, has UC relationships with Freeman, Guidugli and Mike Brown. And ND can stick it to BK.

Precisely zero of the other candidates on the list have those qualifications. Start there first, then move down the list if you can’t make MD work.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/22338/potential-notre-dame-offensive-coordinator-candidates

Last edited:
If I had to put money on it, I’d say the next OC at Notre Dame will be Gino Guidugli. ND has a history of promoting within and it seems to me that he would be the next in line to move up.
ND doesn't have a history of anything. The individual HCs decide who to hire, not the university itself as some abstract, indefinable entity. So what you meant to say is that MF will promote within, not Notre Dame. 'Notre Dame' will step in and hire MF's replacement when that day comes.

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
ISD list of potential replacements. Mike Denbrock at the top of the list. Because that clearly, and far and away makes the most sense.

Coached #1 offense, Heisman winner, he is a TEs coach, knows how to recruit at ND, has UC relationships with Freeman, Guidugli and Mike Brown. And ND can stick it to BK.

Precisely zero of the other candidates on the list have those qualifications. Start there first, then move down the list if you can’t make MD work.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/22338/potential-notre-dame-offensive-coordinator-candidates
Mike Denbrock without question makes the mose sense...on many levels; however, I will be surprised if Mike Denbrock is the next Notre Dame OC.

Mike Denbrock without question makes the mose sense...on many levels; however, I will be surprised if Mike Denbrock is the next Notre Dame OC.
If that's the guy Freeman wants I'd be shocked if he doesn't come to Notre Dame

Why would Denbrock ditch LSU/Brian Kelly/the #1 QB and #1 WR combo they have coming in in '25 to coach in a much more volatile situation under MF at ND with lesser prospects? Not to mention LSU football operations budget is probably way more expansive than Notre Dame's is (more opportunity for market rate raises at LSU than ND)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT