ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book's Senior Season

I tend to agree. My concern is that defenses had a year to get the “book” on him and if a D coordinator is worth anything they look at the Clemson game and stack the first ten to fifteen yards

Granted, not many teams have the personnel Clemson does but the principle of pressure and jumping the short route is a great plan to make Book beat you long or with a balanced attack

If defenses do this, I do not think Book has huge success over the season. He is smart, sees the field better than any QB we’ve had in a very long time, and can improvise

So I see him having big success. How big depends on if he can win the big games at UGA, UM, Stanford

Question for the board: What ND QB has seen the coverage better than Book? I say Book sees coverage better than any QB since Montana. Only other guy I would put as a second is Tommy Rees who could read defenses superbly BUT I don’t think Rees was as good as Book in second or third options and reading live coverage

Plus Book is a much better athlete than Tommy
Montana threw alot of interceptions in his career at ND

He’s not even close to top ten talent on NDs team, he’s just the most important.

according to ESPN's top 50 in the country in 2019 Ian book was the only one listed on Notre Dame's roster.

In fact there was a top 25 in 2019 voted on by Notre Dame bloggers and analysts that have Ian book as the number one player on the roster.

Please list 10 players that are better than Ian book on Notre Dame's roster and please explain the difference between "most important" and "best" because that is another cliche that gets tossed around here that makes no sense to me either.

according to ESPN's top 50 in the country in 2019 Ian book was the only one listed on Notre Dame's roster.

In fact there was a top 25 in 2019 voted on by Notre Dame bloggers and analysts that have Ian book as the number one player on the roster.

Please list 10 players that are better than Ian book on Notre Dame's roster and please explain the difference between "most important" and "best" because that is another cliche that gets tossed around here that makes no sense to me either.

I was thinking Chase, another way to put this could be: who would you least like to lose early in the season (and this also relates to depth at certain positions, etc.

1. Book
2. Gilman
3. Pride (or Vaugh?)
4. Claypool
5. Armstrong or Jones
6. Hainsey
(Maybe an interior D lineman, since we are so thin?)

Ian book is going to lead the country in volume next year in terms of pass+rush attempts on a top 10 to 15 program with playoff aspirations. Easily the most valuable player on the offense and at least in the discussion as the best player on the roster and one of the best players on offense in the entire nation.

Yet he's the reason why Notre Dame's not going to win a national title it'll be his fault because he's not a quarterback with arm strength. Forget all the other value/production he brings to the table Notre Dame's not a national title contender because Ian book doesn't have great arm strength.

It isn't the lack of depth in the secondary or the lack of star power at DT.. it isn't the lack of skill position players on offense.. but it's Ian book the best player on the team who's going to carry the offense in 2019 to blame for Notre Dame's lack of national title contention

Last edited:
Ian book is going to lead the country in volume next year in terms of pass+rush attempts on a top 10 to 15 program with playoff aspirations. Easily the most valuable player on the offense and at least in the discussion as the best player on the roster and one of the best players on offense in the entire nation.

Yet he's the reason why Notre Dame's not going to win a national title it'll be his fault.

Best players on the roster imo are: Okwara, then Hainsey with Gilman, Book and Claypool close behind.

Sports Illustrated has their top 100 for this year. Only ND guys on it are Okwara at #31 and Gilman at #57. All those lists are subjective. makes for good discussions though.

So the best player on Notre Dame's roster needs to get better in order for Notre Dame to win a national title but the other 84 players on the roster get a pass?

I'm seriously not seeing the logic to this point ... Everybody needs to get better. No duh. Can someone explain to me the logic that I'm missing?
he is not the best player on the Notre Dame roster. not by a longshot. i do believe he's the most important player though. sorry nasty, did not see your post saying the same thing.

Reactions: Get Nasty
I have to laugh at the Pitt game hoax. Apparently, that was the game that the book was out on him, yet he went 15-16 in the 2nd half & 26-32 overall. How in the eff can a book be “out” on someone when that someone ends up virtually perfect against that supposed “book”? He actually got better in the game when the (imaginary) book was out on him. Please enlighten all of us about how that statement isn’t 100% hogwash.
we scored 19 points and almost lost to a bad team at home with perfect weather. We didn't score a TD in the first half vs that crappy D. Yes book played better in the second half, everyone has said that, but he still wasn't great. Completion percentage doesn't win games or championships. It's a nice to have.

The only game book played bad in pretty much the entire game was Clemson.

Sports Illustrated has their top 100 for this year. Only ND guys on it are Okwara at #31 and Gilman at #57. All those lists are subjective. makes for good discussions though.

I agree they are subjective the best way to get any type of indication is a collection of all of them. but since we don't have that we kind of just have to go based on recollection opinion etc.

There is a poll voted on by ND media people bloggers analyst etc. Probably the best tool we have in terms of an objective source. Notre Dame media people voted Ian book as the number one player on the team. He won the most valuable player trophy award last year as well which was voted on by the team.

an argument could be made for Okwara and some of the other star players on the team but Ian book is at least in the discussion.

I don't get the logic whatsoever that the star player on offense one of the best players on the team and someone who brings tons of value and production at a critical position is someone who is to blame for the program's lack of national title contention. This is what I'm hoping someone can explain because it makes no sense whatsoever.

If I'm going to place blame it would be at defensive tackle positions, lack of playmakers at skill positions, lack of secondary depth, lack of cornerbacks, lack of talent in general between Notre Dame and top handful of programs in the country, etc.

But the quarterback position is the least of our problems on the roster and the least of Notre Dame's obstacles in terms of its ability to compete with the best teams in the country for a national title

Everyone was having similar debates, concerns, etc over Wimbush at this time last year. Most people could see if wimbush could improve in these areas, ND could win it all. No one was saying but look at how good he ran the ball Well he didn't and the 2nd year kelly QB curse continued.

Can you cite a study or a source regarding this strong-armed quarterback theory?

Recent national title winners have had great players at every position on the roster for the most part.

It is easy to look like a great quarterback and produce a lot of numbers at quarterback when all the players aound you are all-American candidates for example.
You make it sound like a strong armed QB theory is some type of mad scientist idea. Bear in mind, I also cited Book's relatively short height, where he's charitably listed a 6' and 200 lbs. Let's go back to 2010, when passing started being so accentuated.

2010 Auburn had Cam Newton, who possessed every gift you could want in a QB.

2011 and 2012 Alabama twice with AJ McCarron, who was 6'4" and supported by a team especially deep, especially on defense

2013 Florida State and Jameis Winston (enough said)

2014 Ohio State, with Cardell Jones in the title game...nothing weak about his arm

2015 Alabama and Jalen Hurts, solid 6'2", powerfully built, with a strong arm and uncanny running abilitity, again complemented by a team that had everything

2016 Clemson and DeShaun Watson, one of the best QBs of our era

2017 Alabama and Tua Tagovailoa, good arms strength accentuated by abnormally large hands that promotes accuracy. Very solidly built at 6'1' 220.

2018 Clemson under Trevor Lawrence, the sky might not be the limit.

So it seems like all the QB winning NCs of recent vintage have had a pronounced physical advantage over Book.

“Completion percentage doesn't win games or championships”

Completion % plus an 8 and a half yard per attempt wins championships though. Book had both last year. Hope he repeats, if he does, we’re in good shape.

“Completion percentage doesn't win games or championships”

Completion % plus an 8 and a half yard per attempt wins championships though. Book had both last year. Hope he repeats, if he does, we’re in good shape.
Great, all we need is for Pitt to play us in the NC and we're a cinch.

“Great, all we need is for Pitt to play us in the NC and we're a cinch.”

No way, that’s the team that wrote the book on him. ;)

You make it sound like a strong armed QB theory is some type of mad scientist idea. Bear in mind, I also cited Book's relatively short height, where he's charitably listed a 6' and 200 lbs. Let's go back to 2010, when passing started being so accentuated.

2010 Auburn had Cam Newton, who possessed every gift you could want in a QB.

2011 and 2012 Alabama twice with AJ McCarron, who was 6'4" and supported by a team especially deep, especially on defense

2013 Florida State and Jameis Winston (enough said)

2014 Ohio State, with Cardell Jones in the title game...nothing weak about his arm

2015 Alabama and Jalen Hurts, solid 6'2", powerfully built, with a strong arm and uncanny running abilitity, again complemented by a team that had everything

2016 Clemson and DeShaun Watson, one of the best QBs of our era

2017 Alabama and Tua Tagovailoa, good arms strength accentuated by abnormally large hands that promotes accuracy. Very solidly built at 6'1' 220.

2018 Clemson under Trevor Lawrence, the sky might not be the limit.

So it seems like all the QB winning NCs of recent vintage have had a pronounced physical advantage over Book.

I appreciate you putting some thought into your post. I see a variety of quarterbacks anywhere from decent to some of the best most physically gifted quarterbacks in college football. What is more consistent and apparent to me in that list of national title winners is the quality of those teams rosters overall. Even Auburn's roster was loaded with talented classes and those big fronts in the south, Cam Newton just put them over the top. a generational type talent at quarterback like Trevor Lawrence definitely can carry your entire team to a national title, I'm not trying to diminish this fact, but quarterbacks on that level that are that good come around once 10 years maybe?

I don't see anything conclusive that suggests that in order to win a national title you have to have a quarterback that looks and throws like Peyton Manning though.

If Notre Dame didn't have so many weaknesses throughout their roster they wouldn't need Superman at quarterback. Ian book could just be a star level player like he is now and that would be enough. it is Notre Dame's lack of roster strength in general that is holding the team back though not the guy who many consider to be the best player on the team.

Ian book had a really good year last year with not a ton of support on offense. He didn't have nearly the same amount of weapons that his peers in the playoffs did that is for sure.

Book only had one chance against a really quality defense last year and he totally stunk with the rest of the offense but I think based on his performance overall last season that he deserves the benefit of the doubt going forward. he's certainly the best player we have at quarterback and beat out a number of really talented prospects there and turned an offense that was toiling around in the 80s into a top 25 type of group and led the team to the playoffs.

there's a lot of really good peripheral stats on Ian book and he could take his game to a whole nother level this season... But like I said in some of my other posts: he's the least of my concerns on the roster heading into 2019. there are much bigger problems on the roster in terms of Notre Dame's national title worthiness than the quarterback position right now even if we are lucky enough for book simply to replicate his season last year

Last edited:
I appreciate you putting some thought into your post. I see a variety of quarterbacks anywhere from decent to some of the best most physically gifted quarterbacks in college football. What is more consistent and apparent to me in that list of national title winners is the quality of those teams rosters overall. Even Auburn's roster was loaded with those big fronts in the south Cam Newton just put them over the top.

Also I don't see anything conclusive that suggests that in order to win a national title you have to have a rocket arm and be the size of Peyton Manning though.

If Notre Dame didn't have so many weaknesses throughout their roster they wouldn't need Superman at quarterback. Ian book could just be a star level player like he is now and that would be enough. it is Notre Dame's lack of roster strength in general that is holding the team back though not the guy who many consider to be the best player on the team.

Ian book had a really good year last year with not a ton of support on offense. He didn't have nearly the same amount of weapons that his peers in the playoffs did that is for sure.

Book only had one chance against a really quality defense last year and he totally stunk with the rest of the offense but I think based on his performance overall last season that he still deserves the benefit of the doubt going forward. he's certainly the best player we have at quarterback and beat out a number of really talented prospects there and turned an offense that was toiling around in the 80s into a top 25 type of group and led the team to the playoffs.

there's a lot of really good peripheral stats on Ian book and he could take his game to a whole nother level this season... But like I said in some of my other posts: he's the least of my concerns on the roster heading into 2019. there are much bigger problems on the roster in terms of Notre Dame's national title worthiness than the quarterback position right now
I appreciate you putting some thought into your post. I see a variety of quarterbacks anywhere from decent to some of the best most physically gifted quarterbacks in college football. What is more consistent and apparent to me in that list of national title winners is the quality of those teams rosters overall. Even Auburn's roster was loaded with those big fronts in the south Cam Newton just put them over the top.

Also I don't see anything conclusive that suggests that in order to win a national title you have to have a rocket arm and be the size of Peyton Manning though.

Book only had one chance against a really quality defense last year and he totally stunk with the rest of the offense but I think based on his performance overall last season that he still deserves the benefit of the doubt going forward. he's certainly the best player we have at quarterback and beat out a number of really talented prospects there and turned an offense that was toiling around in the 80s into a top 25 type of group and led the team to the playoffs.

there's a lot of really good peripheral stats on Ian book and he could take his game to a whole nother level this season... But like I said in some of my other posts: he's the least of my concerns on the roster heading into 2019. there are much bigger problems on the roster in terms of Notre Dame's national title worthiness than the quarterback position right now
Notre dame has minimal weaknesses on their team this year.

Notre dame has minimal weaknesses on their team this year.
I agree Notre Dame doesn't have some of the big weaknesses it has had in the past on the roster, but there's a serious lack of upside and star power across the board in the two deep.

Notre Dame is deeper than it has been in a long time and they patched-up a lot of the holes on the roster but in the process they lost the star power they used to have at the top end especially at the skill positions.

I appreciate you putting some thought into your post. I see a variety of quarterbacks anywhere from decent to some of the best most physically gifted quarterbacks in college football. What is more consistent and apparent to me in that list of national title winners is the quality of those teams rosters overall. Even Auburn's roster was loaded with talented classes and those big fronts in the south, Cam Newton just put them over the top.

I don't see anything conclusive that suggests that in order to win a national title you have to have a quarterback that looks and throws like Peyton Manning.

Book only had one chance against a really quality defense last year and he totally stunk with the rest of the offense but I think based on his performance overall last season that he deserves the benefit of the doubt going forward. he's certainly the best player we have at quarterback and beat out a number of really talented prospects there and turned an offense that was toiling around in the 80s into a top 25 type of group and led the team to the playoffs.

there's a lot of really good peripheral stats on Ian book and he could take his game to a whole nother level this season... But like I said in some of my other posts: he's the least of my concerns on the roster heading into 2019. there are much bigger problems on the roster in terms of Notre Dame's national title worthiness than the quarterback position right now even if we are lucky enough for book simply to replicate his season last year
I'd never dispute that a viable threat for an NC has to have strength throughout its roster, but a dynamic QB helmed most of those teams I cited. Probably the least talented QB on my list was McCarron, but he was 6'4", had no problems surveying the field, and was surrounded with awesome talent, including a defense hemorrhaging future NFL players. I'd love to have Book prove me wrong, but I don't see it.

I agree Notre Dame doesn't have some of the big weaknesses it has had in the past on the roster, but there's a serious lack of upside and star power across the board in the two deep.

Notre Dame is deeper than it has been in a long time and they patched-up a lot of the holes on the roster but in the process they lost the star power they used to have at the top end especially at the skill positions.
I don’t know....chase, kmet, Liam,banks, hainsey (as a center or guard) have a chance in offense to be early round picks.... Khalid, okwara, and pride could be early round picks on D

so you admit it was a dumb question asking how many pass plays of a specific yardage SHOULD be called in any given game ?

No, it’s a very intelligent question, apparently it’s beyond your comprehension.

Book threw an average of 31 passes per game.

Hence, using 31 passes as the benchmark, how many 40+ yard pass plays should he attempt ?

And, how many 20+ yard pass plays should he attempt ?

Simple questions!

To all of the mathematically challenged amongst you, and your numbers are numerous, if you make 570 passing attempts and you complete 8 of the 570 for 40 yards or more, what percentage of your 570 attempts result in completions of 40 yards or more ?

Take your time, talk it over amongst yourselves, consult with people who know something about simple math and let me know what percentage you come up with.

Then, if you’re lucky enough to come up with the right answer, with help I’m sure, try to understand the relevance of that number.

Now you’ll be ready for the next question.

If you make 570 attempts and complete 53 passes of 20 or more yards, what percentage of the 570 attempts resulted in completions of 20 yards or more ?

Again, take your time, consult with each other, call all of the 5th graders you know for assistance.

If and when you are lucky enough to arrive at the correct percentages, what do those two percentages tell you ?

To all of the mathematically challenged amongst you, and your numbers are numerous, if you make 570 passing attempts and you complete 8 of the 570 for 40 yards or more, what percentage of your 570 attempts result in completions of 40 yards or more ?

Take your time, talk it over amongst yourselves, consult with people who know something about simple math and let me know what percentage you come up with.

Then, if you’re lucky enough to come up with the right answer, with help I’m sure, try to understand the relevance of that number.

Now you’ll be ready for the next question.

If you make 570 attempts and complete 53 passes of 20 or more yards, what percentage of the 570 attempts resulted in completions of 20 yards or more ?

Again, take your time, consult with each other, call all of the 5th graders you know for assistance.

If and when you are lucky enough to arrive at the correct percentages, what do those two percentages tell you ?
Now you’re coming around to the good side and realizing your mistakes! It only took a few days of countless corrections to make you learn. I guess this is why teachers are struggling with today’s kids, they struggle to grasp common sense and basic math.

The numbers you are now asking for are not his completion percentage of passes over 20 and 40 yards respectively, just so we’re on the same page.

Last edited:
No, it’s a very intelligent question, apparently it’s beyond your comprehension.

Book threw an average of 31 passes per game.

Hence, using 31 passes as the benchmark, how many 40+ yard pass plays should he attempt ?

And, how many 20+ yard pass plays should he attempt ?

Simple questions!
still a dumb question but you don't have enough sense to realize it. you're still acting as if every opponent and circumstance are equal. game plans vary from week to week based on the opponent. there is not a set formula for preparing game plans. yikes !

Last edited:
still a dumb question but you don't have enough sense to realize it. you're still acting as if every opponent and circumstance are equal. game plans vary from week to week based on the opponent. there is not set formula for preparing game plans. yikes !
In its own way, this last post of his is as dumb as the legendary post he recast after realizing how wrongly he worded things (something he can't bring himself to admit). As you cited, every game has its own unique set of situations and challenges. Passing attempts for yardage would be subject to down and distance, personnel matchups, score and time remaining, among other factors. Shocking that this great thinker has such profound analytical shortcomings.

To all of the mathematically challenged amongst you, and your numbers are numerous, if 570 think I'm an arrogant putz and 8 of the 570 are 6'5" or taller, what percentage of these 570 people are 6'5" or taller?

1.41%

In its own way, this last post of his is as dumb as the legendary post he recast after realizing how wrongly he worded things (something he can't bring himself to admit). As you cited, every game has its own unique set of situations and challenges. Passing attempts for yardage would be subject to down and distance, personnel matchups, score and time remaining, among other factors. Shocking that this great thinker has such profound analytical shortcomings.

Stop the nonsensical posturing and answer the two questions I posed.

Out of 31 attempts, how many passes of 20 or more yards should Book throw ?

Out of 31 attempts, how many passes of 40 or more yards should Book throw ?

Simple question, stop trying to avoid answering it.

After all, you and echowaker are experts so this should be easy for you.

You do realize everybody considers you a football fool?

Reactions: nemeth#5
It would be a pointless waste of time.

Pointless because you and echowaker have no understanding of analytics.

I’ll you help you out, 9 %.

So now let’s go back to the two questions I previously asked you and echowaker, out of 31 attempts, how many 20 or more yard attempts should Book throw.

Out of 31 attempts, how many 40 or more yard attempts should Book throw.

By the way, I understand why you and echowaker are reluctant to afraid to answer the question.

You’re both playing checkers and I’m playing chess !

still a dumb question but you don't have enough sense to realize it. you're still acting as if every opponent and circumstance are equal. game plans vary from week to week based on the opponent. there is not set formula for preparing game plans. yikes !
Yep, the same play could have easily 5 options. Depending on opponent and circumstance the number one option of that play could be completely different game to game, or even series to series.

It's one thing long has done well at times, run the same play multiple times and hit the easy obvious play but there's this little wrinkle and once the defense is comfortable, and not prepared, they hit the wrinkle for a huge play.
Pointless because you and echowaker have no understanding of analytics.

I’ll you help you out, 9 %.

So now let’s go back to the two questions I previously asked you and echowaker, out of 31 attempts, how many 20 or more yard attempts should Book throw.

Out of 31 attempts, how many 40 or more yard attempts should Book throw.

By the way, I understand why you and echowaker are reluctant to afraid to answer the question.

You’re both playing checkers and I’m playing chess !
and you just lost in two moves

Reactions: echowaker
Silent Banjo, Echowaker, d1042,

Answer the questions.

Out of 31 attempts how many passes of 20 or more yards should Book throw ?

Out of 31 attempts how many passes of 40 or more yards should Book throw.

I know that you’re afraid to answer the question, but that’s no excuse.

ANSWER THE QUESTION !

Who is the opposition and what are the other relevant circumstances occurring during the course of said game ? Without that basic information NO ONE can give an informed answer to said question.

Who is the opposition and what are the other relevant circumstances occurring during the course of said game ? Without that basic information NO ONE can give an informed answer to said question.

Then why are you and others clamoring for Book to throw more long passes “without that basic information”? ? ?

You can’t have it both ways.

You can’t insist that he throw more long passes on one hand and then declare that you can’t project how many long passes Book should throw without the situational particulars.

In other words...... you’re all hypocrites.

Then why are you and others clamoring for Book to throw more long passes “without that basic information”? ? ?

You can’t have it both ways.

You can’t insist that he throw more long passes on one hand and then declare that you can’t project how many long passes Book should throw without the situational particulars.

In other words...... you’re all hypocrites.
Who's s clamoring for that ? All I've said is he needs to be more efficient on those throws. That would put less people in the box and allow the offense greater opportunities to be balanced and productive. Football 101 to everyone but you I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT