ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book's Senior Season

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
It's been well documented on this board that I was wrong about Ian Book two season's ago when I said that his ceiling was as a backup quarterback on a playoff team. Clearly I undervalued his development track and leadership intangibles.

That said, here if my prediction for Ian's senior season if he stays healthy. I think he has reached the point in terms of confidence, where he's ready to have an all time season for an ND quarterback. I think he will have a much improved offensive line, a deep, veteran group of wide receivers and trio of tight ends that will be among the best in college football. Even his running backs are excellent passers out of the backfield... Most importantly, he has an offensive coordinator in Chip Long that is a big offensive season away from a head coaching job and a quarterbacks coach that is chomping at the bit to be his own offensive coordinator in Tom Rees. I Think this group is going to be focused, confident and talented.

Ian Book, IMO, is going to have the best season as an ND quarterback since Brady Quinn in 2005 had 3919 yards passing, 32/7 TD toninterception ratio, while completing 65% of his passes.

The kid that I was wrong about is primed to have a magical senior season and I can't be any happier that I was wrong in my evaluation of him.

Enjoy folks. Barring an injury, it might be quite some time until we see another season like Ian is about to have, from an ND quarterback. All the pieces are in play for him to go off.

IIO,
I appreciate your humility in saying that you were wrong about Ian Book 2 seasons ago. I hope you’ll be right about his 2019 season.

If the offensive line can play at a high level, the sky is the limit for Book and this offense.

It's been well documented on this board that I was wrong about Ian Book two season's ago when I said that his ceiling was as a backup quarterback on a playoff team. Clearly I undervalued his development track and leadership intangibles.

That said, here if my prediction for Ian's senior season if he stays healthy. I think he has reached the point in terms of confidence, where he's ready to have an all time season for an ND quarterback. I think he will have a much improved offensive line, a deep, veteran group of wide receivers and trio of tight ends that will be among the best in college football. Even his running backs are excellent passers out of the backfield... Most importantly, he has an offensive coordinator in Chip Long that is a big offensive season away from a head coaching job and a quarterbacks coach that is chomping at the bit to be his own offensive coordinator in Tom Rees. I Think this group is going to be focused, confident and talented.

Ian Book, IMO, is going to have the best season as an ND quarterback since Brady Quinn in 2005 had 3919 yards passing, 32/7 TD toninterception ratio, while completing 65% of his passes.

The kid that I was wrong about is primed to have a magical senior season and I can't be any happier that I was wrong in my evaluation of him.

Enjoy folks. Barring an injury, it might be quite some time until we see another season like Ian is about to have, from an ND quarterback. All the pieces are in play for him to go off.
Agree he just needs to improve in a few areas.

His big opportunity is putting up great stats and wins against a great team and D.

Reactions: Kelso86
Get the touch on the deep ball and I agree. We have speed

The deep ball is significant as much as some around here want to downplay it... I think that Chip Long said the offense had a total of 2-3 plays over 50 yards last season, and one of them was obviously Dexter on the ground at Virginia Tech. I also remember a screen to Michael Young at Wake Forest that went a long way and a Kevin Austin catch on a slant vs Navy...

That means that they did not connect on a single deep ball that travelled more than 10 yards through the air and wound up as a 50+ yard play. Chip said that they were efficient last year but lacked explosion. The year before that they were ripping off huge long runs on the ground and connecting on longer pass plays through the air.

He wants 2017's explosive offense, combined with 2018's efficiency. I doubt t he'll truly get all of both, but a nice mix of the two makes Notre Dame a better, more dangerous offense, that has a hope in hell of scoring vs an Alabama or a Clemson in a potential playoff matchup.

Reactions: zonairish

I tend to agree. My concern is that defenses had a year to get the “book” on him and if a D coordinator is worth anything they look at the Clemson game and stack the first ten to fifteen yards

Granted, not many teams have the personnel Clemson does but the principle of pressure and jumping the short route is a great plan to make Book beat you long or with a balanced attack

If defenses do this, I do not think Book has huge success over the season. He is smart, sees the field better than any QB we’ve had in a very long time, and can improvise

So I see him having big success. How big depends on if he can win the big games at UGA, UM, Stanford

Question for the board: What ND QB has seen the coverage better than Book? I say Book sees coverage better than any QB since Montana. Only other guy I would put as a second is Tommy Rees who could read defenses superbly BUT I don’t think Rees was as good as Book in second or third options and reading live coverage

Plus Book is a much better athlete than Tommy

Reactions: Kelso86
I tend to agree. My concern is that defenses had a year to get the “book” on him and if a D coordinator is worth anything they look at the Clemson game and stack the first ten to fifteen yards

Granted, not many teams have the personnel Clemson does but the principle of pressure and jumping the short route is a great plan to make Book beat you long or with a balanced attack

If defenses do this, I do not think Book has huge success over the season. He is smart, sees the field better than any QB we’ve had in a very long time, and can improvise

So I see him having big success. How big depends on if he can win the big games at UGA, UM, Stanford

Question for the board: What ND QB has seen the coverage better than Book? I say Book sees coverage better than any QB since Montana. Only other guy I would put as a second is Tommy Rees who could read defenses superbly BUT I don’t think Rees was as good as Book in second or third options and reading live coverage

Pitt was successful and actually was the first to show how to beat book, and pittD was bad.

Pocket presence is most important improvement he needs to make.

The line backers have to step up but every top caliber program goes through this. We lose players do we have better one that will replace them

Well said but I think you meant to say best season for an ND quarterback since Jimmy Clausen 2009 3722 yards and a 28/4 TDvs pic while completing 68% of his passes..... for a team I would say was significantly worse than BQ's 2005 team.

The deep ball is significant as much as some around here want to downplay it... I think that Chip Long said the offense had a total of 2-3 plays over 50 yards last season, and one of them was obviously Dexter on the ground at Virginia Tech. I also remember a screen to Michael Young at Wake Forest that went a long way and a Kevin Austin catch on a slant vs Navy...

That means that they did not connect on a single deep ball that travelled more than 10 yards through the air and wound up as a 50+ yard play. Chip said that they were efficient last year but lacked explosion. The year before that they were ripping off huge long runs on the ground and connecting on longer pass plays through the air.

He wants 2017's explosive offense, combined with 2018's efficiency. I doubt t he'll truly get all of both, but a nice mix of the two makes Notre Dame a better, more dangerous offense, that has a hope in hell of scoring vs an Alabama or a Clemson in a potential playoff matchup.
I recall Book and Boykin hooking up for a long pass play score against Pitt, but overall not many big plays in the air.

If you have a dominant OL and big back RB you can get away with the intermediate passing attack.
For average OL’s and RB’s you need the deep threat to compliment the overall offense.

If you have a dominant OL and big back RB you can get away with the intermediate passing attack.
For average OL’s and RB’s you need the deep threat to compliment the overall offense.

Against elite defenses you still need the ability to throw over the the top, regardless of what your personnel looks like. A defense like the one Clemson had last year is not going to let you methodically drive down the field for 5-6 TD's over the course of the game. And that's the number of them you need to score in order to beat them. They might like let you do it 2-3 times if you're exceptional, but they're putting 35-40 points on you with their offense at the same time.

Against elite defenses you still need the ability to throw over the the top, regardless of what your personnel looks like. A defense like the one Clemson had last year is not going to let you methodically drive down the field for 5-6 TD's over the course of the game. And that's the number of them you need to score in order to beat them. They might like let you do it 2-3 times if you're exceptional, but they're putting 35-40 points on you with their offense at the same time.
Clemsons back end of their D last year was there for the taking. Teams exposed it, ND did not and had opportunities. South Carolina hit big play after big play. Bama and others hit a bunch as well.

Practice report 1 is book still can't hit a pass consistently over 10 yards. Not getting concerned yet because it's one practice, but it would be nice to hear the curse of year 2 QBs under Kelly isn't happening again.

Clemsons back end of their D last year was there for the taking. Teams exposed it, ND did not and had opportunities. South Carolina hit big play after big play. Bama and others hit a bunch as well.

Practice report 1 is book still can't hit a pass consistently over 10 yards. Not getting concerned yet because it's one practice, but it would be nice to hear the curse of year 2 QBs under Kelly isn't happening again.

Yeah at this point they have to get their timing back. If three weeks from now he still can't hit a wide open Finke on a double move, I'll be concerned.

Reactions: zonairish
Yeah at this point they have to get their timing back. If three weeks from now he still can't hit a wide open Finke on a double move, I'll be concerned.
Concerning part was hearing he was missing wide open receivers and scrambling when he had throws over the middle there. Sounds like last year.

Come on Book, please be improved!

In my opinion it comes down to 2 games. Even if Book is incapable of consistently throwing the ball ten yards down field the nature of the schedule still has 10 wins baked into it. It just comes down to Georgia and Michigan. I am not really thrilled by stats as you can pump them up against inferior teams. I recall Ron Paulus as a true freshmen breaking the TD record in a game in his first game. Everyone is parading him around and declaring Heisman plus Noble peace prize for beating up on a stinker. People said the same thing about John Navarre when he went 25-28 against a MAC team. Let's measure a QB when they are under adversity. Can you do something when everything has been taken away from you? Unfortunately we will not be able to predict and will have to wait until Georgia.

“the schedule still has 10 wins baked into it.”

Uh-huh! nailed it!

Unfortunately, our offensive line was mediocre at best last year. Amazing that we still went through the season undefeated. This year, Book will have more time to deliver the long ball. Last year he didn't have that time.

Unfortunately, our offensive line was mediocre at best last year. Amazing that we still went through the season undefeated. This year, Book will have more time to deliver the long ball. Last year he didn't have that time.
Agree that’s why I don’t like seeing Sunday’s report of missed open receivers downfield without duress

Concerning part was hearing he was missing wide open receivers and scrambling when he had throws over the middle there. Sounds like last year.

Come on Book, please be improved!

Are you guys nuts or just naive or both.

He completed 68.2 % of his passes, so he didn’t miss too many throws.

A critical element in any QB’s passing success is TIME.

You can’t complete many passes when you’re on your back and you can’t complete many passes when your pocket collapses or a defender rushes your throw.

TIME is the critical element and TIME is determined by your protection scheme starting with the offensive line.

Match ups and game plans factor into providing the QB with time.

It also helps to have talented receivers with extended catch radiuses ! :):)

Last edited:
Book is a great QB, as long as you never have to throw it more than 20 yards. Throwing downfield, he's not very good. But hopefully he'll have a great season.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
Book is a great QB, as long as you never have to throw it more than 20 yards. Throwing downfield, he's not very good. But hopefully he'll have a great season.

Give us the statistics that support your position!

All except for the sideline.

It's amateur night on our sideline. It shouldn't be considering it's Kelly's 97th year of coaching but it is.

We run plays to our weaknesses. That's #1.

We dont "GO FOR IT" as in pull the God damn string and let it rip.

We did with Wimbush but he couldn't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.

Ian is much more accurate than BW but...

The question remains. Why aren't we throwing the ball down the field?

You yourself...I don't have time to dig up quotes shared my frustration of the dink and dunk offense. We get little nibbles of yardage in the passing game. No chunk yardage plays.

Look at the Clemson Bama game. The scoring (a lot ) including both teams was littered with big plays. Even when not scoring they racked up tons of yardage with crossing routes etc..

I like Book.

I'm the freaking one that told the board he was starting by week 3-4.

Book's limitations was, is our sideline.

He's told to throw a three yard curl and sit down.

I don't blame Book....I blame our very incompetent sideline.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

"Book is a great QB, as long as you never have to throw it more than 20 yards. Throwing downfield, he's not very good. But hopefully he'll have a great season."

And what expert analysis can you provide to support this?

It's amateur night on our sideline. It shouldn't be considering it's Kelly's 97th year of coaching but it is.

You yourself...I don't have time to dig up quotes shared my frustration of the dink and dunk offense. We get little nibbles of yardage in the passing game. No chunk yardage plays.

Look at the Clemson Bama game. The scoring (a lot ) including both teams was littered with big plays. Even when not scoring they racked up tons of yardage with crossing routes etc..

I like Book.

I don't know that I've read a post of yours in the last few months that has had to do with anything but how much you hate the ND coaching staff.

We get it. You think Chip Long and Brian Kelly call a bad game. Do you have anything else to add at this point? Because it feels like you just copy and paste the same post from thread to thread.

don’t get that Long/Kelly game calling criticism, the only time ND loses is when they face more talented and physically superior teams.

I like Book.

Perhaps this is why Wimbush was the starting QB and only became the backup when he was struggling? When everyone was anointing Book as the savior, I pointed out that Book has a lower upside. If the coaching staff is pulling the plug on the deep throws it is because Book is not successful at it in practice. If Book was capable there is no reason for the BK and staff to panic and forgo the deep pass.

ND fans should be happy with BK that BK went with the QB he thought had the potential to win it all. BK went with Book only when it was painfully clear Wimbush was not capable of reaching his potential.

Let’s all hope that IIO is right in his enthusiastic optimistic prediction for Book. Like Nasty and several others have noted, we haven’t seen anything to suggest that Book has improved in the three areas where improvement is needed: Pocket presence under pressure, throwing with accuracy over the defense, and making throws over the middle. That is not saying he hasn’t made great strides in these areas, just that we have nothing yet to suggest he has. Eagerly looking forward to Fall practice notes of how Book is doing in each of these areas. His accuracy on short and mid range throws is really elite, and if he shows significant improvement in these areas, IIO’s prediction for greatness is in reach.

don’t get that Long/Kelly game calling criticism, the only time ND loses is when they face more talented and physically superior teams.
I'm not 88, but that is just factually inaccurate with regards to Kelly. Long hasn't lost. But kelly has lost to many man inferior teams while coaching at ND. Look at the entire 2016 season.

With that said, Kelly has improved drastically and is truly building a program of excellence, and long is a part of that.

I don't love long, but he shows flashes of brilliance, with spells of ineptitude.

Last edited:
Let’s all hope that IIO is right in his enthusiastic optimistic prediction for Book. Like Nasty and several others have noted, we haven’t seen anything to suggest that Book has improved in the three areas where improvement is needed: Pocket presence under pressure, throwing with accuracy over the defense, and making throws over the middle. That is not saying he hasn’t made great strides in these areas, just that we have nothing yet to suggest he has. Eagerly looking forward to Fall practice notes of how Book is doing in each of these areas. His accuracy on short and mid range throws is really elite, and if he shows significant improvement in these areas, IIO’s prediction for greatness is in reach.
I have super high hopes because I believe ND on Offense will be better as a WHOLE at every position if healthy. If book improves, sky is the limit for this offense.

O line - Everyone is back but Mustipher (after barr got injured) and I think they'll all be improved since they were so young last year. I thought Sam although extremely smart, was one of the most physically limited Olinemen we've had starting in some time. Big improvement potential

TE - A healthy kmet is a top NFL TE Talent, and we have young talent hopefully ready to contribute behind him

WR - Lost boykin but have everyone else back. I feel chase is at the correct position he shoudl have been playing, and I think he is better than Boykin. We also have a ton of young talent (austin as well), that seems to now be ready to contribute.

RB - We lost Dex, the best pure runner we've had at ND since probably Julius Jones. With that said, he missed some holes and wasn't the greatest pass catcher. A healthy armstrong in my opinion has all around elite back potential, and one you can line up multiple backs with because of his and others receiving ability.

Time will tell, but this is where Kelly and Long need to make their money. They've recruited, developed every position, can they take the next step in QB development? It hasn't happened yet under Kelly at ND. I hope this is the year because Phil still is not ready to lead, he's ready to play.

I already slipped up in my opinion of Ian Book when I relegated him to a quality backup in my mind, 2 seasons ago. I figured I've been wrong on him once, I might as well see if I can redeem myself.

Reactions: Telx1
I don't know that I've read a post of yours in the last few months that has had to do with anything but how much you hate the ND coaching staff.

We get it. You think Chip Long and Brian Kelly call a bad game. Do you have anything else to add at this point? Because it feels like you just copy and paste the same post from thread to thread.
You mean like bullshit about going on vacations that nobody gives a **** about? You mean like lacing posts patting one self on the back from previous work giving off the perception of containing inside info about the recruiting trail?

Not that?

Then you mean like switching 180 degrees and suddenly kissing ass of an ass that doesn't exist?

Why is it that I don't post bullshit ripping apart our players before they even get a chance?

Reality. I actually give said player and coach a chance to prove themselves.

I post on facts right before our very eyes.

I don't need to issue half assed yet condescending board apologies because of posts that are false.

Everyone knows exactly where I'm coming from. There is no mystery.
I think the coaches suck. Performance proven.

Chase thinks recruiting sucks. He might be in love with the silly S+P+W+XY rating but God damn it he sticks to his guns.

I've much more respect for anyone who sticks to what they believe than flip flopping every other month.

The ND football world according to you...
Book hasn't taken a meaningful snap but is nothing but gristle. He can't ever be a good QB. He's just an afterthought.

Now... it's Book will have a season for the ages. He'll be the best thing in a decade. Just an incredible season lies ahead for him.

Long...you say he calls plays from the cracker box in so many words. He's juvenile. Can't call a game to save his life. 3 yard passing gane over and over.

Now... suddenly Long is a good season away from being some hot head coaching commodity. All without playing any games mind you since the last anemic showing that you ripped him apart over.

Oh and I almost forgot the really cool one. Telling the board all about planning your vacations and things are just great in your world. After your morning toast and jog I think it was. LOL

P.s.
Somethimg I take a little more personally...

You want to rip Brian Kelly and team to shreds for having a tough go of it against Navy. The problem is you spent more evergy actually making fun of Navy and how on earth can we "only" perform that much against the lowly Midshipmen.

If you really are a ND fan then you'd know we don't ever disrespect the academies. Not ever. We hope we beat them of course but we only need 1 more point.

Thx,
Appreciate it,
Have a great day

Reactions: shabak
Perhaps this is why Wimbush was the starting QB and only became the backup when he was struggling? When everyone was anointing Book as the savior, I pointed out that Book has a lower upside. If the coaching staff is pulling the plug on the deep throws it is because Book is not successful at it in practice. If Book was capable there is no reason for the BK and staff to panic and forgo the deep pass.

ND fans should be happy with BK that BK went with the QB he thought had the potential to win it all. BK went with Book only when it was painfully clear Wimbush was not capable of reaching his potential.

"If the coaching staff is pulling the plug on the deep throws it is because Book is not successful at it in practice. If Book was capable there is no reason for the BK and staff to panic and forgo the deep pass."

Are you suggesting that the coaching staff actually observe players in practice and may know just a tab bit more than anyone on the board?

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT