ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book's Senior Season

Tom Brady’s longest completion in the super bowl was 29 yards including YAC

How do you throw a deep ball down the field when you don’t have time ?
Didn't know ND was playing against Aaron Donald last year? our Oline was far from perfect last year, but when did he not have time other than the second half vs Clemson. He had ample time the first half. Clemson with the big lead just pinned their ears back in the second half.

Tom Brady will tell you he had a bad game in the super bowl, and the defense really won that game.

“I honestly don't think anyone here has an "agenda" when it comes to Book. folks personal opinions that's all. I like Book. I think he's a very good college QB . ND is lucky to have him. That said I also think that when his eligibility is up at ND his football career will likely be over. I hope I'm wrong about that.”

We can disagree about agendas and I could care less about his pro potential, but based on who has been picked in the draft at the position, there’s no reason why he can’t be picked at some point, especially w/ the way shorter qbs are taken more often lately (ie mayfield & Murray). And imagine, he’s got another year of eligibility, you guys are gonna have to endure another season of the dog killer.
Curious, is there a shorter QB that you compare Book to that has been drafted recently? Obviously book is not similar to Mayfield and Murray.

Curious, is there a shorter QB that you compare Book to that has been drafted recently? Obviously book is not similar to Mayfield and Murray.

At times last year especially during his first 6 starts before the rib injury Baker Mayfield was actually one of the players that came to mind when I was watching Ian book. mostly with the ability to escape the pocket and make guys miss well keeping his eyes his eyes on his receivers and delivering an accurate ball in the face of the pass rush. Please YouTube Ian books condensed game vs Stanford last year to get an idea what I mean.

one of the reasons why the offense was so hard to get off the field last year was Ian book was able to make so many escapes and save yards even if he ultimately just threw the ball away. He is also good at resetting plays and finding an open man downfield. He's a very underrated playmaker with the ball in his hands and even when the defense makes a good play he can punish them with his elusivity. I know for a fact that his cone drill times at the combine next year are going to be elite among the quarterbacks -- he has legit elite agility

Mayfield has obviously taken his game to a whole nother level the last few years but I definitely see a resemblance to the early version of Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Me either. I'm predicting 10-2, only because of the three tough road games and Brian Kelly's 3-11 record on the road while at Notre Dame. I think ND goes undefeated at home, loses in Athens and splits @Stanford and @Michigan. They could also win both those games and go 11-1... I'll eat my crow, per usual if they win in Athens (obviously an injury to Jake Fromm could change a lot).

Anything less than 10-2 and a top 10 finish, with an opportunity to play in a Big Bowl Game, would be underachieving in my mind.

What do mean by “Kelly’s 3-11 record on the road?” He’s definitely coached more than 14 road games.

“Curious, is there a shorter QB that you compare Book to that has been drafted recently? Obviously book is not similar to Mayfield and Murray.”

Why “obviously”? I think there are some similarities in all 3 of their games. These guys were top draft picks, I’m not saying book will be a high draft pick. But w/ that said, if book played the last two years for a Lincoln Riley led offense w/ arguably the best oline in the country and Hollywood brown running around, book would’ve lit it up too.

Reactions: nemeth#5
At times last year especially during his first 6 starts before the rib injury Baker Mayfield was actually one of the players that came to mind when I was watching Ian book. mostly with the ability to escape the pocket and make guys miss well keeping his eyes his eyes on his receivers and delivering an accurate ball in the face of the pass rush. Please YouTube Ian books condensed game vs Stanford last year to get an idea what I mean.

one of the reasons why the offense was so hard to get off the field last year was Ian book was able to make so many escapes and save yards even if he ultimately just threw the ball away. He is also good at resetting plays and finding an open man downfield. He's a very underrated playmaker with the ball in his hands and even when the defense makes a good play he can punish them with his elusivity. I know for a fact that his cone drill times at the combine next year are going to be elite among the quarterbacks -- he has legit elite agility

Mayfield has obviously taken his game to a whole nother level the last few years but I definitely see a resemblance to the early version of Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma.
Mayfield has an elite arm, book does not. I agree on style of play though.

Reactions: mirer03
“Curious, is there a shorter QB that you compare Book to that has been drafted recently? Obviously book is not similar to Mayfield and Murray.”

Why “obviously”? I think there are some similarities in all 3 of their games. These guys were top draft picks, I’m not saying book will be a high draft pick. But w/ that said, if book played the last two years for a Lincoln Riley led offense w/ arguably the best oline in the country and Hollywood brown running around, book would’ve lit it up too.
Both are more athletic than book and both have elite arms. I agree mayfield style of play is similar to book, but again they have elite arms.

“Both are more athletic than book and both have elite arms. I agree mayfield style of play is similar to book, but again they have elite arms.”

I agree they both have bigger arms but book’s isn’t as bad as some say it is and he's an excellent athlete too, but as I said, I’m not saying he’s as good as either of them, but he may be good enough to get drafted and play at the next level. I know he needs to work on things and is far from a finished product, but if he puts up similar numbers to last year and plays well enough in the big games, there will undoubtedly be talk of him leaving for the draft. Let’s hope that’s the case but I also realize that there’s a chance he regresses and doesn’t get close to last year’s numbers. If that happens, I’ll be first in line to say I overestimated him.

“Both are more athletic than book and both have elite arms. I agree mayfield style of play is similar to book, but again they have elite arms.”

I agree they both have bigger arms but book’s isn’t as bad as some say it is and he's an excellent athlete too, but as I said, I’m not saying he’s as good as either of them, but he may be good enough to get drafted and play at the next level. I know he needs to work on things and is far from a finished product, but if he puts up similar numbers to last year and plays well enough in the big games, there will undoubtedly be talk of him leaving for the draft. Let’s hope that’s the case but I also realize that there’s a chance he regresses and doesn’t get close to last year’s numbers. If that happens, I’ll be first in line to say I overestimated him.
I think he could be an nfl backup, and I also think his arm isn’t his biggest issue as some think.

Didn't know ND was playing against Aaron Donald last year? our Oline was far from perfect last year, but when did he not have time other than the second half vs Clemson. He had ample time the first half. Clemson with the big lead just pinned their ears back in the second half.

Tom Brady will tell you he had a bad game in the super bowl, and the defense really won that game.

No, Tom Brady won’t tell you that he had a bad game.

How on earth did Book complete 68.2 % of his passes.

So Clemson’s defensive line just loafed it in the first half ?

It's been well documented on this board that I was wrong about Ian Book two season's ago when I said that his ceiling was as a backup quarterback on a playoff team. Clearly I undervalued his development track and leadership intangibles.

That said, here if my prediction for Ian's senior season if he stays healthy. I think he has reached the point in terms of confidence, where he's ready to have an all time season for an ND quarterback. I think he will have a much improved offensive line, a deep, veteran group of wide receivers and trio of tight ends that will be among the best in college football. Even his running backs are excellent passers out of the backfield... Most importantly, he has an offensive coordinator in Chip Long that is a big offensive season away from a head coaching job and a quarterbacks coach that is chomping at the bit to be his own offensive coordinator in Tom Rees. I Think this group is going to be focused, confident and talented.

Ian Book, IMO, is going to have the best season as an ND quarterback since Brady Quinn in 2005 had 3919 yards passing, 32/7 TD toninterception ratio, while completing 65% of his passes.

The kid that I was wrong about is primed to have a magical senior season and I can't be any happier that I was wrong in my evaluation of him.

Enjoy folks. Barring an injury, it might be quite some time until we see another season like Ian is about to have, from an ND quarterback. All the pieces are in play for him to go off.

Ian Book will win the Heisman !

No, Tom Brady won’t tell you that he had a bad game.

How on earth did Book complete 68.2 % of his passes.

So Clemson’s defensive line just loafed it in the first half ?
Is this for real?

Do you know what a defense has to account for when it’s a 3 point game in the first half vs 20 point game in the second half?

Nd had no threat of the run in the second half.

Book hit 68% because he’s extremely accurate on quick short passes, he didn’t push the ball much or go over
Middle at all.

All quarterbacks play better versus worse competition and play worse versus better competition this should just be intuitively obvious.

In college football when you're in Michigan's or Notre Dame's tier e.g. top 10 or top 15 or so in talent you may play only a couple of games all season against programs that are equal or better. And in one or two game sample sizes there's a ton of volatility in performance. Point being it is hard to take anything from a single performance in a single game and draw any real reliable conclusions about the quality of a player.

You have to evaluate the player's performance holistically based on the collective of all of his games during the season... the sample size is just way too small otherwise. And when you do that book was easily a top 10 or so quarterback in all of college football last season and this was a first time starter with alot of relatively mediocre skill players on offense.

I've never seen anything like it in all my years following Notre Dame. it is almost like every single player on offense became twice as good instantly after Ian book was inserted at QB and all of the overall offensive-numbers were backing up these observations.

Which is why I had the biggest boner for book and was astonished that I was seemingly the only one who noticed just how much of an impact he was having. Most Notre Dame analyst were just criticizing him or complaining about the occasional couple of really bad missed open passes down-field while not really discussing anything else he was bringing to the table. There were even fans--to my utter disbelief--hoping that wimbush would take the starting job back when book broke his ribs and had to sit out a week midseason. Then there were a lot of fans expecting Phil Jerko would take over at quarterback this offseason--since he couldn't possibly be as bad as Ian book--a notion which was equally as shocking to me.

I'm glad that posters whose opinion I have a lot of respect for are starting to come around though.

For some reason Ian books game or physiology is just not aesthetically pleasing to the common Notre Dame football fan and he doesn't fit the mold that people typically associate with Star quarterbacks (like Trevor Lawrence for example who looks like he walked off a set in a football movie in Hollywood to play quarterback for Clemson). This is my guess as to why Book's game is easy to overlook.

Our little 6 ft nothing quarterback with relatively mediocre arm strength who looks like a walk-on running back trying to play quarterback in the 4th quarter of the blue&gold game or something is one of the best offensive players in college football heading into 2019 ... He gets a ton of volume between pass attempts and the read-option both of which he operates at an elite level...moreover, the upside of Notre Dame's 2019 offense and season for that matter will be only as high as this single player can take it.
I agree that tougher competition generates inferior stats. My point is that really good QB's rise to the occasion and make the plays. The fakes like Navarre fail horribly. Navarre's failure like most fakes is the inability to deal with pressure. In 2004 Rose Bowl UM was overmatched and Navarre had his Clemson moment. Think he was sacked 12 times. Against Iowa he complete imploded in the 2nd half. Despite all of it UM had the ball with a couple minutes to go on the Iowa 44 yard line and Navarre wiffs on two straight plays where the receiver was wide open. In the other loss against Oregon receivers are wide open on Carr's favorite play the deep out. This is normally Navarre's best throw as he does have a cannon. One problem the old stadium had a crown and Navarre is too stupid to realize it. It takes him most of the game to figure out why he is throwing the ball two feet above his receivers reach. I won't even go into the near disaster in the metro dome where Navarre almost singlehandedly give the game to a horrible gopher team. Detecting a pattern? Away games. Pass rush, tight coverage, screaming fans in an indoor stadium and Navarre would accelerate his habitual spiting.

2002 was more of the same. Navarre completely blows it against Washington. Misses wide open receivers. But UM gets a gift as 12 men on the field for the last play of the game puts UM in FG position. Against Wisconsin with the game tied last Carr implores Navarre to step up. Navarre fails horribly but gets bailed out when the Wisc returner fumbles the punt with 2 minutes left in the game. Then of course there was the OSU game where all Navarre has to do is make one play and just can't. His fumble late in the 4th quarter was the difference in the game.

A good QB makes a few plays instead of choking and spitting.

Is this for real?

Do you know what a defense has to account for when it’s a 3 point game in the first half vs 20 point game in the second half?

Nd had no threat of the run in the second half.

Book hit 68% because he’s extremely accurate on quick short passes, he didn’t push the ball much or go over
Middle at all.

I know what a defense has to account for on every play.

“Quick short passes”. What a joke. Why don’t you look at his YPA stats before making a dumb statement like that.

Love Book. Love Wimbush. Love IIO. Just read P Sampson. Book may not see the field the way Phil is playing...

“Quick short passes”. What a joke. Why don’t you look at his YPA stats before making a dumb statement like that.
When book throws it 5 yards to Mack and TJ then they run for a 40yd TD, book gets credit for all the yards. Longest pass play last year was book to young, a throw behind the LOS.

Books three longest pass plays last year were throws around the LOS.

Keeping digging yourself a deeper hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
Sure wish that guy that used to put the videos together back in the day (nevin o’donnell I think his name was) would cut up book’s 214 completions so we can put to bed this bull$h1t narrative that all book did was throw 3 yd curls and pop passes all season long. It certainly fits some poster’s obsession w/ the dog killer, but it’s 100% BS.

Sure wish that guy that used to put the videos together back in the day (nevin o’donnell I think his name was) would cut up book’s 214 completions so we can put to bed this bull$h1t narrative that all book did was throw 3 yd curls and pop passes all season long. It certainly fits some poster’s obsession w/ the dog killer, but it’s 100% BS.
Here you go again spreading fake news and manipulating the words of what other people say.

No one I repeat no one has said he ONLY throws short passes.

I’d love to see his completion percentage under 10 yards downfield vs over 10 yards.

I think he could be an nfl backup, and I also think his arm isn’t his biggest issue as some think.
I just dont see this. He may get a shot ala kellen moore, but his arm is not nfl caliber and you are talking about 64 spots for qbs in the nfl. He wont be a starter...so 32 spots. Id say at least 15 teams are happy with their qb situation at back up, so maybe 17 spots for Book to try and get one.

When teams carries three qbs he would be perfect for the 3 role, but its iust not reality anymore. Im sure teams will kick the tires, but id ie surprised to see him as a 2 in the nfl.

He was 39% completion on throws over 20 yards. Not good.

I just dont see this. He may get a shot ala kellen moore, but his arm is not nfl caliber and you are talking about 64 spots for qbs in the nfl. He wont be a starter...so 32 spots. Id say at least 15 teams are happy with their qb situation at back up, so maybe 17 spots for Book to try and get one.

When teams carries three qbs he would be perfect for the 3 role, but its iust not reality anymore. Im sure teams will kick the tires, but id ie surprised to see him as a 2 in the nfl.
Possible, but teams value having a backup QB with no issues off the field and elite accuracy. With that said, book has no chance of making it to the nfl without improving immensely in the pocket. I think improving in the pocket will make his arm better. He threw so many downfield throws flat footed or off his back foot. If he starts stepping in to his throws, I think he'll be more accurate downfield, and show a stronger arm than he has shown.

He will be a backup in the nfl for sure. Id be shocked if he didn't make a roster

“Here you go again spreading fake news and manipulating the words of what other people say.”

Spreading fake news? Pot, meet kettle. I don’t need to manipulate any words. They’re right there in a slew of posts from a few of you that make sh1t up about his play last season. The reasons may vary (embarrassing initial evaluations, undying love for wimbush, and in your case, book accidentally running over your dog), but make no mistake, for a qb that had the season that book had last year and receive the way over the top criticism he’s received is the epitome of “fake news”.

“Here you go again spreading fake news and manipulating the words of what other people say.”

Spreading fake news? Pot, meet kettle. I don’t need to manipulate any words. They’re right there in a slew of posts from a few of you that make sh1t up about his play last season. The reasons may vary (embarrassing initial evaluations, undying love for wimbush, and in your case, book accidentally running over your dog), but make no mistake, for a qb that had the season that book had last year and receive the way over the top criticism he’s received is the epitome of “fake news”.
i honestly don't think the criticism has been over the top. i really don't. some may be a little obsessed with his shortcomings but i think the criticism has been pretty fair and accurate in my opinion. Book has to improve in certain phases of his game for ND to be a team able to win it all. Others do too but he's the face of the program right now. It's his team. he has to have better pocket presence and hit the intermediate and deep throws well enough to keep quality defenses honest. it's the only way ND can have balance on offense against quality opponents.

i honestly don't think the criticism has been over the top. i really don't. some may be a little obsessed with his shortcomings but i think the criticism has been pretty fair and accurate in my opinion. Book has to improve in certain phases of his game for ND to be a team able to win it all. Others do too but he's the face of the program right now. It's his team. he has to have better pocket presence and hit the intermediate and deep throws well enough to keep quality defenses honest. it's the only way ND can have balance on offense against quality opponents.
Yep, francade and a few others make it out like those wanting to see improvements from book think he's down right awful. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's the improvements needed to take the next step and be a national championship caliber team and not get embarrassed again. If book is healthy all year and doesn't improve we win 8 games minimum, most likely 9 or 10, again that is if he DOES NOT improve. If he improves we win 11 or 12. Defense is a big part of it, but this year we have the chance to outscore teams if needed. Ideally we are really good on both sides and we blow out teams and really build depth.

as a selfish Notre Dame fan I hope ian books game doesn't project to the next level that means we will surely get a couple more years out of him at this level. But after his off-season and his performance at the different camps he went to including a lot of the feedback that he's gotten regarding his pro prospects I seriously doubt that is the case. players who put up some of the numbers he was able to put up last year don't grow on trees ... he'll get plenty of opportunities to play at the next level especially if he has the type of season that most people are expecting

Also I don't mind criticism of Ian book he certainly not perfect and he's far from Peyton Manning or even Trevor Lawrence but I have issues with the clowns who think Phil jurkovec is crap because he wasn't able to beat out Ian book this offseason. I have issue with the fans who wanted Brandon wimbush to get another chance after Ian book was clearly by far and away the best quarterback on the roster last year.

I have issues with fans who blame Ian book for Notre Dame's lack of competitiveness in the game versus Clemson last year as well. Obviously Ian book deserves criticism for not playing well vs. Clemson but Notre Dame's lack of competitiveness in that game was a program failure and a team failure not a Ian book failure.

I also think fans are so critical of Ian book because they expect this player despite all the value he's brought as a low 3-star player whose emerged as one of the best quarterbacks in the country to be so good as to patch up all the other problems in the program and be some kind of next level God to help balance the scales between Notre Dame and the first tier of teams who are simply much stronger programs than Notre Dame is right now. it is unfair to place that kind of burden on anyo player and hold them to that kind of standard. It is like there is this sentiment that he must single-handedly save the program from all of its weaknesses and faults or before ever considered trash.

the other reason I think there's a lot of criticism for Book is because the varying analysts on this site namely Brian D. has been extremely critical of Ian book since he took over for wimbush last season unfairly so including other respected members of this forum like i i o who have a lot of influence on how fans view the players and the coaches on this team.

It isn't Notre Dame having a talent issue that is holding the program back but it is Ian book not being able to throw a deep ball :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yep, francade and a few others make it out like those wanting to see improvements from book think he's down right awful. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's the improvements needed to take the next step and be a national championship caliber team and not get embarrassed again. If book is healthy all year and doesn't improve we win 8 games minimum, most likely 9 or 10, again that is if he DOES NOT improve. If he improves we win 11 or 12. Defense is a big part of it, but this year we have the chance to outscore teams if needed. Ideally we are really good on both sides and we blow out teams and really build depth.
I concur Ian Book of last year generates 10 wins.

“Yep, francade and a few others make it out like those wanting to see improvements from book think he's down right awful. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's the improvements needed to take the next step and be a national championship caliber team and not get embarrassed again. If book is healthy all year and doesn't improve we win 8 games minimum, most likely 9 or 10, again that is if he DOES NOT improve. If he improves we win 11 or 12. Defense is a big part of it, but this year we have the chance to outscore teams if needed. Ideally we are really good on both sides and we blow out teams and really build depth.”

Nasty, if this were the tenor of the majority of your posts on book, I’d be on board. I don’t think he’s perfect. I also think that some of you are expecting things from him that may not match his size. A shorter qb is just not gonna sit in the pocket the way a 6-5 prototype would. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but it’s the over the top stuff like he should be benched if he doesn’t improve that I disagree w/. That’s outlandish. There’s no coach in the country that would bench a qb that played the way book did last year. And there’s plenty of other stuff that’s been posted as nauseam that is overly critical, imo. Bottom line, I thought he played really well last year. I also think there’s room for improvement. A repeat is no given, let’s hope it’s improvement and not regression and worst case scenario, a repeat (sans the Clemson game).

“i honestly don't think the criticism has been over the top. i really don't. some may be a little obsessed with his shortcomings but i think the criticism has been pretty fair and accurate in my opinion. Book has to improve in certain phases of his game for ND to be a team able to win it all. Others do too but he's the face of the program right now. It's his team. he has to have better pocket presence and hit the intermediate and deep throws well enough to keep quality defenses honest. it's the only way ND can have balance on offense against quality opponents.”

That’s fine, echo, you may not think it has been, I do. As for him needing to be better to keep defenses honest and create more balance, we scored close to 37 points a game w/ book in the lineup, I don’t think your assessment can be applied to any game he played other than Clemson, and they just had 3 d-lineman drafted in the first round a couple months ago and had one of the best front sevens in quite some time. It was a bad matchup for us and not one part of the offense stepped up. I know it starts w/ the qb, and had he played better, we would’ve had a better chance obviously, but w/o the line, rbs & wrs & playcalling performing better too, it wouldn’t have been enough anyway. He was 17-34, factor in about 4-5 drops and all of the sudden, two parts of the offense that didn’t play well (qb & wr corps) actually don’t play too bad, and now we have a puncher’s chance. We just needed to have one or two parts of the offense to play well and none did. He’ll get the brunt of the blame but it was a collective dud.

If he can get that to the 50-55% range I'd be thrilled. Just enough to hit some plays over the top for touchdowns and the stop opposing secondary's from being able to jam on every down and squat in off coverage.

Reactions: echowaker
“Yep, francade and a few others make it out like those wanting to see improvements from book think he's down right awful. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's the improvements needed to take the next step and be a national championship caliber team and not get embarrassed again. If book is healthy all year and doesn't improve we win 8 games minimum, most likely 9 or 10, again that is if he DOES NOT improve. If he improves we win 11 or 12. Defense is a big part of it, but this year we have the chance to outscore teams if needed. Ideally we are really good on both sides and we blow out teams and really build depth.”

Nasty, if this were the tenor of the majority of your posts on book, I’d be on board. I don’t think he’s perfect. I also think that some of you are expecting things from him that may not match his size. A shorter qb is just not gonna sit in the pocket the way a 6-5 prototype would. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but it’s the over the top stuff like he should be benched if he doesn’t improve that I disagree w/. That’s outlandish. There’s no coach in the country that would bench a qb that played the way book did last year. And there’s plenty of other stuff that’s been posted as nauseam that is overly critical, imo. Bottom line, I thought he played really well last year. I also think there’s room for improvement. A repeat is no given, let’s hope it’s improvement and not regression and worst case scenario, a repeat (sans the Clemson game).
You don’t bench book but once you know you’re out of playoff picture you start playing Phil much more than just blowouts.

Not good ?

You’re living in a dreamworld.

It’s very good.

Tom Brady only completed 9 % of passes of 20 or more yards and only 1 % of passes of 40 yards or more.

Brady completed 65.8 % of his passes, Book 68.2 %.

Brady’s YPA is 7.64, Book’s is 8.4.

As for Book’s long passes:

USC. 51
Sry. 47
NU. 47
Navy. 38
Pitt. 35
VT. 56
SU. 35
Wake. 66

When book throws it 5 yards to Mack and TJ then they run for a 40yd TD, book gets credit for all the yards. Longest pass play last year was book to young, a throw behind the LOS.

Books three longest pass plays last year were throws around the LOS.

Keeping digging yourself a deeper hole.

The stats don’t lie, 68.2 % CP, 8.4 YPA, 12.28 YPC

You don’t seem to know very much about football.

[QUOTE="Patrirish, post: 2729725, member: 65557"

The stats don’t lie, 68.2 % CP, 8.4 YPA, 12.28 YPC

You don’t seem to know very much about football.

Tom Brady completes 9 % of his passes for 20 Yards or more and ONLY 1 % of his passes for 40 yards or more.

By your standards Brady isn’t a good deep ball thrower.

Do you know anything about football ?

Not good ?

It’s very good.

Tom Brady only completed 9 % of passes of 20 or more yards and only 1 % of passes of 40 yards or more.

USC. 51
Sry. 47
NU. 47
Navy. 38
Pitt. 35
VT. 56
SU. 35
Wake. 66
This is 100% fake news and a lie. Brady did not complete only 9% of passes 20 yards or more and only 1% of passes over 40 yards in ANY SEASON SINCE HE WAS 14!

The worst in the league last year was San Darnold around 20%. You had 5-10 nfl QBs over 50% with goff on target 67% on throws over 20 yards.

Lets look at these passes

USC was a 2 yard swing pass to TJ
SYR was a awesome 20 yard throw hitting Mack in stride
NU was an actual deep pass to Young
Navy was a 5 yard crossing route to Austin
Pitt was a great throw downfield to Boykin
VT Great throw downfield
Wake was a bubble screen behind LOS to Young
You forgot about the short mis direction throw to mack vs stanford for 35 as his long pass.

Yes he threw a couple good long passes downfield last year, but not many.

“i honestly don't think the criticism has been over the top. i really don't. some may be a little obsessed with his shortcomings but i think the criticism has been pretty fair and accurate in my opinion. Book has to improve in certain phases of his game for ND to be a team able to win it all. Others do too but he's the face of the program right now. It's his team. he has to have better pocket presence and hit the intermediate and deep throws well enough to keep quality defenses honest. it's the only way ND can have balance on offense against quality opponents.”

That’s fine, echo, you may not think it has been, I do. As for him needing to be better to keep defenses honest and create more balance, we scored close to 37 points a game w/ book in the lineup, I don’t think your assessment can be applied to any game he played other than Clemson, and they just had 3 d-lineman drafted in the first round a couple months ago and had one of the best front sevens in quite some time. It was a bad matchup for us and not one part of the offense stepped up. I know it starts w/ the qb, and had he played better, we would’ve had a better chance obviously, but w/o the line, rbs & wrs & playcalling performing better too, it wouldn’t have been enough anyway. He was 17-34, factor in about 4-5 drops and all of the sudden, two parts of the offense that didn’t play well (qb & wr corps) actually don’t play too bad, and now we have a puncher’s chance. We just needed to have one or two parts of the offense to play well and none did. He’ll get the brunt of the blame but it was a collective dud.
i clearly said against "quality defenses ".

Not good ?

It’s very good.

USC. 51
Sry. 47
NU. 47
Navy. 38
Pitt. 35
VT. 56
SU. 35
Wake. 66
putting Tom Brady in a discussion about QB play with Ian Book is absurd. The only true thing they have in common is they are both caucasian and both breathe oxygen. That's where the comparisons end.

Reactions: d1042 and nemeth#5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT