ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia/ FSU

No I'm afraid notredamerises23 speaks the truth here.
Clearly Ga is one of the 4 "best", but the committee had an agenda
The whole thing is an ethical/conceptual shitshow. They just do it however they want to do it. Apply any rules or principles to justify their choices in a thoroughly arbitrary fashion. The four best teams was always complete bullshti, pure rhetoric. It only was invented as a concept to create that latitude. And the injured player clause is merely an add-on to that. Because indeed I think everyone would probably consider UGA to be the best team in the country, on talent, on ability, regardless of record. And certainly one of the best four. And no one even questioned the fact they didn't get in. Or maybe they did on sports talk radio or whatnot. But it wasn't part of the narrative. It was only FSU and their injured QB.

The upshot being it's ironic, I suppose, the claim that FSU being blown out by UGA is somehow the proof that the committee 'got it right'. When really what it did was suggest the direct opposite.

The whole thing is an ethical/conceptual shitshow. They just do it however they want to do it. Apply any rules or principles to justify their choices in a thoroughly arbitrary fashion. The four best teams was always complete bullshti, pure rhetoric. It only was invented as a concept to create that latitude. And the injured player clause is merely an add-on to that. Because indeed I think everyone would probably consider UGA to be the best team in the country, on talent, on ability, regardless of record. And certainly one of the best four. And no one even questioned the fact they didn't get in. Or maybe they did on sports talk radio or whatnot. But it wasn't part of the narrative. It was only FSU and their injured QB.

The upshot being it's ironic, I suppose, the claim that FSU being blown out by UGA is somehow the proof that the committee 'got it right'. When really what it did was suggest the direct opposite.
The committees decision is a walking contradiction

Even with a full roster and with Travis at QB , FSU wasn’t going to win that game. Georgia is loaded. The real crime is that they were left out of the playoff. Georgia is easily one of the top 4 teams. Maybe top 2. They had only 1 loss in two years. They deserved to be in the playoff
They played a crap schedule and lost a game.

Forget the eye test as that is basically an ESPN/sec created get an sec team in no matter what clause.

If you play no body then lose one of the few real games you had, you don't get in. Period.

Forget the eye test as that is basically an ESPN/sec created get an sec team in no matter what clause.

If you play no body then lose one of the few real games you had, you don't get in. Period.
I got what you’re saying. However, it’s not like they lost to a bad team. They lost to Alabama by 3. My point was that the committee states they are looking for the 4 “ best “ teams. So if Georgia is going to be penalized for losing, then logically Alabama shouldn’t be in. They lost at home to Texas by 10. Plus they won through miraculous help against a very average Auburn team. It just really illustrates how flawed the entire process is when picking the top 4 teams. Next year it’s 12 teams. Hopefully that will work for the long term.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish

They beat LSU and Florida. Which is more than most can say for OOC opponents. You're basically saying the ACC is an illegitimate conference and should never be considered for the playoff as a matter of course.

Basically you're just full of shit, and flailing for any half-ass logic you can glom onto.

EDIT to add I think I misunderstood this poster. He was bagging on UGA, and not FSU. Even though UGA did deserve to be in if judged honestly and solely on who is believed and felt to be among the four 'best' teams. Because in that case wins and losses don't really matter. It's purely abstract, and not about achievements per se, and wins and losses are only one particular means to arrive at that speculative, subjective determination...

Last edited:
You have noway of knowing that
And you had no way of knowing UCF when undefeated wasn't the best team in the country. Did you think they deserved the NC ?

I use many things to try and determine who the best teams really are

You have to use the eye test and common sense when watching cfb. It's not the NFL

Reactions: Pennick4
Did I think UCF should of won the NC in 2017?
Could they've beaten Clemson, or Bama?
It would of been nice to see
Was there a playoff format?
The eye test and common sense didn't tell you Ga. deserved to be in the playoff?
Common sense and the eye test showed me when the chips were down for FSU they overcame adversity and found another way to win. Because it wasn't pretty doesn't mean it wasn't effective

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Did I think UCF should of won the NC in 2017?
Could they've beaten Clemson, or Bama?
It would of been nice to see
Was there a playoff format?
The eye test and common sense didn't tell you Ga. deserved to be in the playoff?
Common sense and the eye test showed me when the chips were down for FSU they overcame adversity and found another way to win. Because it wasn't pretty doesn't mean it wasn't effective
That doesn't compete for a NC. You're trying to argue for something that just gets by

I got what you’re saying. However, it’s not like they lost to a bad team. They lost to Alabama by 3. My point was that the committee states they are looking for the 4 “ best “ teams. So if Georgia is going to be penalized for losing, then logically Alabama shouldn’t be in. They lost at home to Texas by 10. Plus they won through miraculous help against a very average Auburn team. It just really illustrates how flawed the entire process is when picking the top 4 teams. Next year it’s 12 teams. Hopefully that will work for the long term.
Georgias best win was against frickin Missouri and they almost lost to auburn. The notion that most sec teams play garbage out of conference schedules and get their rankings fattened up to be slaughtered by the top of the sec is simply bullshit. At the end of the season Georgia had 4 opponents they could roll out the third stringers in the first half. The advantageous scheduling should carry with it a larger penalty for failure.

They beat LSU and Florida. Which is more than most can say for OOC opponents. You're basically saying the ACC is an illegitimate conference and should never be considered for the playoff as a matter of course.

Basically you're just full of shit, and flailing for any half-ass logic you can glom onto.

EDIT to add I think I misunderstood this poster. He was bagging on UGA, and not FSU. Even though UGA did deserve to be in if judged honestly and solely on who is believed and felt to be among the four 'best' teams. Because in that case wins and losses don't really matter. It's purely abstract, and not about achievements per se, and wins and losses are only one particular means to arrive at that speculative, subjective determination...

Florida ?

Really ?

Here's a heads up-------Florida is an average at best football team.

Bama beat Ole Miss , LSU , Tenn and Georgia-----all way better than Florida.

USF , Kentucky and Auburn who they also beat were just as good as the Gators.

Florida ?

Really ?

Here's a heads up-------Florida is an average at best football team.

Bama beat Ole Miss , LSU , Tenn and Georgia-----all way better than Florida.

USF , Kentucky and Auburn who they also beat were just as good as the Gators.
You've fallen for the sec con game.

Georgias best win was against frickin Missouri and they almost lost to auburn. The notion that most sec teams play garbage out of conference schedules and get their rankings fattened up to be slaughtered by the top of the sec is simply bullshit. At the end of the season Georgia had 4 opponents they could roll out the third stringers in the first half. The advantageous scheduling should carry with it a larger penalty for failure.
Missouri that is top 10 and beat up on OSU ?

What about top 10 Ole Miss that beat up on Ped St?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
So just getting by is exactly what Alabama did, and Ga was with out their best player in Brock Bowers.....kinda ironic isn't it
Beating Ole Miss, LSU and Tenn (all ranked) by 14 points each and then beating the number 1 team In the country gets you in

Bowers played against Bama

I think GA was clearly a top four team but the committee is what it is

FSU earned the slot but was tossed

frankly if you were going to go by how they look I agree with FSU out but then GA should have been in

Its all PR and MONEY

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Beating Ole Miss, LSU and Tenn (all ranked) by 14 points each and then beating the number 1 team In the country gets you in

Bowers played against Bama
Beating LSU,Clemson,Duke(all ranked)
And winning their conference championship against Louisville going UNDEFEATED, and did need a lucky pass and game officials help to close out their season against a 6-5 very bad team should of got you into the playoffs

Bowers was injured 2 game prior to the SEC Championship did not play the whole game do the that injury

Now if FSU said their starting QB was going to be ready for the playoffs would that been enough, instead of honest......because deception will rule the roost now
Didn't listen to many tomahawk chop chants yesterday.
And you won't what the starters are playing

And winning their conference championship against Louisville going UNDEFEATED, and did need a lucky pass and game officials help to close out their season against a 6-5 very bad team should of got you into the playoffs

Bowers was injured 2 game prior to the SEC Championship did not play the whole game do the that injury

Now if FSU said their starting QB was going to be ready for the playoffs would that been enough, instead of honest......because deception will rule the roost now
Go watch some NFL, it's on TV all day, and move on.

I am definitely not suggesting their schedule was “ all that tough “. It clearly wasn’t. But they were undefeated for 2 straight years. Just to clarify, I am saying they had a shot to beat Alabama and didn’t. They win and they are in. It’s that simple. With that said, the committee and analysts all said it is the 4 best teams that are picked. You can disagree, it is all good. I think Georgia, based on the “ 4 best teams” logic , regardless of schedule, are one of the top 4 teams in the country. That is my view and I’m sure some agree and some do not. That’s fine. Just my personal opinion, nothing more. I respect your opinion as well.

A lot of guys who played were in the 17 and they had another 5 who were "injured" and didn't play.

22 guys on total I believe who were not playing in the game

They were not whole. They won by 60
They were whole, they had all of their starters playing minus the injured ones.

The 17 opt outs had very little game time experience. Garbage time during the season.

Bowers played against Bama and had 5 catches

Duke ended up with 5 losses and Riley was hurt during the game and got injured in that game again.

Not without their QB it wasn't enough. Not even close. If Travis would have been ready by the Playoffs, they would be in

Without him, they didn't belong

Brock Bowers played for Georgia against Alabama.
He was injured prior to the SEC Championship game and then aggravate it during the game.
Maybe that's what FSU should of done.
Tell everyone one he be ready for the playoffs, and then game day decision to not play him.
Doesn't pay to honest does it

He was injured prior to the SEC Championship game and then aggravate it during the game.
Tell everyone one he be ready for the playoffs, and then game day decision to not play him.
Everyone knew he wouldn't be back for at least 9 months with that injury.

It was all over for them as soon as he got hurt

QB is much more important than TE

First everyone is up in arms about FSU getting left out now it is about GA not getting on. Lol
Oh the outrage!
There are only 4 teams in this playoff. The committee did as it was charged and got it right.

Doesn't pay to lose 63-3 as well.

You open yourself up to heaps of criticism.

And rightfully so.
Imagine if Marcus Freeman whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and then got beat 63-3 in a bowl game.

This place would go bananas.

Last edited:
Bowers played against Bama and had 5 catches

Duke ended up with 5 losses and Riley was hurt during the game and got injured in that game again.

Not without their QB it wasn't enough. Not even close. If Travis would have been ready by the Playoffs, they would be in

Without him, they didn't belong
You obviously didn't watch the SEC Championship, or you would if remember Bowers aggravating the injury and never returned.
Duke was ranked when they played them
It was enough to win an ACC championship, and, keep the team undefeated that much we know. Just because it wasn't pretty the committee tought that meant weak, but probably used it as the excuse they need to put an SEC team in
Now what is weak is the committee and those that support their decision and the difficult time they are having arguing FSU injured QB which didn't stop them from winning a conference championship , and saying we need the 4 best teams all the while silent to Ga. not being in.
The committee is a walking contradiction
Fact FSU found a different way to win against their #1 ruval (unlike Alabama who was fully staffed and needed help from officials to beat their #1 rival who was 6-5), but some how those facts never factored into it.
And let's not forget what Rick Neuheisel reported when he was there when the previous SEC commissioner said when setting up the playoff format that no matter what an SEC team will be invited.

This is what FSU should of done.
Tell everyone one yhe QB WILL be ready for the playoffs, and then game day decision to not play him, and this is how it will payout from now on, because if you think the committee won't be screwing anyone over with the next round of playoffs you are sorely mistaken

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT