ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Update

What are your other areas of expertise? Care to share how you became an "expert" on ND? Lol
Almost every sport, but more specifically golf at this stage. Math and science academically. I grew up a passionate ND fan from an early age, did everything I could to play sports at ND. Official visit, multiple camps and unofficial visits. In the end, they wanted me as a preferred walk on when others major D1 schools were offering scholarships. It was tough to pass up a preferred walk on position at ND, that's how much I wanted to go there, but in the end, it was the right decision.

ND fan logic:
Any in demand recruit with good pedigree that ND doesn't get: ND passed.

Also it's hard to rely on the quotes of anybody who is talking to the media which is why i don't carry subscriptions to any of these services.

If they were talking to ND reporters who they told previously "i love ND can't wait for an offer they are definitely one of my favorites" and then they start looking somewhere else, or get another offer they want, and they start to fade ND, if that same ND reporter comes back around and asks them "what happened i thought you were high on ND" .. what do you expect them to say ?

"no i'm fickle and got better offers that were more attractive than ND"

Of course not.

For the life of me I can't understand the decision the staff made regarding Cody Simon... At the Opening he measured in at 6'1, 214lbs and scored 126+ on his Sparq testing. 98th percentile, or better, in each event...

As a pure Will backer, I like him better than his brother, Shayne. I don't think he has the position versatility Shayne does and I think he's a tad shorter and not quite as long, but he's going to be a STUD on the weak side, ala Te'von Coney circa 2017.

I think passing on Cody will go down as a huge miss, despite ND's numbers at linebacker... He has really good film. He tore up his regional camp. He's a perfect ND fit and now he's scoring 126+ at the Opening.

Clark Lea knows what he's doing. I'm not worried about that. But this is puzzling a pass, IMO. Kid is going to be a 235lb stalwart for the Buckeyes.
I suspect this is at least partially a case of Notre Dame having something work, and falling in love with it. It happens to be versatility this time. They wanted someone they could plug and play at multiple positions and passed on someone who would be a stud at one. I don't believe it's numbers...if they truly wanted him they would find room.

Yeah there are plenty of players they moved off of. I think Chase has a valid point in that its hard to know what really happened on some of them unless you are just taking a ND mod's opinion as true. With the 3 I mentioned there is confirmation from the player, not just the mod that ND stopped communications long before they went elsewhere.

Chase is a moron & will always take the side that is anti-ND staff.
The mods talk to these kids. The kids tell the mods what is happening. The mods talk to their HS coaches, since that is who the ND staff has to go through to make contact, they know how much communication there is. The mods also talk to the ND staff offline & know who they are going after.
If you notice, the mods will post who ND isn’t recruiting months before the recruit announces.
ND is very open & honest with recruits, like in the Nixon situation, so the backgrounds are all out there.

Something interesting I didn’t know about Watts, & probably why his ranking is lower than it should be. Kid plays both ways on the football team, is the best player on the basketball team, & then runs track in the third season. So he plays three sports & doesn’t play football yearround & doesn’t get to go to camps.
So once he gets to college & plays just football he will only get better.

Saw some quotes or comments stating he wanted to play WR and ND recruiting him at CB, he was a take potentially at WR if Watts wasn't going to commit. Sounds like watts is NDs in a few hours.
I don't think ND ever told Nixon they wanted him at WR. I believe he was always only a Defensive recruit.

Chase is a moron & will always take the side that is anti-ND staff.
The mods talk to these kids. The kids tell the mods what is happening. The mods talk to their HS coaches, since that is who the ND staff has to go through to make contact, they know how much communication there is. The mods also talk to the ND staff offline & know who they are going after.
If you notice, the mods will post who ND isn’t recruiting months before the recruit announces.
ND is very open & honest with recruits, like in the Nixon situation, so the backgrounds are all out there.
Ok but you and I both know that on this board most don't read or have access to what our Mods put out there.

Ok but you and I both know that on this board most don't read or have access to what our Mods put out there.

Even if they did, some on here still wouldn’t believe them because they have an agenda.
There have been times I’ve told people on here a fact & given them the source (like the player’s father) & a few will still argue it because they just want to be negative.

Reactions: Mick Killme
Even if they did, some on here still wouldn’t believe them because they have an agenda.
There have been times I’ve told people on here a fact & given them the source (like the player’s father) & a few will still argue it because they just want to be negative.
Ok man I don’t think we disagree. I just gave examples of where not believing that ND passed on someone doesn’t make sense

Watts! I really like our recruiting haul this year! Wow, great news...

Watts to ND............ Not huge on him at WR, but really like his position flexibility especially at Safety if we don't land a good one this year.

Watts to ND............ Not huge on him at WR, but really like his position flexibility especially at Safety if we don't land a good one this year.

Now that he has committed the backstory to his recruitment has been posted.
ND held him in the same regard as Johnson & McMillan, & above Henning.
ND staff loves him.
After he went to Michigan & they saw him perform in person they put him at top of their board too.
Nebraska has commit from borderline 5 Star Betts & they even think Watts is just as good or better.
So ND, UM & NU all see this kid a top of the board WR.

Funny side story, Watts actually committed officially on Monday. Later that day the other ND site & a Nebraska site both put picks in for Nebraska. LOL
The mods on here knew Watts had already committed to ND & just told us that the other picks were wrong.

Something interesting I didn’t know about Watts, & probably why his ranking is lower than it should be. Kid plays both ways on the football team, is the best player on the basketball team, & then runs track in the third season. So he plays three sports & doesn’t play football yearround & doesn’t get to go to camps.
didn't know this either. thanks for sharing

I have read that a number of times as a good reason to think a player is undervalued. As soon as they can focus their nutrition, weight lifting, technique development and playbook understanding on one position, they improve rapidly.

That logic could apply to Jack Kiser as well.

Reactions: Hardknocks94
Watts! I really like our recruiting haul this year! Wow, great news...

Watts is a good player in a REALLY deep year at wide receiver. IMO, he should be ranked higher than he is. Yes his competition in Nebraska is awful but if you compare him to a player with a similar body type and skill set, let's say Isaiah Robertson from a couple years ago, for example, Robertson was ranked significantly higher as a composite 4 star player, but I'd take Watts all day between the two based on film.

I'm not seeing a Jalen McMillan, Jordan Johnson, Demond Demas, Julian Flemming type of talent, but I think this kid is definitely a high floor type prospect.

With Watts committed, I think we can assume the offensive class is wrapped up for 2020. ND now has 17 commits and the number i keep hearing for this class is not going to exceed 20. With that said, who gets the last 3 spots? If it were up to me I'd take Lathan Ransom, Malcom Greene, and Cody Simon. Unfortunately, i think only one of those is a possibility. Thoughts???

Well considering ND would've pursued Simon harder had they wanted him and that he's committed to the Buckeyes, I would say that ship has sailed. Ransom we'll likely be in it til the end but I dont know what happens there.

Well considering ND would've pursued Simon harder had they wanted him and that he's committed to the Buckeyes, I would say that ship has sailed. Ransom we'll likely be in it til the end but I dont know what happens there.

Ransom is committing to OSU on the 16th.

I thought ND was still in the market for two more offensive linemen? They missed their mark last year by one and one transferred and now they miss by two? I think ND will take as much talent as they can get and let the numbers take care of itself. Coach Kelly had a mindset change three years ago and it's worked so far.

I thought ND was still in the market for two more offensive linemen? They missed their mark last year by one and one transferred and now they miss by two? I think ND will take as much talent as they can get and let the numbers take care of itself. Coach Kelly had a mindset change three years ago and it's worked so far.
They stopped recruiting a couple 4 star guys in this cycle. They have one of the 3 best ot next year already, a top 10 guard and are in on a few big time guys on the OL. OL depth is not a problem

I’m a little confused by the years in this? Are you saying ND missed by one last year? (2019). Because they landed a top 3 OL class.
(Carrol, Correl, Olmstead, Kristofic).
This year (2020) they only wanted 2-3.
Next year (2021) they have Fisher (14th ranked nationally), Crippen (top 150), & are the leader for Tengwall (top 50).

If the stated objective was five and you add four minus one, then that leaves three--I think? The same is true this year--four minus two equals two? I do believe believe that means ND wanted to add nine offensive linemen over the 2019 and 2020 classes but only added five. Somewhere down the road ND will miss those five bodies. I do not feel ND is though recruiting offensive linemen in this class. I count LS with special teams and yes we are getting a fine one in this class.

If the stated objective was five and you add four minus one, then that leaves three--I think? The same is true this year--four minus two equals two? I do believe believe that means ND wanted to add nine offensive linemen over the 2019 and 2020 classes but only added five. Somewhere down the road ND will miss those five bodies. I do not feel ND is though recruiting offensive linemen in this class. I count LS with special teams and yes we are getting a fine one in this class.

I think their numbers are good Ara but how many guys who have 2 years eligibility left do the 2 years is a big question.

That isn't something you can forecast right now.

I do believe they are well positioned for a very good 2021 class.

what you see in the last two (2) classes that differs from previous classes is playmakers!
There are 3-4 legit playmakers in addition to the usual good group of commits

I think their numbers are good Ara but how many guys who have 2 years eligibility left do the 2 years is a big question.

That isn't something you can forecast right now.

I do believe they are well positioned for a very good 2021 class.
I think everyone can be back next year if they want. I do think tommy is gone if he plays well this year.

I dont get the worry about OL depth and recruiting.

I am going by what HH said he wanted going into the 2019 class and what Coach Quinn said going into this class. If the coaching staff is happy with what they've got then it's fine with me. I'm happy if the team's winning on Saturday. You need a strong talented group of big uglies to open holes for the fast guys to make plays. I don't get worried about things I have no control over. I let the coaches worry--they get paid the big bucks after all. I was simply making an observation.

I am going by what HH said he wanted going into the 2019 class and what Coach Quinn said going into this class. If the coaching staff is happy with what they've got then it's fine with me. I'm happy if the team's winning on Saturday. You need a strong talented group of big uglies to open holes for the fast guys to make plays. I don't get worried about things I have no control over. I let the coaches worry--they get paid the big bucks after all. I was simply making an observation.
If staff had any concerns with the OL they could have easily got 1 or 2 more 4 star guys in this cycle. No sense in taking an extra body they arent that high on in 2020 when 2021 has multiple guys they really want and have a really good shot of landing.

I never heard those numbers from anyone. If Quinn did say that Im sure every position coach wants a ton of guys at their spots but it's not realistic. I heard 3 the whole time. But with the studs we are leading for in 21 it would be silly to just add a guy who doesn't have a chance to play and is not elite. 21 we will take 4 and im sure if an elite guy wanted in we'd take 5. No worries here

The oft debated issue, more important, coaching vs talent, well it is starting to lean in way of coaching.
Helton has USC ranked @ #61.

Would anyone have fathomed USC, freakin USC! being out of the top 25? out of the top 50?

Coaching, especially very bad from top to bottom coaching can clearly decimate a program.

The oft debated issue, more important, coaching vs talent, well it is starting to lean in way of coaching.

Would anyone have fathomed USC, freakin USC! being out of the top 25? out of the top 50?

Coaching, especially very bad from top to bottom coaching can clearly decimate a program.
USC schedule is brutal in the beginning. USC could be 1 and 4 entering the Notre Dame game. If that is the case Helton won’t be the coach

Reactions: jcswoopnh

The only place I still see this "debate" taking place is among ND fans or among college football fans over the age of 50. But I digress on that.

I think an often overlooked component to this discussion is that good head coaching in college football isn't just drawing up plays, wearing a whistle, and making sure players and coaches are doing their job correctly.

Good head coaching in college football also means being an excellent procurer of talent. Scouting it, recruiting it, nurturing it, developing it, etc. also making sure your roster from 1-85 is full of the best and most diverse talent in the country. Basically the type of responsibility that NFL GMs are tasked with.

In essence good head coaching in college football can't be separated from the talent on the roster -- they are each and of the same.

Last edited:
The only place I still see this "debate" taking place is among ND fans or among college football fans over the age of 50. But I digress on that.

I think an often overlooked component to this discussion is that good head coaching in college football isn't just drawing up plays, wearing a whistle, and making sure players and coaches are doing their job correctly.

Good head coaching in college football also means being an excellent procurer of talent. Scouting it, recruiting it, nurturing it, developing it, etc. also making sure your roster from 1-85 is full of the best and most diverse talent in the country. Basically the type of responsibility that NFL GMs are tasked with.

In essence good head coaching in college football can't be separated from the talent on the roster -- they are each and of the same.
nonsense......as always.

A good head coach has the responsibility to procure that talent! It is part of the job description!

Brian Kelly is a good head coach, he's made good changes to the program to get it back on track. He has a chance to be a great coach, and they will take making additional changes. I think his biggest room for opportunity right now (we'll see it this year) is QB development. You should get better as a QB with more time playing, that just has not happened under his tenure at ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT