ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Update

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
It's been a couple months since I've posted one of these. Since that time, some of ND's top recruits have come off the board, while other prospects have been identified.

As I try to predict ND's 2020 recruiting class, keep in mind how fluid recruiting is, so the class that I list is based on info that I receive behind the scenes, the info that is public for all to read, typical ND recruiting trends, etc, etc...

I'm predicting that the eventual class consists of 22 players.

QB: Drew Pyne
RB: Chris Tyree
RB: Cullen Coleman
WR: Jordan Johnson
WR: Michael Redding Jr
Slot: AJ Henning (this year's Griffith)
TE: Michael Mayer
TE: Michael Bauman
OT: Tosh Baker
OT: Jonah Monheim
OG: Peter Skoronski

DE: Deontae Craig
DE: Alex Ehrensberger
DROP: Jordan Botelho
NG: Aidan Keanaaina
DT: Rylie Mills
LB: Cody Simon
S: Christian Gonzalez
CB / S: Lovie Jenkins
CB: Clark Phillips
CB: Landen Bartleson
LS: Alex Peitsch

I think that class would finish in the 8-11, a decent bump over the classes ND has landed in previous years. As of right now I feel least certain about the secondary. Certainly guys like Elijah Gaines or Jordan Morant could be members of the class, but as of right now, the guys I listed are who I feel best about.

I think the offensive line class could be a disappointment after Tosh Baker, but I think Jonah Monheim could turn into a Jarrett Patterson type steal.

I think the WR class and RB class are going to be really good, while the DL class is going to be a 5 man group that hits on a couple top targets (Mills and Botelho) and settles on a trio of players that I still really like.

Overall, I'm happy with this class... How does this class go from really good, to great? A combination of these things!

Andrew Gentry decides to postpone his mission and chooses Notre Dame.

Braiden McGregor spurs Michigan for Notre Dame.

Tirek Murphy decides to pair up with Chris Tyree to make one of the best RB tandems in the nation

Jordan Morant and Lathan Ransom susprise everyone.

ND gets in on 2-3 big time prospects throughout the process.

Thanks for posting. Care to comment on whether ND has a shot with...

Kalel Mullings
Michael Drennen
Jalen McMillan
Zak Zinter
Enzo Jennings
Ethan Pouncey

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Ho hum....

A typical BK class. Solid with nothing jumping off the page.

How many 4.4 guys are in that class?

Legit 4.4 or under guys.

The game has changed so much over the last 30 years and two key items BK has been lousy recruiting.

Perimeter offensive play makers and elite back four defensive players.

Difference maker players we just dont see hardly any.

Ho hum....

Legit 4.4 or under guys.

The game has changed so much over the last 30 years and two key items BK has been lousy recruiting.

Chris Tyree runs sub 4.4. AJ Henning, Landen Bartleson and Clark Phillip's have all run in the 4.4's or low 4.5's (which translates to running in the 4.4's with college strength training) this spring.

Chris Tyree
Jordon Johnson
AJ Henning
Tosh Baker
Clark Phillips

Are all top 100 kids.

Michael Redding
Rylie Mills
Jordan Botelho

Are all on the cusp of moving into the top 100 (all sit in the top 125) and are ascending.

I think that would be ND's best offensive skill class, three potential top 100 WR, a 5 star, top 100 running back who is a sprint champion, and 2 of the top 3 TE's in country, including #1 overall... A borderline 5 star offensive tackle on top of it.

Last edited:
Ho hum....

Legit 4.4 or under guys.

Early morning whiny post....

Ho hum....

Legit 4.4 or under guys.

Really? No research....just blabber

Kalel Mullings
Michael Drennen
Jalen McMillan
Zak Zinter
Enzo Jennings
Ethan Pouncey

Yes, they have a shot.

They could have Zinter if they weren’t slowplaying him. I think the staff like Skoronski more right now.
McMillan probably isn’t leaving the west coast.

Kalel Mullings
Michael Drennen
Jalen McMillan
Zak Zinter
Enzo Jennings
Ethan Pouncey

I like Michigan for Jennings and Mullings. ND hasn't really been pushing for either in several months, although I think it was a mistake to back off of Jennings.

Zinter is a guy who very well could wind up in ND's class, but ND is kind of keeping him at arm's length right now. He's not their top choice at OG.

Jalen McMillan is from Fresno... I probably could just stop there. I'm going with Washington or Oregon for his services.

Michael Drennen ranks about 6th or 7th on ND's running back board behind Chris Tyree, Tirek Murphy, Kyle Edwards, Jutahn McClain, Kellen Coleman, etc.

Ethan Pouncey has not yet locked in his first vist to ND. I'm not holding my breathe at this point.

Really? No research....just blabber
Quit being in fantasy land.

How many game changing players has BK had over his tenure at skill positions?
Still waiting.....

We might be recruiting them but until they sign and show up...

All you have is fantasy land.

I'm reality and you hang on to what MIGHT happen.

I'll let you know when your MIGHT happens turns into reality.

ND will likely be 10-14 when all is said and done. Getting good players where there is the upgrade needed is more important than recruiting for a high class placement.

Reactions: Kelso86
ND will likely be 10-14 when all is said and done. Getting good players where there is the upgrade needed is more important than recruiting for a high class placement.

It's all important. You want a roster full of the best prospects in the game and you want that talent spreadout throughout every position group on the roster of course.

I read a study several years back and it's surprising how consistent a coach's recruiting baseline is from year to year. I wish i could find that study because i want to read it again. Basically, if you take a coach's last three seasons on the recruiting trail, it's a great example of what his classes will look like going forward.

NDs last three classes average out to 12th or so in recruiting ranking. More than likely that's about what we should expect in class ranking under Brian Kelly going forward. Everybody seems to be ok with this for some reason despite it placing ND multiple tiers behind the elite programs in the country, but I digress on that point.

Kelly's 2020 class ranking is 13th right now and this is typically the time of the year ND is signing its best recruits before the slow gradual decline in class ranking as we get closer to NSD.

Any type of major breakthrough/higher ceiling on the recruiting trail under Brian Kelly at this point in his career is a real long shot. But since Kelly's seat at ND is seemingly very cold, I'm desperately hoping he's an exception to the rule and can start pulling in much better classes.

Imagine the results BK could get with 5th-10th ranked classes consistently as opposed to 10-15th...

Last edited:
It's all important. You want a roster full of the best prospects in the game and you want that talent spreadout throughout every position group on the roster of course.

I read a study several years back and it's surprising how consistent a coach's recruiting baseline is from year to year. I wish i could find that study because i want to read it again. Basically, if you take a coach's last three seasons on the recruiting trail, it's a great example of what his classes will look like going forward.

ND finishes somewhere in the lower teens on aggregate (somewhere between 10-15th) in class ranking. More than likely that's what the next three classes are going to look like under Brian Kelly. Everybody seems to be ok with this, despite it placing ND way behind any type of relevance among the best programs in the country, but I digress on that point.

Kelly's 2020 class ranking is 13th right now and this is typically the time of the year ND is signing its best recruits before the slow gradual decline in class ranking as we get closer to NSD.

Expecting any type of breakthrough/higher ceiling on the recruiting trail under Brian Kelly at this point in his career at Notre Dame is setting yourself up for serious disappointment.
12-1. Playoff team.

Reactions: irontooth123

NDs last three classes average out to 12th or so in recruiting ranking. More than likely that's about what we should expect in class ranking under Brian Kelly. Everybody seems to be ok with this for some reason despite it placing ND multiple tiers behind the elite programs in the country, but I digress on that point.

Any type of major breakthrough/higher ceiling on the recruiting trail under Brian Kelly at this point in his career is a real long shot. But since Kelly's seat at ND is very cold, I'm desperately hoping for otherwise.

While I respect studies and relevant, contextualized, statistics as much as anyone, it's also important to look at the actual board in front of Notre Dame and not just a theoretical class based on past results.

Two factors that play into the evolution of a program's ability to recruit...

1. Consistent, high level winning.
2. The hiring of assistant coaches that are high end recruiting.

Do me a favour... Compare Dabo's early classes at Clemson to his classes at Clemson now. If it's true that coaches will continue to recruit at the same level of their 3 year sample at a program, explain...

2010, 2011, 2012 Clemson recruiting classes...

2010: 27th
2011: 10th
2012: 20th

Average: 19th

2017: 16th
2018: 7th
2019: 10th

Average: 11th

How did Clemson go from barely in the top 20, to the edge of the top 10 under the same head coach?... They hired excellent assistants who recruit and they won a lot of games while establishing a culture.

The truth is that ND has the guys that push the needle right in front of them and that's because they've done a lot of winning in the past 2 years. How many of the following players they land will determine where ND finishes.

WR: AJ Henning
WR: Michael Redding JR
DE: Braiden McGregor
S: Lathan Ransom

ND has a chance to add those guys to the likes of Jordon Johnson and Michael Mayer. The above players play a variety of positions and are all heavily sought after. If ND lands a number of those guys, the only thing stopping them from finishing high in the recruiting rankings would be the fact that they are are unlikely to take more than 22 players in the class... Class size. Another factor in where you finish.

While I respect studies and relevant, contextualized, statistics as much as anyone, it's also important to look at the actual board in front of Notre Dame and not just a theoretical class based on past results.

Do me a favour... Compare Dabo's early classes at Clemson to his classes at Clemson now. If it's true that coaches will continue to recruit at the same level of their 3 year sample at a program, explain...

How did Clemson go from barely in the top 20, to the edge of the top 10 under the same head coach?... They hired excellent assistants who recruit and they won a lot of games while establishing a culture.

The truth is that ND has the guys that push the needle right in front of them and that's because they've done a lot of winning in the past 2 years. How many of the following players they land will determine where ND finishes.

ND has a chance to add those guys to the likes of Jordon Johnson and Michael Mayer. The above players play a variety of positions and are all heavily sought after. If ND lands a number of those guys, the only thing stopping them from finishing high in the recruiting rankings would be the fact that they are are unlikely to take more than 22 players in the class... Class size. Another factor in where you finish.

You know full well, that having a superstar QB (CU has had 2) can elevate a team beyond recruiting rankings.
And CU has had a few dominant playmakers in addition.

You know full well, that having a superstar QB (CU has had 2) can elevate a team beyond recruiting rankings.
And CU has had a few dominant playmakers in addition.

I've made that same argument for years. I've been pushing back against Chase for years about ND's path to winning not being consistent top 5 classes, rather, diverse, top 10-12 classes, with an emphasis on coaching, development and QB play.

It doesn't change the fact that winning elevates recruiting. Clemson is a prime example.

I'll have to do some additional research (i'm being lazy right now) but don't class-ranking formulas only take into account the top 20 recruits in each class specifically to address the unfair impact larger class sizes have on the final ranking?

Also, Clemson/Dabo Swinney is a rare example that i should have cited in my original post. The Dabo Swinney/Clemson example is a total outlier.

The other 100+ coaches typically recruit to their baseline.

This is important because when less than 1% of coaches are able to greatly increase their recruiting results it means that it's very rare/difficult for some other coach to replicate that same trajectory.

I agree that good assistant coaches have an impact, but the head coach based on what i've read on the topic carries the brunt of the burden in terms of the level of athletes he's able to attract to his program.

Last edited:
I'll have to do some additional research (i'm being lazy right now) but don't class-ranking formulas only take into consideration the top 20 recruits in each class specifically to address the impact larger class sizes have on the final ranking?

Also, Clemson/Dabo Swinney is a rare example that i should have cited in my original post. The Dabo Swinney/Clemson example is a total outlier.

This is important because when less than 1% of coaches are able to greatly increase their recruiting results it means that it's very rare/difficult for some other coach to replicate that same trajectory.

I agree that good assistant coaches have an impact, but the head coach based on what i've read carries the brunt of the burden in terms of the level of athletes he's able to attract to his program.

Another interesting note... Alabama's recruiting classes under Nick Saban were #3, #3 and #4 in his first 3 full years at Alabama. Then he start winning at an elite level and they landed the #1 class from 2011 to 2017, every single year.... Saban upped his average a few spots as well.

Chris Tyree runs sub 4.4. AJ Henning, Landen Bartleson and Clark Phillip's have all run in the 4.4's or low 4.5's (which translates to running in the 4.4's with college strength training) this spring.

Chris Tyree
Jordon Johnson
AJ Henning
Tosh Baker
Clark Phillips

Are all top 100 kids.

Michael Redding
Rylie Mills
Jordan Botelho

Are all on the cusp of moving into the top 100 (all sit in the top 125) and are ascending.

I think that would be ND's best offensive skill class, three potential top 100 WR, a 5 star, top 100 running back who is a sprint champion, and 2 of the top 3 TE's in country, including #1 overall... A borderline 5 star offensive tackle on top of it.
imo, if the class you are predicting came to fruition Botehlo would be the best player. Kid is a flat out monster

On a side note, if ND landed the following DL, would you put it top 3 in the country:

SDE McGregor
DT Mills
DT AK
Drop Botelho
(Then Ehrensberger as a high upside DE)

This has been rehashed over and over. Nd is always at a disadvantage in recruiting. Take the top 25 players in any recruiting cycle and eliminate half cause they arent getting in. Id guess less than half the top 100 could get accepted

This has been rehashed over and over. Nd is always at a disadvantage in recruiting. Take the top 25 players in any recruiting cycle and eliminate half cause they arent getting in. Id guess less than half the top 100 could get accepted

Just as a marker... ND has offered 149 players (and counting) in this cycle. That's the 45th most offers nationally among FBS teams.

The reality is the disadvantage is more than just academics and weather. Look around the college landscape, programs are flat out cheating to get players, it’s not an assumption but a fact. If you think for one second the SEC and dozens of others are playing by the rules, you’re in denial. I like to think ND is and the second they don’t, I’m done as a fan. It’s why going 12-0 recruiting and doing things the right way makes it that much sweeter.

I'll have to do some additional research (i'm being lazy right now) but don't class-ranking formulas only take into account the top 20 recruits in each class specifically to address the unfair impact larger class sizes have on the final ranking?

I agree that good assistant coaches have an impact, but the head coach based on what i've read on the topic carries the brunt of the burden in terms of the level of athletes he's able to attract to his program.

you misspelled bagman

The reality is the disadvantage is more than just academics and weather. Look around the college landscape, programs are flat out cheating to get players, it’s not an assumption but a fact. If you think for one second the SEC and dozens of others are playing by the rules, you’re in denial. I like to think ND is and the second they don’t, I’m done as a fan. It’s why going 12-0 recruiting and doing things the right way makes it that much sweeter.

And the cheating is more complex. It has become like steroids detection, the guys working on masking it are better than the guys working on detection.
The cheating has redefined the college football landscape.

Accept it, like it, or if not ignore and it will go away.

Yes, they have a shot.

They could have Zinter if they weren’t slowplaying him. I think the staff like Skoronski more right now.
McMillan probably isn’t leaving the west coast.

Skoronski is 80% probability headed to Northwestern.

GOUNUII

Skoronski is 80% probability headed to Northwestern.

GOUNUII

Uhhh, what?
All the people who initially predicted NU has since flipped their picks to ND.
ND likes Baker, Christ, Gentry, etc... better. They are slow-playing Skoronski.

Uhhh, what?
All the people who initially predicted NU has since flipped their picks to ND.
ND likes Baker, Christ, Gentry, etc... better. They are slow-playing Skoronski.

I’m giving you the latest. And you’re still talking about Christ and Gentry? It no longer matters what ND thinks of Christ, Gentry or Skoronski.

GOUNUII

I’m giving you the latest. And you’re still talking about Christ and Gentry? It no longer matters what ND thinks of Christ, Gentry or Skoronski.

GOUNUII

Why doesn’t it matter?

The reason ND slow-played Skoronski & Zinter, is because they wanted Baker, Gentry & Christ.
And Gentry still matters. He just said in an interview that ND was his favorite but he wants to do his LDS mission. If it wasn’t for that he would probably go to ND, so ND is staying in contact with him in case he changes his mind.
And why doesn’t it matter what ND thinks of Skoronski? NU is praying ND doesn’t push for him.
ND is about to pick up a commitment from borderline 5 Star OT Tosh Baker. They already have a commitment from 2021 top 100 OL Crippen. And many think they are about to get another from top 50 OT Fisher. And top 100 Tengwall just names ND his leader. This after signing four top 250 OL last class.

So if you are trying to come to ND & think they are worried about OL recruiting, LOL.

Why doesn’t it matter?

The reason ND slow-played Skoronski & Zinter, is because they wanted Baker, Gentry & Christ.
And Gentry still matters. He just said in an interview that ND was his favorite but he wants to do his LDS mission. If it wasn’t for that he would probably go to ND, so ND is staying in contact with him in case he changes his mind.
And why doesn’t it matter what ND thinks of Skoronski? NU is praying ND doesn’t push for him.
ND is about to pick up a commitment from borderline 5 Star OT Tosh Baker. They already have a commitment from 2021 top 100 OL Crippen. And many think they are about to get another from top 50 OT Fisher. And top 100 Tengwall just names ND his leader. This after signing four top 250 OL last class.

So if you are trying to come to ND & think they are worried about OL recruiting, LOL.

I’m just giving you the latest on Skoronski. Nothing more. And I am well aware that ND will be just fine in their OL recruiting.

GOUNUII

I’m just giving you the latest on Skoronski. Nothing more. And I am well aware that ND will be just fine in their OL recruiting.

GOUNUII

I’m not really sure what you’re hearing?
On this side, it’s been reported by multiple sources ND is trying to decide what they want to do if Baker does indeed commit. Multiple players, Skoronski being one of them, are waiting to make a decision until they know.
If ND stopped recruiting Skoronski today he would commit to NU tomorrow. The reason he hasn’t yet is he is still talking to ND.
I know a few people, including IIO, think ND should pass on him. It seems ND’s staff is kind of feeling that way too now.

I’m not really sure what you’re hearing?
On this side, it’s been reported by multiple sources ND is trying to decide what they want to do if Baker does indeed commit. Multiple players, Skoronski being one of them, are waiting to make a decision until they know.
If ND stopped recruiting Skoronski today he would commit to NU tomorrow. The reason he hasn’t yet is he is still talking to ND.
I know a few people, including IIO, think ND should pass on him. It seems ND’s staff is kind of feeling that way too now.

Yes. ND should pass on him. They don’t need an OC in this class. But don’t kid yourself. The kid is an elite baller. And but for Zeke and his 4 years of eligibility, Pete would be much more of a priority fit for ND’s positional needs.

GOUNUII

Quit being in fantasy land.

How many game changing players has BK had over his tenure at skill positions?
Still waiting.....

We might be recruiting them but until they sign and show up...

All you have is fantasy land.

I'm reality and you hang on to what MIGHT happen.

I'll let you know when your MIGHT happens turns into reality.
one could argue that Josh Adams was a game changing player in his last year. yes he had a couple of bad games but a kid that destroyed a very good wolfpack d-line while putting up 1400 or so yds while missing several 4th qtrs due to blowouts. our irish wouldn't have won ten games without him. what do you personally consider a game changing player 88ND

Why doesn’t it matter?

So if Gentry does go on his mission, ND will pass on him for sure? I would be surprised at this if true. I would think Gentry is still worth taking even if you have to wait two years till he's enrolled.

one could argue that Josh Adams was a game changing player in his last year. yes he had a couple of bad games but a kid that destroyed a very good wolfpack d-line while putting up 1400 or so yds while missing several 4th qtrs due to blowouts. our irish wouldn't have won ten games without him. what do you personally consider a game changing player 88ND
I loved 33 trucking but.....
He wasn't an explosive player. He was long. If and when he got to the second level he had the stride to pull away.
He wasn't helped by the passing game whatsoever however. Better teams started stacking the box against him because Wimbush wasn't hurting anyone. It's a copycat league. Doesn't take long for others to start doing the same thing.

If you dont have game changers then you need to be extraordinarily exceptional at a particular thing.

Example.
The 88 ND team and 89...they were not exceptional at one thing but very explosive. Watters and the Rocket on the perimeter, Rice in the backfield. Those players were explosive.

They were quick and fast and had layers of explosive players.

The 93 team. Wasn't particularly explosive in any facet but they were so ridiculously good at running the ball. The O line moved earth and Lee Becton was the slowest incredible running back we've ever had.

We were the best rushing team in the country no matter the skewed stats from the academies.

This past year we had an explosive player in Dexter. But we can't stretch the field vertically in the passing game. So again it sort of became a 1 trick pony that if you stop Dexter the pass game wont hurt you in 1 big play.

How many plays this year did you see is catch a short crossing route in stride and take it the distance?

Few far and in between.

We make a 4 yard curl. Sit down. Catch. Get tackled immediately.

Over and over and over. Once in a blue moon we might get a back shoulder throw on the sideline picking up 15 yards.

Yes there was A PASS against Navy that was long. There was A PASS against Northwestern that was long.

But those were highly the the exceptions and certainly not routine.

If you compare us to the elite what do you see different?

Clemson...
Etienne..explosive out the back field.
Perimeter play makers.

You can stop Clemson at times but those players are gonna get you at some point.

Bama....same type of thing. They made a loving all year hitting the crossing route and then running it 50 yards for a score.

If that's where we want to be....we need to be more explosive.
Scheme or material...we need to be more explosive.

Something has to give. Either get athletes so good we win despite BK ho-hum big game approach.

Or we need a new Brian Kelly and win because of the head coach and scheme and approach.

Everything as is...we just get close and tease.

Glad that Skoronski is going to Northwestern. He'll do well there. I thought ND might try to to steal him, but I don't really want him if I'm being honest.

You're not going to move the monsters on Clemson's, Georgia's and Alabama's defensive lines, with 6'3, 280lb guards that will be lucky to get 300lbs and try to keep their athleticism.

ND doesn't need Peter Skoronski's... They need...

6'8, 280lb Tosh Baker, a 5 star basketball playing left tackle, that projects to 315lbs, with Go-Go Gadget arms and sweet feet... A more athletic Mike McGlinchey.

6'6, 300lb Landon Tengwall, a guard who is already built like a college junior and is still a plus athlete. He projects around 315lbs, strong and as mean as they come.

6'6, 300lb, Blake Fisher, a prototype tackle that can play on the left or the right side. Kid is already mauling senior DL in camps and he's a sophomore. Easily could play at 320lbs and have the athleticism of a 275lb kid.

Kids like that are ND's ticket to elite offensive lines, not 6'3 Midwestern kids who will get WRECKED when you face the creatures down South.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball
Glad that Skoronski is going to Northwestern. He'll do well there. I thought ND might try to to steal him, but I don't really want him if I'm being honest.

You're not going to move the monsters on Clemson's, Georgia's and Alabama's defensive lines, with 6'3, 280lb guards that will be lucky to get 300lbs and try to keep their athleticism.

ND doesn't need Peter Skoronski's... They need...

6'8, 280lb Tosh Baker, a 5 star basketball playing left tackle, that projects to 315lbs, with go-go gadget arms and sweet feet... A more athletic Mike McGlinchey.

6'6, 300lb Landon Tengwall, a guard who is already build like a college junior and is still a plus athlete. He projects around 315lbs, strong and as mean as they come.

6'6, 300lb, Blake Fisher, a prototype tackle that can play on the left or the right side. Kid is already mauling senior DL in camps and he's a sophomore. Easily could play at 320lbs and have the athleticism of a 275lb kid.

Kids like that are ND's ticket to elite offensive lines, not 6'3 Midwestern kids who with get WRECKED when you face the creatures down South.
Does ND have a legit chance at landing any of them? I read somewhere that Tosh is looking pretty good. Gentry still leaning towards his mission? Tx

Does ND have a legit chance at landing any of them? I read somewhere that Tosh is looking pretty good. Gentry still leaning towards his mission? Tx

ND is the favourite for all of them. Baker and Fisher are expected to announce to ND in the coming weeks.

And yes, Gentry is still locked in on his mission, otherwise, he'd probably be heading to ND and would be #2 on my list behind Baker in terms of realistic options for ND in the 2020 cycle. Fisher and Tengwall are 2021 guys at the top of ND's board, along with Nolan Rucci, another stud and Greg Crippen, who is already committed to ND.

I think ND would take 1 tackle,1 guard and Gentry[mission] and close down for 2020 unless a really great tackle recruit opened up interest in ND.Christ is gone already to UVA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT