ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Update

My track record (in my head lol) is pretty darn good. I remember having this same conversation about Robby Parris, and getting absolutely roasted. People claiming he was going to be just like Jeff S. I was on the opposite spectrum saying if we need to rely on Robby Parris at all ND is in trouble. Now I think Brunelle has slightly more talent than Paris, but the same quote remains. If we ever need to heavily rely on brunelle at the WR spot, I think our offense will be in trouble. I've been hyping claypool since we signed him. He hasn't performed consistently the way I've expected for multiple reasons, but we'll see what happens this year.

I have bold opinions, i state them, and I stick behind them. If I am wrong I admit it. I don't go around saying, Yes this person signed with ND, he must be awesome. I saw some of weis's failures coming while we were having success in 05 and 06. I remember the hype around Zach Frazier, saw him play in person, and knew he was a dud.

I thought BVG should have been fired after 2014, but was ok for 1 more year, definitely after 15. BVG on board cost 2016. Maybe we are better off today because of it. I feel not enough people take their blinders off.

Honestly, if any major team had brunelle would you care one bit. NO. ND has him, YES YES YES, we are so lucky, he's going to be so good!

"I thought BVG should have been fired after 2014, but was ok for 1 more year, definitely after 15. BVG on board cost 2016. Maybe we are better off today because of it. I feel not enough people take their blinders off. "

While BVG on board may have cost ND the 2016 season, it made Kelly realize he needed to make massive changes in how he did things and how he managed the team overall. While 2016 sucked big time, it has been a nice turnaround since then.

Now -- if he can just get his teams to get over the hump....

Melton committed to OSU. Does this mean we are done with WDE this year? We whiffed on McGregor and Melton. We stopped pursuing Yurosic and Coleman. I don't think we have much of a chance for Phillip Webb or we would have been all over him. Maybe Botelho is it at WDE this year.

It seems that the ND staff likes who they have at the drop already on roster so isn’t going to take any kids just to fill spots. They will simply move on to 2021 kids & see if any other 2020 kids they like shows interest.
It’s actually a good sign how strong the program is that they aren’t reaching just to fill spots.

"I thought BVG should have been fired after 2014, but was ok for 1 more year, definitely after 15. BVG on board cost 2016. Maybe we are better off today because of it. I feel not enough people take their blinders off. "

While BVG on board may have cost ND the 2016 season, it made Kelly realize he needed to make massive changes in how he did things and how he managed the team overall. While 2016 sucked big time, it has been a nice turnaround since then.

Now -- if he can just get his teams to get over the hump....
I somewhat stated the same, thinking BVG helped Kelly fail so bad that he had to make many good changes to correct.

I really think QB development is the last major hurdle. You can't keep playing musical chairs with QBs and have them be worse off their second year than their first year playing. This year is going to show a lot. IF book regresses, has happy feet, and still struggles down field we have a major issue. There is no reason (other than major injuries) why this ND team shouldn't have one of the best offenses in ND history.

Melton committed to OSU. Does this mean we are done with WDE this year? We whiffed on McGregor and Melton. We stopped pursuing Yurosic and Coleman. I don't think we have much of a chance for Phillip Webb or we would have been all over him. Maybe Botelho is it at WDE this year.
Michigan fans are probably pissed then because they were talking recently on Michigan boards like he was all wolverines

With some of the whiffs lately, NDs 2020 class is starting to lose its top 10 upside. If I had to put my money on it, ND finishes somewhere in the 11-13 range in class ranking by NSD.

Last edited:
With some of the whiffs lately, NDs 2019 class is starting to lose its top 10 upside. If I had to put my money on it, ND finishes somewhere in the 11-13 range in class ranking by NSD.

And that is a good class, as comprised there reasonably expected future starters and a few playmakers on both defense and offense. Not a Clemson or Alabama class but a class that will help ND be among the top 12 teams in the nation.

Michigan fans are probably pissed then because they were talking recently on Michigan boards like he was all wolverines

Michigan mods are the worst. Seriously. They feed their subscribers a lot of BS to make them happy. The mods on here told us a long time ago he wasn’t going to ND, in fact, he was going to OSU. But the UM mods (who knew he was going to OSU) kept telling their subscribers he was going to UM.

Michigan mods are the worst. Seriously. They feed their subscribers a lot of BS to make them happy. The mods on here told us a long time ago he wasn’t going to ND, in fact, he was going to OSU. But the UM mods (who knew he was going to OSU) kept telling their subscribers he was going to UM.
Actually about a week ago the mods on our (OSU) board thought he was going to UM. It wasn't till about 3 or 4 days ago that the call shifted back to us. Melton's family is originally from Ohio and still has family in the state. WR/Ath Mookie Cooper has moved up his commitment date from late July to mid-July at the latest. We like our chances. Fleming, Gee, Smith-Njigba and Cooper is a nice WR haul.

How big a '20 class do you expect to sign?. FWIW, the 2021 class in Ohio is very good, maybe the best in the last 5 years or so.

Actually about a week ago the mods on our (OSU) board thought he was going to UM. It wasn't till about 3 or 4 days ago that the call shifted back to us. Melton's family is originally from Ohio and still has family in the state. WR/Ath Mookie Cooper has moved up his commitment date from late July to mid-July at the latest. We like our chances. Fleming, Gee, Smith-Njigba and Cooper is a nice WR haul.

How big a '20 class do you expect to sign?. FWIW, the 2021 class in Ohio is very good, maybe the best in the last 5 years or so.

That’s funny because over two weeks ago the ND mods said he was going to OSU. One of them had a contact & was told OSU.
ND is only going to sign 20-21 players in 2020. Also a small class in 2021 too.
ND doesn’t oversign then process players like football factories, so they have to be careful of the 85 max.

That’s funny because over two weeks ago the ND mods said he was going to OSU. One of them had a contact & was told OSU.
ND is only going to sign 20-21 players in 2020. Also a small class in 2021 too.
ND doesn’t oversign then process players like football factories, so they have to be careful of the 85 max.
Because of the 85 max rule OSU's 2019 class only numbered 18 including the transfer of Justin Fields. I would bet over the last 5 years we are in the top 3 of all schools that had early departures to the NFL. I don't think ND has had that problem.

Because of the 85 max rule OSU's 2019 class only numbered 18 including the transfer of Justin Fields. I would bet over the last 5 years we are in the top 3 of all schools that had early departures to the NFL. I don't think ND has had that problem.
Notre Dame puts plenty of players in the NFL, as much as anyone outside of about 5 teams.

It seems that the ND staff likes who they have at the drop already on roster so isn’t going to take any kids just to fill spots. They will simply move on to 2021 kids & see if any other 2020 kids they like shows interest.
It’s actually a good sign how strong the program is that they aren’t reaching just to fill spots.
Can never have enough studs at DE. I’ll take 5 Botelho’s every year.

Notre Dame puts plenty of players in the NFL, as much as anyone outside of about 5 teams.
I was specifically referring to the fact that we lose more players early to the NFL than the Irish. As a result we probably have larger recruiting classes over a 4 year period than ND. No question you are well represented in the NFL.

We had well over 85 guys on scholarship in January. Probably like 91. So obviously we planned on processing some players. It is smart and necessary to do. We finally started doing it and we should.

We had well over 85 guys on scholarship in January. Probably like 91. So obviously we planned on processing some players. It is smart and necessary to do. We finally started doing it and we should.
I believe staff already knew of transfers. They arent processing players. They may make it known play time isnt going to happen, but they are still honoring the scholarships.

I believe staff already knew of transfers. They arent processing players. They may make it known play time isnt going to happen, but they are still honoring the scholarships.
Yeah theyll honor them. But they persuade/push/suggest guys to transfer/medical because they show them the writing on the wall. Ewell just got a medical process to get us down to 85. IMO

Can we all just come out and say it? ND is grey shirting and over signing now. It's long over due. This is what's required to win football games in modern college football.

I'm glad ND finally made the necessary adjustments to compete, but as always they are very late and instead of this being an advantage they are merely just catching up to the rest of college football.

When I criticize ND for lack of vision/ambition this is a good example. ND needs to be the program setting the trends and be out in front of any and all advantages--especially with the inherent difficulties/handicaps the program is already dealing with--not waiting a decade to catch up to the rest of college football.

Over the last 5 years or so, the very best recruiting programs are building recruiting empires with staffs into the hundreds and paying millions in salary including using the student body as interns/volunteers to recruit around the clock.

Is this something ND can do now or are they going to wait until 2030?

Last edited:
Yeah theyll honor them. But they persuade/push/suggest guys to transfer/medical because they show them the writing on the wall. Ewell just got a medical process to get us down to 85. IMO
Curious- is this fact?

That is what they are doing. You can call it "processing" or not but I think the actual number at one point was 93 players on scholarships. So obviously they oversigned. You let the player know playing time here isn't going to happen and if they want to play it would be better somewhere else. This is what ive read and heard on multiple ND podcasts. Kelly is getting better at this. The big schools do it. Maybe more blatantly and maybe they don't honor their scholarships like we do. But it's all the same. You can call it what you want. It's smart.

I was specifically referring to the fact that we lose more players early to the NFL than the Irish. As a result we probably have larger recruiting classes over a 4 year period than ND. No question you are well represented in the NFL.
You can't cherry pick one reason to make you look good at why you have larger classes. You also have a terrible graduation rate so kids quit school when they aren’t playing. That also increases your class size. You also push kids out that don’t pan out, that also increases your class size.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
I wouldn't trade our offensive recruits for anybody's because we could have 4 5 stars on this side of the ball before signing day. all of them have been dominating at summer camps so far. even Baker who I include as a future 5 star has been dominating DL guys at camps from the video footage that I've seen

I wouldn't trade our offensive recruits for anybody's because we could have 4 5 stars on this side of the ball before signing day. all of them have been dominating at summer camps so far. even Baker who I include as a future 5 star has been dominating DL guys at camps from the video footage that I've seen
Agree, but the Defense other than Botelho lacks explosive recruits. There are some solid depth guys, but defensive recruiting this cycle leaves a lot to be desired, especially with low numbers.

I LOVE ND's offensive class thus far, and it would pain me to lose Michael Mayer in this trade, but gun to my head, I take Ohio State's offensive class because of overall talent and depth of talent...

OT: Paris Johnson (#1 OT), # 8 overall.
WR: Julian Flemming (#1 WR), #5 overall.
RB: Jalen Berger (#9 RB), #54 overall.
C: Luke Wypler (#1 C), #61 overall.
WR: Mookie Cooper (#11 WR), #64 overall.
WR: Gee Scott (#13 WR), #68 overall.
QB: Jack Miller (#2 Pro), #71 overall.
WR: Jaxon Smith-Njigba (#18 WR), #89 overall.
RB: Michael Drennen (#5 APB), #206 overall.

They have 3 more offensive tackles and a tight end committed as well. 8 top 100 recruits, 2, 5 stars, and 3 players ranked #1 at their position on offense... 4 top 100 WR's and a one of the beat QB's in the class.

I'd take Clemson's defensive class over anyone's...

I'd take Ohio State's offensive class over anyone's...

Reactions: d1042
I LOVE ND's offensive class thus far, and it would pain me to lose Michael Mayer in this trade, but gun to my head, I take Ohio State's offensive class because of overall talent and depth of talent...

They have 3 more offensive tackles and a tight end committed as well. 8 top 100 recruits, 2, 5 stars, and 3 players ranked #1 at their position on offense... 4 top 100 WR's and a one of the beat QB's in the class.

It's really Ohio State's WRs that make the difference. We have one stud, they have 4. Stupid WR recruiting.

What’s interesting is what ND’s offensive class would look like on paper if ND didn’t reject commitments from five 4 Star, top 300 players. The following are guys who either tried to commit or wanted to & ND rejected them.
4 Star WR Michael Redding
4 Star OL Zak Zinter
4 Star RB Tyreke Murphy
4 Star WR Daniel Jackson
4 Star RB DeMonte Trayanum

ND’s 2020 Offensive Class Could Be (if ND wanted it):

QB Pyne
APB Tyree
RB Murphy
RB Trayanum
WR Johnson
WR Redding
WR Jackson
TE Mayer
TE Bauman
OL Baker
OL Carmody
OL Zinter

That is 12 4/5 Star, top 300 players. Crazy.

It's really Ohio State's WRs that make the difference. We have one stud, they have 4. Stupid WR recruiting.

It would be a hoot if Helton gets fired before the season starts and SC hires Meyer who then raids tOSU recruiting class! :D

Agree, but the Defense other than Botelho lacks explosive recruits. There are some solid depth guys, but defensive recruiting this cycle leaves a lot to be desired, especially with low numbers.

Botelho, is a favorite of mine, but the question is, where does he wind up playing.

Mayer, looks awesome, but the current offenses do not utilize traditional TE’s.
This guy is the 2nd coming of Kyle Rudolph! impressive physique!

You can't cherry pick one reason to make you look good at why you have larger classes. You also have a terrible graduation rate so kids quit school when they aren’t playing. That also increases your class size. You also push kids out that don’t pan out, that also increases your class size.
I admit I was wrong. OSU does not have a significant edge in recruiting class size over ND. I went back and looked at the last 10 recruiting class sizes (2010-2019) as reported by Rivals: OSU 231 total recruits, ND 227 total recruits . If your assumptions are correct please explain why the numbers are so close. It really doesn't make any sense since I'm making the wild assumption that we've had more than 4 early NFL departures than ND during this period. I'm sure you'll come up with some logical explanation why this data is flawed.

Worst case scenario for ND.

What is going on out there is very bizarre. If SC retains Helton, then the message is that football is being deemphasized, if Meyer is brought in then SC is once again serious about football. SC is recruiting at Rutgers/Purdue levels. The Ca. kids do not even seriously consider SC now.

I admit I was wrong. OSU does not have a significant edge in recruiting class size over ND. I went back and looked at the last 10 recruiting class sizes (2010-2019) as reported by Rivals: OSU 231 total recruits, ND 227 total recruits . If your assumptions are correct please explain why the numbers are so close. It really doesn't make any sense since I'm making the wild assumption that we've had more than 4 early NFL departures than ND during this period. I'm sure you'll come up with some logical explanation why this data is flawed.
In the last 8 years OSU has averaged 25 recruits per year. Notre dame has averaged just under 23. That's 2 more per year.

Serious question, how many transfers and JC players has OSU taken? I think ND has taken what 1 transfer?

FYI, Drennan and Berger have not committed to OSU. Berger is still a possibility although Bijan Robinson is our #1 RB target. It appears Drennen will not be a part of the class based on the mods on our board.

FYI, Drennan and Berger have not committed to OSU. Berger is still a possibility although Bijan Robinson is our #1 RB target. It appears Drennen will not be a part of the class based on the mods on our board.

I don't think you guys get Bijan. I think you get Berger and settle for someone down the board as your send back. I have Robinson staying out west.

In the last 8 years OSU has averaged 25 recruits per year. Notre dame has averaged just under 23. That's 2 more per year.

Serious question, how many transfers and JC players has OSU taken? I think ND has taken what 1 transfer?
Do you think there's a chance we average 2 more early departures per year to the NFL than ND does. We had 9 leave in the 2016 Draft alone and 6 more in the 2017 Draft. I don't think ND comes close to those numbers.

Unless there is something that I clearly don't know. Brilliant Job coaches!!! I hate LBs that run 4.53.

Do you think there's a chance we average 2 more early departures per year to the NFL than ND does. We had 9 leave in the 2016 Draft alone and 6 more in the 2017 Draft. I don't think ND comes close to those numbers.
50% of your players are early departures because they don't graduate.

Unless there is something that I clearly don't know. Brilliant Job coaches!!! I hate LBs that run 4.53.

Have to agree with you on this one. Big mistake by our staff. You dont turn down top 150 players that can run at linebacker. Hes a stud. Bring him in and redshirt him and act like hes part of next class. Whatever you gotta do. Just bring him in

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT