ADVERTISEMENT

Your Preference of Offense......

Irish437

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 1, 2008
What type of scheme would you like to see ND run?

It seems that year after year, ND can stockpile very good O-line talent and is becoming TE U as of late. The WR's and RBs over the last 5 to 10 years have been pretty good too. I woulds like to parlay that into a power run/play action offense.

The thing they seem to lack is getting that tough yard when they need it. I'd love to see Folston already running down hill when he gets the hand off.

It would take alot of pressure off the QB and I don't think ND needs to get into track meets with lesser teams. On paper ND should have the talent edge on roughly 8 out of the 12 opponents. About 2 should be equal talent and 2 probably have the talent edge.

I think the spread is best used when the other team has the upper hand in talent or you have a great QB with marginal players around him, giving the QB more options and possibly create some mismatches by having the other team go into nickel and dimes and marginalize the impact if they have great corners.

ND's current depth at RB could make this a challenge if they get some injuries, but overall, I think they would be able to beat a majority of their opponents into submission by the 4th quarter and limit the time the defense has to spend on the field. Nothing was better than watching Robert Hughes put the team on his back and bowl through the USC defense, except for maybe watching Bettis look like he was shot out of a cannon against Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

I'd like to see us run the read option O we saw in the bowl game with Zaire at the helm. The run first tendency gets our RBs in the flow early and opens up the pass for big plays downfield. Plus Zaire seemed like a more effective leader than Golson. We've got the depth at QB now to commit to that kind of O so let's do it and not look back.

Check out the So Lets Talk Football thread. Very good discussion on both our offense and defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT