ADVERTISEMENT

Yes Defense Sucks, but

rgc7

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 23, 2012
The game was in the offenses hands on our last possession, with about 2 1/2 minutes or so left, and three lousy play calls , got us a 3 and out ! The defense
Due to sloppy Texas Play, got us into overtime.
The defense sucks, yes, but Kelly is absolutely piss poor with the game on the Line!

True, but when you score 47 points, you should win the game. All summer people on this board have stated that we would have to outscore teams. They were right. We couldn't stop the run and we got burned over and over deep. Remember, one of their receivers dropped the ball on a deep pass that was right in his hands. He beat the DB by 3 or 4 yards. ND's offense is very good. Defense, not so much.

Just stick with your original statement, with the exception of Morgan and Rochelle, this defense truly sucks

Reactions: perseverare
True, but when you score 47 points, you should win the game. All summer people on this board have stated that we would have to outscore teams. They were right. We couldn't stop the run and we got burned over and over deep. Remember, one of their receivers dropped the ball on a deep pass that was right in his hands. He beat the DB by 3 or 4 yards. ND's offense is very good. Defense, not so much.

Patrick,
That is my complaint. Kelly knows the defense sucks, so he has to go for the win on that last offensive possession !
Instead, he looked like my old high school coach who had the same 4 plays on every passion. 2 runs in the middle , Pass, punt.

Agreed, the defense sucks big time. The offense looks acceptable (scoring 47), but can't seem to make plays when it really counts.

Don't understand why ND keeps extending Kelly's contract when he has an occasional 10-2 season sandwiched between a couple 8-4 years. I'm afraid this year may be his worst year yet.

Kelly is the best ND can do, given their parameters and what they expect. And are willing to pay. Meyers, Saban, Dantonio etc. would never come to ND. It really isn't Kelly's fault. He seems to be a decent coach but it seems impossible to win big at ND consistently given those factors. The admin. is happy with where they are at so they extended him knowing no one else who is a big time, NC winning coach would ever consider coming to ND. It is what it is.

Agreed, the defense sucks big time. The offense looks acceptable (scoring 47), but can't seem to make plays when it really counts.

Don't understand why ND keeps extending Kelly's contract when he has an occasional 10-2 season sandwiched between a couple 8-4 years. I'm afraid this year may be his worst year yet.

remember this ... the damage control crew will be aboard shortly to tell you your eyes decieved you.

Hoosier Storm, you're kind of tough on the Irish. I don't get it. I love Blowmington.

Kelly is the best ND can do, given their parameters and what they expect. And are willing to pay. Meyers, Saban, Dantonio etc. would never come to ND. It really isn't Kelly's fault. He seems to be a decent coach but it seems impossible to win big at ND consistently given those factors. The admin. is happy with where they are at so they extended him knowing no one else who is a big time, NC winning coach would ever consider coming to ND. It is what it is.

but UT is at this time not a top team; nor even especially goid!

47 points should win you the game many years ago. In today your defense has to come up with key stops here and there and you hope to win 47-42.. or something like that.

47 points should win you the game many years ago. In today your defense has to come up with key stops here and there and you hope to win 47-42.. or something like that.

A good defense doesn't give up 42 (much less 50). Alabama held USC to 6, Mich held Hawai'i to 3, ...

This has been Kelly's chiles heel all the way back. Just look at his undefeated regular season at Cinn ... they were mostly all high scoring games where he won by out scoring his opponents. That is no way to get into the playoffs and win championships.

A good defense doesn't give up 42 (much less 50). Alabama held USC to 6, Mich held Hawai'i to 3, ...

This has been Kelly's chiles heel all the way back. Just look at his undefeated regular season at Cinn ... they were mostly all high scoring games where he won by out scoring his opponents. That is no way to get into the playoffs and win championships.
For **** sake you are going to act like Bama and Michigan never give up more than a touchdown because everything clicked for then in week 1?
How did that Irish D look last year after giving up only 3 to Texas in the opening weekend. Bama and Michigan will have their shootout games this year too. If you think otherwise then you haven't been watching college football for the last decade.

The big difference is those teams believe they will make a play at some point. Our team has no emotion. No positive arrogance.

Bama huh..the team that couldn't stop Clemson until Saban did a surprise onside. That defense?
Our players don't come up with that key play when needed. They get overwhelmed early and often just like their coach.

I know Perse. But what do we expect? Kelly has averaged 4 losses per season at ND. This is the norm now. And he just got an extension. So we can all look foward to many more years of the same. Kelly is the best ND can hope for.

For **** sake you are going to act like Bama and Michigan never give up more than a touchdown because everything clicked for then in week 1?
How did that Irish D look last year after giving up only 3 to Texas in the opening weekend. Bama and Michigan will have their shootout games this year too. If you think otherwise then you haven't been watching college football for the last decade.

The big difference is those teams believe they will make a play at some point. Our team has no emotion. No positive arrogance.

Bama huh..the team that couldn't stop Clemson until Saban did a surprise onside. That defense?
Our players don't come up with that key play when needed. They get overwhelmed early and often just like their coach.

Agree 88....look, its CFB....Tenn should have lost to App St...Its a long season...if we learned anything, every team had one loss last year and the eventual winner was a one loss team. Your going to end up with one SEC and one ACC team and one B10 team.....that means its the pac, nd or B12.....lets see how we develop....there were 5 freshman on defense tonight...not readshirt, true frosh.....its not like the same coaching staff didn't have us 1 play in 2 games from a title shot...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT