ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, what a schedule next season

how quickly you forget the opposition to a 12-0 ND team making the final four.

you were aware of that opposition, weren’t you ?
Nds schedule last year was like Clemson’s this year. No room for a loss since it ended up being weak.

next year we will possibly be facing the number 1 team in the country.

how quickly you forget the opposition to a 12-0 ND team making the final four.

you were aware of that opposition, weren’t you ?

In your mind, no one can have views other than yours without being anti-ND. That's BS.

With 3 out of the 4 playoff teams being undefeated this year, can a one loss ND make the playoffs in 2020.

does ND have to go undefeated to make the playoffs
I would have a hard time seeing an 11-1 (clemson loss) team getting in.

Now say you lose a game early close that you should win, then go to beat Wisky comfortable and somehow beat Clemson, I think 11-1 gets ND in

No chance of beating Clemson next year barring some unforeseen injuries or mass defection. Clemson has elite talent at most positions and better coaches especially on offense. A victory for Kelly boy is to keep the loss at 10 points or less.

No. We were ranked 3rd. Exactly where we should have been.

it doesn’t matter where we were ranked there was considerable opposition to ND being selected, with some citing the 2012 game.

ESPN and Sports Illustrated reporters amongst them

I would have a hard time seeing an 11-1 (clemson loss) team getting in.

Now say you lose a game early close that you should win, then go to beat Wisky comfortable and somehow beat Clemson, I think 11-1 gets ND in

I was referring to a one loss, to Clemson

it doesn’t matter where we were ranked there was considerable opposition to ND being selected, with some citing the 2012 game.

What’s your point? There was opposition to Clemson getting in this year.

In your mind, no one can have views other than yours without being anti-ND. That's BS.

evidently, you don’t have a good memory.

there was considerable opposition to ND being selected to the playoff, with many citing ND’s 2012 team’s bomb against Alabama

What’s your point? There was opposition to Clemson getting in this year.

From whom ? Name them.

Can’t imagine much opposition when Vegas had them favored over Ohio State.

how do you oppose the favorite.

My criticism of Clemson centers on their schedule and their ability to cruise, ergo play 2nd and 3rd team players, avoiding injuries to 1st team players.

difficult schedules take their toll by seasons end.

Reactions: bdur76

Let me know when espn and sports illustrated writers are picking the playoff teams. Until then who cares what they said.

We were ranked 3rd and thats where we should have been. Committee was exactly right

Not true, one of my flaws is that I require supporting facts to substantiate the opinions of others, sorry if that’s contrary to your modus operandi.

evidently, you don’t have a good memory.

there was considerable opposition to ND being selected to the playoff, with many citing ND’s 2012 team’s bomb against Alabama

I have a great memory. I'm just not a fan of manufactured conspiracies.

Let me know when espn and sports illustrated writers are picking the playoff teams. Until then who cares what they said.

We were ranked 3rd and thats where we should have been. Committee was exactly right

Both sources are very influential in the sports world, certainly you have the IQ to understand that.

Both sources can and probably do influence committee members.

Not true, one of my flaws is that I require supporting facts to substantiate the opinions of others, sorry if that’s contrary to your modus operandi.

What a load of crap. No one else can have an opinion which differs from yours unless they have some sort of agenda against ND.

I have a great memory. I'm just not a fan of manufactured conspiracies.

then why didn’t you remember the opposition from those and other sources ?

how about Paul Finebaum saying that ND should NEVER be selected to the playoffs ?

I thought that you said that you had a good memory.

Both sources are very influential in the sports world, certainly you have the IQ to understand that.

Both sources can and probably do influence committee members.
Yep they influenced the committee to the exact position we should have been in. What an influence.

Moron. Another swing and miss

Reactions: NDSMC78
From whom ? Name them.

Can’t imagine much opposition when Vegas had them favored over Ohio State.

how do you oppose the favorite.

My criticism of Clemson centers on their schedule and their ability to cruise, ergo play 2nd and 3rd team players, avoiding injuries to 1st team players.

difficult schedules take their toll by seasons end.
Actually, if you followed the line, Ohio St opened as the favorite. It was betting money that drove the line to what it was.

then why didn’t you remember the opposition from those and other sources ?

how about Paul Finebaum saying that ND should NEVER be selected to the playoffs ?

I thought that you said that you had a good memory.

Paul Finebaum is one individual. You make him out to be far more influential than he is.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Paul Finebaum is one individual. You make him out to be far more influential than he is.

Paul Finebaum was one of a good number of critics and Paul Finebaum gets air time and has influence in the sports world.

add him in with ESPN and Sports Illustrated and only someone who is deaf, dumb and blind wouldn’t perceive the anti-ND sentiment that was being posited in the sports media.

Paul Finebaum was one of a good number of critics and Paul Finebaum gets air time and has influence in the sports world.

add him in with ESPN and Sports Illustrated and only someone who is deaf, dumb and blind wouldn’t perceive the anti-ND sentiment that was being posited in the sports media.

You better watch out. The guys in the black helicopters are out to get you.

The ND/Kelly formula for success has become more evident:

>While the SEC/ACC may get more of the top elite players, who will likely play 3 years and opt for the draft, ND is recruiting just below that level. Good talent that will develop.

> Keep those talents at ND 4-5 years and develop them physically and skill wise
so in year 4-5 they are playing at high or very near NFL draft-able level.

> ND goal: field a deep mature team, young men now 22-23 years old, who have been in it’s system and - in its weight training program 4-5 years.

> overcome any natural physical talent deficit compared to the SEC/ACC teams by fielding older mature experienced teams. Talented 22/23 year old young men vs possibly more naturally talented but less developed or experienced 18-20 year old kids. Any talent deficit is overcome by maturity and experience.

This formula can work.

Reactions: IrishMike409
The ND/Kelly formula for success has become more evident:

>While the SEC/ACC may get more of the top elite players, who will likely play 3 years and opt for the draft, ND is recruiting just below that level. Good talent that will develop.

> Keep those talents at ND 4-5 years and develop them physically and skill wise
so in year 4-5 they are playing at high or very near NFL draft-able level.

> ND goal: field a deep mature team, young men now 22-23 years old, who have been in it’s system and - in its weight training program 4-5 years.

> overcome any natural physical talent deficit compared to the SEC/ACC teams by fielding older mature experienced teams. Talented 22/23 year old young men vs possibly more naturally talented but less developed or experienced 18-20 year old kids. Any talent deficit is overcome by maturity and experience.

This formula can work.
Where has it worked so far? He's going on year 11.

Reactions: amazingreis
I'm seeing 4-5 ranked teams on that schedule. Not too bad. Top 25'ish.

For sure ranked...

Clemson (12-0 in 2019)
Wisconsin (10-3 in 2019)

Possibly ranked...

USC (8-5 in 2019)
Navy (10-2 in 2019)
Louisville (7-5 in 2019)
Wake Forest (8-5 in 2019)

This is only more example of why record is so misleading. Louisville and Wake Forest both played in the worst P5 conference by far and were able to rack up a lot of wins vs bad competition which is why despite having decent records their F/+ ranking is poor.

Next season, the only teams of consequence will be Wisconsin, USC, and Clemson. The rest of the schedule is not just bad, but really bad as in bottom half/bottom 3rd of all teams in college football.

There's so much turnover from year to year that this exercise doesn't really mean much but it's the best data point available right now.

Here is the Notre Dame 2020 schedule with each team's 2019 F/+ ranking through Dec 14th 2019:
When the S&P+ 2020 pre-season projections come out that will be the best data on the quality of NDs competition next year but until then here's the best look.
  • Wisconsin is graduating a ton of veteran upperclassmen starters on the two deep w/o anymore eligibility and losing Jonathan Taylor to the NFL.
  • Military academies are very difficult to rate in these models and their performance varies wildly from year to year so it's hard to project Navy for 2020.
With that being said, ND plays 3-4 teams who finished their 2019 regular season somewhere in the top 30. The other 8 teams on the schedule have an F/+ aggregate ranking of 78th in 2019.

Last edited:
This is only more example of why record is so misleading. Louisville and Wake Forest both played in the worst P5 conference by far and were able to rack up a lot of wins vs bad competition which is why despite having decent records their F/+ ranking is poor.

Next season, the only teams of consequence will be Wisconsin, USC, and Clemson. The rest of the schedule is not just bad, but really bad as in bottom half/bottom 3rd of all teams in college football.

There's so much turnover from year to year that this exercise doesn't really mean much but it's the best data point available right now.

Here is the Notre Dame 2020 schedule with each team's 2019 F/+ ranking through Dec 14th 2019:
When the S&P+ 2020 pre-season projections come out that will be the best data on the quality of NDs competition next year but until then here's the best look.
  • Wisconsin is graduating a ton of veteran upperclassmen starters on the two deep w/o anymore eligibility and losing Jonathan Taylor to the NFL.
  • Academic institutions are very difficult to rate in these models and their performance varies wildly from year to year so it's hard to project Navy for 2020.
With that being said, ND plays 3-4 teams who finished their 2019 regular season somewhere in the top 30. The other 8 teams on the schedule have an F/+ aggregate ranking of 78th in 2019.

So ultimately, what you're saying is that I'm probably right that ND will face 4-5 ranked teams at some point next year, even if S&P+ has a hard time figuring out who they are.

So ultimately, what you're saying is that I'm probably right that ND will face 4-5 ranked teams at some point next year, even if S&P+ has a hard time figuring out who they are.
A schedule should be looked at holistically .. from team 1 through team 12. Despite however many teams on the schedule that end up "ranked" at the very top end (which outside of Clemson could all be borderline top 25 teams) it's the other 8 games that average out to #78 that REALLY bring down the quality of the schedule. Those teams are not just bad but borderline bottom 3rd of all 130 teams in the FBS bad.

My prediction...

Clemson will be top 5
Wisconsin will be top 25
USC will be top 25
Navy will be top 40 (could be top 25)
Lousiville will be top 40 (2nd year of Satterfield)
Wake Forest will be top 50
Pitt will be top 50

The schedule will be fine, as it always is. If any of the teams that mentioned overachieve (at least 1 will) Notre Dame's schedule will be plenty strong enough.

Reactions: Telx1
I'm seeing 4-5 ranked teams on that schedule. Not too bad. Top 25'ish.

For sure ranked...

Clemson (12-0 in 2019)
Wisconsin (10-3 in 2019)

Possibly ranked...

USC (8-5 in 2019)
Navy (10-2 in 2019)
Louisville (7-5 in 2019)
Wake Forest (8-5 in 2019)

Two for sure ranked. And maybe one (Navy is the best bet) or two out of the second group. Top 30-35ish schedule.

If you want to split hairs over 5 spots, I'm fine with that.

I prefer to think we are "refining" opinion.

IMO predicting 4-5 ranked opponents is a tad optimistic. I would say 2-5. Another solid schedule that will not keep ND out of the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT