ADVERTISEMENT

Would guaranteed national schedule be enough

Correct.

As your scheduling options dwindle, so does your LEVERAGE. You lose VISIBILITY and then RELEVANCE.

And the idea that there should continue to exist a playoff system that holds an OPEN-ENTRANT SLOT SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU becomes LUDICROUS.

It would be like holding open an at-large berth in today’s playoffs for one of the ACADEMIES.
I'm hearing that the networks (ESPN/FOX) are behind it. They want 2 super conferences of up to 24 teams each. Then they will hold their own exclusive playoff to determine a champion. Other conferences can develop their own version of a playoff but guess who the media (FOX/ESPN) is going to call the true national champion?

I believe if ND can negotiate keeping their TV right/deal with NBC or another network for home games, BIG 10 assists with the buy out from ACC, and keep annual games with USC and Navy they should make the move. I can't see the BiG 10 saying no to the tv rights, it just gives the conference more exposure since most of those games would be against conference teams.
A good thought except that ND won't be negotiating with the B1G regarding TV rights. FOX executives will call the shots. It might appear to be Tataglia but Barzini is the mastermind.

I have enjoyed the history and tradition of ND's independence as much as anyone, but it is delusional to think that what is happening right now won't force ND's hand to join a conference, and way sooner than later. I hope Swarbrick doesn't overplay his hand.
Totally agree. It's just a matter of time as nothing stays the same forever.

I'm hearing that the networks (ESPN/FOX) are behind it. They want 2 super conferences of up to 24 teams each. Then they will hold their own exclusive playoff to determine a champion. Other conferences can develop their own version of a playoff but guess who the media (FOX/ESPN) is going to call the true national champion?
Sounds like there could be a two tiered NCAA/NIT type alignment.

Independence would most likely land ND in the "NIT" division. But I'm sure it wants a shot at "NCAA" level.

Gut-check time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT