ADVERTISEMENT

Would guaranteed national schedule be enough

11NCs

ND Expert
Mar 4, 2011
to convince ND to join B10? Interesting discussion taking place where ND might agree to join the Big 10 if the Big 10 also admits Stanford and guarantees ND will play Stanford and SC every year. With ND still able to schedule Navy every year, it’s schedule would keep it playing across the nation.

to convince ND to join B10? Interesting discussion taking place where ND might agree to join the Big 10 if the Big 10 also admits Stanford and guarantees ND will play Stanford and SC every year. With ND still able to schedule Navy every year, it’s schedule would keep it playing across the nation.
No.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
I would think ND keeping their TV deal in place for home games would also be a requirement.

I'm hoping they hold off on joining a conference until the time comes where remaining independent prevents access to the playoff system.

I highly doubt Stanford would be added. While arguably the best overall sports program in college, they don't have any fans. More likely Oregon or Washington; possibly even some school like UNC.

There are a dozen New Mexico’s to schedule and thus go undefeated and make the playoffs. Go for it!

I don't mean to stir the pot but the fact seems to be that ND isn't truly "independent" now. Its tied into the ACC for non-revenue sports PLUS has to play at least 5 in-conference football games. The real "independence" is the TV contract which boils down to money. It will be interesting to see if a combination of ACC and NBC money would equal projected revenue from the B1G which some media are suggesting could be as much as $100M/year/team. That ain't chicken feed.

Reactions: 4-4-3
ND is making plenty of money now. That is not a concern.

Even if NIL goes completely nuts we still have the money to compete.

And if it does go nuts either the courts or congress will step in. That is inevitable.

I see no reason we cannot continue to schedule sufficiently so as to continue to contend.

Its like the difference between the fortunes of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. Nothing but a number.

The strange idea that getting $50 million is so incredibly more important than getting $40 million that it requires drastic measures.

IT DOES NOT.

Reactions: tbonesays
I don't mean to stir the pot but the fact seems to be that ND isn't truly "independent" now. Its tied into the ACC for non-revenue sports PLUS has to play at least 5 in-conference football games. The real "independence" is the TV contract which boils down to money. It will be interesting to see if a combination of ACC and NBC money would equal projected revenue from the B1G which some media are suggesting could be as much as $100M/year/team. That ain't chicken feed.
Only 4 this year.

When your already making 1B a year, making 1B + 30m after you net out NBC and independence doesn’t seem like a big driver to sell your soul to the B16.

Id rather see the ACC add Oregon, ND, BYU and Wash.

When your already making 1B a year, making 1B + 30m after you net out NBC and independence doesn’t seem like a big driver to sell your soul to the B16.

Id rather see the ACC add Oregon, ND, BYU and Wash.
Thankfully, that won't happen either.

If a small number of super conferences form with national reach, and they refuse to schedule you, you are no onger independent and by default a member of the “everybody else” conference … ND will no doubt navigate its way to the new reality … clinging to a world that no longer exists would be stupid. What makes Notre Dame special is not it’s “independent” status, it’s far greater than that.

If I'm the Big 10 I'd look to drop Northwestern and Rutgers and bring in teams from Texas and Florida.

I'd go Baylor and Florida St. or Miami. Baylor is right in the middle of Austin and Dallas - recruiting hotbed and centrally located between the biggest markets in state. Florida St/Miami speaks for itself.

Next on the chopping block would be Maryland and Purdue. For who? Notre Dame and Stanford? Maybe Oregon and Washington, or Clemson and North Carolina.

They could also rebrand to the Big20. Oregon, Washington, Baylor, Florida St and keep all the current. Or do the aforementioned and drop Northwestern / Rutgers and bring in Clemson / North Carolina. That would truly be a super conference from coast to coast with the branding, tv markets and recruiting hotbeds included.

If I'm the Big 10 I'd look to drop Northwestern and Rutgers and bring in teams from Texas and Florida.

I'd go Baylor and Florida St. or Miami. Baylor is right in the middle of Austin and Dallas - recruiting hotbed and centrally located between the biggest markets in state. Florida St/Miami speaks for itself.

Next on the chopping block would be Maryland and Purdue. For who? Notre Dame and Stanford? Maybe Oregon and Washington, or Clemson and North Carolina.

They could also rebrand to the Big20. Oregon, Washington, Baylor, Florida St and keep all the current. Or do the aforementioned and drop Northwestern / Rutgers and bring in Clemson / North Carolina. That would truly be a super conference from coast to coast with the branding, tv markets and recruiting hotbeds included.
Good proposal … and … it’s starting to shift from multiple conferences to a splitting of Division 1 football into two tiers … the 50+ “haves” plus a few legacy hangers on like the Vanderbilts, Indianas etc and all the “have nots” and “too late to the party”

Good to have some sister Mary’s. You can’t have your starters on the field 4 quarters all year long.

Your would want 2 teams in the top 10, 4 in the top 25 and some to pad the stats.

I don’t see ANYONE not schedule ND if we ask. I do see the schedule being tough if the conferences add 20 teams and you have to play you division. While still 2 games each, might be a date nightmare.

Good to have some sister Mary’s. You can’t have your starters on the field 4 quarters all year long.

Your would want 2 teams in the top 10, 4 in the top 25 and some to pad the stats.

I don’t see ANYONE not schedule ND if we ask. I do see the schedule being tough if the conferences add 20 teams and you have to play you division. While still 2 games each, might be a date nightmare.
If there are 50-60 teams in 2 or 3 super conferences and you ain’t one of them, then you are finished. You are swimming in a different pool even if you get maybe one or two games vs traditional rivals … and within a few years recruits stop coming and you are Army or Yale.

Scheduling for football won't be a problem. Its the scheduling for non-revenue sports that drove ND to join the ACC in the first place. At some point that might force ND to fully commit to a conference.

They'll never drop the New York market. It's the only reason Rutgers is there.

Reactions: Hugh Laurie
With USC in, I think that's a game changer. It solves part of our previous scheduling issue with joining a conference. And the Big Ten's becoming a national conference now. So I think we might accept the Big Ten's invitation now. I don't know, though. It's hard to guess what the powers-that-be at ND are thinking.

I don’t think Stanford is a must. Navy and SC are. Both possible in joining Big 10 !

Problem is its just a matter of time so i feel that we need to get ahead of this before we lose all leverage.

Agree they have all the power in determining where they land. The power in remaining an independent is decreasing by the minute.
I believe if ND can negotiate keeping their TV right/deal with NBC or another network for home games, BIG 10 assists with the buy out from ACC, and keep annual games with USC and Navy they should make the move. I can't see the BiG 10 saying no to the tv rights, it just gives the conference more exposure since most of those games would be against conference teams.

I believe if ND can negotiate keeping their TV right/deal with NBC or another network for home games, BIG 10 assists with the buy out from ACC, and keep annual games with USC and Navy they should make the move. I can't see the BiG 10 saying no to the tv rights, it just gives the conference more exposure since most of those games would be against conference teams.

One of the main reasons ND would join a conference is for the media rights. You don't pass up over $100 million per year to renegotiate an $18 million per year NBC deal.

Reactions: BM16 and 4-4-3
And VTech would make it an even 20. Two divisions of ten teams.
4 divisions of 5 teams. play 4 games within divisions, rotate 5 games between the other 3 divisions, with 3 non conference games. This way each team will play every other conference team every 3 years.

One of the main reasons ND would join a conference is for the media rights. You don't pass up over $100 million per year to renegotiate an $18 million per year NBC deal.
ND doesn't need the money. The media exposure of being on a major network for all home games is worth much more vs the $100 million and only being on TV when the conference allows it.

Last edited:
ND doesn't need the money. The media exposure of being on a major network for all home games is worth much more vs the $100 million and only being on TV when the conference allows it.
ND is not even selling out it’s home games anymore and some of the games are being kicked over to cable or streaming service … and that is because our scheduling is getting more difficult to manage. Compare current schedules to when the NBC deal was signed … the ND fanbase is becoming a little delusional based on a few playoff appearances (that ended badly). We better read the tea leaves on this one or we will suddenly be in a room with a bunch of MAC teams and lower tier former P5 programs.

ND is not even selling out it’s home games anymore and some of the games are being kicked over to cable or streaming service … and that is because our scheduling is getting more difficult to manage. Compare current schedules to when the NBC deal was signed … the ND fanbase is becoming a little delusional based on a few playoff appearances (that ended badly). We better read the tea leaves on this one or we will suddenly be in a room with a bunch of MAC teams and lower tier former P5 programs.
wrong! Fans were tired of Kelly. They realized he wasn't going to win anything. Freeman has brought new energy to the program we haven't seen since the Holtz era.

wrong! Fans were tired of Kelly. They realized he wasn't going to win anything. Freeman has brought new energy to the program we haven't seen since the Holtz era.
Look at our home schedule man, Marshall, cal, UNLV … even BC and Stanford are unlikely to sell out and won’t be big matchups.

I don't see the difference in "media exposure" between a game on NBC that draws 2 million viewers and a game on ESPN that draws 2 million. It certainly isn't worth $80 million per year.

If ND doesn't need the money, it would be nice if they would make tuition and tickets free...

If there are 50-60 teams in 2 or 3 super conferences and you ain’t one of them, then you are finished. You are swimming in a different pool even if you get maybe one or two games vs traditional rivals … and within a few years recruits stop coming and you are Army or Yale.

I dont really see the ACC all of the sudden saying hey, you can no longer play your 6 teams a year.

The formula stays the same, play 1 top 10 team and 1 top 25 team, go undefeated and your in.

Just like Cinci. Just like Clemson. Just like OK.

At some point in time, yea, we might be forced in but that is some time down the road when ND will have a better look at what Conference makes sense. IMHO, the ACC is still the best conf for them. You have academics, recruiting and a network. They could also go grab Vandy, Northwester and Stanford and actually have a conference that has standards. Maybe Rutgers is a better fit as well.

But they want the money. No way will NBC come close to the money an expanded Big 10 will garner with ND in it.

ND might not be hurting for the money now, but as B1G/SEC schools start raking in $100M/year and spending it to develop first-class facilities, new stadia, hire the very best coaches, expand recruiting, etc. the schools with lesser contracts will begin falling behind. Not to mention the path to the playoffs promises to get tougher for an independent (guaranteed the B1G/SEC will make that happen). Administration needs to be visionary. What will it look like in 15 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT