ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Offensive Performance in Freeman era

That’s one where I don’t have a problem. He just escaped when usually the QB would be down. He saved 7 yards by not being sacked and gave himself and his team a chance for a big play. Leonard also had a defender coming right at him and had to throw around him.
Agree with all of that, just wish he might have been able to complete the pass, because it would have gone a long way. But no question he was under pressure and did well to avoid a TFL.

Reactions: echowaker
Agree with all of that, just wish he might have been able to complete the pass, because it would have gone a long way. But no question he was under pressure and did well to avoid a TFL.
Oh yeah, it was there. Unfortunate but he avoided a negative play which is huge. I loved how he managed the game. Smart, took care of the football. I love how he plays with patience. Other than the one errant throw that could have resulted in a pick six he was outstanding in my opinion.

My biggest frustration with the offense was second quarter after the Shuler pick. Then we got the PI at the 6 yard line

Love gets stopped after a yard gain, and the next 2 passes were not executed well. Leonard didn’t hit Love on the corner route (and missed Evans wide open over middle in end zone); next play Ford watched the ball go by him as he was dragging across in the end zone, like he thought the pass was intended for someone else

Wanted 7 there

Reactions: HRC08
Saw some good things and bad things
more good than bad obviously as we won

fair amount to work on offensively
D was very solid; but at the same time we did not play a top QB

Watching Our QB he was playing conservatively but that was the right thing to do in a first game with so many new players and in such a hostile atmosphere

Reactions: BGI User 756
Oh yeah, it was there. Unfortunate but he avoided a negative play which is huge. I loved how he managed the game. Smart, took care of the football. I love how he plays with patience. Other than the one errant throw that could have resulted in a pick six he was outstanding in my opinion.
Thomas didn't come back to the ball. That was definitely on Thomas. He stopped

But flip side, loved after the 37 yard run by Price was called back, that Love gained 20 on next play

My biggest frustration with the offense was second quarter after the Shuler pick. Then we got the PI at the 6 yard line

Love gets stopped after a yard gain, and the next 2 passes were not executed well. Leonard didn’t hit Love on the corner route (and missed Evans wide open over middle in end zone); next play Ford watched the ball go by him as he was dragging across in the end zone, like he thought the pass was intended for someone else

Wanted 7 there
Are you sure those two plays followed each other? The first was the corner and the second was Leonard scrambling with Ford and Evans close to each other and the ball hitting the ground.

I think Love was incorrect on his route (not sure) and that Leonard was always going to Love based on the defensive alignment.

This is pee wee stuff
You don't think 107K fans had anything to do with that ? You don't think A&M's defense had anything to do with that?

You are an idiot -- if anyone thought ND's OL was going to come out and dominate in Game 1, on the road in a very hostile atmosphere, in any way, shape or form -- you are really know nothing . ND had a lot of inexperience starting -- you judge a book after you are done - judge this OL after 12 games.

Are you sure those two plays followed each other? The first was the corner and the second was Leonard scrambling with Ford and Evans close to each other and the ball hitting the ground.

I think Love was incorrect on his route (not sure) and that Leonard was always going to Love based on the defensive alignment.
Yes. (If I’m following your question ). We got the pick and couple plays later got the PI call. Then Love over guard, then Love to left corner, then rolling right and throwing between Ford and Evans..

You don't think 107K fans had anything to do with that ? You don't think A&M's defense had anything to do with that?

You are an idiot -- if anyone thought ND's OL was going to come out and dominate in Game 1, on the road in a very hostile atmosphere, in any way, shape or form -- you are really know nothing . ND had a lot of inexperience starting -- you judge a book after you are done - judge this OL after 12 games.
The entire line has 4 years of eligibility left. As they mentioned, 6 starts total amongst the starting 5

Riley Leonard looks like a gamer to me. There were a couple of missed passes I wished he had made--the one he underthrew to a wide open Devyn Ford on the sideline that probably would have gone for 40 yards sticks out--but hard to tell on some of them if the miss was on Riley or the WR going where Riley didn't expect him to go. All in all I was really pleased with how Riley played. He's very athletic and tough. To play like he did in his first game for ND was really impressive. Looking forward to big things from him this season.

Like what he said in the post game pressur.....just basically there was no need to press, the defense was controlling A&M....no need to do something stupid, turn over, just take what they give you. Thats a mature QB......if it were a race to 50, different game. No TO's is always the start to a good finish.

And we got totally hosed on the second 4th down call on our opening drive in 3Q. Leonard was a half yard beyond first down. The side judge on Irish side sets his foot correctly, then shuffles a little backwards, then sets the ball a clear 18 ins back. Even then the nose of the ball was over the black…just a horrible spot.

But then that Swiss Cheese defense stopped them !

The 85 yard drive to win the game was damn near perfect execution by the offense. The first down pass to Greathouse on third and five from our twenty was perfectly executed. The back shoulder pass to Collins down the sidelines was as well. Leonard’s runs for 11 and 9 showed aggressive blocking by our young studs up front on the left side. Love’s TD run was well blocked, but his reads and acceleration through a narrow opening were elite. IMO, That was one of the best winning drives by ND in recent memory.

The first half was not good. I’ll eat some crow. 2nd half they were pretty tough and didn’t flinch.
One half does not an entire game make.
Good for you to man-up. We all overreact at some point.

Football is a game of halftime adjustments. MF seems to be proficient at the art. BK not always so.

Yes. (If I’m following your question ). We got the pick and couple plays later got the PI call. Then Love over guard, then Love to left corner, then rolling right and throwing between Ford and Evans..
I thought there was a different play where the ball went through the back of the endzone but that was by the goalposts. Perhaps a different game.

On the second play, there’s a defender to the front right of Ford and a defender to the front right of Evans. I don’t think they were really open. Would have taken a really good throw IMO and he was on the move.

Good play actually from Leonard IMO.

And we got totally hosed on the second 4th down call on our opening drive in 3Q. Leonard was a half yard beyond first down. The side judge on Irish side sets his foot correctly, then shuffles a little backwards, then sets the ball a clear 18 ins back. Even then the nose of the ball was over the black…just a horrible spot.

But then that Swiss Cheese defense stopped them !
Yea he got that clear as day we got screwed

Like what he said in the post game pressur.....just basically there was no need to press, the defense was controlling A&M....no need to do something stupid, turn over, just take what they give you. Thats a mature QB......if it were a race to 50, different game. No TO's is always the start to a good finish.
I guess so. But it's not as if ND was calmly thinking to themselves, you know what, I don't mind this low scoring game but I think it's time we got another TD so we can win, so let's start making 1st downs.... They were struggling to move the ball, and when it was tied in the 4th quarter with 6 minutes to go, the game was definitely in doubt. We didn't turn some switch on and march down the field as if we could have done so anytime we wanted, we simply came through with a clutch drive when we had to have it. I'm quite sure we would have happily taken 50 points if our offense had been able to deliver that on demand.

So my take would be that the offense, and especially the OL and QB, is a work in progress, Love can be pretty special at RB and Price is good too, and our defense rocks. And we can definitely aspire to making the playoff and maybe even going undefeated, sort of following that formula, and we might have to.

Oh and the receiver from Clemson is exactly what the doctor ordered. You can see he is a play maker. He plays with a swagger and confidence. He should be the “ go to” guy. How many times over the last decade or so has ND lost that type of game? Maybe just maybe that win will be the catalyst to get the program into the next level. I sure hope so

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Oh and the receiver from Clemson is exactly what the doctor ordered. You can see he is a play maker. He plays with a swagger and confidence. He should be the “ go to” guy. How many times over the last decade or so has ND lost that type of game? Maybe just maybe that win will be the catalyst to get the program into the next level. I sure hope so
You could definitely see his five-star talent on that one catch. It was a big one, and we had to have it, even though he came this close to blowing it when he pushed the dude in the back. My goodness did he get away with one. I would imagine A&M players talk trash pretty mercilessly, especially when they're playing ND. Must have said something about his sister....

This point can't be understated. BK typically lost these games. Setting the tone for the program...blowing it in key games before a national audience.

The Irish showed a grit and willpower to force a win last night. It made an impression on me. Especially MF, whom I began to doubt.

Yes, it's but 1 game, but an important one. We will see over the course of a season. But right not, I think ND can win every remaining game.

Really good D. Talented but inexperienced OL will only get better. As they do, so should Riley.

1 thing I am starting to believe: ND has pretty good coaches. Al Golden for sure. But Denbrock seemed to have the right Xs and Os given the situation with a new QB and OL...and seemed to make the right adjustments just in time. I also learned ND has 2 pretty good backs!

Looking good. Fingers crossed.

This point can't be understated. BK typically lost these games. Setting the tone for the program...blowing it in key games before a national audience.

The Irish showed a grit and willpower to force a win last night. It made an impression on me. Especially MF, whom I began to doubt.

Yes, it's but 1 game, but an important one. We will see over the course of a season. But right not, I think ND can win every remaining game.

Really good D. Talented but inexperienced OL will only get better. As they do, so should Riley.

1 thing I am starting to believe: ND has pretty good coaches. Al Golden for sure. But Denbrock seemed to have the right Xs and Os given the situation with a new QB and OL...and seemed to make the right adjustments just in time. I also learned ND has 2 pretty good backs!

Looking good. Fingers crossed.
You don't need to bring BK up because it's not true. It's just yet another potshot. However, the team's fight, and toughness and indefatigability and mettle was very evident. I almost feel like saying that's what won us the game. Our defense rocks, Al Golden is the man, and our offense at least keeps trying, even though they definitely are not some high precision unit. But mainly the team as a whole is just rock solid in some sort of holistic, comprehensive way that is very palpable IMO. That's what sticks out to me the most. I don't know if that quality always translates into wins, but it just seems very evident. And it's a good thing, a very good thing....

I thought there was a different play where the ball went through the back of the endzone but that was by the goalposts. Perhaps a different game.

On the second play, there’s a defender to the front right of Ford and a defender to the front right of Evans. I don’t think they were really open. Would have taken a really good throw IMO and he was on the move.

Good play actually from Leonard IMO.
Agree it was a very tight window. But we had position inside the goal line…tuck it in there

That was a really good defense we faced, and we ended up rushing for 198 yds and doing enough to win. So I'd give the offense a B+ for that performance, which isn't bad for a first game.

You don't need to bring BK up because it's not true. It's just yet another potshot. However, the team's fight, and toughness and indefatigability and mettle was very evident. I almost feel like saying that's what won us the game. Our defense rocks, Al Golden is the man, and our offense at least keeps trying, even though they definitely are not some high precision unit. But mainly the team as a whole is just rock solid in some sort of holistic, comprehensive way that is very palpable IMO. That's what sticks out to me the most. I don't know if that quality always translates into wins, but it just seems very evident. And it's a good thing, a very good thing....

I only post during the season, so you might not remember me.

😉

I’ve been consistent in defending BK for bringing BD back to consistent competitiveness. But it’s not a cheap shot to point out he couldn’t make ND consistently elite. He had trouble when it counted making the Irish whole > sum of the parts.

I appreciate BK. He did reasonably well under the self imposed restrictions of BD. A big part of leaving MF with great foundation…just when new winds of change seem to be working in ND’s favor.

More on that later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT