ADVERTISEMENT

Will Black - 5 star per On3

A lot of guys were recruiting got bumped up too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a discrepancy as big as Blacks. Number 6 on on3 but like 180 in the consensus. It does seem like often times on3 is ahead of the curve on ratings.
Like with Carr?

Use all the sites, use the offer lists, and use your own eyes. There is no one right way to evaluate a player.

I am not a "professional" but when I saw Kyle Hamiltons film I thought he was a stud. They had him ranked as a 3 star at the time. I laughed at that

Just because they are "professionals" you don't have to believe everything they say

I'm not qualified to be the President of the US but when I see this dope do moronic things I don't say, he's a professional and knows more than me so I'm going to blindly follow him.

That thinking is idiotic. Use multiple tools and your own eyes
The staffs behind these major recruiting websites watch the film on top of all the other ways they are able to scout the prospects. The composite rankings are a consolidation of the industry-wide opinion of a prospect.

what are you seeing sitting in your underwear at home watching YouTube highlight videos that the industry of scouting professionals is missing in their evals?

Also offer lists are practically useless information these days because everybody offers everybody. And prospects embellish their offer lists like they do their height. The real question is whether that offer is actionable or not and the industry has no way of knowing for sure because that information is very tightly concealed.

The rating that a major brand like 247 gives a recruit is the best most objective information we have on a prospect (especially the composite rankings which take into account the entire industry's opinion of a prospect) and you got to be a complete moron to think that your amateur YouTube scouting or whatever holds any value in relation to it.

And I'm not just speaking about you specifically but about any blow hard out there that thinks that their individual film evaluations of a prospect carry any weight whatsoever

I literally start laughing out loud anytime I see a Bryan Driskell video as an example where he starts dismissing the professional opinions of the industry and talking about his own top 100 that of course has way more Notre Dame players in it than any other top 100 in existence 😂

Last edited:
The staffs behind these major recruiting websites watch the film on top of all the other ways they are able to scout the prospects. The composite rankings are a consolidation of the industry-wide opinion of a prospect.

what are you seeing sitting in your underwear at home watching YouTube highlight videos that the industry of scouting professionals is missing in their evals?

Also offer lists are practically useless information these days because everybody offers everybody. And prospects embellish their offer lists like they do their height. The real question is whether that offer is actionable or not and the industry has no way of knowing for sure because that information is very tightly concealed.

The rating that a major brand like 247 gives a recruit is the best most objective information we have on a prospect (especially the composite rankings which take into account the entire industry's opinion of a prospect) and you got to be a complete moron to think that your amateur YouTube scouting or whatever holds any value in relation to it.

And I'm not just speaking about you specifically but about any blow hard out there that thinks that their individual film evaluations of a prospect carry any weight whatsoever

I literally start laughing out loud anytime I see a Bryan Driskell video as an example where he starts dismissing the professional opinions of the industry and talking about his own top 100 that of course has way more Notre Dame players in it than any other top 100 in existence 😂
He said from the first time he watched Ben Morrisons film he was a top 100 player no doubt. Most services had him as a three star at the time and only became a low 4 star. He said he was a top 50 player at the end. Guess he was right about him and I was right about Hamilton

If you think these people are experts and can't make mistakes and you can't form your own opinion on your player, you either have zero ability to watch film and see talent or you are a sheep and believe everything you are told

Either is fine but don't expect everyone to be a loser like yourself

He said from the first time he watched Ben Morrisons film he was a top 100 player no doubt. Most services had him as a three star at the time and only became a low 4 star. He said he was a top 50 player at the end. Guess he was right about him and I was right about Hamilton

If you think these people are experts and can't make mistakes and you can't form your own opinion on your player, you either have zero ability to watch film and see talent or you are a sheep and believe everything you are told

Either is fine but don't expect everyone to be a loser like yourself

Not to be an ass, but Hamilton was evident to EVERYONE except the recruiting services early on. It definitely didn’t take a rocket scientist to see he was much much better than where the services had him at. Honestly, I don’t believe the services had completed a hard evaluation on him until his senior year. Without knowing when exactly they decided to pay more attention to him, it’s hard to fault them for their initial 5.7 3* ranking. His offer list alone was that of a 4/5* player. He’s not necessarily the guy that I would beat my chest about considering 95% of this board agreed he was way underrated. Now if you told me Cam Hart would be an NFL prospect out of HS and could back it up with actual evidence, I’d be more impressed.

Reactions: sjb75
Not to be an ass, but Hamilton was evident to EVERYONE except the recruiting services early on. It definitely didn’t take a rocket scientist to see he was much much better than where the services had him at. Honestly, I don’t believe the services had completed a hard evaluation on him until his senior year. Without knowing when exactly they decided to pay more attention to him, it’s hard to fault them for their initial 5.7 3* ranking. His offer list alone was that of a 4/5* player. He’s not necessarily the guy that I would beat my chest about considering 95% of this board agreed he was way underrated. Now if you told me Cam Hart would be an NFL prospect out of HS and could back it up with actual evidence, I’d be more impressed.
It had nothing to do about me. And more about how they can miss something so obvious and someone like me or anyone else can be right

You missed the main point and I didn't beat my chest at all. Just gave 1 easy example of how bad they can be at evaluating players

It had nothing to do about me. And more about how they can miss something so obvious and someone like me or anyone else can be right

You missed the main point and I didn't beat my chest at all. Just gave 1 easy example of how bad they can be at evaluating players

I didn’t miss any point. You apparently missed my point though that they might not have missed, but simply hadn’t gotten to fully evaluate him at the time of his 3* ranking. I mean they eventually elevated him quite a bit from there. Do you think that was from fans or other sites pressuring them to do so? I don’t believe so.

I tell you what, evaluate every HS JR this year, post your top100 for next years class and then in 3-4 years, we’ll take a look at what you came up with. My guess is your list would be pretty bad. You can even post updated rankings as their senior year progresses if you want to.

I didn’t miss any point. You apparently missed my point though that they might not have missed, but simply hadn’t gotten to fully evaluate him at the time of his 3* ranking. I mean they eventually elevated him quite a bit from there. Do you think that was from fans or other sites pressuring them to do so? I don’t believe so.

I tell you what, evaluate every HS JR this year, post your top100 for next years class and then in 3-4 years, we’ll take a look at what you came up with. My guess is your list would be pretty bad. You can even post updated rankings as their senior year progresses if you want to.
You continue to miss the point. It doesn't matter if they changed it. It should have never been that bad. They do a poor job on many evaluations of players. His was one of them

I only watch film of ND commits and prospects so no I won't do that. Takes up too much time. I will do one of ND commits if that makes you feel better

Mel is a legend in his own mind. He called it on Hamilton (WOW, this clown is a genius). What insight he shows us everyday

Reactions: NotreDomer1
You continue to miss the point. It doesn't matter if they changed it. It should have never been that bad. They do a poor job on many evaluations of players. His was one of them

I only watch film of ND commits and prospects so no I won't do that. Takes up too much time. I will do one of ND commits if that makes you feel better

Then you’re just another jackass. If every evaluation was perfect from the start, despite kids growing and getting better at different paces, there would be no need to update rankings.

How exactly do you, previous to an ND offer, evaluate ND prospects and assign them star rankings exactly? I mean how can YOU come up with a Top25(5*) when only evaluating ND Prospects? That seems like a very dumb/naive way to assign rankings for prospects. I know you pride yourself on being right all the time, but your just being stupid here with this nonsense.

Reactions: Chitown11
Then you’re just another jackass. If every evaluation was perfect from the start, despite kids growing and getting better at different paces, there would be no need to update rankings.

How exactly do you, previous to an ND offer, evaluate ND prospects and assign them star rankings exactly? I mean how can YOU come up with a Top25(5*) when only evaluating ND Prospects? That seems like a very dumb/naive way to assign rankings for prospects. I know you pride yourself on being right all the time, but your just being stupid here with this nonsense.
It was an easy evaluation right from the start. That is the part you are missing and are being ignorant about trying to make it about me. It's not. It was an easy evaluation that everyone saw except the sites. Which was my point from the beginning. They finally got it right at the end but that was just 1 of many many examples

I don't assign them star rankings. That is a money making thing that sites do to make it easy for people to look at. Oh he's really good he's a 5 star, he's not that good he's a 2 star. Etc etc. The reality is the difference between player 32 (5 star) and player 75 (4star) is usually very very minute.

I've been following recruiting for over 25 years. You use every data point available to you. Offer lists, the recruiting sites and your own evaluation. And I'll make my opinion on a player based off of that. I don't just blindly believe the ranking sites like I guess you do. If you don't like my opinion, who gives a shit, kick rocks

This is a very stupid argument by you and one you didn't even understand from the beginning and just really bad job by you

It was an easy evaluation right from the start. That is the part you are missing and are being ignorant about trying to make it about me. It's not. It was an easy evaluation that everyone saw except the sites. Which was my point from the beginning. They finally got it right at the end but that was just 1 of many many examples

I don't assign them star rankings. That is a money making thing that sites do to make it easy for people to look at. Oh he's really good he's a 5 star, he's not that good he's a 2 star. Etc etc. The reality is the difference between player 32 (5 star) and player 75 (4star) is usually very very minute.

I've been following recruiting for over 25 years. You use every data point available to you. Offer lists, the recruiting sites and your own evaluation. And I'll make my opinion on a player based off of that. I don't just blindly believe the ranking sites like I guess you do. If you don't like my opinion, who gives a shit, kick rocks

This is a very stupid argument by you and one you didn't even understand from the beginning and just really bad job by you

Apparently, you can’t read very well and like to cherry pick your talking points. I’ve merely stated that:

1) Kyle Hamilton was an easy evaluation so you shouldn’t beat your chest so hard
2) the sites may not have been able to fully evaluate him early on, hence his low early ranking. They did however adjust him as his senior year progressed

You’re just too egotistical to have a logical conversation with. You’re the “one up” and “I’m always right” guy. You’re nothing more than a fool in reality.

Last edited:
Apparently, you can’t read very well and like to cherry pick your talking points. I’ve merely stated that:

1) Kyle Hamilton was an easy evaluation so you shouldn’t beat your chest so hard
2) the sites may not have been able to fully evaluate him early on, hence his low early ranking. They did however adjust him as his senior year progressed

You’re just too egotistical to have a logical conversation with. You’re the “one up” and “I’m always right” guy. You’re nothing more than a fool in reality.
If it was an easy evaluation, how did they miss a Top 10 prospect, slam dunk? Chase said something along the lines of recruiting services are ahead of coaches evaluations. I completely disagree, I think they put a lot of time in the obvious Top 100 but after that are very vulnerable. We’ve seen countless ND guys get bumped up after an offer and then blow up with nation wide offers. ND seems to have a knack for spotting those hard hitting 3 stars.

And for #2, that’s BS.. how many kids “may they have not been able to evaluate early on? “

1. I didn't beat my chest at all. You can't get that through your head.

2. That's a site problem. Which is my point. I saw it, everyone else saw it. That's the point. BINGO. They missed an easy one

Reactions: IrishMike409
If it was an easy evaluation, how did they miss a Top 10 prospect, slam dunk? Chase said something along the lines of recruiting services are ahead of coaches evaluations. I completely disagree, I think they put a lot of time in the obvious Top 100 but after that are very vulnerable. We’ve seen countless ND guys get bumped up after an offer and then blow up with nation wide offers. ND seems to have a knack for spotting those hard hitting 3 stars.

And for #2, that’s BS.. how many kids “may they have not been able to evaluate early on? “
Speaking of bump ups, Will Black has been moved to the Rivals top 100, he was previously outside the top 250.

I never said this, and this has never been my opinion.

I've said that we don't have any clue as to how programs/coaches are evaluating players or what their internal big boards look like and that the best objective info we have on the prospect pool is what is published from the recruiting sites.

Speaking of bump ups, Will Black has been moved to the Rivals top 100, he was previously outside the top 250.
Now the number 62 player according to Rivals. I told you what was going to happen. I told you he was way better than his ranking. It was a bad one.

Now do you believe he's really good since Rivals said so ?

Now the number 62 player according to Rivals. I told you what was going to happen. I told you he was way better than his ranking. It was a bad one.

Yes

Rivals > your opinion

100% of the time

Which one of our former OL would you compare him to?

Is he a guy who can start by year 2?

I never said this, and this has never been my opinion.

I've said that we don't have any clue as to how programs/coaches are evaluating players or what their internal big boards look like and that the best objective info we have on the prospect pool is what is published from the recruiting sites.
With that statement, aren’t you essentially stating the best objective info is stars over offers? Aka recruiting sites over coaching evaluations?

🤣🤣 that's funny
Comical indeed, according to Chase he was garbage and not worth an offer 3 months ago. Now he’s legit, thank the lord the ND coaches were in early. Coaches evaluation over recruiting sites all day.. these scenarios are all too common.

Reactions: Golson5
Comical indeed, according to Chase he was garbage and not worth an offer 3 months ago. Now he’s legit, thank the lord the ND coaches were in early. Coaches evaluation over recruiting sites all day.. these scenarios are all too common.
I prefer to wait until they actually play on Saturdays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT