ADVERTISEMENT

Wide Recievers

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
Driskell posted a nice article, detailing the day that each WR had. It's worth reading.

Some thoughts:

-Collins impressed today. He should be dependable and a guy who's gonna produce. I wouldn't be shocked if he led us in catches.

-Thomas if healthy, is a proven weapon. If he stays healthy and is able to connect w Leonard, then he's gonna catch balls and make plays.

-Greathouse and Faison have both advanced from a physicality standpoint. Both will be in the mix to earn snaps and have the opportunity to make plays.

-Jayden Harrison is big time explosive. It sounds like he's going to earn time and will be in the mix to make big plays. Denbrock has to find ways to get him the ball.

This group has athletes and proven dependable pass catchers. It's gonna be interesting to see who earns the snaps. I'm hopeful that the group gets aligned and synced up with Leonard quickly.

Read one word.

Done.

I’ll stick with Eric Hansen. A good dude.

Adding something else, it seems that Gilbert is higher on the depth chart than Cam Williams right now. Heard he was making plays.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Adding something else, it seems that Gilbert is higher on the depth chart than Cam Williams right now. Heard he was making plays.
I sensed that too. Gilbert is making plays. I'm excited to see where Gilbert is next year at this time. He's been impressing since he got on campus. He could really be in the mix as we're getting ready to open up the 25 season.

Driskell posted a nice article, detailing the day that each WR had. It's worth reading.

Some thoughts:

-Collins impressed today. He should be dependable and a guy who's gonna produce. I wouldn't be shocked if he led us in catches.

-Thomas if healthy, is a proven weapon. If he stays healthy and is able to connect w Leonard, then he's gonna catch balls and make plays.

-Greathouse and Faison have both advanced from a physicality standpoint. Both will be in the mix to earn snaps and have the opportunity to make plays.

-Jayden Harrison is big time explosive. It sounds like he's going to earn time and will be in the mix to make big plays. Denbrock has to find ways to get him the ball.

This group has athletes and proven dependable pass catchers. It's gonna be interesting to see who earns the snaps. I'm hopeful that the group gets aligned and synced up with Leonard quickly.
I don’t know how Faison doesn’t start/get the bulk of snaps. It was clear he was far and away our best weapon last year but wasn’t utilized until late. Greathouse/Faison have to see the bulk of snaps. The third up for grabs between Mitchell/Thomas and rotate in Collins, Harrison (Swiss army knife).

I don’t know how Faison doesn’t start/get the bulk of snaps. It was clear he was far and away our best weapon last year but wasn’t utilized until late. Greathouse/Faison have to see the bulk of snaps. The third up for grabs between Mitchell/Thomas and rotate in Collins, Harrison (Swiss army knife).
If our best wide receiver from last year is 'in play to earn snaps' then we must have really improved the position!

Some thoughts:

These 5 plus Mitchell will be your 6 wrs that get bulk of snaps if all 6 are healthy.

Gilbert colzie Williams saldate kk will fight to see who is next man up when someone gets dinged up.

These 5 plus Mitchell will be your 6 wrs that get bulk of snaps if all 6 are healthy.

Gilbert colzie Williams saldate kk will fight to see who is next man up when someone gets dinged up.
Agreed, but I think Gilbert is going to make this a seven man rotation.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think KK Smith is going to make it a 7 man rotation personally
Wow. If Gilbert and KK are in the mix, then this is a deep group. We're not even accounting for Cam Williams yet. He may be the most talented receiver on the roster.

Agreed, but I think Gilbert is going to make this a seven man rotation.
I don't think you'll see a true 7 man rotation vs say A&M. Maybe against Northern Il or Miami OH.

Also, it's likely someone is occasionally banged up for another WR or two to get PT.

Wow. If Gilbert and KK are in the mix, then this is a deep group. We're not even accounting for Cam Williams yet. He may be the most talented receiver on the roster.
I don’t think Cam will be in the mix at all, unless garbage time. Gilbert looked the part of a skilled college receiver during Spring practices, and Cam seemed overwhelmed. Not suggesting that Cam is a bust, just not ready yet to perform at this level. The challenge will be keeping him positive about a slower than expected development freshman year.

I don’t think Cam will be in the mix at all, unless garbage time. Gilbert looked the part of a skilled college receiver during Spring practices, and Cam seemed overwhelmed. Not suggesting that Cam is a bust, just not ready yet to perform at this level. The challenge will be keeping him positive about a slower than expected development freshman year.
Totally agree with all of that.

For 25, I think that Thomas, Mitchell, Collins, and Harrison are gone. Cam has to know that he uses the next 12 months to develop, then he fights for a starting spot in 25.

Don’t hear the term “dude” too much anymore. Interesting, thanks for sharing😴
I would like to see Colzie in there as well. He seems smooth running and catching and he is more experienced now.

So why are we not running a two TE set? Our 2nd TE is sure to better than our 3rd WR.

It fits into who we are whether you like it or not.

Sorry we aren't Texas Tech .

So why are we not running a two TE set? Our 2nd TE is sure to better than our 3rd WR.
We will run some but not as much as before

The Denbrock offense is different than the past OCs

We want to be more explosive

Our WR room is actually very deep right now

We will run some but not as much as before

The Denbrock offense is different than the past OCs

We want to be more explosive

Our WR room is actually very deep right now
If we go into a lot of 2te sets it’s probably because our tackles are struggling, and obviously that’s not good.

Like you said, first year in a long time we have quality wr depth

If we go into a lot of 2te sets it’s probably because our tackles are struggling, and obviously that’s not good.

Like you said, first year in a long time we have quality wr depth

Personally, I hope to see a continued emphasis on running the ball, like we've had the first few years under Freeman. I hope he gives Denbrock that directive. Michigan used a traditional run-first offense to win a championship last year. And it's better for your defense, too, because you use more clock.

We have the type of defense that we don't need to be pitching it all over the field trying to outscore people, to win.

Personally, I hope to see a continued emphasis on running the ball, like we've had the first few years under Freeman. I hope he gives Denbrock that directive. Michigan used a traditional run-first offense to win a championship last year. And it's better for your defense, too, because you use more clock.

We have the type of defense that we don't need to be pitching it all over the field trying to outscore people, to win.
We need to be more explosive on offense. That's the number 1 goal.

We're going to run the ball this year and run it well. But being more explosive is an absolute must

We're going to run the ball this year and run it well. But being more explosive is an absolute must
Maybe, but we don't need to turn games into track meets to win games, with this defense. I'd like to see better rushing numbers out of our RBs than LSU had last year. Daniels was their leading rusher with 1134 yds, and their top RB only had 653 yds. And I think Freeman will tell Denbrock to emphasize that more; that seems to be his philosophy.

Maybe, but we don't need to turn games into track meets to win games, with this defense. I'd like to see better rushing numbers out of our RBs than LSU had last year. Daniels was their leading rusher with 1134 yds, and their top RB only had 653 yds. And I think Freeman will tell Denbrock to emphasize that more; that seems to be his philosophy.
Your thoughts certainly worked for Michigan in 2023.

Run the damn football well.

Then go from there.

We have more talented backs than LSU and not as talented WRs. We will run much more than they did

Reactions: sjb75
I disagree.

Who's our #3 WR at this point. If healthy, it's a deep and talented group.
I have no clue who the third WR is. How can anyone. The top of the WR depth chart is a lot of transfer portal, plus Faison and Greathouse.

Reactions: tbonesays
I have no clue who the third WR is. How can anyone. The top of the WR depth chart is a lot of transfer portal, plus Faison and Greathouse.
It's going to be one of the top 5 guys, pick one

Greathouse
Collins
Mitchell
Faison
Thomas

We have more talented backs than LSU and not as talented WRs. We will run much more than they did
Hopefully so, and like I said, I think that's Freeman's philosophy, based on what he's said and done these last few years. I look forward to an explosive, but very balanced offense.

That suggests our 'depth' means a somewhat level playing field among good but not great options. I'm not sure if that is better than a stud backed up by a no-name.

Placing two TEs on the field does not mean that you must line up in the power I and run a halfback dive. We have already had guys like Tyler Eifert who were wide receivers in a different body type.

That suggests our 'depth' means a somewhat level playing field among good but not great options. I'm not sure if that is better than a stud backed up by a no-name.

Placing two TEs on the field does not mean that you must line up in the power I and run a halfback dive. We have already had guys like Tyler Eifert who were wide receivers in a different body type.
Not explosive though. Need more speed on the field. Need to play with more tempo.

It's hard to sustain 10 plus play drives consistently. You need quick scores during games and throughout the year

Not explosive though. Need more speed on the field. Need to play with more tempo.

It's hard to sustain 10 plus play drives consistently. You need quick scores during games and throughout the year
2023 Michigan says hello.

2023 Michigan says hello.
1 example.

I can say Joe Burrow, Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence etc etc say hello too. That point sucks

JJ McCarthy and Michigan also had big plays as well. Roman Wilson average over 16 ypc and he was very good.

It's very hard to sustain 10 plus play drives consistently. Especially against the really good defenses like the Georgia's of the world (who Michigan was lucky wasn't in the playoff)

We need balance but we need to become more explosive. Obvious to everyone

1 example.

I can say Joe Burrow, Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence etc etc say hello too. That point sucks

JJ McCarthy and Michigan also had big plays as well. Roman Wilson average over 16 ypc and he was very good.

It's very hard to sustain 10 plus play drives consistently. Especially against the really good defenses like the Georgia's of the world (who Michigan was lucky wasn't in the playoff)

We need balance but we need to become more explosive. Obvious to everyone
Michigan’s identity last season was running the football. Throwing the football was an afterthought.

And as well as Notre Dame recruits the OL-TE-RB position, IMO… ND’s identity needs to be running the football as well.

Reactions: mbd11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT