ADVERTISEMENT

Why Notre Dame should join the ACC in Football.

SchmidtyNole

I've posted how many times?
Feb 19, 2007
What are you guys hearing about Notre Dame ever joining the ACC for Football too? I think Notre Dame should. Why?

1) If the first two years of the College Football have not shown you, Notre Dame not being in a Conference is going to hurt them in trying to make the College Football Playoff. Why? Because the Irish only play 12 games.
Say Ohio State has 1 loss and Notre Dame has 1 loss. Then Ohio State goes and plays the Big 10 Championship and wins it. Who has the advantage? Ohio State does by going 12-1 instead of 11-1.
I'm not saying Notre Dame can't make it as an Independent, I'm just saying they are at a disadvantage.
2) The committee uses Conference Championships as one of their criteria. Since Notre Dame isn't in a conference, they can't earn that distinction.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? We'd love to have Notre Dame join full time to even out the divisions.

The only advantage, IMHO, would be the extra benefit of being able to win a conference championship. There's some banners and then berths into the playoff that might result.

We would lose national rivalries and national appeal to recruits though, so I think it would be overall a loss.

If ND is ever forced to join a conference for some reason, I'm sure ACC would be the landing spot though. So you've got that going for you.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Why not? You're in the ACC for every other sport.

You are asking the wrong question. The question is not "why not"? The proper question is "why"? Remaining independent is a much better situation for ND. There is no compelling reason for ND to join the ACC in football.

Schmidty Nole....

Yes, it's overwhelmingly obvious that ND remains at a disadvantage in football by not competing in a Conference Championship. Perhaps the real reason for remaining independent is simply the $$$. ND has their own TV contract and they don't share that or bowl money (win or lose) with other teams. Now, once their TV contract expires things may change.

The challenge for the ACC in trying to convince ND to join the conference is to figure out how to do it in such a way that it doesn't cost ND a lot of money while forfeiting their TV contract. One answer might be to put together a new ACC Network including ND and give ND a disproportionately larger share of the pie in the beginning in order to ease the cost of transition into the league football wise.

Also, ND could continue old rivalries simply by dropping teams like Army and Nevada.

While some ND alumni will always want to remain independent a growing number of ND fans are leaning toward joining the ACC in football full time just as they have in all the other sports. And in fact, you will see a number of fans on this very board pulling for ACC teams in the playoffs and in bowl games!

The alignment with the ACC was a mistake. Football in the ACC? Hopefully never and ND should do everything they can to move other sports out of the ACC.

ND playing and expanded ACC football is great for the ACC, but bad for the ND fans and has hurt the SOS and the great rivalries.

Reactions: end_23
That was a concession to the ACC who begged ND to play their football teams and help make the ACC relevant again. FSU, et al, couldn't compete for eyeballs with SEC without ND.

This is not accurate. No one begged anyone. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. ND gets to play ACC schools during October and November,when conference teams are usually playing each other. ND also gets the benefits of ACC bowl tie ins. The ACC gets five games against ND every year. It works for both sides.

I disagree, this relationship, in football anyway, is very beneficial for the ACC having their schools affiliated with ND, but does little for ND and weakens the schedule overall.

Reactions: end_23
Schmidty Nole.....FYI:

Re...Tim Terriffic

argusman is an internet worm hiding behind the anonymity of the net that posts under many different names and actually talks with himself (aka argusman, holy smoke, epiticus, big fella fan, tim terrific and a host of others) all due to his lack of self esteem. This childish charade is foisted upon the message board by an adult man of retirement age living in South Florida. He also has an estranged daughter that attended FSU. He is a drop out of Maryville Teachers College (aka NW Missouri State) and pretends to be affiliated with Notre Dame but never attended the school. He hopes to curry favor from Notre Dame alumni through pretense and accolades for the school. He claims to have been honored ("hopnored", that's the way he spelled it) at a ND football game but when questioned can not come up with the date, the opponent or anything else. He is the pariah of Rivals, hated by all, estranged by a daughter and family and has no credibility with any Rivals posters.

I disagree, this relationship, in football anyway, is very beneficial for the ACC having their schools affiliated with ND, but does little for ND and weakens the schedule overall.

The beneficial part is a point the other poster made that you missed. That is, getting Notre Dame games in October and November. With most of the other leagues playing 9 conference games, they don't have as much room for OOC games later in the year. That was an issue going forward.

The other problem was bowl games. Now, most of the bowl games are affiliated with conferences. If Notre Dame didn't have an agreement with a conference, the choice would either be a NY6 bowl or the Las Vegas bowl-level game. Nothing in between.

You simply can't look at it the way you would 20-30 years ago. The structure of college football has changed too much.

That was a concession to the ACC who begged ND to play their football teams and help make the ACC relevant again. FSU, et al, couldn't compete for eyeballs with SEC without ND.
Nonsense. FSU gets plenty of eyeballs with or without Notre Dame. Just take a look at the ratings of games involving FSU the past 4 or 5 years whether we're playing Notre Dame or not. FSU is a National Brand just like Notre Dame is. We'd love to have your school join as a Full Member but we can do without you. We have had a representative in the CFP each of the first two years.

The beneficial part is a point the other poster made that you missed. That is, getting Notre Dame games in October and November. With most of the other leagues playing 9 conference games, they don't have as much room for OOC games later in the year. That was an issue going forward.

The other problem was bowl games. Now, most of the bowl games are affiliated with conferences. If Notre Dame didn't have an agreement with a conference, the choice would either be a NY6 bowl or the Las Vegas bowl-level game. Nothing in between.

You simply can't look at it the way you would 20-30 years ago. The structure of college football has changed too much.
Exactly. The Bowl tie ins are big. It wouldn't have mattered this year with Notre Dame making the Fiesta Bowl. But without affiliation with the ACC the only Bowl a 7-5 Notre Dame team would have been in in 2014 is the Toilet Bowl. Not a quality bowl like the Music City Bowl against an opponent like LSU. If Notre Dame doesn't like the agreement they have with the ACC they can get out and we can use our better bowl tie ins for other well deserving teams.

This is not accurate. No one begged anyone. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. ND gets to play ACC schools during October and November,when conference teams are usually playing each other. ND also gets the benefits of ACC bowl tie ins. The ACC gets five games against ND every year. It works for both sides.
Correct. Win/win for both parties.

Anyone thinking otherwise has little credibility or is simply a blooming idiot. ND would never have pursued the deal if it wasn't advantageous to the university. They didn't go for the arrangement out of sympathy for the ACC needs.

And the arrangement hasn't had any negative affect on the strength of schedule. They were scheduling numerous ACC teams every year on a regular basis long before the deal was made. If anything the ACC schedule has improved the SOS. Now they will play the Clemsons, VATECHs, GATECHs, FSUs, etc. occasionally instead of just the ACC bottom dwellers. It's the Nevadas and Armys that hurts the SOS.

Correct. Win/win for both parties.

Anyone thinking otherwise has little credibility or is simply a blooming idiot. ND would never have pursued the deal if it wasn't advantageous to the university. They didn't go for the arrangement out of sympathy for the ACC needs.

And the arrangement hasn't had any negative affect on the strength of schedule. They were scheduling numerous ACC teams every year on a regular basis long before the deal was made. If anything the ACC schedule has improved the SOS. Now they will play the Clemsons, VATECHs, GATECHs, FSUs, etc. occasionally instead of just the ACC bottom dwellers. It's the Nevadas and Armys that hurts the SOS.

Scotchirish................

Excellent post! You are telling it like it is. And ND has undergone huge changes in recent years (by ND standards) i.e. turf, uniform changes, stadium improvements, JUMBOTRON, recruiting youngsters (front page talks about 2018), football coaches taking part in ACC football conferences and the list goes on. There were posters on this very board that were adamant those changes would never happen. They used to voice their opinions vehemently and now all is forgotten. The same thing will happen once the ACC and the ND administration get all the details worked out for ND to become a full time ACC member in football. Of course, there will be hues and cries on this board but all of that will fade into the sunset once the deal is completed.

Again Scotchirish, thank you for being the voice of reason.

Maryville Teachers College...

giphy.gif

I have never heard of Maryvilles Teachers College, but my guess is I would rather have my daughter there than at FSU were they cover for rapists and have to pay off to keep it out of civil court!

You are a Nole fan trolling on a Notre Dame board. Why would anyone think you were telling the truth?

Did Winston do anything wrong and why did FSU cover for him?

You are a Nole fan trolling on a Notre Dame board. Why would anyone think you were telling the truth?

Did Winston do anything wrong and why did FSU cover for him?
Did he walk out with Crab Legs and not pay for them? Yes. Was it wrong? Yes. Was he punished for it? Yes. Did he quote a meme in the Student Union? Yes. Was it wrong? Yes but I heard worse all the time as a college student. Was he punished? Yes. Should he have been punished for that? That is debatable. Finally did he rape the girl? No. And the State Attorney and an independant Former Supreme Court judge agree with me. Is that all?

No one from ether party you mentioned ever said he didn't rape the girl and, so far, FSU has paid to shut her up and Winston soon will. Nice spin though.

No one from ether party you mentioned ever said he didn't rape the girl and, so far, FSU has paid to shut her up and Winston soon will. Nice spin though.
FSU paid because they had already doled out $1.7 million in legal fees from depositions and discovery. If they just wanted to shut her up they would have paid her before they doled out $1.7 million in legal fees. They settled for a measly $950,000 of which her attorneys got $700,000 of it.. They wanted to take it all the way to trial but it got too darn expensive. Winston's attorneys have already stated after FSU settled that Winston will not settle and they are looking forward to asking Erica questions when she is under oath. If she gets money from Winston she is going to have to win at Trial and she hasn't won a single time yet under any entity that has heard her case.

Last edited:
Argus is pretending to be 32 years old with this latest username.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

This guy is like Charles Manson level crazy.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
You're nuts! FSU paid because they knew they would lose in court because virtually everyone agrees they did not investigate the rape in an attempt to cover for Winston. The Feds and Title IX will also soon have a field day on FSU for their refusal to protect their female student.

As for Winston, he will never go to court because he would have to lie about what he did opening himself up for criminal charges.

You mopes can spin this any way you want, but what is happening is exactly what I and most others have forecasted since he originally raped the girl.

The bottom line is that Winston and those who covered for him will rot in Hell and it will be well deserved. Yes, in Hell with Jumbo who stated Winston was a great ambassador for FSU and a credit to the University. And he wonder why his wife left him for a Gator!

You're nuts! FSU paid because they knew they would lose in court because virtually everyone agrees they did not investigate the rape in an attempt to cover for Winston. The Feds and Title IX will also soon have a field day on FSU for their refusal to protect their female student.

As for Winston, he will never go to court because he would have to lie about what he did opening himself up for criminal charges.

You mopes can spin this any way you want, but what is happening is exactly what I and most others have forecasted since he originally raped the girl.

The bottom line is that Winston and those who covered for him will rot in Hell and it will be well deserved. Yes, in Hell with Jumbo who stated Winston was a great ambassador for FSU and a credit to the University. And he wonder why his wife left him for a Gator!
You're nuts. You've read too much spin from TMZ and the NY Times. Dude, when the Winston case went public back in November of 2013, FSU's Title IX Coordinator tried to make contact with Erica through her attorney Pat Carroll. Carroll told FSU to cease all contact with her client. She was banking on getting Winston through the Criminal System. When that fell through then she hired the Title IX attorneys in February 2014 to try to get $$$$ through a Title IX lawsuit. Erica never even made herself available to be interviewed by FSU's Title IX coordinator until August of 2014.

The only information Erica had on FSU to even come close to winning a Title IX case is the fact that Jimbo Fisher and Monk Bonasorte in the Athletic Department became aware of the allegation in January 2013. Fisher knew nothing other than the fact that Winston was implicated in a rape case. They didn't know the details or even that the person who made the allegation was an FSU student. Their response was the let the criminal investigation go on. Erica argues that Fisher and Bonasorte had the obligation to report their limited knowledge of the details of the alleged rape to the Title IX coordinator even though Fisher and Bonasorte didn't know who the alleged victim was or even that it was an FSU Student.

What the NY Times won't tell you is that Erica was offered to switch out of Winston's class in January 2013 and she declined. What the NY Times also won't tell you is that in December 2012 a FSU Victim Advocate made Erica aware of the fact that she could bring disciplinary Code of Conduct charges against the perpetrator. She didn't until it was financially beneficial for her to do so.

I always take comments from people like yourself who get their info from TMZ and the NY Times with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Almost every word you just posted has been disputed by the investigation or just pure bullshit. The fact that Monk Bonosorart (sp) a convicted felon is the responible party for FSU's investigation speaks volumes.

Last I checked nothing except the gir

It's becoming clear why all these ND fans think you are a total loon.

Last edited:
Nonsense. FSU gets plenty of eyeballs with or without Notre Dame. Just take a look at the ratings of games involving FSU the past 4 or 5 years whether we're playing Notre Dame or not. FSU is a National Brand just like Notre Dame is. We'd love to have your school join as a Full Member but we can do without you. We have had a representative in the CFP each of the first two years.
FSU is a regional brand. Get used to it. Without ND on your schedule, you SOS drops 50 points.

FSU is a regional brand. Get used to it. Without ND on your schedule, you SOS drops 50 points.
In this one from 2014 I see FSU listed 6 times and I see Notre Dame listed 2 times and one of them was the FSU/Notre Dame game. But wait, I thought FSU was regional and eyeballs only watch Notre Dame .
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/florida_state_alabama_recordin.html

http://m.campussports.net/clemsonflorida-state-draws-huge-tv-ratings/

http://fanbuzz.rare.us/story/florida-state-boston-college-espn-highest-overnight-three-years/

argusman is a delusional old man living in Naples, Florida with a daughter that went to FSU and has totally estranged him. He is an obsessive compulsive about Bobby Bowden and anything connected to FSU. He invents aliases name after name and is a worm on the internet that talks to himself through his different identities.. He is preceded by his reputation and is reviled by all throughout the Rivals network. Argus :confused::confused::confused::confused:

What are you guys hearing about Notre Dame ever joining the ACC for Football too? I think Notre Dame should. Why?

1) If the first two years of the College Football have not shown you, Notre Dame not being in a Conference is going to hurt them in trying to make the College Football Playoff. Why? Because the Irish only play 12 games.
Say Ohio State has 1 loss and Notre Dame has 1 loss. Then Ohio State goes and plays the Big 10 Championship and wins it. Who has the advantage? Ohio State does by going 12-1 instead of 11-1.
I'm not saying Notre Dame can't make it as an Independent, I'm just saying they are at a disadvantage.
2) The committee uses Conference Championships as one of their criteria. Since Notre Dame isn't in a conference, they can't earn that distinction.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? We'd love to have Notre Dame join full time to even out the divisions.
Why are people so fascinated with conference speak. This shit seemed to be spear headed by ESPN ever since other conference title games became the norm.

Stop ..just stop. We are Notre Dame. We love our independence. I'm willing to bet more schools in the near future leave some conferences and become Indy status. Mark my words.

Reactions: Nocalirish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT