ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t Notre Dame fans proud of Tommy Rees?

Where were you when the Alabama offense scored 27 against the then #1 team and two time defending champion Georgia Bulldogs? Which put Alabama in the playoffs.

Amazing the criticism Rees is getting for being one of four OC's out of 132 to make it to the playoffs.
Omg 27 points in college! Let's throw a parade

OCs dont get credit for team wins. Thats what head coaches get. OCs get judged by their offense, period. His offense was okay

Reactions: francade
Omg 27 points in college! Let's throw a parade

OCs dont get credit for team wins. Thats what head coaches get. OCs get judged by their offense, period. His offense was okay
You've just proved what a complete idiot you are. You must have been dropped on your head as an infant multiple times. You are definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I guess Ryan Grubb sucks too, since he only put up 13 points with a Heisman finalist against Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU.

You've just proved what a complete idiot you are. You must have been dropped on your head as an infant multiple times. You are definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I guess Ryan Grubb sucks too, since he only put up 13 points with a Heisman finalist against Michigan.

I guess Ryan Grubb sucks too, since he only put up 13 points with a Heisman finalist against Michigan.
Expect another spin narrative.

Reactions: NDinNJ
“When you have a legendary coach like Saban hiring him and giving positive feedback, yes. you look stupid.”

Even when after the hire they had their worst offense in 15 years? I’m fine w/ looking stupid to you about this subject, you’re obviously entrenched in supporting rees. We can disagree w/o calling each other stupid, no?
They made the CFP with a first year average QB, who with coaching showed some improvement over the course of the season; I say that that is pretty good. Also it is clear that this AL team was not as talented as most prior years. Anyone can see that.

I guess Ryan Grubb sucks too, since he only put up 13 points with a Heisman finalist against Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU.
No. He's elite. It's Tommy who is average

and couch critics know less than actual coaches even if they do make mistakes.
But you can point them out, no? Just like you calling out BK and wanting him replaced. How can you tell if another coach is better if BK knows more than you? You know nothing. You're a couch critic

They made the CFP with a first year average QB, who with coaching showed some improvement over the course of the season; I say that that is pretty good. Also it is clear that this AL team was not as talented as most prior years. Anyone can see that.
They make the Playoff almost every year. And he's not judged by making the Playoff. That's what Saban is judged by. He's judged by how the offense performs

“They made the CFP with a first year average QB, who with coaching showed some improvement over the course of the season; I say that that is pretty good. Also it is clear that this AL team was not as talented as most prior years. Anyone can see that.”

It’s debatable whether they should’ve made the playoffs but they had a good season, no doubt. Offensively they were okay, nothing special, gaining about 350 yds a game in most of their games. If you wanna say that bama wasn’t talented, that’s fine, but it flies in the face of their recruiting cycles lately. We’ll see how the new staff does w/ the dregs of bama football next year I guess.

I wasn't speaking just at ND (30-6). I talking his entire run as an OC which includes a 12- 2 yr at Alabama
He had 8 losses as ND OC. Georgia and Bama OCs had better runs. Same at OSU and Clemson

Also, wins aren't on the OC. That's a HC stat. OCs are judged by their offenses

Almost top 30 with a first year QB who isn't that good, certainly inexperienced. So I'd say they had a fine season to make the CFP
You can stamp that on every Kelly-Rees season, we're bad at quarterbacks so our mediocre offense was a great accomplishment.

He had 8 losses as ND OC. Georgia and Bama OCs had better runs. Same at OSU and Clemson

Also, wins aren't on the OC. That's a HC stat. OCs are judged by their offenses
Geez......
I know wins belong to the coach, what I've should of said there were more wins during his tenure as OC
1 - i said "than I can remember"
2 - judging by his offense there is alot wins games
3 - I don't follow Ga, or Alabama, but if you are touting those 2 as your example to compare to Tommy Rees in the same time span as OC that is indeed high praise

I’m not sure I agree with the third base analogy but if it is true, it is true of many ND alumni. Perhaps that explains the dichotomy and discord between who respects and does not respect Tommy Rees.
If he was born on 3rd base, it was the outsize role he ended up playing as an actual QB as a player at ND. Assuming he was ahead of the typical college freshman on account of his dad, and so was always someone who could reasonably strive for a coaching career after his playing days were over, I would say the good fortune TR enjoyed more than anything was getting to play as much as he did. If he had been nothing more than a clipboard-carrying back up all four years, it's very possibly his coaching career could have got off to a much slower start. Namely, he might not have ever got to coach for ND, and enjoy such a quick rise up to OC, without that relationship with BK, that definitely one would think wouldn't have been as tight if TR never meant anything to the team's fortunes as a player.

Bottom line being he's definitely lived a charmed life ever since he set foot in South Bend.....

Reactions: deadirishpoet
You can stamp that on every Kelly-Rees season, we're bad at quarterbacks so our mediocre offense was a great accomplishment.
Yeah that's great, but spin the narrative all you want. They made the CFP with less talent than prior years, just a fact

Geez......
I know wins belong to the coach, what I've should of said there were more wins during his tenure as OC
1 - i said "than I can remember"
2 - judging by his offense there is alot wins games
3 - I don't follow Ga, or Alabama, but if you are touting those 2 as your example to compare to Tommy Rees in the same time span as OC that is indeed high praise
Chip Long had more during his tenure

The OP is asking why ND fans are not more proud of Rees, not whether he’s an elite OC. Tommy has much to be proud of, and I think he is a great example of the 4 for 40 message that we proudly think differentiates ND. He should have been a career back up at ND based on his physical skills, and yet he is in the top three in the ND record books for completions and yards, etc… He’s used his brains and the benefits of a ND degree and His football playing days and is off to an impressive coaching career at a very young age. He’s incredibly successful by most metrics, and we should all be proud of his accomplishments. This is distinctly separate from whether you liked him as our QB or OC! I didn’t, but I want him to be successful.

The OP is asking why ND fans are not more proud of Rees, not whether he’s an elite OC. Tommy has much to be proud of, and I think he is a great example of the 4 for 40 message that we proudly think differentiates ND. He should have been a career back up at ND based on his physical skills, and yet he is in the top three in the ND record books for completions and yards, etc… He’s used his brains and the benefits of a ND degree and His football playing days and is off to an impressive coaching career at a very young age. He’s incredibly successful by most metrics, and we should all be proud of his accomplishments. This is distinctly separate from whether you liked him as our QB or OC! I didn’t, but I want him to be successful.
Notre Dame starting QB, Notre Dame Grad, Notre Dame OC, Notre Dame Man.

TR is what my dad used to call “a born on third base guy”. When he played the tv guys always talked about his father being a coach, he was a coach on the field, he was light years ahead of a normal x and o‘s. etc. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for his “wonder kid ” knowledge of the game. He didn’t make it to third base on his own he started there. Not his fault but the lack of grinding it to get to third base shows. May be a great guy but the simple perception is that he didn’t earn the level he is at. Again, not his fault in the least.
This analogy doesn’t apply whatsoever here. Tommy was not a legacy kid when he arrived at ND, his dad wasn’t a former ND coach or player either. There are a lot of CFB players whose fathers coach FB, so what?

Tommy may not have been the greatest QB to sling it for ND or the greatest OC to call plays in South Bend but he stuck around when he had the chance to leave with Kelly, that’s something.

I’m not TR biggest fan but he is more of a Domer than anyone on this board.

Last edited:
This analogy doesn’t apply whatsoever here. Tommy was not a legacy kid when he arrived at ND, his dad wasn’t a former ND coach or player either. There are a lot of CFB players whose fathers coach FB, so what?

Tommy may not have been the greatest QB to sling it for ND or the greatest OC to call plays in Southbend but he stuck around when he had the chance to leave with Kelly, that’s something.

I’m not TR biggest fan but he is more of a Domer than anyone on this board.
👍👍👍

Reactions: melstew
It seems to me that there are a few people that are upset with Tommy since he left. But my feeling, and I sense the feeling of many ND Fans is that he is a honorable son of the University of the Lady of the Lake. But, liking Tommy and wishing him well--is not the same thing as thinking he was great. He was a serviceable qb, but Golson took over and did more with the same. I was never inspired by his work as an OC and never understood the wunderkind label. It was great that he stayed at ND when BK left. I thought he was below average at Bama, and the fact that he struggled choosing between Milrose and Buchner is an indictment. So, liking the guy and disagreeing with the narrative that he should be a coveted coach are not mutually exclusive and I think the author may not fully understand that.

It seems to me that there are a few people that are upset with Tommy since he left. But my feeling, and I sense the feeling of many ND Fans is that he is a honorable son of the University of the Lady of the Lake. But, liking Tommy and wishing him well--is not the same thing as thinking he was great. He was a serviceable qb, but Golson took over and did more with the same. I was never inspired by his work as an OC and never understood the wunderkind label. It was great that he stayed at ND when BK left. I thought he was below average at Bama, and the fact that he struggled choosing between Milrose and Buchner is an indictment. So, liking the guy and disagreeing with the narrative that he should be a coveted coach are not mutually exclusive and I think the author may not fully understand that.
Sorry but, do correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't AL win the SEC and make the CFP? Some here with their narrative don't give him any credit for that, which just proves the negative bias

Rees is at the top of his profession. Hired by one great college coach and the greatest college coach of all time.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Sorry but, do correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't AL win the SEC and make the CFP? Some here with their narrative don't give him any credit for that, which just proves the negative bias
I think we can disagree without either being bias (at least not in a negative way).Alabama has averaged well over 70 TDs a season--sometimes reaching 80 or 90. Last year they scored 57. But my biggest critique is he saw Buchner play up close and thought he was the answer. I like the guy but think he got swept up as a media darling and is overrated.

TR is what my dad used to call “a born on third base guy”. When he played the tv guys always talked about his father being a coach, he was a coach on the field, he was light years ahead of a normal x and o‘s. etc. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for his “wonder kid ” knowledge of the game. He didn’t make it to third base on his own he started there. Not his fault but the lack of grinding it to get to third base shows. May be a great guy but the simple perception is that he didn’t earn the level he is at. Again, not his fault in the least.
👍👍👍👍

Yeah that's great, but spin the narrative all you want. They made the CFP with less talent than prior years, just a fact
You mean 2023 Bama? They had more talent than anyone they faced including the eventual national champion. Also making the playoff is/was largely a function of the strength of schedule.

The only ones that hate Tommy Rees are the loudmouths like golson and those whose small and pathetic lives are supposedly made better by hating on others

He did the best he could as a QB with limited physical ability
that is all anyone can ask
as an OC I was not happy but there is no indication it was because he did not work hard or try his best

hating on someone who does that just shows that YOU are the pathetic person

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT