ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the better QB: Pyne or Buchner?

Shakin' Down the Thunder

Posts Like A Champion
Jul 10, 2012
These two just might be competing for a starting job someday. Who you say is better? It's hard to tell especially with Buchner having so little film, but based on potential I gotta say Buchner. He's clearly the better athlete and the kid just throws a mean spiral. Pyne at this time though I will say has the better fundamentals in terms of footwork and throwing technique and his touch on the ball is better. However, Buchner can correct all of that and overtake Pyne. The future is exciting!
Thoughts???

Let's ask this question when Buchner has a chance to grow and REALLY develop!

Way too early to tell. Buchner has enormously more upside than Pyne, but looked how that ended up when comparting Book and Wimbush. Every coach in the country would have recruited Brandon over Ian had they been quarterbacks in the same cycle... Yet, Ian turned out to be the better player because Brandon's passing skills and decision making did not translate to the faster college level as the ND staff had hoped.

Again, you'd take Buchner over Pyne 10 times out of 10 from a talent / upside perspective, but at this point nobody should be surprised if the lesser athlete winds up being the better player. A significant part of the QB position is the mental component. Some guys figure it out and others don't... Ian has is figured out for the most part. He's not perfect, but he's a darn good decision maker. In a perfect world, Jurkovec, Pyne and Buchner all figure it out as well. 2 of those 3 guys have more upside than Ian from a talent perspective.

Way too early to tell. Buchner has enormously more upside than Pyne, but looked how that ended up when comparting Book and Wimbush. Every coach in the country would have recruited Brandon over Ian had they been quarterbacks in the same cycle... Yet, Ian turned out to be the better player because Brandon's passing skills and decision making did not translate to the faster college level as the ND staff had hoped.

Again, you'd take Buchner over Pyne 10 times out of 10 from a talent / upside perspective, but at this point nobody should be surprised if the lesser athlete winds up being the better player. A significant part of the QB position is the mental component. Some guys figure it out and others don't... Ian has is figured out for the most part. He's not perfect, but he's a darn good decision maker. In a perfect world, Jurkovec, Pyne and Buchner all figure it out as well. 2 of those 3 guys have more upside than Ian from a talent perspective.

Yeah, everything I’ve been told about Pyne is he is a machine, both mentally & technically.
He does all the drills perfectly & has perfect technique.
I also like his mindset. After he was named the 3 Stripe Challenge MVP at his regional (despite being a year younger than everybody) the comments by the Rivals national guys were all about his size. He responded on Twitter he would show them size doesn’t matter. Then he outperformed many of the (older) QBs at the National 5 Star Challenge. Once again they talked about his size & downgrades him from top 50 to outside the top 200. He once again fired back he would prove them all wrong. I like that spunkiness.

IIO -- i remember you saying you thought B. Clark might surprise us all... Still feel that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT