ADVERTISEMENT

Where the clowns at tonight!

I believe the 2 top 10 wins inside ND stadium is the same amount of top 10 wins inside ND stadium as BK had

That is what a ND reported said last night

And obviously 12 seasons to 2

Reactions: BGI User 756
Freeman is objectively so much better than Ty was. Those were the first ND teams I followed really, and I remember it just felt hopeless.
Freeman is not only better, he is exactly opposite of Ty. Ty stopped recruiting in its tracks. Look up NDs class recruiting rankings under Ty. We weren’t in the top 50 in his last few classes. Ranked below the likes of Rice U. It was like Ty was on a personal mission to destroy ND and he nearly did (along with UW shortly thereafter).

Marcus appears to genuinely love ND and is transparent in his plans to recruit as actively as any head coach in the country.

Will he be successful? Time will tell, but he has my full support and confidence right now

PS: beating sC doesn’t hurt

I get what the OP is saying. The board activity was through the roof last Saturday and if we are all being honest it was a sad display of dog whistle racist posts about Freeman & even a few vocal posters that were pretty blunt about their displeasure that ND gave him a shot. This Saturday we crush our biggest rival & the board was damn near dead last night.
Some of the posts weren’t even dog whistles. They looked like rants straight out of a klan rally.

That’s your benchmark, Ty Willingham ?

You should set higher standards !
My benchmark is Holtz, Devine, Ara, Leahy, Knute. Freeman is in year 2, too early to tell.

If ND puts together a 10-2 season this year and next year, with a playoff appearance in 2024, would the criticism stop?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
My benchmark is Holtz, Devine, Ara, Leahy, Knute. Freeman is in year 2, too early to tell.

If ND puts together a 10-2 season this year and next year, with a playoff appearance in 2024, would the criticism stop?
I do not believe there is a whole lot of criticism of Marcus Freeman, except for the Ohio State game and 10 on the field. Other than that, MF is progressing well.

And IMO comparing different eras is unfair to the here and now. No way can any head coach today at Notre Dame match what Frank Leahy did.

Why is it racist or a “dog whistle” to say Freeman might not be ready for the ND HC job? I think he’s a great man, really do but I’m still skeptical a guy with ZERO HC experience is going to lead ND to great success.

I sure hope he does but things like 10 men on the field (OSU), saying Estime should’ve taken a knee down by one with 39 seconds left, losing to Marshall, and a one win Stanford. He will also look despondent at times when things aren’t going well, like he doesn’t know what to do. Those are real tangible failures on his part IMO.

Some of you see rAciSm everywhere.

Why is it racist or a “dog whistle” to say Freeman might not be ready for the ND HC job? I think he’s a great man, really do but I’m still skeptical a guy with ZERO HC experience is going to lead ND to great success.

I sure hope he does but things like 10 men on the field (OSU), saying Estime should’ve taken a knee down by one with 39 seconds left, losing to Marshall, and a one win Stanford. He will also look despondent at times when things aren’t going well, like he doesn’t know what to do. Those are real tangible failures on his part IMO.

Some of you see rAciSm everywhere.
Criticism alone is not racism. Saying blatantly racist things is racism. Most on here criticized legitimately. A few, with their actual words, took it to another level. I’m not one to throw the r word out there unless it’s justified. Those that see it in everything delegitimize the word and turn people off from believing when racism actually is in play.

Yes and No.

Yes, it would demonstrate that he can produce consistently good teams/seasons.

No, because there are those who claim that a Notre Dame coach who doesn’t win the National Championship isn’t a good coach* !

* Brian Kelly

Criticism alone is not racism. Saying blatantly racist things is racism. Most on here criticized legitimately. A few, with their actual words, took it to another level. I’m not one to throw the r word out there unless it’s justified. Those that see it in everything delegitimize the word and turn people off from believing when racism actually is in play.
Would you cite the racist comments.

‘Thanks

Would you cite the racist comments.

‘Thanks
Just off my top of my head, look at anything IndyIrish24 has posted.

- “Woke hire.”
- “Bunch of ****ing trash in the stands at Louisville. Exactly what is to be expected in a democratic shit hole.”
- “Got beat by a bunch of gang banging thugs who can’t read. Whole city is a slum.”
- “Ball game. **** you, Marcus. ****in (insert n word here).”

That’s just what I saw that night. God only knows what else has been said.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I’d truly like to see those comments as I’ve read a lot of the threads and haven’t seen anything overtly racist or even insinuated. If that’s true, they should be banned.

Yes and No.

Yes, it would demonstrate that he can produce consistently good teams/seasons.

No, because there are those who claim that a Notre Dame coach who doesn’t win the National Championship isn’t a good coach* !

* Brian Kelly
Well, I see your point, and I'm in that group, but Kelly was given 12 years to try. Should Marcus Freeman get the same amount of time to succeed?

Well, I see your point, and I'm in that group, but Kelly was given 12 years to try. Should Marcus Freeman get the same amount of time to succeed?
And really, Kelly had quite a few years that we would deem to be average before he finally seemed to figure it out. Obviously big games were an issue, but the records and contention were where we want to be. I suspect that if Freeman can get his offense problem figured out, this program will be right back to where it was when Kelly left…Only Freeman seems to be able to win the big games.

- “Woke hire.”
- “Bunch of ****ing trash in the stands at Louisville. Exactly what is to be expected in a democratic shit hole.”
- “Got beat by a bunch of gang banging thugs who can’t read. Whole city is a slum.”

First,

- “Woke hire.”

been here a long time, never heard of that guy, that’s one person, and if he said the word he should be banned as well.

I was led to believe it was rampant according to two posters in this thread. That hardly seems the case.

- “Woke hire.”

“woke hire” is racist ?
”democratic shithole” is racist ?
”gang banging thugs” is certainly derogatory, don’t know that I’d consider racist.
‘Did you consider “Catholics vs Convicts” racist ?
Saying F you isn’t racist, it’s said on this site all the time absent ethnic knowledge

Where did anyone use the “N” word ?
Cite the poster and cite the date the post was made.
That would certainly be a terrible racist comment
IF it was made.

First,

been here a long time, never heard of that guy, that’s one person, and if he said the word he should be banned as well.

I was led to believe it was rampant according to two posters in this thread. That hardly seems the case.
That poster is complete trash. He lost it completely. A keyboard warrior that probably wouldn't say sh1t to anyone's face. He's garbage and should be treated as such.

That would depend upon his emerging record.

If MF goes 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 7-5 should he be given 12 years ?
What if his record is worse ?

You’re anti-Kelly to the extreme.

I was critical of Kelly dating back to 2012, but you can’t deny that Kelly and Kelly alone resurrected the ND football program and brought it into vying for the National Championship in just 3 years.

implying that MF should get 12 years is a major stretch

I was critical of Kelly dating back to 2012, but you can’t deny that Kelly and Kelly alone resurrected the ND football program and brought it into vying for the National Championship in just 3 years.

I’d argue BK’s tenure at ND started in far different circumstances.

BK inherited an absolute dumpster fire, ND was incredibly soft, defensive recruiting wasn’t very good, development was poor. BK had to change everything, within three years they played for a NC.

MF inherited a program in good shape, a top 10 program/team, just far different situations.

Again, I’m rooting my ass off for Coach Free but I’m not sure a rookie head coach can be successful at ND.

Oh boy.

Kelly will try to tell you Kelly alone did it

Lol

Reactions: francade

BK inherited an absolute dumpster fire, ND was incredibly soft, defensive recruiting wasn’t very good, development was poor. BK had to change everything, within three years they played for a NC.

MF inherited a program in good shape, a top 10 program/team, just far different situations.

Again, I’m rooting my ass off for Coach Free but I’m not sure a rookie head coach can be successful at ND.
Absolutely can

If you look at the roster, it's possible BK got the better roster year 1. It's closer than I thought originally

Charlie left him a lot of talent

Kelly after 2012 went 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, and 4-8. This was his team completely from 2013 on. He may have inherited a dumpster fire, but 2013 onward was all Kelly.

Absolutely can

If you look at the roster, it's possible BK got the better roster year 1. It's closer than I thought originally

Charlie left him a lot
I respect your opinion but really disagree. The ND program was an absolute MESS, are you saying Freeman took over a similar situation.

Kelly after 2012 went 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, and 4-8. This was his team completely from 2013 on. He may have inherited a dumpster fire, but 2013 onward was all Kelly.
Fair but ND won 10 or more 5 straight seasons, had never happened before.

My biggest gripe is the QB position was poorly developed and managed by him.

Fair but ND won 10 or more 5 straight seasons, had never happened before.

My biggest gripe is the QB position was poorly developed and managed by him.
Yes fair, but also, Kelly was presented with some of the easiest schedules during that 5 year stretch through no fault of his own. 2021 had one ranked team (Cincinnati), a roster consisting of 2 and 3 star recruits on the schedule at home no less and they lose that game by 2 scores. That game right there summed up Kelly's entire tenure at ND. Could never beat highly ranked opponents. It got to the point where I could look at the schedule and know which games Kelly was going to choke in.

I respect your opinion but really disagree. The ND program was an absolute MESS, are you saying Freeman took over a similar situation.
The culture of the program was much better that MF took over. The pure talent is close. Closer than I thought. The roster was really good that Kelly took over. More top end talent with that group imo

I would agree, but I was trying to address ND in NJ’s post

You’re missing the point, Kelly took ND from the cellar to the rooftop !

Kelly went undefeated twice and vied for three NC’s from 2012 to 2021.

That’s undeniable !

The culture of the program was much better that MF took over. The pure talent is close. Closer than I thought. The roster was really good that Kelly took over. More top end talent with that group imo
ND was in the cellar when Kelly took over.

Freeman took over a successful program

There is no comparison !

ND was in the cellar when Kelly took over.

Freeman took over a successful program

There is no comparison !
Program was better that MF took over

Talent is questionable. The roster was stacked that Kelly took over

You’re missing the point, Kelly took ND from the cellar to the rooftop !

Kelly went undefeated twice and vied for three NC’s from 2012 to 2021.

That’s undeniable !
I'm not denying that. My standard are the coaches that won championships, Kelly didn't. With Freeman it's too early, Freeman is here 5 years unless the wheels come completely off, so let's see how it plays out.

Yes fair, but also, Kelly was presented with some of the easiest schedules during that 5 year stretch through no fault of his own. 2021 had one ranked team (Cincinnati), a roster consisting of 2 and 3 star recruits on the schedule at home no less and they lose that game by 2 scores. That game right there summed up Kelly's entire tenure at ND. Could never beat highly ranked opponents. It got to the point where I could look at the schedule and know which games Kelly was going to choke in.
Kelly didn’t structure the schedule and if Kelly wasn’t hired another coach would have played the same schedule.

Kelly played the schedule that was presented to him and his record speaks volumes

I'm not denying that. My standard are the coaches that won championships, Kelly didn't. With Freeman it's too early, Freeman is here 5 years unless the wheels come completely off, so let's see how it plays out.
How many coaches from 2010 to 2022 met that standard ?

Time will tell.

My guess is that more QB’s will arrive on campus via the portal.

One thing I will say about MF, he is a super positive guy and never tosses guys under the bus as BK would occasionally do after a loss.

How many coaches from 2010 to 2022 met that standard ?

Time will tell.

My guess is that more QB’s will arrive on campus via the portal.
Not as few as one may think. Considering at most you can have is 12 different coaches in 12 years, there have been 6 different coaches in 12 years. No different than most other decades.
Nick Saban
Jimbo Fisher
Urban Meyer
Dabo Swinney
Ed Orgeron
Kirby Smart

The comparison is apples to oranges. Ty was an experienced HC and he failed on Saturdays and in recruiting. MF on the other hand is learning from his mistakes and is recruiting really well.
No argument from me on this one...just noted that the dog-whistles were part of the criticism of Ty and his country club attitude (wasn't there a Ty in "Caddy Shack?")

I don’t agree about the posts being racist.

I objected to his hire due to his lack of experience at the Head Coaching position, and I believe many others felt the same way.

Compounding the issue was ND’s history of hiring HC’s with no prior HC experience resulting in disastrous results

The price of his inexperience became self evident in the last few minutes of the OSU game.

i believe that the MAJOR flaw in almost all boards is the disproportionate number of posts that just bitch, with many borne out of total ignorance, versus those posts that offer “constructive criticism”

Without “constructive criticism“, progress is impossible !

”Constructive criticism“ is invaluable !
There were Posts that were definitely racist by one or two posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT