ADVERTISEMENT

What to do at rb if jones doesnt return

I feel like you are describing Armando Allen and you are scaring the sheet out of me.

Man do I feel it’s a mistake not trying to add another elite back this class.

Armando Allen was an elite back before he suffered a horrible broken leg as a high school senior and never got back to being the same player. Lost a lot of speed in that injury. The same thing happened to Javon McKinley as a freshman at ND.

Armando Allen was an elite back before he suffered a horrible broken leg as a high school senior and never got back to being the same player. Lost a lot of speed in that injury. The same thing happened to Javon McKinley as a freshman at ND.
At ND he was Armando “Almost” Allen ... great vision and quickness through the hole, could only imagine what that extra gear would have meant for him

Did he punch Jimmy or not? I’m still angry.

Oh no! Oh no! Whatta we do??!!! Whatta we do??!!!

If the ND coaching staff cannot take Tyree, Smith, CBo, and Williams and replicate and improve the production that Jones generated out of the position next year.... I'm not even sure what could be said.

We are talking about replacing an average at best RB against a schedule next year that will feature one good defense and an elite defense.

We are bringing in a five star RB that is considered the fastest player in the country. If the staff cannot find ways to put him in position to be successful 8-12 times per game...I'm not even sure what could be said.

Most on this board purport that Kelly is a great coach and ND is an elite program on the rise and yet now we have a thread laced with hand wringing about replacing Tony Jones?

People on this board cannot continue to have it both ways.

Either Kelly is an elite coach and ND is an elite and upcoming program and replacing players is not an issue (especially average ones) and ND simply reloads under Kelly....or....

ND is only a top 15ish program and Kelly is an average coach at best, and yes, so replacing an average RB like Jones is a huge deal because the position has been ignored in recruiting until this past year by yet another subpar coach that was allowed to hang around and stick on the staff by Kelly for far too long.

And yes, it is a concern that Tyree is only a freshman because Kelly has rarely, if ever, shown the ability to put talented young offensive skill position players in a position to be successful early in their careers. And his mundane and stale offense has no wrinkles or creativity incorporated into the scheme besides a flanker end around.

Also, another cause for concern, that apparently Kelly is the only coach in the country that considers it a mortal sin if a RB cannot pass block at a NFL level. It is his first criteria for a RB to get into the game. I can only imagine what the 2018 season would've looked like if Dexter hadn't finally learned to pass block.

"hE aVeRages 7 yarDs pEr CarRy iN hiS caReeR bUT hE doEsn't pAss bLock likE roDgeR cRaIg yet. BAhhhh, hE doesn'T sEE tHe fiElD uNtiL thAT geTS shORed uP aUtRy. NoTHing caN saBoTaGe mY 2008 passinG scHemE, eSPecIallL noT sOmE pEsKY eXpLoSiVe rUnninG baCK"

Also, if as I post this, Armstrong is not lifting weights with the WR group....I don't even know what to say. Hopefully even Kelly is smart enough to stop trying to pound that square peg into the round hole. Not sure how many negative three yard runs he needs to see out of Armstrong before he switches him back to WR. Especially considering the WR cupboard isn't exactly stocked any fuller than the RB cupboard and Armstrong could arguably be the best WR on the roster now that Claypool is gone (kEYs is A wAterBuG and rEAlLy fASt. aUStiN iS gOnNA sTarT. LeNzy isn'T jUsT spEeD guY.)

So much work to be done around here.

For someone who "doesn't even know what to say," you seem to have a lot to say. As someone else already pointed out before you posted, BK and the staff have repeatedly produced solid to very good RB's. Not concerned.

Kyren/Tyree is the only real option. All the rest are practice squad caliber and should be asked to transfer.

This is spot on Kyren look as fluid running the ball than all the other backs and he has all the intangibles height, weight, speed. Tyree will get 10 to 15 touches a game, but Williams will be the bell cow bell back until Shipley arrives

This is spot on Kyren look as fluid running the ball than all the other backs and he has all the intangibles height, weight, speed. Tyree will get 10 to 15 touches a game, but Williams will be the bell cow bell back until Shipley arrives

Williams does not possess speed.

If he was a realistic long term primary back solution he would've certainly have received a decent amount of playing time this season--especially considering his competition for playing time.

Truth is he did nothing to significantly differentiate himself from the horde and was therefore redshirted.

There are no answers at the RB position on the current roster, it will need to be improved through recruiting moving forward and I certainly hope the staff is not planning to put all their eggs in the Shipley basket.

If he was a realistic long term primary back solution he would've certainly have received a decent amount of playing time this season--especially considering his competition for playing time.

Truth is he did nothing to significantly differentiate himself from the horde and was therefore redshirted.

There are no answers at the RB position on the current roster, it will need to be improved through recruiting moving forward and I certainly hope the staff is not planning to put all their eggs in the Shipley basket.

He can not possibly be slower than Jones can he?

Slightly faster and more shiftier version of Jones. Not as big but jones wasn’t a power runner. All about the mental side for Kyren, clearly wasn’t ready vs Louisville

"I have faith in myself," Jones told Irish Sports Daily. "I think I proved to the country that I'm a good back. I'm smart. I'm good in the pass game, I have speed and now I just need a chance."

More like the backs that Oregon usually lands. The D'Anthony Thomas, Thomas Tyner types. Not the Alabama style monster and future NFL starter.

I see what you’re saying, but Tyner was a pretty big back coming out of high school. 5’11/6’, 200 lbs., much bigger than Tyree or Anthony.

I'm expecting a rotation of Armstrong, Williams, and Tyree. Pretty excited about that. C'Bo and Smith provide depth and I expect one of them to transfer.

Lol.

Hes not elite but hes faster than jones who was plenty effective. Hes also extremely quick footed.

I see what you’re saying, but Tyner was a pretty big back coming out of high school. 5’11/6’, 200 lbs., much bigger than Tyree or Anthony.

That's true. Tyner was actually bigger than I thought he was. Thanks for the correction.

The guy I should have compared him to along with Thomas from Oregon is LaMichael James. He's 5'9, 195lbs in the NFL. He was probably 175lbs coming out of high school.

Reactions: notredamerises23
LeMichael James was a small workhorse, if Tyree can replicate his career we are in for a good time

Tyree is pretty well built even though he is small, I just don’t see him as a workhorse now or ever.

That's true. Tyner was actually bigger than I thought he was. Thanks for the correction.

The guy I should have compared him to along with Thomas from Oregon is LaMichael James. He's 5'9, 195lbs in the NFL. He was probably 175lbs coming out of high school.

Tyree is pretty well built even though he is small, I just don’t see him as a workhorse now or ever.

Depends how yo classify workhorse I suppose. If he averages 15 touches a game next year I would say that’s well on its way for the type of back he is. He will never be a 45 carries between the tackles Ron Dayne.

If you look at Lemichael James usage as a freshman there is no reason to think Tyree couldn’t put in the same work given how toned down the physicality of the game has become.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT