ADVERTISEMENT

What to do at rb if jones doesnt return

mirer03

Posts Like A Champion
Sep 2, 2006
Sbnation has a report indicating it ooksl like jones wont return. Is anyone else very concerned about a rb room led by jafar? I know he was hurt (again) but i just dont see him as an rb 1. Who knows what we have in Smith, maybe a short yardage guy. Cbo... cbo is scout team talent with a big heart, i iust never see him as more than a 2 yard per carry guy. Can kyren williams make a jump in year 2? I know tyree will get a few looks but hes not a bell cow.

Thoughts?

Sbnation has a report indicating it ooksl like jones wont return. Is anyone else very concerned about a rb room led by jafar? I know he was hurt (again) but i just dont see him as an rb 1. Who knows what we have in Smith, maybe a short yardage guy. Cbo... cbo is scout team talent with a big heart, i iust never see him as more than a 2 yard per carry guy. Can kyren williams make a jump in year 2? I know tyree will get a few looks but hes not a bell cow.

Thoughts?
Just move on without him!

Say hello to Tyree!!!

I don’t blame Jones for leaving. RB has the shortest career lifespan in football. One less year of wear and tear.

Last edited:
Jones stayed healthy and was dependable within the offense, good luck to him. I thought C'bo ran well in the bowl game. Jafar can't be counted on. I would like to see Lenzy line up at RB 5-7 times per game. Don't know enough about KW but we need development and production from him. Hopefully Tyree is as advertised and we get him in the mix early.

I’m concerned with rbs even if jones does return. They made the oline look wayyyy worse than it actually was.
Need tyree to bring a spark but he’s not the every down physical back. You have to hope the light turns on physically and mentally for Jahmir, Armstrong, or Kyren. Cbo has no business getting snaps at this level.

Yes... The other guys have to be ready to step up.

Anyone that thinks 185lb Chris Tyree is going to carry the ball 15+ times per game as a freshman, has another thing coming. It will be by committee with Jones Jr leaving. They badly need Jafar to stay healthy and continue the history of Brian Kelly backs stepping up and having productive senior seasons. If not Jafar, C'Bo or Jahmir.

Last edited:
Oh no! Oh no! Whatta we do??!!! Whatta we do??!!!

If the ND coaching staff cannot take Tyree, Smith, CBo, and Williams and replicate and improve the production that Jones generated out of the position next year.... I'm not even sure what could be said.

We are talking about replacing an average at best RB against a schedule next year that will feature one good defense and an elite defense.

We are bringing in a five star RB that is considered the fastest player in the country. If the staff cannot find ways to put him in position to be successful 8-12 times per game...I'm not even sure what could be said.

Most on this board purport that Kelly is a great coach and ND is an elite program on the rise and yet now we have a thread laced with hand wringing about replacing Tony Jones?

People on this board cannot continue to have it both ways.

Either Kelly is an elite coach and ND is an elite and upcoming program and replacing players is not an issue (especially average ones) and ND simply reloads under Kelly....or....

ND is only a top 15ish program and Kelly is an average coach at best, and yes, so replacing an average RB like Jones is a huge deal because the position has been ignored in recruiting until this past year by yet another subpar coach that was allowed to hang around and stick on the staff by Kelly for far too long.

And yes, it is a concern that Tyree is only a freshman because Kelly has rarely, if ever, shown the ability to put talented young offensive skill position players in a position to be successful early in their careers. And his mundane and stale offense has no wrinkles or creativity incorporated into the scheme besides a flanker end around.

Also, another cause for concern, that apparently Kelly is the only coach in the country that considers it a mortal sin if a RB cannot pass block at a NFL level. It is his first criteria for a RB to get into the game. I can only imagine what the 2018 season would've looked like if Dexter hadn't finally learned to pass block.

"hE aVeRages 7 yarDs pEr CarRy iN hiS caReeR bUT hE doEsn't pAss bLock likE roDgeR cRaIg yet. BAhhhh, hE doesn'T sEE tHe fiElD uNtiL thAT geTS shORed uP aUtRy. NoTHing caN saBoTaGe mY 2008 passinG scHemE, eSPecIallL noT sOmE pEsKY eXpLoSiVe rUnninG baCK"

Also, if as I post this, Armstrong is not lifting weights with the WR group....I don't even know what to say. Hopefully even Kelly is smart enough to stop trying to pound that square peg into the round hole. Not sure how many negative three yard runs he needs to see out of Armstrong before he switches him back to WR. Especially considering the WR cupboard isn't exactly stocked any fuller than the RB cupboard and Armstrong could arguably be the best WR on the roster now that Claypool is gone (kEYs is A wAterBuG and rEAlLy fASt. aUStiN iS gOnNA sTarT. LeNzy isn'T jUsT spEeD guY.)

So much work to be done around here.

Reactions: amazingreis

Anyone that thinks 185lb Chris Tyree is going to carry the ball 15+ times per game as a freshman, has another thing coming. It will be by committee with Jones Jr leaving. They badly need Jafar to stay healthy and continue the history of Brian Kelly backs stepping up and having productive senior seasons. If not Jafar, C'Bo or Jahmir.
I cant see tyree tyree getting more than 6-7 carries a game plus kick returns.

Jafar and cbo simply cant break a single tackle and who knows about jahmir.

Hoping Kyren really surprises.

I cant see tyree tyree getting more than 6-7 carries a game plus kick returns.

Jafar and cbo simply cant break a single tackle and who knows about jahmir.

Hoping Kyren really surprises.

Exactly. Tyree is not like the freshman backs they get at Alabama. 6'1, 220lb freak shows built like college juniors walking in the door. He's a 5-9, 180-185lb change of pace back that you get involved in the running game, passing game and return game. Maybe by his junior year he'll be able to carry the extent of the load in a Bryce Love type of way, but to expect that out him as a freshman would be crazy. He'd take a pounding and wouldn't make it through the season.

The guy that looks like the most natural running back to me when healthy is Jahmir. He runs with the vision and the pad level of a running back. He's a lot like Tony Jones, with bit more speed and I think he could progress similarly throughout his career if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Don’t forget kyren.... there’s a reason he was quick off the bench in the season opener vs Louisville. Coaches clearly saw something physically. He just clearly wasn’t mentally ready hence them deciding to redshirt as they weren’t going to trust him after his mental mistakes vs Louisville.

if there is one nuance of 5he offense that needs work, it’s the dedication to a more power type run game. Instead of the east / west type hand offs, I would rather see power sweeps with pulling guards and tight ends leading the way. It’s an attune you have to develop. “ Look out, because we are coming ! “ ND has the personnel to make it work.

Thoughts?
First, I hope TJJ has a change of heart over the next few days, but if he doesn't, I agree with IIO that someone will emerge in 2020. Here's the position as I see it.

Jafar - Has the physical tools to be a very good RB but doesn't have the instincts and goes down too easily considering his size. He needs to learn to run with high aggressiveness and use his blockers more effectively. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he can do it but I hope he proves me wrong.

Jahmir - Runs with aggressiveness and has a good feel for the position. He's not a TJJ clone but I think his RB development might have a similar path. I see him as likely being a complimentary number 2 back rather than a feature back.

Kyren - Has a really good chance to start to excel at the position in 2020. BK has a history of not wanting to rush freshman RBs so his redshirt year shouldn't have been a surprise. In fact, it was disclosed that the decision to redshirt was as much Kyren's decision as it was BK's. He appears to be a natural runner and a good receiver out of the backfield and I expect him to make some noise in 2020 and could emerge as the top back.

C'bo - Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the coaches are high on him. He was getting carries ahead of Jafar against BC and Stanford. Initially, his biggest issue was pass pro but BK has since stated his number one issue is he needs to get stronger. I think he definitely needs to work on his strength, but mostly he needs to work on his patience so that he can see the running lanes develop. If he is able to do both of those things I think he'll be right in the mix as a potential starter.

Tyree
- I think he's too small to be a feature back in 2020 but he should make some noise in the limited opportunities he is given. If it turns out he's too explosive to keep him on the sidelines that will be a great problem to have.

Avery - Great physical tools but has never shown any RB instincts. I would love to see a light bulb finally go on but I wouldn't bank on it.

I think Jafar, Kyren, or C'bo will have the best chance to be the No. 1 back next year with Jahmir having an outside chance. Whoever it is will need an OL that is much improved at run blocking in order to have rushing numbers worth bragging about.

Tyree needs to eat 4500 calories a day and spend 6 days per week in the weight room. No reason he can’t put on 25 lbs from now until September.

I could put on 25 lbs in a month if I tried.

Reactions: Irish Duck
Tyree needs to eat 4500 calories a day and spend 6 days per week in the weight room. No reason he can’t put on 25 lbs from now until September.

I hope this supposed to be sarcastic. A lean, 5'9 skilled position athlete putting on 25lbs in 9 months lol?...

I spent years in a college weight room. I still lift constantly in the military. Even a genetic freak cannot expect to add more than 1-2 lbs of lean muscle per month, if they're going all out to get bigger and stronger and sleeping and supplementing to perfection. Beyond that you're just getting fatter and less athletic.

If Tyree gained 6-8lbs of lean muscle between now and September and played at close to 190lbs next year, that would be a superb off season for an 18 year old 5'9 running back. The last thing you want to do is pack 20 garbage pounds on him in 9 months and strip his elite speed away from him.

ND's defensive ends that are all 6'3+ pack on about 10lbs of lean muscle per year in a full 12 months with Matt Balis. You want a 5'9 tailback to pack on 25lbs?

Thoughts?
I hope he has a job offer lined up.

My worst call in a long time was saying that Jafar was going to be a game changer at RB.

He is NOT a RB, he needs to be moved to the Slot Receiver position. He has been an absolute bust at RB, he can’t break a tackle to save his life, doesn’t read blocks well at all.

Cbo definitely runs much harder than Jafar. I was extremely disappointed in his play this season.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
I hope this supposed to be sarcastic. A lean, 5'9 skilled position athlete putting on 25lbs in 9 months lol?...

I spent years in a college weight room. I still lift constantly in the military. Even a genetic freak cannot expect to add more than 1-2 lbs of lean muscle per month, if they're going all out to get bigger and stronger and sleeping and supplementing to perfection. Beyond that you're just getting fatter and less athletic.

If Tyree gained 6-8lbs of lean muscle between now and September and played at close to 190lbs next year, that would be a superb off season for an 18 year old 5'9 running back. The last thing you want to do is pack 20 garbage pounds on him in 9 months and strip his elite speed away from him.

ND's defensive ends that are all 6'3+ pack on about 10lbs of lean muscle per year in a full 12 months with Matt Balis. You want a 5'9 tailback to pack on 25lbs?
Like the post. But if I recall we’ve had several guys add on a lot more than 10 per year. KLM comes to mind and I believe he was only 230 in HS and left at 310. I would think individual genetics plays as big or bigger role than just diet and weights.

My worst call in a long time was saying that Jafar was going to be a game changer at RB.

He is NOT a RB, he needs to be moved to the Slot Receiver position. He has been an absolute bust at RB, he can’t break a tackle to save his life, doesn’t read blocks well at all.

Cbo definitely runs much harder than Jafar. I was extremely disappointed in his play this season.
me too but i think the injuries were a huge factor. looked rusty all year.

I suppose you’re right that it would be very tough to add 20 lbs if you’re going with purely lean mass. I have been lifting 5-6 days per week for about 10 years and I’ve actually lost 10 lbs. I’ve probably added 20lbs of muscle and lost 30 lbs of fat in 10 years. However, I could add that 10 lbs of fat back in 2 months and it would improve my strength. Would it kill speed? I don’t know. I think it depends on his current body fat/muscle mass. If he’s incredibly lean and underdeveloped in muscle, he could certainly add 10-15 lbs of muscle in 9 months as long as he’s willing to deal with a bit of body fat. Personally I’d like to see him bulk up to around 20-25% body fat while massively increasing his weight room gains and then trim down with conditioning during preseason to end up around 195. I’ve used this strategy before in the off season as a wrestler and I was able to maintain my 1 rep max while cutting weight. It is possible with proper training. I’ve seen mma fighters move up and down in weight classes in a similar way.

That said. It’s pretty amazing what a developing body can do with a lot of dedication, creatine, the right amino acid profile, nutrition, loads of whey, and tons of sleep.

Last edited:
Like the post. But if I recall we’ve had several guys add on a lot more than 10 per year. KLM comes to mind and I believe he was only 230 in HS and left at 310. I would think individual genetics plays as big or bigger role than just diet and weights.

He was a 6'4 defensive lineman, who added a lot of fat with that muscle to bulk up in order to play in a 3-4 defense. You can add 20lbs on a big slow defensive lineman whose job it is to anchor. A lot of it will be fat though. That's just a reality. I would say the majority of big lineman will be in the 1.5-2lb of lean muscle per month range because of the size of their frame. A track star running back, with a slight 5'9 frame is totally different.

First, I hope TJJ has a change of heart over the next few days, but if he doesn't, I agree with IIO that someone will emerge in 2020. Here's the position as I see it.

Jafar - Has the physical tools to be a very good RB but doesn't have the instincts and goes down too easily considering his size. He needs to learn to run with high aggressiveness and use his blockers more effectively. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he can do it but I hope he proves me wrong.

Jahmir - Runs with aggressiveness and has a good feel for the position. He's not a TJJ clone but I think his RB development might have a similar path. I see him as likely being a complimentary number 2 back rather than a feature back.

Kyren - Has a really good chance to start to excel at the position in 2020. BK has a history of not wanting to rush freshman RBs so his redshirt year shouldn't have been a surprise. In fact, it was disclosed that the decision to redshirt was as much Kyren's decision as it was BK's. He appears to be a natural runner and a good receiver out of the backfield and I expect him to make some noise in 2020 and could emerge as the top back.

C'bo - Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the coaches are high on him. He was getting carries ahead of Jafar against BC and Stanford. Initially, his biggest issue was pass pro but BK has since stated his number one issue is he needs to get stronger. I think he definitely needs to work on his strength, but mostly he needs to work on his patience so that he can see the running lanes develop. If he is able to do both of those things I think he'll be right in the mix as a potential starter.

Tyree
- I think he's too small to be a feature back in 2020 but he should make some noise in the limited opportunities he is given. If it turns out he's too explosive to keep him on the sidelines that will be a great problem to have.

Avery - Great physical tools but has never shown any RB instincts. I would love to see a light bulb finally go on but I wouldn't bank on it.

I think Jafar, Kyren, or C'bo will have the best chance to be the No. 1 back next year with Jahmir having an outside chance. Whoever it is will need an OL that is much improved at run blocking in order to have rushing numbers worth bragging about.

Kyren/Tyree is the only real option. All the rest are practice squad caliber and should be asked to transfer.

I suppose you’re right that it would be very tough to add 20 lbs if you’re going with purely lean mass. I have been lifting 5-6 days per week for about 10 years and I’ve actually lost 10 lbs. I’ve probably added 20lbs of muscle and lost 30 lbs of fat in 10 years. However, I could add that 10 lbs of fat back in 2 months and it would improve my strength. Would it kill speed? I don’t know. I think it depends on his current body fat/muscle mass. If he’s incredibly lean and underdeveloped in muscle, he could certainly add 10-15 lbs of muscle in 9 months as long as he’s willing to deal with a bit of body fat. Personally I’d like to see him bulk up to around 20-25% body fat while massively increasing his weight room gains and then trim down with conditioning during preseason to end up around 195. I’ve used this strategy before in the off season as a wrestler and I was able to maintain my 1 rep max while cutting weight. It is possible with proper training. I’ve seen mma fighters move up and down in weight classes in a similar way.

That said. It’s pretty amazing what a developing body can do with a lot of dedication, creatine, the right amino acid profile, nutrition, loads of whey, and tons of sleep.

I've definitely seen some freak genetic outliers, but the majority of the guys have the height and frame size to hold that lean muscle. Guys like Chase Claypool, Jaylon Smith, Kyle Hamilton and JOK have the limb length to add add 12-15lbs (5-6lbs of that as fat) and not be hindered by it. I'd be much more careful in how much weight you add to 5'9 Chris Tyree. I've seen soooooo many short explosive backs try to get up in that 210lb range and lose all their elite burst some can do it... Most cannot. If they do? They do it slowly over 3-4 years.

Frame wise, the perfect comparison for Chris Tyree is Bryce Love. They're both 5'9 and appear to have essentially the same frame. Love went to the NFL combine at 200lbs, 20lbs heavier than he wants went he got to college at 180lbs, the same weight Tyree is now. He gained about 5lbs of lean muscle per year, over 4 years... Definitely not in a single off season. I would expect Tyree to do the same.

A guy like J.K. Dobbins is a different story. He came out of high school at 208lbs (listed). 3 years later Ohio State lists him at 217lbs. So he was basically ready to play walking in the door and hasn't gained much since. Just a couple pounds of muscle every year.

I see Tyree is the fastest player in the country, but his game film really does not dictate that. Frankly I do not see him as a 5 star player. Interestingly enough, none of the recruiting services have him as a 5 star, but he is a composite 5 star.

He only carried the ball 7x a game his senior season, He’s undersized, and kelly is not known for playing young talent. Just don’t see him making a big impact next year

I see Tyree is the fastest player in the country, but his game film really does not dictate that. Frankly I do not see him as a 5 star player. Interestingly enough, none of the recruiting services have him as a 5 star, but he is a composite 5 star.

He only carried the ball 7x a game his senior season, He’s undersized, and kelly is not known for playing young talent. Just don’t see him making a big impact next year
Tyree had a high ankle sprain in Sept that hampered him all year. It shouldn't be an issue moving forward but it is the reason his production was down.

Reactions: notredamerises23

Very interesting and true post. People fail to understand that you could take a pure beginner bodybuilder style lifter, with the goal to pack on as most muscle as possible. In a year if the lifter has freak genetics, and is let’s say 16-22, he can MAYBE put on 8 pounds of pure muscle in a year if he pushes extremely hard and eats big.

Now if you’re unnatural and a beginner and train your ass off with amazing genetics you could put on 25 pounds of pure muscle in a year. I’ve seen it and it’s freaky

Tyree had a high ankle sprain in Sept that hampered him all year. It shouldn't be an issue moving forward but it is the reason his production was down.
Yeah, durability is a big question. When I think of a 5* running back Derrick Henry type talent comes to mind and I just don’t see that from tyree

Tyree just got best head-to-head in the sprint finals of the All American game practice by a stud receiver from Lakeland, Florida. It was close but the kid he was up against can absolutely fly. Chris put up a great fight though.

Yeah, durability is a big question. When I think of a 5* running back Derrick Henry type talent comes to mind and I just don’t see that from tyree

More like the backs that Oregon usually lands. The D'Anthony Thomas, Thomas Tyner types. Not the Alabama style monster and future NFL starter.

I wonder about Jones' future. If breakaway backs like Dexter, Josh, etc. couldn't really make a splash in the NFL... how does TJ expect to do it?

Still, I believe we all agree he was the most complete back of the Kelly era... Pass catching, blocking... running.

Ian might miss him more than Claypool next year!

Tyree just got best head-to-head in the sprint finals of the All American game practice by a stud receiver from Lakeland, Florida. It was close but the kid he was up against can absolutely fly. Chris put up a great fight though.
Who was it

Exactly. Tyree is not like the freshman backs they get at Alabama. 6'1, 220lb freak shows built like college juniors walking in the door. He's a 5-9, 180-185lb change of pace back that you get involved in the running game, passing game and return game. Maybe by his junior year he'll be able to carry the extent of the load in a Bryce Love type of way, but to expect that out him as a freshman would be crazy. He'd take a pounding and wouldn't make it through the season.

The guy that looks like the most natural running back to me when healthy is Jahmir. He runs with the vision and the pad level of a running back. He's a lot like Tony Jones, with bit more speed and I think he could progress similarly throughout his career if he can stay healthy.
Tyree is a lot more like Travis Etienne

I've definitely seen some freak genetic outliers, but the majority of the guys have the height and frame size to hold that lean muscle. Guys like Chase Claypool, Jaylon Smith, Kyle Hamilton and JOK have the limb length to add add 12-15lbs (5-6lbs of that as fat) and not be hindered by it. I'd be much more careful in how much weight you add to 5'9 Chris Tyree. I've seen soooooo many short explosive backs try to get up in that 210lb range and lose all their elite burst some can do it... Most cannot. If they do? They do it slowly over 3-4 years.

Frame wise, the perfect comparison for Chris Tyree is Bryce Love. They're both 5'9 and appear to have essentially the same frame. Love went to the NFL combine at 200lbs, 20lbs heavier than he wants went he got to college at 180lbs, the same weight Tyree is now. He gained about 5lbs of lean muscle per year, over 4 years... Definitely not in a single off season. I would expect Tyree to do the same.

A guy like J.K. Dobbins is a different story. He came out of high school at 208lbs (listed). 3 years later Ohio State lists him at 217lbs. So he was basically ready to play walking in the door and hasn't gained much since. Just a couple pounds of muscle every year.

I feel like you are describing Armando Allen and you are scaring the sheet out of me.

Man do I feel it’s a mistake not trying to add another elite back this class.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT