ADVERTISEMENT

What did the Falcons

Izo

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 1, 2008
Do wrong in the second half ? What did they change ? Took the foot off the pedal and played conservatively ? Julio Jones one of the best receivers disappeared in the 2nd half.

Experienced quarterback like Ryan should never have taken that sack putting Atlanta out of field goal range

Do wrong in the second half ? What did they change ? Took the foot off the pedal and played conservatively ? Julio Jones one of the best receivers disappeared in the 2nd half.

Experienced quarterback like Ryan should never have taken that sack putting Atlanta out of field goal range
It was Brady just being Brady.
Nothing more... Nothing less

Reactions: Quest4Twelve

Ryan sucks - human stiff who takes sacks and fumbles games away. Nice choke job!

did the same thing Notre Dame does goes into survival mode way too early! we don't want to hurt anyones feelings by running up the score a bit!
Did you even watch the game? They lost because their stupid offensive coordinator didn't go into survival mode. 3 minutes to go, already in FG range and thus idiot is passing the ball? How stupid is that? A FG their and Atlanta wins.

Third and one and you try a pass in field goal range? It was beyond stupid. Even if you don't make the first down they burn another time out. You make the field goal you are up two scores with under three minutes to go. Total choke job by the coaching staff.

Some key plays:
Freeman misses block on Hightower leads to sack fumble, short field touchdown
Two important holding calls on Jake Matthews
The sack at the NE 22 yard line with 3 minutes to play after Julio's amazing catch

In general, in the last 20 minutes they just kept sending the defense out there time after time, and they ran out of gas. The front four was dominating the Pats o-line for the first 2 1/2 quarters, making Brady very uncomfortable. But with no rest after the middle of the third quarter they couldn't muster any pressure in the last few NE possessions. With that, Brady could pick them apart. It was very much deja vu to the end of the CFB Championship game when Bama's defense was totally out of gas because their offense couldn't stay on the field..

Kyle Shanahan had a great season, but he will forever be second guessed with the play calling after the pass to Julio in the 4th quarter. I was yelling at the TV, just run the ball three times, get what you can get, kick the FG to go up two scores inside three minutes. Matt Bryant is pretty much automatic at that range. They pass on 2nd down, get the sack for like a 12 yard loss, then they get the holding penalty for another 10 yard loss, incompletion on the 3rd and 33 play, and now they have to punt. That was the key moment of the game, as far as how the game was lost.

They got the ball in field goal position and the Pats made some plays. I guess the one thing to be critical about is they didn't target Julio another 10 times in the second half. The Pats had no shot of stopping him.

They got the ball in field goal position and the Pats made some plays. I guess the one thing to be critical about is they didn't target Julio another 10 times in the second half. The Pats had no shot of stopping him.
You could see on replays that Julio was doubled on several plays, and they generally don't force the ball to him if that is the case. Julio had four games this season where he caught less than five passes for less than 50 yards, and the Falcons were 4-0 and averaged 37 points in those games.

Pretty dam simple - 21 yard line. Run the ball twice, even if you lose a yard on both, a pro will make that kick 97 times out of 100. You made the Patriots burn two TOs and the guy in Vegas who bet a million dollars on the Falcons is able to stop dry heaving. Instead you take a bad sack, followed by a holding penalty and the OC gets what he deserves - the 49ers job.

Last edited:
You could see on replays that Julio was doubled on several plays, and they generally don't force the ball to him if that is the case. Julio had four games this season where he caught less than five passes for less than 50 yards, and the Falcons were 4-0 and averaged 37 points in those games.

The fact is they lost. They targeted him 4 times and he caught all 4, averaging 22 yards a catch. I'd throw him the ball more, but to each his own.

Two things ... the one that was mentioned about passing in FG range instead of icing the game was an OC getting too clever (sound familiar Seahawks fans?). The other big change is to handle heavy pressure on Brady the Pats killed Atlanta with short passes ... a few other thoughts
1) Atlanta offense scored 2 TDs in first half and 1 in second half ... they didn't exactly kill it
2) penalties killed falcons D
3) dropped int on last drive which would have ended the game

Reactions: RowTheBoatND
It's a good thing Shanahan is leaving, because his last 3 minutes in Atlanta were atrocious. If he wasn't leaving, he'd be fired if I was running the falcons. Giving full credit to the Pats for capitalizing on Shanahan's stupidity, but the play calling at the end was embarrassing, and cost them the Super Bowl.

It's a good thing Shanahan is leaving, because his last 3 minutes in Atlanta were atrocious. If he wasn't leaving, he'd be fired if I was running the falcons. Giving full credit to the Pats for capitalizing on Shanahan's stupidity, but the play calling at the end was embarrassing, and cost them the Super Bowl.
I think you have to blame Ryan for allowing himself to take the sack . You have to throw the ball away or at someone feet in that situation

Pretty dam simple - 21 yard line. Run the ball twice, even if you lose a yard on both, a pro will make that kick 97 times out of 100. You made the Patriots burn two TOs and the guy in Vegas who bet a million dollars on the Falcons is able to stop dry heaving. Instead you take a bad sack, followed by a holding penalty and the OC gets what he deserves - the 49ers job.
Exactly! A FG makes it a two score difference, and game over. Really bad decisions by Shanahan, the HC in waiting for the 49ers.

It was Brady just being Brady.
Nothing more... Nothing less
You obviously didn't watch the game too closely. The Falcons had the game locked up if their coaches knew anything about game management. At least give Matt Bryant a shot at getting it to 31-20 after Julio converted a third down at the 22 w/ 4 minutes left. NE would've needed to win an on-side kick to even have a chance. Falcons simply gifted that game away, Brian Kelly style.

Reactions: NIN Irish
Well said. I'm still scratching my head at the calls Shamahan made.

Well Shanahan is this years offense assistant coach of the year, and a genius according to all the professional football pundits; although not sure Redskins fans would agree, and some Falcons fans must be wondering. Assuming Shanahan gets the 49er HC job as widely expected, and given his game management in the fourth qtr of the Super Bowl, there is renewed optimism for those hoping Kelly exits to the NFL sooner than later.

You obviously didn't watch the game too closely. The Falcons had the game locked up if their coaches knew anything about game management. At least give Matt Bryant a shot at getting it to 31-20 after Julio converted a third down at the 22 w/ 4 minutes left. NE would've needed to win an on-side kick to even have a chance. Falcons simply gifted that game away, Brian Kelly style.
To be honest I only lwatch the last two minutes. My wife called me in because she's a big Brady fan to see the comeback. I not a huge NFL fan any more though I am a Jag season ticket holder living in Nebraska if that makes any sense, but even if Atlanta tried to eat as much clock as they can Brady still would of found a way to win..... Possibly.

Well Shanahan is this years offense assistant coach of the year, and a genius according to all the professional football pundits; although not sure Redskins fans would agree, and some Falcons fans must be wondering. Assuming Shanahan gets the 49er HC job as widely expected, and given his game management in the fourth qtr of the Super Bowl, there is renewed optimism for those hoping Kelly exits to the NFL sooner than later.

As you've stated backhandedlyy he did little for the Skins.
Some people are just excellent coordinator, and that's the best I'll ever be

Niner fans gave up on a losing SB coach too early before. Mr Khaki Pants. They will welcome Shan with open arms. Kelly will never be hired by the NFL and after another 4-8 season by a Power 5 team either.

It's called in-game adjustments. The Pats do it better than anyone in the game.

They did not run Freeman enough. It's 3rd and 1 at your 28 yard line. Instead of running play action before you pass, you drop straight back get sacked and fumbled. Momentum and pressure shifted on that play. They should have run Freeman even if you didnt gain yardage needed and punted.

Atl went to the prevent you from winning defense which was NE strength using under routes and flat passes which negated the pass rush.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT