ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 playoff picks

Dec 29, 2005
First how I think the rankings would look..

1. Oregon 2. UGA 3. Miami 4. ISU 5. PSU 6. Texas 7. OSU 8. UT 9. IU 10. ND 11. BYU 12. BSU

How I project the final ranking (probably will be way off)

1. UGA 2. OSU 3. Clemson 4. KSU 5. Oregon 6. A&M 7. PSU 8. ND 9. IU 10. Bama 11. Miami 12 BSU

The SEC really does feast on each other this season, most of the best 4-6 teams face several of the conferences top opponents.

The B1G conversely does not. OSU played/plays Oregon, PSU, IU, but IU only faces OSU, while avoiding PSU/Oregon, PSU faces only OSU, while avoiding IU/Oregon, the B1G could very possibly have four teams with 11-1/12-0 records going into the B1G conference championship game.

In the ACC, Clemson and Miami don’t matchup in the regular season though I expect them to meet in the conference championship game. Clemson has UL at home and @ Pitt. Miami would literally blow it to not finish 12-0. The sleeper could be Pitt if they can find a way to beat SMU, Clemson, and UL.

The big 12 is horrible too. KSU has just one ranked team on their schedule (ISU), while ISU only has (KSU) on theirs. BYU won’t face a ranked team the rest of the way until the conference championship game. The Big12 could have three teams with one loss after the conference championship game too.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
If we run the table I think we get to 6. It would be nice to draw a G5 or the ACC/Big12 qualifier then draw Big 12 or ACC champ in the quarters.

I think Clemson wins the ACC. SMU is a possibility to make the title game.

I may need to look up the tie breakers for the conferences. It’s a joke that there are so many teams in a conference with no divisions. Almost as much of a joke as the ACC and SEC only playing eight conference games.

I may need to look up the tie breakers for the conferences. It’s a joke that there are so many teams in a conference with no divisions. Almost as much of a joke as the ACC and SEC only playing eight conference games.
At least for the SEC the top 6 teams play at least 2-4 of the other top teams it seems unlike the other three conferences.

I’m sorry but I am under no illusions that BYU, KSU, ISU, Indiana, and PSU go through a schedule like that with only one loss.

Pitt vs SMU next week will be a playoff/ACC Champ game eliminator.
If Pitt wins then their game against Clemson becomes the next playoff game. Miami has a pretty easy path. If Pitt Runs the table or Clemson i could see them losing to Miami in champ game and drawing the 11th seed.

At least for the SEC the top 6 teams play at least 2-4 of the other top teams it seems unlike the other three conferences.

I’m sorry but I am under no illusions that BYU, KSU, ISU, Indiana, and PSU go through a schedule like that with only one loss.
I wasn’t getting into the value of the teams or conferences. I just think it’s stupid to have 16-18 teams and no where close to a round robin and they don’t have divisions to put a divisional winner into the championship. They’re going to have to use tie breakers at some point.

Then they don’t want to play nine conference games for fear of hurting their playoff chances even though it only makes sense.

I wish the NCAA would mandate nine conference games. The SEC and ACC have an advantage in getting in more teams to the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT