ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 odds out in Vegas. Notre Dame favored by 7 over Michigan!

The constant bashing of harbaugh has gotten out of hand. They guy has dominated every where he has been. He has not had a qb which is a world of difference. He has had good to great qbs on all his teams except past 3 years. He gets a guy that can do what he wants then they will challenge Ohio state for playoff spot. I hate Michigan and hope Patterson is avg because if he is baseline good they will be a nightmare.

Dominated?
He is the one who is responsible for QB recruiting.
Peters was the 6th ranked QB in the country & a borderline 5 Star. So what’s the excuse there?

Dominated?
He is the one who is responsible for QB recruiting.
Peters was the 6th ranked QB in the country & a borderline 5 Star. So what’s the excuse there?
Recruiting is an inexact science. Look at all of the top 100 players on Alabama who bombed. That is why you stockpile QB's. It is all statistical and your number one choice may not turn out. Harbaugh is attempting to bring in a QB every year. That all said our twitter centric, self gratifying society presumes greatness now. The reality is Jason Peters was a 2nd year player on a very young offense. In a perfect world there would have been a couple more options with more experience. Its pretty amazing that we judge these young players as if every single one of them came from academy football and should be a polished product.

Recruiting is an inexact science. Look at all of the top 100 players on Alabama who bombed. That is why you stockpile QB's. It is all statistical and your number one choice may not turn out. Harbaugh is attempting to bring in a QB every year. That all said our twitter centric, self gratifying society presumes greatness now. The reality is Jason Peters was a 2nd year player on a very young offense. In a perfect world there would have been a couple more options with more experience. Its pretty amazing that we judge these young players as if every single one of them came from academy football and should be a polished product.

My point was that the other poster was making an excuse for Harbaugh “not having a decent QB the last 3 years.” That’s Harbaugh’s fault, is it not? He is the QB. He is the QB coach. He is the QB recruiter. The big thing promoted about him was he is the QB whisperer. In year 3 he had a historically bad year at QB for Michigan. That can’t happen in year 3. Brian Kelly took a Freshman QB & a 2 Star QB nobody wanted to 12-0 & the Title game. But he is some kind of QB idiot according to many in here...

Reactions: Maxgalt12
Off topic a little just didn’t want to start a post. Whose the better coach pete carrol or saban? I will take Pete’s best usc team all day over any of sabans squads before we get into saban has titles but Pete has sb ring and 2 sb appearances etc.

South Point in Vegas just released season win totals today for the upcoming college football season and Notre Dame is at 9.5. Some other notable numbers:

Alabama at 11
Clemson at 11
Michigan AND at Michigan State both at 9
Ohio State at 10.5
Washington 10.5

Complete List

Off topic a little just didn’t want to start a post. Whose the better coach pete carrol or saban? I will take Pete’s best usc team all day over any of sabans squads before we get into saban has titles but Pete has sb ring and 2 sb appearances etc.

Belichek

My point was that the other poster was making an excuse for Harbaugh “not having a decent QB the last 3 years.” That’s Harbaugh’s fault, is it not? He is the QB. He is the QB coach. He is the QB recruiter. The big thing promoted about him was he is the QB whisperer. In year 3 he had a historically bad year at QB for Michigan. That can’t happen in year 3. Brian Kelly took a Freshman QB & a 2 Star QB nobody wanted to 12-0 & the Title game. But he is some kind of QB idiot according to many in here...
I have no comment on Kelly's job of picking QB's. Don't know them well enough. All I will say is I saw Michigan go 11-2 with Brady Hoke completely misusing Denard Robinson. You have to be very careful equating team success to QB success. ND was 80th in points scored in 2012 with Gholston clocking a 131 QB rating and 12 TD's. ND did not win because of a dynamic QB. They won because they had a great defense.

I am going back to the narrative of QB's and QB whispers. The QB he recruited is just going into his 3rd year. Harbaugh has had to deal with either Hoke's picks or QB transfers. To Hoke's picks. Prior to Wilton Speight Al Borges had a notorious record which was no QB recruited by him has ever started a Div I game as QB. This is why I was outraged by UM hiring Hoke in 2010. Actually I lied. Shane Morris started one game which is why Al Borges is a terrible recruiter. Suffice to say, Jim Harbaughs in house choices ranged from awful to tire fires.

The alternative are transfers. The problem with transfers is if they are successful where they are unless they are grad transfer looking to build their NFL stock they are damaged goods. If you are bringing in a transfer you are rolling the dice. Again the problem with Harbaugh is he had too much early success. Everyone was saying 7-5 would be lucky in 2015. Everyone assumed that O'Korn was going to win the starting job in 2016 because they knew what Speight was. Then UM won their first nine games. Unfortunately Speight came back down to earth and everyone learned why O'Korn did not win the starting job.

So that leaves it to the most experienced recruit who was Brandon Peters. There is a reason why good coaches recruit a QB every year. Recruiting is an inexact science. Now judging a 2nd year, especially a QB is pretty harsh. That said Brandon may or may not turn out. But that is the failure of Hoke's recruiting. Until Harbaugh has a roster that is all his I believe it is hard to judge him because until then he is ultimately working with someone else's players.

This is not a situation where the previous coach was a great recruiter but a crummy coach like a Weis or Zook. The UM defense was in somewhat better shape. But the offense has been a duct tape and bubble gum affair. Harbaugh's coaching staff is not completely blameless as they failed to recruit an impact tackle for the 2016 class. But blaming Harbaugh because he can't get great QB performances from castoffs and youngsters is a bit harsh. I am personally shocked he got what he did out of Rudock in 2015, and Speight in 2016. He just ran out of tricks in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT