ADVERTISEMENT

We will never again win a NC. Kelly is big game bust

Ski...I feel your pain. Very reminiscent of your Miami debacle posts. It’s not that we lost yet another big post season game, but how we lost. For the most part, our defense played a good game. That ten minute stretch with Love out in the second qtr killed us, but I think most of us would be talking and feeling differently if we had put 24 points on the board and showed a lot of emotion and spirit doing so. Frankly, I get sick of hearing Kelly talk about trusting the process and keeping the players from getting too high or too low. It’s the damn playoffs and we should be pulling out all stops and playing with a ton of excitement and emotion, instead we come out and play a very robotic vanilla game, on offense specifically. The bigger the stage, the more Kelly plays conservative and plays the odds, and we get run over by fired up opponents who game plan like their lives depend on it. Watching Texas and Washington et al yesterday reinforces why I love college football over pro football, and it pisses me off that I can’t say the same about our game.

Even if I could prove it was or wasn’t, what would it mean
It can’t be proven, it’s just a matter of opinion.

If you think this is the best, deepest, roster in 20 years, it kind of counters the idea that Kelly is “doing nothing” to help us close the gap on the elite teams.

Reactions: notredamerises23

If you think this is the best, deepest, roster in 20 years, it kind of counters the idea that Kelly is “doing nothing” to help us close the gap on the elite teams.

Well what’s he doing. We get embarrassed in big games

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I read threads like these and wonder if you all are really ND fans or just internet trolls.

If you have such distaste for the University, its approach to athletics over the last 20-30 years, and its current head football coach, it begs the question, why are you a fan?
Being a fan is not inconsistent with making legitimate criticism. The poster is exactly right, particularly about the QB situation. There is not one ND QB in the past 10 years that has improved under Kelly. In fact, it seems to me they have all regressed. The tight end position has also suffered. Where have they gone?? What do they contribute. And the most glaring problem: Not being ready to play in these big games.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
BK is...

a good not great recruiter
good not great developer of talent
great spokesman for the university and politician like
Good play caller when in charge not great
Bad QB development
Bad in game adjustment
Terrible big game W/L record
Good organizer of staff not great (BVG)

When you break our HC down it becomes very obvious he is mediocre and ND deserves more than mediocre. We also deserve a athletic director who puts WINNING above EVERYTHING else in order for a above average coach to win here otherwise its a spinning cycle of false expectations.

I have to admit, very very disappointed with the development of Wimbush, and how he was utilized in the CFP.

You’re disappointed that a QB who lacks recognition skills, touch and accuracy wasn’t developed into Tom Brady.

Why would you use an inferior QB in an incredibly hostile environment

How did he look against Florida State ?

12-25 with 2 interceptions!

And you thought he should have played against Clemson ?

Being a fan is not inconsistent with making legitimate criticism. The poster is exactly right, particularly about the QB situation. There is not one ND QB in the past 10 years that has improved under Kelly. In fact, it seems to me they have all regressed. The tight end position has also suffered. Where have they gone?? What do they contribute. And the most glaring problem: Not being ready to play in these big games.

KIZER certainly improved.

Unless of course you feel that the NFL was wrong and that you’re right.

Last Sunday I thought I watched Kizer quarterbacking for the Green Bay Packers

theskibro
You are one of my favorite posters but it was just a bad game though it just so happened to be on a big stage
Bummer yes I feel your pain.
2019 could be the brake through season
I hope so DIP. Happy New Year brother. Keep the faith

Ski...I feel your pain. Very reminiscent of your Miami debacle posts. It’s not that we lost yet another big post season game, but how we lost. For the most part, our defense played a good game. That ten minute stretch with Love out in the second qtr killed us, but I think most of us would be talking and feeling differently if we had put 24 points on the board and showed a lot of emotion and spirit doing so. Frankly, I get sick of hearing Kelly talk about trusting the process and keeping the players from getting too high or too low. It’s the damn playoffs and we should be pulling out all stops and playing with a ton of excitement and emotion, instead we come out and play a very robotic vanilla game, on offense specifically. The bigger the stage, the more Kelly plays conservative and plays the odds, and we get run over by fired up opponents who game plan like their lives depend on it. Watching Texas and Washington et al yesterday reinforces why I love college football over pro football, and it pisses me off that I can’t say the same about our game.
TelX
I need therapy or a drunken binge or some other distraction like good looking women in a hot fub

But that’s not gonna happen at my age just like Kelly is never gonna game plan like Nick or Dabo

So like DIP and Bodi and you say, suck it up Ski there’s a silver lining, a needle in a haystack, a winning Lotto ticket. We just have to either find it or a great coach. Either will work

You’re disappointed that a QB who lacks recognition skills, touch and accuracy wasn’t developed into Tom Brady.

Why would you use an inferior QB in an incredibly hostile environment

How did he look against Florida State ?

12-25 with 2 interceptions!

And you thought he should have played against Clemson ?
Developed into Tom Brady is a bit much, not sure I said that.

A package or two with Wimbush in at qb on designed runs and limited rpo's would not have been the worst thing to try considering we lost 30-3. Are you suggesting, given the opportunity to play the game again, we should go in with the exact same game plan?

Being a fan is not inconsistent with making legitimate criticism.

I have no problem with legitimate criticism.

It’s the passionate and personal attacks of the coach, his family members and outright contempt for the university administration that makes me question why some post here

I have no problem with legitimate criticism.

It’s the passionate and personal attacks of the coach, his family members and outright contempt for the university administration that makes me question why some post here

At the moment, there really is not much to be critical of. It has been surprising how opinions flip/flop
off a single game, when there is an entire season, or recent two, of information to look back on.
Lea-Balis-Long working with BK is a terrific staff. one of the better staffs in CF.
Bama? no, but ND ain’t going there!

Reactions: graceh90
i am resigned. I tried every year for 30 years. Robbed in 93; university and Wadsworth force Lou out in 96 : and recruiting goes to hell when Lou lost his Cerrato, never to be the same

This University gets what it sows

And you get Kelly. And most consider him an upgrade over every coach since Lou. Sad

ND Admin and most fans are now the philosophical equivalent of Sanctuary cities and Angela Merkel — SOFT and accepting

No piss n vinegar, no doing what it takes to make ND Great Again

Truth is Kelly is handicapped and he is not top echelon. The school handicaps our program and our slightly aboveaverage coach can’t win a big game

And the lie. The big lie.
“There were only 4 plays that was the difference between these teams.” Wrong. “The talent is the same”. Wrong. “We lost a key player”. True. But so did Clemson. And we had zero offense. How is that not a talent gap? Well the talent has a gap but not severe enough to lose the game. We could have won that game except.....

We had what Kelly excels best at — no game plan. We had what Kelly is also best at — no clue on QB development. Zaire or Kizer? Wimbush or Book? He picks the wrong guy and can’t develop them

Book had happy feet the first few minutes. He was exposed. He became what he is — an average QB with no downfield arm and he played the worst game of his ND career. Just like Kelly is an upgrade, Book is an upgrade

I hope Phil is the real deal. If he outplays Book in Spring, he will still have to shoot fireballs out his mouth to get noticed by Kelly

This is what the life of a ND fan has become. It’s like working for an incompetent boss and hoping for that bonus that is never as much as you want because you are dragged down by mediocrity

No, don’t dare get cute and tell me you don’t need fans like me. You do.

And I’ll always root and hope but not quite as much after another 2012 in 2018 debacle
But Kelly is the coach of the year! The Best of 125 D1 teams . Yup that’s our boy, coach of the year, # 1 no ones better. Fkn joke. How many wins in his career as an underdog? Whatever it is it’s not many Number one as a CEO bullshitter I will give him that award. Big game Brian

But Kelly is the coach of the year! The Best of 125 D1 teams . Yup that’s our boy, coach of the year, # 1 no ones better. Fkn joke. How many wins in his career as an underdog? Whatever it is it’s not many Number one as a CEO bullshitter I will give him that award. Big game Brian

Maybe the other teams have just had better guys .

Did that ever cross your mind ?

Reactions: graceh90 and d1042
At the moment, there really is not much to be critical of. It has been surprising how opinions flip/flop
off a single game, when there is an entire season, or recent two, of information to look back on.!

If you’ve been around here long enough you know that there is a group of negative posters who actually grow more and more frustrated with each win, and just explode when we finally lose a game.

Reactions: graceh90
First off, Urban is not the answer. He is not well and would only be around for 1-2 seasons, so stop with this nonsense.

In regards to Kelly, the latest report has Tampa Bay very interested in signing him, so many of you might get what you want. However, with the recent history ND has with hiring coaches, I am a little nervous who would replace him.

Developed into Tom Brady is a bit much, not sure I said that.

A package or two with Wimbush in at qb on designed runs and limited rpo's would not have been the worst thing to try considering we lost 30-3.

Are you suggesting, given the opportunity to play the game again, we should go in with the exact same game plan?

Haven’t you been reading my posts ?

How could you ask such a foolish question ?

First off, Urban is not the answer. He is not well and would only be around for 1-2 seasons, so stop with this nonsense.

In regards to Kelly, the latest report has Tampa Bay very interested in signing him, so many of you might get what you want. However, with the recent history ND has with hiring coaches, I am a little nervous who would replace him.
I would be kinda shocked if left after the way the season ended

Last edited:
Good post ski, I feel your pain. I appreciate what BK has done to this point in the sense that he elevated the program from where the previous dingleberries left it and proved you can still have great seasons at ND. He will never get us to the level of the elites though. His offense has always turned me off. With the types of players we can recruit well, we should be running a power rushing offense with lots of play action. We routinely get some of the biggest, baddest offensive lineman in the country, and then we teach them how to pass protect. Maybe we should raid Wisconsin’s offensive staff.

Reactions: baron100
BK is...

a good not great recruiter
good not great developer of talent
great spokesman for the university and politician like
Good play caller when in charge not great
Bad QB development
Bad in game adjustment
Terrible big game W/L record
Good organizer of staff not great (BVG)

When you break our HC down it becomes very obvious he is mediocre and ND deserves more than mediocre. We also deserve a athletic director who puts WINNING above EVERYTHING else in order for a above average coach to win here otherwise its a spinning cycle of false expectations.
But he’s coach of the year! Who are the complete imbeciles that vote on this. Complete joke

ND probably will not win another NC, with or without Kelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT