ADVERTISEMENT

We will never again win a NC. Kelly is big game bust

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
i am resigned. I tried every year for 30 years. Robbed in 93; university and Wadsworth force Lou out in 96 : and recruiting goes to hell when Lou lost his Cerrato, never to be the same

This University gets what it sows

And you get Kelly. And most consider him an upgrade over every coach since Lou. Sad

ND Admin and most fans are now the philosophical equivalent of Sanctuary cities and Angela Merkel — SOFT and accepting

No piss n vinegar, no doing what it takes to make ND Great Again

Truth is Kelly is handicapped and he is not top echelon. The school handicaps our program and our slightly aboveaverage coach can’t win a big game

And the lie. The big lie.
“There were only 4 plays that was the difference between these teams.” Wrong. “The talent is the same”. Wrong. “We lost a key player”. True. But so did Clemson. And we had zero offense. How is that not a talent gap? Well the talent has a gap but not severe enough to lose the game. We could have won that game except.....

We had what Kelly excels best at — no game plan. We had what Kelly is also best at — no clue on QB development. Zaire or Kizer? Wimbush or Book? He picks the wrong guy and can’t develop them

Book had happy feet the first few minutes. He was exposed. He became what he is — an average QB with no downfield arm and he played the worst game of his ND career. Just like Kelly is an upgrade, Book is an upgrade

I hope Phil is the real deal. If he outplays Book in Spring, he will still have to shoot fireballs out his mouth to get noticed by Kelly

This is what the life of a ND fan has become. It’s like working for an incompetent boss and hoping for that bonus that is never as much as you want because you are dragged down by mediocrity

No, don’t dare get cute and tell me you don’t need fans like me. You do.

And I’ll always root and hope but not quite as much after another 2012 in 2018 debacle

i am resigned. I tried every year for 30 years. Robbed in 93; university and Wadsworth force Lou out in 96 : and recruiting goes to hell when Lou lost his Cerrato, never to be the same

And you get Kelly. And most consider him an upgrade over every coach since Lou. Sad

ND Admin and most fans are now the philosophical equivalent of Sanctuary cities and Angela Merkel — SOFT and accepting

Truth is Kelly is handicapped and he is not top echelon. The school handicaps our program and our slightly aboveaverage coach can’t win a big game

“There were only 4 plays that was the difference between these teams.” Wrong. “The talent is the same”. Wrong. “We lost a key player”. True. But so did Clemson. And we had zero offense. How is that not a talent gap? Well the talent has a gap but not severe enough to lose the game. We could have won that game except.....

We had what Kelly excels best at — no game plan. We had what Kelly is also best at — no clue on QB development. Zaire or Kizer? Wimbush or Book? He picks the wrong guy and can’t develop them

Book had happy feet the first few minutes. He was exposed. He became what he is — an average QB with no downfield arm and he played the worst game of his ND career. Just like Kelly is an upgrade, Book is an upgrade

I hope Phil is the real deal. If he outplays Book in Spring, he will still have to shoot fireballs out his mouth to get noticed by Kelly

This is what the life of a ND fan has become. It’s like working for an incompetent boss and hoping for that bonus that is never as much as you want because you are dragged down by mediocrity

And I’ll always root and hope but not quite as much after another 2012 in 2018 debacle
Spot on 101%

The best post of 2019

Can you take what the mods say on the premium seriously? All the recruiting services? It’s all fake news.

Last edited:
OP is 100% spot on.

Been a diehard fan for 39 years.

There is a culture of mediocrity at ND. I’d the university was truly serious about winning, there wouldn’t be the disparity between ND and the perennial top contenders like you have seen for the last 20 years.

There is an obvious talent disparity between ND and the big boys. That’s by choice. ND has the ability to change that if it wanted to. You can’t convince me that they can’t draw top talent. This last game shows the glaring deficits.

I’d love to be wrong. I’m not unhappy with an undefeated season - far from it. But when are people going to see that the ceiling has been reached and there’s no serious desire to raise the bar any further???

Great post. Elite coaching IMO can mitigate most of the talent gap.

I read threads like these and wonder if you all are really ND fans or just internet trolls.

If you have such distaste for the University, its approach to athletics over the last 20-30 years, and its current head football coach, it begs the question, why are you a fan?

Reactions: notredamerises23
I read threads like these and wonder if you all are really ND fans or just internet trolls.

If you have such distaste for the University, its approach to athletics over the last 20-30 years, and its current head football coach, it begs the question, why are you a fan?
I am a fan of all the things you mention above except the head coach. People use these forms to discuss what they feel the issues are that currently plague ND, as well as vent frustration. From my view, ND is the symbol of what college athletics should be. Many of the top universities sacrifice academic’s, values among other things in the name of winning.

I'm with ya brother. ND just needs to stop with the biggest lie which is that their goal is to win national championships. They are living off their past accomplishments. Everything that makes ND "special," from their independence and TV contract, to their overflowing coffers, is based on past success. No new titles needed.

The only way I see it changing is if something were to threaten the money train. Whether that's donors/alumni cutting off funds to send a message, or the TV contract being canceled due to mediocrity/irrelevance.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I'm with ya brother. ND just needs to stop with the biggest lie which is that their goal is to win national championships. They are living off their past accomplishments. Everything that makes ND "special," from their independence and TV contract, to their overflowing coffers, is based on past success. No new titles needed.

The only way I see it changing is if something were to threaten the money train. Whether that's donors/alumni cutting off funds to send a message, or the TV contract being canceled due to mediocrity/irrelevance.

NBC viewership was up 40 % this year due to an undefeated season.

Donors/alumni are not going to stop contributing to ND.

Next ?

Didn’t we just have the best two consecutive years, 22 wins, since the middle of the Holtz era? So now donors are going to stop donating and NBC is going to cancel our TV contract?

Are there any P5 schools out there whose ultimate goal isn’t to win the national championship?

We are all frustrated with the result of the Clemson game, I get it. But it’s ridiculous to suggest ND is currently irrelevant, satisfied with mediocrity and/or that the university is handicapping the program with its support of coach Kelly. Perspective people

Happy NY

Swarbrick and Kelly couldn’t care less about the result Saturday. They are politicians that spew rhetoric because as long as every seat is filled next fall they don’t have to make any changes. It will always be about making $ instead of getting actual players on campus.

Swarbrick and Kelly couldn’t care less about the result Saturday. They are politicians that spew rhetoric because as long as every seat is filled next fall they don’t have to make any changes. It will always be about making $ instead of getting actual players on campus.
BS

0 identity on offense. Tries to take running quarterbacks and make them passers in what is a passing offense
This...but on an even grander stage.

His handling of QB's has been a total disaster.

Rees excluded,
Golson, Zaire, Kizer, Wimbush,

Book? TBD

That alone is a recipe for mediocre football.

You absolutely positively must get really good QB play present day to win in football.

That's a huge issue

Rees excluded,

Book? TBD

You absolutely positively must get really good QB play present day to win in football.

That's a huge issue
Deer meet headlights!

Rees excluded,

Book? TBD

That's a huge issue

Kizer came out too early, but nevertheless, he’s playing in the NFL.

You don’t play QB in the NFL unless you’re exceptional !

Kizer came out too early, but nevertheless, he’s playing in the NFL.

You don’t play QB in the NFL unless you’re exceptional !
Did Kizer regress from year one vs. year two.
Golson?
Zaire?
How about the development of Brandon Wimbush who was by far the best athlete at the QB position Kelly has had. ?

All went backwards the longer they're under BK.

Book...TBD

Reactions: theskibro
Are there any P5 schools out there whose ultimate goal isn’t to win the national championship?
Plenty. Your purdues northwesterns, Virginia’s, Rutgers, Iowa states of the world. Then there’s programs that will say that’s their goal but their real goal is probably to win their conference/ a major bowl. Your Michigan states West Virginia’s, Iowa’s... all teams I would bet my life on will never win another one.

Golson?
Zaire?
How about the development of Brandon Wimbush who was by far the best athlete at the QB position Kelly has had. ?

Book...TBD
Book literally regressed during the season! He didn’t have to wait until next year LOL

I don't disagree with everything the OP stated but let's get a grip here. ND has gone 12-0 twice in the last six years, not many teams do that once in a decade. I think 120 plus other programs would've liked to have had NDs record/success this year.

Also, I will keep saying it until people wake up, Bama and Clemson are on another level from everyone else. Clemson has five DL projected to go in the first two rounds of the draft, one isn't even a starter for Petes sake. Clemson and Bama have a projected 22-25 combined players to be drafted according to various services.

It's not Coach BK, NDs administration needs to ease standards, most of the top DL recruits do not qualify under the current standards.

A long layoff favors the more talented team. I truly believe ND would play better with only a week, max two to play the game.

I'm as disappointed as anyone but if you can't reflect on this years success you're too emotional. I'm glad ND is relevant again, we went through three coaches who couldn't keep ND competitive.

Golson?
Zaire?

Book...TBD

Yeah, Kizer regressed so much that the NFL drafted him in spite of his age and inexperience.

He’s not only playing in the NFL, he started in his rookie year.
That’s some regression !
Kizer is/was head and shoulders above every other Kelly QB.

Wimbush was a very good runner who lacked recognition skills, touch and accuracy from the get go.

It’s too late to teach recognition skills by the time a player enters college..

Being a good to great athlete doesn’t make you an outstanding QB if you haven’t got those other qualities.

Kelly prefers RPO QB’s

Book was undefeated and completed 70 % of his passes. 70 % !

If That’s not good enough for you, what is, 85 % ? 100 %

You speak the truth. What makes it even sadder is we have a lot of fans that are actually okay with these results. Kelly has been at Notre Dame for a decade and he has yet to win a major bowl game, let alone a national title. Think about that for a second. He embarrasses the program in every key game, his team comes out uninspired and the games aren't even competitive by the second quarter. Not only does he lose these games, he doesn't even put them in position to have a chance.

I'm a die hard fan so I'll be in front of the tv next year for every game cheering on the irish. That being said, I can't remember a time when I've been less excited for the future than I am right now. The higher ups continue to ignore the importance of being great on the football field again while constantly keeping the program hamstrung. Then we have a coach that's the definition of walking mediocrity yet there's no sign the administration/fans expect anything more. Sad time to be a Notre Dame fan and I too, am starting to doubt if Notre Dame will ever win a national title again.

To much baggage.
Why in the world do I keep reading this? What baggage are people talking about? Don't you dare bring up that bs over his assistant coach either, dude is expected to coach a football team to greatness while also playing marriage counselor for all his assistant coaches, ridiculous.

Dudes a flat out winner and I would kill to have him at Notre Dame. All of this holier than thou sh*t is for the birds, and trust me, none of the elite teams give a damn while they're kicking our asses in yet another embarrassing performance for Notre Dame.

Why in the world do I keep reading this? What baggage are people talking about? Don't you dare bring up that bs over his assistant coach either, dude is expected to coach a football team to greatness while also playing marriage counselor for all his assistant coaches, ridiculous.

Dudes a flat out winner and I would kill to have him at Notre Dame. All of this holier than thou sh*t is for the birds, and trust me, none of the elite teams give a damn while they're kicking our asses in yet another embarrassing performance for Notre Dame.
It’s not wether he is responsible or not, it’s his judgement handling the situation.

Didn’t we just have the best two consecutive years, 22 wins, since the middle of the Holtz era? So now donors are going to stop donating and NBC is going to cancel our TV contract?

Of course not. That's my point. The current system is extremely comfortable and lucrative. Only some type of disruption to the bottom line will change it. Not gonna happen any time soon.

The elitest attitude is getting our ass kicked for sure. It's too over the top. We can bring that down a peg or two.

Geez it's not like allowing two prop 48 players in with Tony Rice and Zurich that all of a sudden the university became dirty.

Reactions: Mihalko35
Is there a talent gap, sure there is. We don’t have enough depth. But I really feel Kelly as a coach does little to nothing to close the gap.

Our BS finesse offense stinks. With the lineman we get and put out to the nfl, we should be bullying teams. I’m so sick of the finesse garbage

Reactions: 88ND and Mihalko35
Golson?
Zaire?

Book...TBD
I have to admit, very very disappointed with the development of Wimbush, and how he was utilized in the CFP.

theskibro
You are one of my favorite posters but it was just a bad game though it just so happened to be on a big stage
Bummer yes I feel your pain.
2019 could be the brake through season

Last edited:
Reactions: theskibro
Is there a talent gap, sure there is. We don’t have enough depth. But I really feel Kelly as a coach does little to nothing to close the gap.

You don’t think this roster, put together by Kelly, is the best, deepest, roster ND has had in 20 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT