ADVERTISEMENT

Was Tyler Buchner...

Don't be so quick to laugh at Tyler. Kid is a really good athlete who can run in space. Always thought he'd be good in the slot. Obviously we have better options but I bet he could be a Chris Finke kinda guy. And, he's a National Champion!

He played for Bama under Tommy Rees. He MUST be a weapon. He actually would be a threat to the D all joking aside.

If he were the holder, he'd fumble away half the snaps.

But he definitely could be a weapon if they brought him in on special packages. Having Leonard, Love and Buchner on the field at the same time might be an interesting experiment.

He'd probably be the starting QB if he hadn't transferred. So there is that. They might have brought in a transfer anyway, but if he had patiently waited behind SH, he'd be a RS jr this season, and probably our starter. Everyone bags on him, but he never really had a chance to do anything, other than the South Carolina game and he wasn't bad at all.

Don't be so quick to laugh at Tyler. Kid is a really good athlete who can run in space. Always thought he'd be good in the slot. Obviously we have better options but I bet he could be a Chris Finke kinda guy. And, he's a National Champion!
At some point during the next couple of seasons, I'd love to see TB make a play. Can be O or ST, don't matter. He's an easy guy to root for.

At some point during the next couple of seasons, I'd love to see TB make a play. Can be O or ST, don't matter. He's an easy guy to root for.
I know, they should be able to come up with a gadget play for him where he can throw a TD pass on some sort of WR screen or something.

I still don't know why he transferred. It definitely was an odd, unexpected move that probably wasn't going to end well for him. Not starting for Bama in any case. Maybe he can transfer one more time once he's got his degree and start for San Diego St. or something....

I know, they should be able to come up with a gadget play for him where he can throw a TD pass on some sort of WR screen or something.

I still don't know why he transferred. It definitely was an odd, unexpected move that probably wasn't going to end well for him. Not starting for Bama in any case. Maybe he can transfer one more time once he's got his degree and start for San Diego St. or something....
Tyler just won a National Championship in Lacrosse. He'll be on the team defending the title next year. Class act. Great athlete. Only wish the best for him.

Oh that's right, I forgot about lacrosse. I don't even know if he'll get to start for them either, now that ND has achieved dominant powerhouse lacrosse status, though it is nice that he could return to ND and still play a sport since he was like, a top lacrosse prospect as well. I just want to see that dude start somewhere at QB, he's totally good enough. It just wasn't likely to happen at Bama....

TB will never be a decent QB
that has been agreed on by staffs of two different schools

That some delusional morons think he would be one is just another case of looking at someones athletic ability and thinking that is all that matteres

He'd probably be the starting QB if he hadn't transferred. So there is that. They might have brought in a transfer anyway, but if he had patiently waited behind SH, he'd be a RS jr this season, and probably our starter. Everyone bags on him, but he never really had a chance to do anything, other than the South Carolina game and he wasn't bad at all.
He was so good in the South Carolina game that he threw not one, but two, interceptions that were returned for TDs.

Reactions: IrishMike409
One of those was a deflected ball and a bit of bad luck. He still accounted for 330 yards and won the MVP.
Tipped or not, Buchner threw too many interceptions. I think he threw at least one other pic 6 that season, if not two. Way too erratic to play quarterback.

But as I said earlier, he could be used in some kind of special package on offense.

Tipped or not, Buchner threw too many interceptions. I think he threw at least one other pic 6 that season, if not two. Way too erratic to play quarterback.

But as I said earlier, he could be used in some kind of special package on offense.
He could have been the starter, that's what he could have been used as. He's probably a better runner than RL, and has at least as much 'arm talent', he just wasn't all the way there yet. He had what, like three total starts? It's water under the bridge now, and presumably the only reason he wasn't welcomed back at QB is because he bolted on the team, at the most important leadership position, and the program had to move on. That's what I figured, not because the idea of him playing QB again was a nonstarter solely on the athletic merits.

But I suppose it is over for him, as he'd at least have to practice with the QBs if he were to have any chance at transferring to a smaller program. And now he's playing WR and waiting on some special package to see the field.

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
Can he play in 2025? And if so I could see him becoming a depth piece at WR. And seeing the field. And maybe more....
Redshirted in 2022 so yes. He may prove to be valuable at QB depending on how the QB room shakes out.

I as well think he may be a depth piece at WR.

I think people are too quick to assume he sucks when he didn’t play as a high school senior, got hurt as a college sophomore, and then was replaced as a junior.

He could have been the starter, that's what he could have been used as. He's probably a better runner than RL, and has at least as much 'arm talent', he just wasn't all the way there yet. He had what, like three total starts? It's water under the bridge now, and presumably the only reason he wasn't welcomed back at QB is because he bolted on the team, at the most important leadership position, and the program had to move on. That's what I figured, not because the idea of him playing QB again was a nonstarter solely on the athletic merits.

But I suppose it is over for him, as he'd at least have to practice with the QBs if he were to have any chance at transferring to a smaller program. And now he's playing WR and waiting on some special package to see the field.
I recall Sam Hartman saying that he envied Buchner's arm.

I recall Sam Hartman saying that he envied Buchner's arm.
I just remember his HS clips were pretty dazzling. Just slinging the ball downfield with accuracy and ease, and looking comfortable and confident like a badass. Anyway, it was a shame IMO that he made the abrupt move to transfer to Bama, which I suppose was intriguing with Rees on board, but still ill-advised. He couldn't have been more of an ideal cultural fit for ND, and that's probably why he came back, even if football wasn't really in the equation anymore.

I just remember his HS clips were pretty dazzling. Just slinging the ball downfield with accuracy and ease, and looking comfortable and confident like a badass. Anyway, it was a shame IMO that he made the abrupt move to transfer to Bama, which I suppose was intriguing with Rees on board, but still ill-advised. He couldn't have been more of an ideal cultural fit for ND, and that's probably why he came back, even if football wasn't really in the equation anymore.
It’s aggravating that he left though I respect his decision. All he had to do was chill one more year and get his degree. If he doesn’t start by 2024, then transfer if he wishes. He still would have had two years of eligibility and could have gone wherever. But now he’s a walk on. Oh well.

He really could have helped the team last year by providing depth.

I’ve never seen a further/faster fall of a player. With out some legal issue or major injury.

2 years ago he’s the man, going into osu as the clear qb for nd, so good they didn’t even look at the portal despite his limited experience, potential heisman candidate

2 years later, after two transfers, one with hope of playing a different sport, he’s a signal caller for nd in their opener

Seems like a great person, things happen, but man, that’s a fast fall. Smart enough to come back for the nd degree though!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Id use him a place holder for a fake field goal. , have a play or two for him to either run or throw into the end zone. Jmo.

Id use him a place holder for a fake field goal. , have a play or two for him to either run or throw into the end zone. Jmo.
Being a place holder is a big deal, and takes a lot of work. It's not the worst idea, but would take a big commitment from him and ST.

It feels like he just wants to be part of the program vs get back on the field ASAP.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I’ve never seen a further/faster fall of a player. With out some legal issue or major injury.

2 years ago he’s the man, going into osu as the clear qb for nd, so good they didn’t even look at the portal despite his limited experience, potential heisman candidate

2 years later, after two transfers, one with hope of playing a different sport, he’s a signal caller for nd in their opener

Seems like a great person, things happen, but man, that’s a fast fall. Smart enough to come back for the nd degree though!
This.

Was a great move ensuring that he maximizes the opportunity to ND to secure a degree and maybe even some kind of post-grad degree. He'll maybe be positioned to hit the work force at 24 or 25 with unlimited possibilities to earn.

Maybe at some point, he makes a big special teams play. Big late game tackle on kick or punt coverage, picks up a fumble, makes a huge block.

I'm not even sure if there's a pathway for him to get on kick or punt coverage?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT