ADVERTISEMENT

USC update...,

beachcardinal

All Star
Jan 30, 2006
First, I know this is an ND board, but many have shown interest in this subject. It is all but public, Clay is gone, has been told, and the world will know Monday. From what I hear even the extremely unlikely even of an SC upset of the Irish won't help. He gone.

I so concerned about the damage this good but incompetent man has/would cause that I will still root for the Irish against us Saturday (not that my rooting matters.)

My hope is that with a new coach SC can provide the quality opponent the Irish deserve. I still will hope for SC to win every year, but I am praying for the battles of old where tough, well-prepared, high quality athletes will determine weather "wake up the echoes" or "fight on" is the theme of the game's story.

For as long as I can remember I have wished the Irish luck in every game save when we play you. For those I hoped for a fairly refereed game with no injuries. This time, for the first time in my life,I will be wishing you luck too. May all the breaks go your way. After, lets have some "civil" wars.

Fight on

Classy as always Beach, as it pertains to the Irish. Thanks for the update. Thoughts on candidates?

I’ve seen Franklin as a rumor. Boy if I’m USC I get away from the slick recruiters and get guys that win. Recruiting will come given the locale, what you need is a strong x/o guy with a pedigree of winning. USC can command that too. If he loses this weekend, you’re gonna poach an 8-4 coach?

First, I know this is an ND board, but many have shown interest in this subject. It is all but public, Clay is gone, has been told, and the world will know Monday. From what I hear even the extremely unlikely even of an SC upset of the Irish won't help. He gone.

I so concerned about the damage this good but incompetent man has/would cause that I will still root for the Irish against us Saturday (not that my rooting matters.)

My hope is that with a new coach SC can provide the quality opponent the Irish deserve. I still will hope for SC to win every year, but I am praying for the battles of old where tough, well-prepared, high quality athletes will determine weather "wake up the echoes" or "fight on" is the theme of the game's story.

For as long as I can remember I have wished the Irish luck in every game save when we play you. For those I hoped for a fairly refereed game with no injuries. This time, for the first time in my life,I will be wishing you luck too. May all the breaks go your way. After, lets have some "civil" wars.

Fight on
Thanks beach. Classy post!

Fight on

For the good of USC AND ND football. Both Swann and Helton were egregious errors.
Beat the SEC!

Your description sounds like Gerry Faust. A good but incompetent man who gave it his best.

Classy as always Beach, as it pertains to the Irish. Thanks for the update. Thoughts on candidates?

I’ve seen Franklin as a rumor. Boy if I’m USC I get away from the slick recruiters and get guys that win. Recruiting will come given the locale, what you need is a strong x/o guy with a pedigree of winning. USC can command that too. If he loses this weekend, you’re gonna poach an 8-4 coach?

Franklin would be fine with me. Vages has odds up already. Chris Perterson (fine but IMO unlikely) is the favorite followed by Jack Del Rio (likely but horrible IMO), Bunch of other good names on the Vagas list (Campell, Bbers, etc)

Franklin would be fine with me. Vages has odds up already. Chris Perterson (fine but IMO unlikely) is the favorite followed by Jack Del Rio (likely but horrible IMO), Bunch of other good names on the Vagas list (Campell, Bbers, etc)
All the other names look good but Jack Del Rio would be an absolute disaster.

Reactions: NDIRISH53

Fight on
Beach, thanks for sharing. I hadn’t heard or read this. The last I read was that Swann had been silent and damn near invisible for the past month. Clay wasn’t his hire, but Swann did give the big extension. Does firing Clay save Swann’s job? College football is better when ND and USC are both highly ranked and the game’s with NC and Playoff implications.

Thanks Beach. Time for a change and good for you guys as this reminds me of Weis' last year. I've taught at USC for 32 years and root for them in every game but one. So yes, I'll be wearing green tomorrow -- my two sons (but USC grads) are nervous that there might be an upset. They said I might never come home and they are right. ND needs to play a solid game, get a win and go home...

Any talk of Dave Aranda? -- I can imagine USC as a tough defensive minded team a la the Pete years.

Thanks Beach. Time for a change and good for you guys as this reminds me of Weis' last year. I've taught at USC for 32 years and root for them in every game but one. So yes, I'll be wearing green tomorrow -- my two sons (but USC grads) are nervous that there might be an upset. They said I might never come home and they are right. ND needs to play a solid game, get a win and go home...

Any talk of Dave Aranda? -- I can imagine USC as a tough defensive minded team a la the Pete years.

Not yet. This is so weird. Have been hearing about the change for a while but wasn't "sure" until what I heard was confirmed on the SC premium site. Now some the site's own staff are disputing what the site wrote this morning.

I am still going with he is gone but this has been crazy.

Beach, you are by far the classiest poster from another school we have ever had here.

I hate USC but it is better when they are contenders then doormats.

Recruiting is not a big problem as long as you have a good coach. So the smart move is to get the good coach even if he is not all that as a recruiter.

Remember Faust at first was a good recruiter. Weis really improved the skills quality but had a difficult time getting linemen.

and neither one of them could coach their way out of a room with only one lighted exit.

Coach first recruiter second

Not yet. This is so weird. Have been hearing about the change for a while but wasn't "sure" until what I heard was confirmed on the SC premium site. Now some the site's own staff are disputing what the site wrote this morning.

I am still going with he is gone but this has been crazy.

Just the way this has been handled indicates how ill equipped Swann is for his position.
How can a team be a team when the bizarre atmosphere of this week continues.
And what can be expected from a Helton staff that are under the best circumstances minimalists when it comes to practices and preparation. Keeping either would continue the problems. Both need to go.

Let's see now. Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. If we are to follow the natural progression of hiring practices at USC, Reggie Bush will become the next AD at USC.

Let's see now. Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. If we are to follow the natural progression of hiring practices at USC, Reggie Bush will become the next AD at USC.

Well, if they don’t learn from history, they will repeat it.

Beach, you are by far the classiest poster from another school we have ever had here.

I hate USC but it is better when they are contenders then doormats.

Recruiting is not a big problem as long as you have a good coach. So the smart move is to get the good coach even if he is not all that as a recruiter.

Remember Faust at first was a good recruiter. Weis really improved the skills quality but had a difficult time getting linemen.

and neither one of them could coach their way out of a room with only one lighted exit.

Coach first recruiter second

Thanks but I really just treat people here with the respect they show me.

Fight on

When I was young I wanted ND to beat Southern Cal every time. Most of those years were won by SC. There is something about this game that for me , is everything that’s great about college football. There is a respect I have for SC that is from playing ND through the years. They never ever have ducked anyone. I don’t care what anyone says. Ohio st vs Michigan is a great rivalry. Auburn vs Alabama is another. Florida vs FSU yet another. As far as I’m concerned ND vs Souther Cal is the best. The history between these two teams is unmatched. The Heisman trophy winners, all Americans and NFL players from both schools are unmatched. This game is college football! Legends are born when these two schools meet. Here’s hoping for a hard fought , good clean, injury free game. Go Irish !! Fight On !!

He should apprentice in the office of ncaa compliance.

I’m going to throw a name out there that nobody has mentioned. It would scare me as an Irish fan. Like I said I dont think you want a slick recruiter. In that vein what about poaching Mark Dantonio?

I wonder at a place with more resources if he’d be more dominant. He knows how to coach and understands the game. I know he’s not coming off his best season but I almost wonder if he’s maxed out what you can do at a place like MSU. But would have a renaissance with all the resources at USC.

What ya think Beach?

Now you guys are picking coaches for a rival? This is too funny. They have enough problems and besides, USC and their fans didn't give a damn about ND when they were on their run against our Irish.

I’m going to throw a name out there that nobody has mentioned. It would scare me as an Irish fan. Like I said I dont think you want a slick recruiter. In that vein what about poaching Mark Dantonio?

I wonder at a place with more resources if he’d be more dominant. He knows how to coach and understands the game. I know he’s not coming off his best season but I almost wonder if he’s maxed out what you can do at a place like MSU. But would have a renaissance with all the resources at USC.

What ya think Beach?

Dantonio is a great coach, but a bad fit at SC. Have you ever seen him smile? He’s like the anti-Pete Carroll.

Now you guys are picking coaches for a rival? This is too funny. They have enough problems and besides, USC and their fans didn't give a damn about ND when they were on their run against our Irish.

You realize we aren't actually picking the coaches right?

Dantonio is a great coach, but a bad fit at SC. Have you ever seen him smile? He’s like the anti-Pete Carroll.
Yea I’m out of town dumb on their search but I’d suggest someone not in the mold of what they’ve had, including Carroll. There’s only one of him and constantly trying to replicate that with personality guys imho is the wrong approach (and how you end up with lane). It just seems they could get a guy better than franklin (who’s resume is closer to Helton than better), and cambpell, who is good but a huge risk.

Yea I’m out of town dumb on their search but I’d suggest someone not in the mold of what they’ve had, including Carroll. There’s only one of him and constantly trying to replicate that with personality guys imho is the wrong approach (and how you end up with lane). It just seems they could get a guy better than franklin (who’s resume is closer to Helton than better), and cambpell, who is good but a huge risk.
Agreed, but they need someone who is marginally media friendly. Dantonio is Belichick light. Works in the no nonsense Midwest. Not so much in Tinseltown

You realize we aren't actually picking the coaches right?
I don't think some realize that. I don't know about you, but I have found great humor in all things regarding ND/SC this past week around here. I can save tons of time by repurposing all the "candidates" that were thrown into the ring when CW was dismissed and then again after the 2016 season. I am serious when I say that the Irish cannot sleep on USC tomorrow night. They are unpredictable and that means they can be dangerous.

Fight on
At least Tyrone Willingham will a have.a new golf partner!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT