ADVERTISEMENT

Update on the arrested players

Butler is injured. And off we know, he should not recieve a harsh penalty. Possibly, The same cannot be said for the responding officers.

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I trust ND and BK will do the fair and correct thing. What I think doesn't matter because I have none of the facts. Only news reports and chatter.

Butler is injured. And off we know, he should not recieve a harsh penalty. Possibly, The same cannot be said for the responding officers.

Only time will tell.
Basing opinions such as this on unsworn accounts of individuals, at least two of which are from people with highly vested interests in their self serving renditions is ludicrous. Incredibly, one of them was a purpetrator of a vicious assault that caused the entire incident.

Reactions: Pennick44
So after this article, Max was charged with the firearm possession and the foggy four were charged with marijuana possession. My guess is that they will each be fined $35 and will miss a game. Would be kind of ironic if ND's deliberate punitive processes resulted in that being the Nevada game. That outcome would make me smile and you would be able to hear the shouts from SEC country from SB.

So after this article, Max was charged with the firearm possession and the foggy four were charged with marijuana possession. My guess is that they will each be fined $35 and will miss a game. Would be kind of ironic if ND's deliberate punitive processes resulted in that being the Nevada game. That outcome would make me smile and you would be able to hear the shouts from SEC country from SB.

marijuana crime stigma has been reduced so if they get punished harshly that would be a surprise

Reactions: melstew
Basing opinions such as this on unsworn accounts of individuals, at least two of which are from people with highly vested interests in their self serving renditions is ludicrous. Incredibly, one of them was a purpetrator of a vicious assault that caused the entire incident.

you miss the point; the more the matter gets obfucsted, for whatever the reasons the less chance the charges stand as is.

think on this: if DB stands and does nothing, wouldn't that have been wrong also?
the good samaritan law: no good deed will go unpunished.

I believe the 4 are going to Texas and may play.

Here's the summary of today's courtroom action. This could turn into a significant distraction.

Yep. Coney's next court date is a couple days before the Stanford game, which will keep the story fresh in the news.

you expect this matter to go to court?

Its already in court, with scheduled court dates. ;)

As far as trial - I have no idea. The player's were in the same car, but they're not all in the same boat. Looking at Ara's article on scheduling, a couple may have already worked out their deals. But Fulton County has a significant drug problem, and law enforcement has been doing a high profile "blitz" in that area every summer to draw attention to drug enforcement efforts. The state pours extra money in that area to step up drug enforcement efforts along US 31. That, plus the prosecutor's description of case as involving a "substantial" amount of weed, is the thing that gives me pause. Why say that publicly if you're about to turn around and quickly agree to a slap on the wrist? Assuming its ultimately going to end in a plea deal, the prosecutor might be okay with letting the case linger and letting the defendants struggle a little until the media spotlight dims. The process doesn't necessarily run on a time-frame designed for the defendant's convenience.

That's about as much wild-ass uninformed speculation as I want to give it.

Reactions: melstew
what I read about the court appearance today makes me wonder if any one of the five can walk and chew bubble gum, let alone get a degree at ND!

what I read about the court appearance today makes me wonder if any one of the five can walk and chew bubble gum, let alone get a degree at ND!
Gotta learn when you're a star athlete. Find some tag alongs to carry drugs and guns.

I served on a jury where a driver was pulled over and a Pringles can full of coke bags and 20 dollar bills were found in the car ... He basically said he didn't know who it belonged to or how it got there and it was burden of the state to prove it was his ... Which they could not do. Not guilty.

^ and did that jury also say that man has not landed on the moon?

his or possession? who had control of the 'pringles'?

did Marsha Clark prosecute that one?

Will be curious to hear what constitute a "significant" amount of mj in Indiana

The article said if it were more than 30 grams, i.e., an oz., it is a felony. They were all charged with misdemeanors, so I'm guessing not that much.

^ and did that jury also say that man has not landed on the moon?

his or possession? who had control of the 'pringles'?

did Marsha Clark prosecute that one?
Maybe you are a better prosecutor than the one on the case - you do seem pretty smart. In this case the verdict was Not Guilty and the judge met with us afterwards and shared he would have voted the same way.

well you only mentioned a scant description.
But proving ownership was ?; the issue to argue best was possession and control.

BTW: a judge just let the Stanford swimmer convicted of rape go home after a few months in prison! So that a judge did or said something, ehhh!

Maybe one of the legal eagles on board can weigh in on P&C vs proving ownership?

If simply saying, "ain't mine" was a defense then what moron would admit ownership?

Last edited:
well you only mentioned a scant description.
But proving ownership was ?; the issue to argue best was possession and control.

BTW: a judge just let the Stanford swimmer convicted of rape go home after a few months in prison! So that a judge did or saud something, ehhh!

Maybe one of the legal eagles on board can weigh in on P&C vs proving ownership?

get a life

Reactions: Bodizephax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT