ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts On The Navy Game

I would like to get the Navy coach to coach ND. Revamp the offense to the triple option with a little more passing. It would be like going into a time machine and bringing Lou Holtz back. ND could still recruit top defensive players and they would be more fresh because of offensive ball control. ND would still be able to recruit good running backs and athletes that want a chance to lead the team at QB like Tony Rice.
We, as fans get to caught up in recruiting flashy skill when what really matters is recruiting hardnosed players who are not afraid to mix it up.
Hire Ken N ! And play winning Holtz style football !!
I'm in

Im in too. We discussed this on a tread before the Navy game, and the "Experts " on the board
told us why this would not be. good idea ! I still thing that it is a great idea !

Bodi, the problem with running a Navy style offense at ND, as I see it, is you have to totally change the profile of your offensive linemen. We have big guys who we build up to 325 lb pro prototype linemen. To run the Navy triple option, you need smaller quicker guys who burst off the line and shoot for the opponents lower legs. They definitely cause a ton of problems as evidenced by their consistent ability to get our bigger players backing up to avoid the low blocks. However, as also evidenced, these same linemen couldn't sustain blocks necessary for power sweeps, nor could they pass block if needed more than a handful of times per game.
I admit Coach N is an attractive alternative, but the main attraction for me is the way he has his players hitting so damn hard and with great fundamentals, and with discipline.I think coach N would be a really interesting hire and successful at ND, but I think the offense would look a lot more like the Holtz days than the pure triple option he runs out of necessity at Navy. Add The fact he understands the challenge of coaching at a school with high academic challenges, and he seems like a really interesting fit.

Bodi, the problem with running a Navy style offense at ND, as I see it, is you have to totally change the profile of your offensive linemen. We have big guys who we build up to 325 lb pro prototype linemen. To run the Navy triple option, you need smaller quicker guys who burst off the line and shoot for the opponents lower legs. They definitely cause a ton of problems as evidenced by their consistent ability to get our bigger players backing up to avoid the low blocks. However, as also evidenced, these same linemen couldn't sustain blocks necessary for power sweeps, nor could they pass block if needed more than a handful of times per game.
I admit Coach N is an attractive alternative, but the main attraction for me is the way he has his players hitting so damn hard and with great fundamentals, and with discipline.I think coach N would be a really interesting hire and successful at ND, but I think the offense would look a lot more like the Holtz days than the pure triple option he runs out of necessity at Navy. Add The fact he understands the challenge of coaching at a school with high academic challenges, and he seems like a really interesting fit.

I think Ken could adapt the triple option to be more Holtz like and I am sure he would look at that and Holtz had big lineman. But even if they go for different type lineman--it always takes a couple of years for a coach to get his type layers. I would rather have smaller lineman who play like Superman than Bigger lineman (like ours) who play like Lois Lane (sorry Harry H.).

I think Ken could adapt the triple option to be more Holtz like and I am sure he would look at that and Holtz had big lineman. But even if they go for different type lineman--it always takes a couple of years for a coach to get his type layers. I would rather have smaller lineman who play like Superman than Bigger lineman (like ours) who play like Lois Lane (sorry Harry H.).
I've felt for several years that our linemen on both sides of the ball carry unproductive weight. They just seem strong and slow footed for the college game. I understand the need for someone built like Cage in the 3-4, but I wonder if we sacrifice too much quickness when we bulk up a guy like Nelson. Would love to see these guys play leaner and tougher and quicker, but not happening under Kelly. Suspect it would with Ken.

Reactions: Bodizephax
The

Same as you. You didn't really think the defense was going to stop Navy's run game did you? Thought they played well enough to win the game, which was my point. The stupid 12 man penalty that gave Navy the first down and extended their nine minute third qtr possession for a touchdown kept the defense on the field too long and likely cost us the game. Still our offense should have scored enough to beat their 28 points. Our offense stopped itself, Navy sure as hell didn't.

We scored 27 points in 6 possessions. That's not too bad. Because most games you get twice as many possessions as that. But the defense couldn't get off the field. But you're right - the play of the game was probably the penalty on the punt. Without that, we probably win.

1. Deshone Kizer may have been the worst player on the field today. His accuracy is absolutely deplorable, a trend that has continued. I'm ready for him to move on because he's not improving. The NFL will draft him high based on potential, but that accuracy is going to keep him on the bench unless he commits to fixing it.

2. The fact that Scott Booker has not been fired shows continude incompetence on Kelly's behalf to manage his staff. Loyalty is huge aspect of football, but loyalty to a fault is insanity and will and should cost a head coach his job.

3. You have to go for it on that 4th down because Navy is never kicking a field goal. You have to score when you have the opportunity, but then again, when your QB is playing is poorly as Kizer I don't know if you trust him to pick up 4 yards. He missed reads all over the field.

4. I feel for the defense. They played hard again today and were well prepared. In particular, I thought Onwualu, Martini and Love battled like crazy. Love passion and effort from a young group on that side of the ball. They were screwed by another special mistake, or they hold Navy to 21 points, a very good defensive effort against a tough offense to handle.

5. Kevin Stepherson is going to be a poor man's Will Fuller. Really good player in the making. Better hands than Fuller, not quite the speed. He and St. Brown give you some nice weapons on the perimeter for the future.

6. Congrats to Navy, those kids play damn hard and are well coached... With that said and mean no disrespect to the US Naval Academy, but those kids get soooo much pitty from the refs for being undersized. I'm not going to go on the cut block vs chop block soap box, but they get with the most blatant holds on the perimeter and the refs don't even think of flagging them. At one point the announcers said they have only 17 total penalties this year, which infuriates me. Yes there are missed or uncalled penalties on each play in college football, but point of attack penalties are almost never ignored. What thr kids get away with (just because of who they are) along the sidelines, right in front of the refs, is abysmal and embarrassing for the sport. It' been going on for years.

I have great respect for everything those kids stand and play for, but it's year, after year, of the same nonsense. I don't care how small they are, the rules ought to be the same for everyone.

7. Brian Kelly is on his way out, and it will be interesting to see if Swarbrick and University swallow the millions they'll pay out, or if they give Kelly another year in which this team will undoubtedly be better. I've gone on record saying that they'll win at least 8 games, but they're not going to the playoffs under this staff. Kelly has done a lot to prepare this program for success and has the next staff set up fairly well for success, but it's obviously approaching the time (some would argue the time has passed) for fresh ideas and new energy in South Bend. Kelly's teams haven't quit on him and they are competitive every week, but competitive is for up-and-coming programs, Notre Dame is an established program. There is no reason a coach at ND can't win 9+ games each year.

JMO.

We scored 27 points in 6 possessions. That's not too bad. Because most games you get twice as many possessions as that. But the defense couldn't get off the field. But you're right - the play of the game was probably the penalty on the punt. Without that, we probably win.
It was THE biggest play of the game. The way the game was going, take the penalty away and we are likely to be leading 31-21 a few minutes later, and all we have to do is match scores with Navy from that point on. Forcing the punt at that juncture of the game was our biggest achievement of the game, quickly followed by our biggest blunder of the game.

Reactions: mbd11
we don't need a Navy like triple option....Navy does that to compensate for other limitations that always exist. We need the option...nothing more. Holtz proved that....and incorporated a passing attack to fill in the gaps...and a short passing game using tight ends...and ball control. Have you ever seen Kelly use a "draw play"? Kelly couldn't sniff at this combination.

It seems like there are fewer and fewer ND fans who care. More people were on the message boards back in the day when Willingham and Weis were stinking up the joint. There doesn't seem to be as many people who give a damn nowadays.

Its not that people don't care they are just tired of all of the whining on this Board.

Reactions: greengael
yep

always the blunder. too frequent to excuse it as a random 'faux pas'; clearly a coaching blunder AGAIN!

we don't need a Navy like triple option....Navy does that to compensate for other limitations that always exist. We need the option...nothing more. Holtz proved that....and incorporated a passing attack to fill in the gaps...and a short passing game using tight ends...and ball control. Have you ever seen Kelly use a "draw play"? Kelly couldn't sniff at this combination.

If we get this coach not saying he is bad we are telling the public we cannot compete at the highest level

go back to basics and fundamentals. The physical approach. If they are going to beat you, make them know they are going to pay the price!

It is easier to teach and install a basic fundamental physical brand of football than a 'fancy nancy' style.
fancy nancy scares no one!

Bodi, the problem with running a Navy style offense at ND, as I see it, is you have to totally change the profile of your offensive linemen.

Also expect recruiting of players hoping for NFL will go down. Players want an NFL style experience to get ready for the next level. When DEs drop for pass coverage, this could be good exposure for NFL coaches who like to zone-blitz. DEs with this skill likely are better prospect for the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT