ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Brandon Wimbush converting to Arnaz Battle/Carlyle Holiday role?

Wimbush needs to be put in space, exactly what they are doing with avery davis. Wimbush is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Davis. I'd like to see him take over that role. Hell you could have book at QB and Davis and Wimbush in the backfield. That's 3 players recruited to play QB at ND in the backfield. Crazy, but possible.

Terrell Pryor has become a really good WR. Could BW transform himself to resemble TP?

lol...
That simple huh?
Your ignorance is the beacon of a message board expert know nothing.

You really have no clue but you think you do which makes you twice as ignorant.

I'd bet you anything that BW REALLY bought in on playing QB. Bought in WITH ALL HIS MIGHT!!!

That's worked out so well the head coach benched him for a guy that was said clearly got beat out at practice. The reason according to the head coach is that the offense wasn't working the way they envisioned.

How the hell could that be? Wimbush bought in...right? BW is just such an athletic anomaly how could this have failed? He bought in.

Let me help you
There are things within the game that crossover from one position to the other but you can't just make someone something they are not no matter how much they buy in.

Are you following that?

Let me repeat that for you...no matter how much someone wants to buy into something there are things they just can't do.

This thinking that Brandon Wimbush is a worldly athletic phenom is ridiculous. By division 1 standards in 2018 he has decent speed (not elite) for a skilled position player. Skilled position being any back, reciever, defensive back. Quarterback falls under any back category in case you didn't know.

He takes a shotgun snap..the play develops...natural running lanes unfold. When he chooses to take off its when a play has broken or by design but either way he chooses the path of least resistance. As he should. He takes off running with lots of room and gains yardage. Great.

Taking a handoff heading into the box he is way too clumsy and heavy footed. He is not taking the ball in a tight compact manner and hitting the hole 100 mph or making a cutback all without breaking stride.

No matter how much he buys IN as you say that's something he just can't do. Are there other positions he can contribute? Sure.

Running back isn't one of them.
Very good point that converting QB's to RB is mixed. Braxton Miller was a marginal H-back. Denard Robinson was still a reasonable effective tailback. I thought Wimbush might be worth a shot because I'm not confident in the skill set of the current RB's. In summary what it sounds you are saying Wimbush's success is due to him being opportunistic but if asked to take a handoff his inexperience at reading a play in a tighter space does not make him any better than an equally massed Tony Jones as he is also not a burner. In which case Wimbush's best move would be to wait for Book to gain the wrath of Kelly. After all it is not like Wake Forest was a giant on defense. They did not fire their defensive coordinator midseason over one game.

Last edited:
lol...
That simple huh?

I'd bet you anything that BW REALLY bought in on playing QB. Bought in WITH ALL HIS MIGHT!!!

That's worked out so well the head coach benched him for a guy that was said clearly got beat out at practice. The reason according to the head coach is that the offense wasn't working the way they envisioned.

How the hell could that be? Wimbush bought in...right? BW is just such an athletic anomaly how could this have failed? He bought in.

Let me help you
There are things within the game that crossover from one position to the other but you can't just make someone something they are not no matter how much they buy in.

Are you following that?

Let me repeat that for you...no matter how much someone wants to buy into something there are things they just can't do.

This thinking that Brandon Wimbush is a worldly athletic phenom is ridiculous. By division 1 standards in 2018 he has decent speed (not elite) for a skilled position player. Skilled position being any back, reciever, defensive back. Quarterback falls under any back category in case you didn't know.

He takes a shotgun snap..the play develops...natural running lanes unfold. When he chooses to take off its when a play has broken or by design but either way he chooses the path of least resistance. As he should. He takes off running with lots of room and gains yardage. Great.

Taking a handoff heading into the box he is way too clumsy and heavy footed. He is not taking the ball in a tight compact manner and hitting the hole 100 mph or making a cutback all without breaking stride.

No matter how much he buys IN as you say that's something he just can't do. Are there other positions he can contribute? Sure.

Your ignorance is showing once again. no one said it was simple. to summarily dismiss his abilities is short sighted and stupid, something you show in almost every post you make. find another subject to discuss as you've proven over and over that your football knowledge is at the very bottom of the pedestrian level. you have steadfastly refused to tell us of your football pedigree because you have none obviously. being long winded in your posts doesn't make you knowledgeable its makes you just another person who doesn't have an answer to an essay question.

All the thoughts about what is best for fans, team, really are secondary to what is best for BW.
Best may not be his best position, but what brings him the most satisfaction or joy or challenge or whatever drivers inspire him. He has to be selfish right now and think on those things, to do what is soley in his own best interest. Nobody cares about you like you, yourself. Best wishes for the kid.

Right, the Ivies do not give athletic scholarships, but they do give academic scholarships to graduate students in some fields.
And the big three, Harvard, Yale and Princeton, literally have unlimited funds for kids they want who cannot afford to pay.

Very good point that converting QB's to RB is mixed. Braxton Miller was a marginal H-back. Denard Robinson was still a reasonable effective tailback. I thought Wimbush might be worth a shot because I'm not confident in the skill set of the current RB's. It summary what it sounds you are saying Wimbush's success is due to him being opportunistic but if asked to take a handoff his inexperience at reading a play in a tighter space does not make him any better than an equally massed Tony Jones as he is also not a burner. In which case Wimbush's best move would be to wait for Book to gain the wrath of Kelly. After all it is not like Wake Forest was a giant on defense. They did not fire their defensive coordinator midseason over one game.
Lol....definitely a possibility. Half the folk here have started Montana/Book comparison talk in someway shape or form. I hate comparisons like that. It's never fair to the campared and the comparable.

What we know....
Wimbush... is not a QB. At least not in Brian Kelly's offense.
No matter what his passing at this level where things happen very fast is unacceptable.

Book...don't know much yet. Beat NC in shitty weather in first start. Jump started an anemic ND offense to a bowl win vs. LSU..put a real nice game together against Wake. That's it.
But the little we do know..So far so good!!!

I'd love to see him commit his athleticism to another position and work his ass off in the weight room this winter to convert his body. I think he could be a legitimate contributor elsewhere on the offense.

That said, with the abundance of teams annually that are in need of help at QB, it's more likely that Brandon graduates and transfers at season's end, for the opportunity to play elsewhere... He's 13-3 as a starter. A team in need of a quarterback will come knocking.

Expect Ian Book, Phil Jurkovec to me the #1 and #2 heading into next year... And honestly, for the future of the program, I don't think that's the worst thing.

A note on Jurkovec while I'm on the topic... Man do I hope that kid is the passer he's billed to be, because he certainly isn't fast. Difference between watching him and Ian Book run the read option (it was only one play) was night and day. He's mobile, but he certainly isn't making you pay with his legs at the college level. Hopefully he's the gunslinger we saw on his high school film!

That long pass Jurkovec threw down the sideline was a rocket. That looked like an NFL arm to me.

lol...
That simple huh?

Let me help you

Are you following that?

yes because " clumsy and heavy footed " guys routinely account for 30 touchdowns and average 5.7 yards per carry as wimbush did last year. tired of embarrassing yourself yet ? RB is a position he could easily adapt to if that was the case. in your world he'd be a nose tackle.

Reactions: mbd11
2 words: Braxton Miller

Michael Robinson from Penn State is another possible comparison. He was built similarly to Wimbush (about 230 lbs), switched to FB in the NFL and had a nice career. Won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks.

Your ignorance is showing once again. no one said it was simple. to summarily dismiss his abilities is short sighted and stupid, something you show in almost every post you make. find another subject to discuss as you've proven over and over that your football knowledge is at the very bottom of the pedestrian level. you have steadfastly refused to tell us of your football pedigree because you have none obviously. being long winded in your posts doesn't make you knowledgeable its makes you just another person who doesn't have an answer to an essay question.
No one said it was simple??? You're right...you just imply it's only a matter of buying in and believing and bam.

If they're good enough athlete they can just do anything they please.

We have a roster full of good athletes but no matter how hard they try just can't up and switch to any position they'd like.

Again you think since BW isn't going to play QB he could be the RB now or a reciever.

The part that really shows your lack of football knowledge is your lack of recognizing things that mother nature controls.
Implying Wimbush being a running back could mean he's not heavy footed.
What's the other one you would sound off about...his accuracy. I loved that one. Like he can get some magic potion and be more accurate.

Just those things right there scream you've no idea WTF you're talking about.

Someone is either fleet of foot or not. They are accurate or not. You can tweak those things to polish them up but you can't just make someone so.

When I need some comic relief I just log on to see your silly posts and voila...

Michael Robinson from Penn State is another possible comparison. He was built similarly to Wimbush (about 230 lbs), switched to FB in the NFL and had a nice career. Won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks.
M Rob was an absolute bull, he wanted to just run you over even while playing QB. Very different running styles, but both great athletes. Wimbush will not be a FB in the NFL

Reactions: 88ND
yes because " clumsy and heavy footed " guys routinely account for 30 touchdowns and average 5.7 yards per carry as wimbush did last year. tired of embarrassing yourself yet ? RB is a position he could easily adapt to if that was the case. in your world he'd be a nose tackle.
Football stupid you are. Were those his numbers from the tailback spot? Nope

They were in fact from a QB position when teams played him honest. As in the accounting for his passing. Big lanes open up and he'd take off.

This year once teams ignored his inaccurate passing from his reputation

Rushing stats are...
49 attempts for 136 yards.

A mind numbing 2.8 yards per carry!!!!

Yep....he'd be amazing there.

No one said it was simple??? You're right...you just imply it's only a matter of buying in and believing and bam.

If they're good enough athlete they can just do anything they please.

We have a roster full of good athletes but no matter how hard they try just can't up and switch to any position they'd like.

Again you think since BW isn't going to play QB he could be the RB now or a reciever.

The part that really shows your lack of football knowledge is your lack of recognizing things that mother nature controls.
Implying Wimbush being a running back could mean he's not heavy footed.
What's the other one you would sound off about...his accuracy. I loved that one. Like he can get some magic potion and be more accurate.

Just those things right there scream you've no idea WTF you're talking about.

Someone is either fleet of foot or not. They are accurate or not. You can tweak those things to polish them up but you can't just make someone so.

When I need some comic relief I just log on to see your silly posts and voila...
no when you want comic relief you go to your mirror. for the record i never praised the accuracy of wimbush so stop making things up. secondly yes he can certainly play either of those positions. do they require a different skill set ? yes. in the middle of the season as we are now he certainly would and could be doing them at the most basic of levels. his mere presence on the field would require defenses to be accountable for him and the multitude of options that presence presents. pretty basic stuff for anyone with even average football knowledge. i get that for you its well above your level of knowledge and understanding of the game. don't feel bad though as there is an enormous amount of knowledge to be gained for you if you choose to educate yourself.

They were in fact from a QB position when teams played him honest. As in the accounting for his passing. Big lanes open up and he'd take off.

Rushing stats are...

no one said he would be amazing. were his numbers this year as a running back ? dumb argument but the norm from the uneducated like yourself.

Rushing stats are...

you referred to him as " clumsy and heavy footed ". if he's that he's that regardless of position.

Lol....definitely a possibility. Half the folk here have started Montana/Book comparison talk in someway shape or form. I hate comparisons like that. It's never fair to the campared and the comparable.
!!!

Gary Godsey imo

Here is my take of Wimbush as a runner. I can't comment on how agile Wimbush is as I do not watch enough ND games. What he reminds me of a lot is JT Barrett. Barrett like Wimbush is not the fastest of people. What made Barrett a great spread & shred is he was very adept at picking up a couple extra yards on his own through power and doing that intangible stuff that some RB's just have. So a situation where you think you have won RPS on 1st down instead of 2nd and 9, is 2nd and 7, a draw. Or worse a draw turns into a win as 2nd and 7 turns into 2nd and 5. It was those little victories that allowed OSU to be so effective. I saw a lot of the same moxie in Wimbush where the tackler has formed up but Wimbush gets extra. That is why I thought the idea of Wimbush as a 2 down RB might be useful. H back is a lot harder as other than jet sweep, wildcat, or ahem pass from him are the only solutions. The only pass plays you could do are gadgets as Wimbush never had to run much less sell a route.

I'd love to see him commit his athleticism to another position and work his ass off in the weight room this winter to convert his body. I think he could be a legitimate contributor elsewhere on the offense.

That said, with the abundance of teams annually that are in need of help at QB, it's more likely that Brandon graduates and transfers at season's end, for the opportunity to play elsewhere... He's 13-3 as a starter. A team in need of a quarterback will come knocking.

Expect Ian Book, Phil Jurkovec to me the #1 and #2 heading into next year... And honestly, for the future of the program, I don't think that's the worst thing.

A note on Jurkovec while I'm on the topic... Man do I hope that kid is the passer he's billed to be, because he certainly isn't fast. Difference between watching him and Ian Book run the read option (it was only one play) was night and day. He's mobile, but he certainly isn't making you pay with his legs at the college level. Hopefully he's the gunslinger we saw on his high school film!

I rewatched some of his film and he does not appear to be fast but he seems to run by guys . not sure if it is the talent level of the teams they played against

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT