ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on a rotating Pac-12 opponent in place of Stanford?

IrishFan1989

ND Fan
Aug 28, 2019
I thought it would a possible idea to explore in the future. For example, lets say next season and 2021, the Irish play Washington St. in South Bend in 2020, then close out the season in Pullman for 2021. Then the next two years it's UCLA, followed by Oregon in the same pattern, and then another.

It would still allow the Irish to end the season on the road in the West Coast, but give variety to who is played at the end of the odd numbered years. It would of course have no effect on USC as we would still play them every year, but rather as a way to drop Stanford for awhile and play in areas that the Irish have not played in a long time (like the state of Oregon), have not played at (Pullman, WA), or a location that they likely won't play at (Rose Bowl).

Alternate SEC and PAC12. drop SU and USC as annual opponents.

Why though? I like the Stanford Rivalry and I would think the coaches would like the thought of playing the same team yearly...... as you can more or less know what to expect against Stanford..... if you are switching between Stanford to Oregon you may have to introduce more schematics. . . our schedule is already tough enough.... no need to look for more reasons to make it harder.

I thought it would a possible idea to explore in the future. For example, lets say next season and 2021, the Irish play Washington St. in South Bend in 2020, then close out the season in Pullman for 2021.

Martin Stadium has a capacity of less than 33,000. Late November weather in Pullman can be awful. Yeah, ND needs to do this.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ND used to play other PAC 12 opponents I attended Wash in Seattle in 2008 and have seen Wash St in 2003. The ACC agreement along with conferences playing 9 conference games have limited flexibility.

Is ND the only program that ends its schedule on the road every year? @USC and @Tree.

Reactions: chaseball
If the P12 cannot get it together, no one OOC will want them. The conference-is a disaster.

Foolish.

First of all it's a direct competition from a recruiting stand point.

If they can get enrolled at Stanford they can get in at ND.

We recruit a lot of the same kids.

It's a no brainer for this game to be played yearly.

The only wish is that USC and Stanford come to South Bend in the winter at times.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Martin Stadium has a capacity of less than 33,000. Late November weather in Pullman can be awful. Yeah, ND needs to do this.

It just happened to be the first one to come to mind (It was due to Deon McIntosh transferring there). They could always do Washington in Seattle.

Keep both: recruit in northern (Stanford) and southern California (USC). They’re like 2 separate states.

Cal is always an option too since it's the same area.

The irish have alrady dropped their biggest rival

Nope. USC is our biggest rival. USC and Navy will always be not negotiable and remain on the schedule.

It just happened to be the first one to come to mind (It was due to Deon McIntosh transferring there). They could always do Washington in Seattle.

Nope. USC is our biggest rival. USC and Navy will always be not negotiable and remain on the schedule.
Not in my house

I don’t have a problem playing a home and home with Washington State but definitely not in Pullman in November.

ND used to play other PAC 12 opponents I attended Wash in Seattle in 2008 and have seen Wash St in 2003. The ACC agreement along with conferences playing 9 conference games have limited flexibility.

Is ND the only program that ends its schedule on the road every year? @USC and @Tree.

Prior to the Stanford/USC final game, we played at Miami alternate years for quite awhile.

I thought it would a possible idea to explore in the future. For example, lets say next season and 2021, the Irish play Washington St. in South Bend in 2020, then close out the season in Pullman for 2021. Then the next two years it's UCLA, followed by Oregon in the same pattern, and then another.

It would still allow the Irish to end the season on the road in the West Coast, but give variety to who is played at the end of the odd numbered years. It would of course have no effect on USC as we would still play them every year, but rather as a way to drop Stanford for awhile and play in areas that the Irish have not played in a long time (like the state of Oregon), have not played at (Pullman, WA), or a location that they likely won't play at (Rose Bowl).
No

Makes sense but WAZU is not a fertile groumd for talent and if I remember the stadium is small

I like it, most CFB fans don’t even think of ND/Stanford than a rivalry. I hate the trees and couldn’t care less if ND ever played them again

Reactions: IrishFan1989

It is a great idea but lets wait until we beat Stanford five straight times first and put them in their place.

Reactions: nemeth#5
I don’t know. It’s not a bad idea. Heck they dropped Purdue and Mich st. Those two teams were bigger rivals than Stanford. I’m not sure how they could work it out. If they did come up with a plan, I wouldn’t mind seeing a them play another team out west.

Lately the Stanford game has been a great one as they displaced Michigan and Michigan State as one of the most competitive games. also they helped BK's resume by winning the Rose Bowl after the 2012 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT