ADVERTISEMENT

the "Play Like a Champion" sign entering the tunnel....

Harpo Marxist

I've posted how many times?
Sep 11, 2002
needs to be replaced. Here's a chance to voice your suggestions....I've got one... "Thanks for Participating".

Reactions: Bodizephax
Go ahead. Make that suggestion to the players while they are working their butts off in class and on the practice field and you are sitting behind a computer. The pure ignorance on this board never ceases to amaze me.

Don't criticize or make any snarky comments about Notre Dame. What do you think this is, a Notre Dame message board?
I'm a 50 year ND fan...so long dry spells aren't new to me....I thought I had paid my due s on a free message board....my humor is getting crusty and crotchety these days.

Last edited:
After every home game, the players meet their families just inside of Gate "E". If you wait about 45 minutes after the game ends, you can see and maybe talk to the players. I strongly urge you to make a trip to South Bend for the Miami or VT game, wait at Gate "E" after the game, and make the suggestion to the players and their families of the new sign. Then, you can tell them you earned the right to be sarcastic. Let me know how it all works out. You think the players go out and try to lose? You think they have no heart and don't put in the hours to succeed? The players are the ones who tap that sign for inspiration and motivation. What do you think the players, you know, the ones who put in the work, think of sarcastic comments and fans like this?

Reactions: greengael
After every home game, the players meet their families just inside of Gate "E". If you wait about 45 minutes after the game ends, you can see and maybe talk to the players. I strongly urge you to make a trip to South Bend for the Miami or VT game, wait at Gate "E" after the game, and make the suggestion to the players and their families of the new sign. Then, you can tell them you earned the right to be sarcastic. Let me know how it all works out. You think the players go out and try to lose? You think they have no heart and don't put in the hours to succeed? The players are the ones who tap that sign for inspiration and motivation. What do you think the players, you know, the ones who put in the work, think of sarcastic comments and fans like this?
Why not just make this your auto-response to any negative comment here on the message board? If things on here were as you like it to be, it would be a very dull and boring experience.

Just wondering...where is the appropriate place to vent as a frustrated ND fan in your mind? If players (assuming they actually read the posts here) can't take criticism then they need to get the hell out of sports.

When I was the age of these players...I was serving this country in a hostile environment with many others my age. My family was not there to hug or greet me. I did get to talk to them on a field phone every couple of months or so. We the troops provided all of the encouragement and fellowship to each other that was available...and sarcasm and snarky humor was plentiful...but we knew that that that was all it was intended for or worth....to break the monotony. So lighten up, Francis....this is a free message board and you are getting exactly what you have paid for.

What does your military experience have to do with the topic? Nothing. Those who can't often criticize those who can. Put in their hours for the ego of the fans like you. I defy you to suggest your sign to a player or their family member then tell them to lighten up. I know your original post sounded like a good idea at the time, but, in retrospect, you now have to defend it. I have a lot more respect for our kids than to make some wise ass comment about their play and ability.

What does your military experience have to do with the topic? Nothing. Those who can't often criticize those who can. Put in their hours for the ego of the fans like you. I defy you to suggest your sign to a player or their family member then tell them to lighten up. I know your original post sounded like a good idea at the time, but, in retrospect, you now have to defend it. I have a lot more respect for our kids than to make some wise ass comment about their play and ability.[/QUOTE
I don't view the players in quite the same way you do...as emotionally weak, sentimentally driven nutless wonders. I presume them to be men...willing and able to take what comes...driven to get better...with or without their parents visiting after games..You on the other hand, seem to be both thin-skinned and easily offended.....This is a free message board...if you can't handle it...pay $10 on a safe space board.

Actually, think anyone who has a hissy fit over someone disagreeing with them is thin skinned. :D

This board has been a hotbed of negativity since the Weis era. Yes, Irish football is currently a hot mess and I get the frustration and fans wanting change. I also think batching about uniforms, traditions and other posters that don't agree with a particular sentiment just venting overkill. Think Irish fans could at least be civil to one another. If you want to be grumpy take it out on the Wolvie posters that have infested the board with snarky posts.

I hope that the Irish come out

of the tunnel after hitting the sign and send Miami home with a loss.

I also think unless Kelly decides to move on, he'll be leading the team out of said tunnel in 2017.

Go Irish! Beat Miami!!

.......and to the Wolvie that said the B1G owned the Irish:

204-105-14 and it isn't the B1G with the 204 wins.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/nd/big10.shtml

No....

See you're being ignorant to this

Yep..they work hard and put lots of time in.

But, but, but,
The coach and staff are NOT keeping up his end of the play like a champion bargain.

Reactions: Nocalirish
I gave you all the info you need Harpo to try out your sarcastic wit on the players and their families. Time and location. We will see how they respond. It's much safer to be witty on an anonymous free message board where anyone is free to post idiotic comments and not be held accountable. It's free. It's anonymous. Right up your alley. It's just the place to hide behind a keyboard and not use the God given ability to self police content. I find your original comment insulting to the players. You find it extremely witty. Figure what poster the players would rather have as a fan. This is just a bad as the comment a couple of weeks ago questioning the players heart. Yep, I'm very protective of our players and students. I have their back. You jump on the pile. I'm angry at BK and sometimes the players but I know where and when to draw the line. I never say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to another poster, player, or coach in person. How about you?

I'm a 50 year ND fan...so long dry spells aren't new to me....I thought I had paid my due s on a free message board....my humor is getting crusty and crotchety these days.
You don't need to insult the players who do go to class, participate in the community, and plays hard. If anyone is to be blamed it is the coaches and administration

Holtz was the one who put the sign up. It should have came down when ND forced him out in 1996. Sad day. The day ND Football as we knew it was killed from within.

tumblr_m8l60jLcij1ra5p9wo1_500.gif

You know, so many posters, like the OP have no clue how much time, effort and desire are put in by these players and the coaches too for that matter. They think they do, but they don't. They take the losses hard. Their families are affected too.

We all want to win, but before you criticize these great athletes, read this quote from Teddy Roosevelt:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

needs to be replaced. Here's a chance to voice your suggestions....I've got one... "Thanks for Participating".

the "Play Like a Champion" sign entering the tunnel....needs to come down until players hit their opponent harder than they do the sign

toby smart

to the board what your alias's were.

every post has the same overtone

geez, Sometimes the posters here are so freakin naive.

toby smart

to the board what your alias's were.

every post has the same overtone

geez, Sometimes the posters here are so freakin naive.

Same overtone? You mean like all the "anti-Kelly" posters who post the same exact thing 24/7? You mean the tone of my comments supporting the players 100%, especially now in this rough patch? You mean the attitude I have for childish, middle school comments disguised as childish, middle school insults about players, staff, and administrators that would never be said in a personal face to face meeting? You mean my positive tone of going to all the home games, having a blast, supporting the players, and not living a self absorbed, ego driven life of gloom over a college football game? You mean my comments about not being happy with the game day coaching of BK but not willing to say anything on an anonymous message board that I wouldn't say in person? What exactly has your skinny jeans all bunched up?

Reactions: hvillebill
Same overtone? You mean like all the "anti-Kelly" posters who post the same exact thing 24/7? You mean the tone of my comments supporting the players 100%, especially now in this rough patch? You mean the attitude I have for childish, middle school comments disguised as childish, middle school insults about players, staff, and administrators that would never be said in a personal face to face meeting? You mean my positive tone of going to all the home games, having a blast, supporting the players, and not living a self absorbed, ego driven life of gloom over a college football game? You mean my comments about not being happy with the game day coaching of BK but not willing to say anything on an anonymous message board that I wouldn't say in person? What exactly has your skinny jeans all bunched up?
Deputy FIfe.....you can put the whistle away....

How does it feel, at this stage of your life, to post everyday on an anonymous free message board, bitching, crying, complaining, and criticizing the effort of young players? It must be tough to be you, living life through a college football team. If all this is so stressful, take up Bridge or something to keep your mind of this current slide. I support the players 100% and I'm pretty damn sure they all appreciate that.

but in your consistant subtle way, with this ID, employing a more subdued approach you try to do the character assassination thing; same motive with different technique. The vulgar aggressive approach had to be put aside because the prophetic, 'the truth will find you out' has voided that offensive. So with no supporting argument on his behalf of your 'Man', the tactic will be to disparage or discredit the character of fans who are also expressing the 'sick and tired of being sick and tired'.

This is why I can feel compassion for Kelly's situation but I cannot respect the guy because of these censure attempts. He must be a very insecure and controlling persona w/o the natural confidences in his ability to succeed. Arrogance is not confidence.

PS: To be precise, you do not fool this poster. And you can continuously fool some of the posters some of the time but you cannot fool all of the posters all of the time. I trust in the intelligence of this forum not to be easily decieved. 'the truth will find you out'.

now you go on ignore with the 'rest of you!'

Last edited:
Regarding the sign and the OP, my guess is the players have more of Harpo's attitude than Toby's. There's plenty of snark rolling in their dorm rooms these days. They know they're sucking right now and expect to be called out.

That doesn't mean we don't support them.

but in your consistant subtle way, with this ID, employing a more subdued approach you try to do the character assassination thing; same motive with different technique. The vulgar aggressive approach had to be put aside because the prophetic, 'the truth will find you out' has voided that offensive. So with no supporting argument on his behalf of your 'Man', the tactic will be to disparage or discredit the character of fans who are also expressing the 'sick and tired of being sick and tired'.

This is why I can feel compassion for Kelly's situation but I cannot respect the guy because of these censure attempts. He must be a very insecure and controlling persona w/o the natural confidences in his ability to succeed. Arrogance is not confidence.

PS: To be precise, you do not fool this poster. And you can continuously fool some of the posters some of the time but you cannot fool all of the posters all of the time. I trust in the intelligence of this forum not to be easily decieved. 'the truth will find you out'.

now you go on ignore with the 'rest of you!'

whampic.jpg

How does it feel, at this stage of your life, to post everyday on an anonymous free message board, bitching, crying, complaining, and criticizing the effort of young players? It must be tough to be you, living life through a college football team. If all this is so stressful, take up Bridge or something to keep your mind of this current slide. I support the players 100% and I'm pretty damn sure they all appreciate that.
one minute you're Barney Fife...blowing on your whistle while trying to direct traffic at the only intersection here in Mayberry....the next minute, you're a drama queen in need of a Kleenex. You are getting your money's worth on this free message board.

It's alright. You don't matter. I don't matter. None of this matters. The only thing that does matter are the players.

I don't understand why college players are immune from critique. The idea of replacing the sign is absurd. However, critiquing the players performance is fine. The players are to blame as well as the coaching staff. It's harder at ND is no excuse for poor tackling, lack of blocking, low enthusiasm, and ego. There is no way a team full of four star players being 2-5 is 100% coaching. ND players should be better this season than 2-5 without a coach. The problem is lack of 100% effort on the behalf of some players and a coaching staff that cannot find the holes or fix the holes. Yes, the coaches are more to blame, but I'm sick of the players always getting off the hook. Yes, if Jim Harbaugh was our coach we'd be ranked #2 right now, but that does not make the current team free from critique.

Last edited:
Disagree. 18-22 year old kids, who are the epitome of the term "student-athlete" should not be criticized on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT