ADVERTISEMENT

The most horrendous play call ever

Awww.. it's so hard. You'll be OK. Try not to be such a drama queen. Reese is not good as an OC. It is what it is . And this is a ND football internet chat board. We don't need permission from you to state an opinion.
Email Nick Saban.

Let him know.

You're making a fool of yourself and it's not the first time.
Why don't you detail for us what your game plan would have looked like today.

And while you are at it, apply to be an OC in the SEC or Big 10 during 2024.

Show us all how it is done.

I don’t make 1.9 million dollars and Tommy does. Michigan sure was creative and made Alabama look foolish at times in the passing game

IMO, Tommy and Nick did a good job getting that offense to click as much as it did, considering they had to use Milroe as their QB. The guy is beast when he runs, but wrt passing, he is only a JAG.

Really frustrated and cynical with a program that has has been spinning their wheels for 30 years and going absolutely nowhere and insulting its fans by pissing on them and calling it rain.
GO F YOURSELF. You are a pathetic loser.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Why don't you detail for us what your game plan would have looked like today.

And while you are at it, apply to be an OC in the SEC or Big 10 during 2024.

Show us all how it is done.
Isn’t that the whole point of a message board? To bitch and moan and throw stones? It’s like politics, we all criticize sleepy Joe and his geriatric self but nobody is running for president.

Zero creativity? How would your game plan for Michigan and play calling differ from Tommy Rees?
On Bama's last drive in regulation the run and outside qb run had been unstoppable. Bama gets to midfield and changes gears to three passes.

Bama was up 7 with 2 min left. One more first down would let them ice the game with a FG attempt.

Of course he is making this up to absolve Rees of any blame but even Saban said it was Rees’s call in postgame press conference

“We called timeout because we had a bad look. We had a good look on the first one, they must’ve known it,” explained Saban. “Tommy [Rees] felt like the best thing that we could do was have a quarterback run... but we didn’t get a block so it didn’t work. We didn’t execute it very well, so it didn’t work.”
Now don't let facts get in the way for sjb75 narrative.

Reactions: DublinND
Of course he is making this up to absolve Rees of any blame but even Saban said it was Rees’s call in postgame press conference

“We called timeout because we had a bad look. We had a good look on the first one, they must’ve known it,” explained Saban. “Tommy [Rees] felt like the best thing that we could do was have a quarterback run... but we didn’t get a block so it didn’t work. We didn’t execute it very well, so it didn’t work.”
And you think Saban agreed with the call. I think yes. Saban said it wasn't executed properly, which was clear. So the players don't execute, Saban allows to play to be called, yet idiots on this board blame the OC, showing once again how little they know. And for the record, it was the defense that cost AL the game. Up 7 with 3 minutes to go and allowed a 75 yard drive. Then gashed in OT. Face it, AL is not that good compared to most prior years, and FSU should have been in. Both 1 loss teams are out.

And you think Saban agreed with the call. I think yes. Saban said it wasn't executed properly, which was clear. So the players don't execute, Saban allows to play to be called, yet idiots on this board blame the OC, showing once again how little they know. And for the record, it was the defense that cost AL the game. Up 7 with 3 minutes to go and allowed a 75 yard drive. Then gashed in OT. Face it, AL is not that good compared to most prior years, and FSU should have been in. Both 1 loss teams are out.
This made me laugh

Michigan was the better team. It’s that simple. Bama is still very good. But Michigan was hungry and really wanted this game.
Good take. I think the loathing many here have for UM, and for Harbaugh in particular, clouds their judgment as to what a good football team they are. I don't like what Harbaugh did with the signal stealing thing, but I didn't think it was the crime of the century. Was it really worse than all the SEC schools that load up their rosters with players who can barely read or write and don't go to class, but happen to be really good football players?

Harbaugh is a strange guy and I get how he can rub people the wrong way, but I give him credit for being a really good football coach. I also give him credit for being true to his philosophy that football games are won in the trenches. They beat up Alabama yesterday. You don't often see that with Saban's teams.

That said, I will root for UW in the championship game. It will be a tall order for them to beat UM, but I think Penix and UW's receivers may give UM fits. Milroe isn't a good enough passer of the football for Bama to have beaten UM. That changes with Penix. The guy can sling the ball.

Georgia beats AL 8-10X and beats FSU 10-10x

Reactions: edub72
Uhhh ok….

What is your experience as a college OC?
Why always default to this? Do you have to be a chef to know you don’t like a particular meal as prepared? Do you have to be a Congressman to know some are absolutely lunatics? I happen to respect what Rees has accomplished in football, and I appreciate the many knowledgeable football people who talk about his football intellect. But I still think that was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a critical football moment, and Rees owns it. Michigan loaded the box with eight defenders, and the Alabama OL had been dominated by Michigan’s DL most of the game, and running straight into the teeth of the defense was bizarre in my opinion. Assuming Saban stays another year or so, it will be interesting to see if Rees and the DC are there next season.

Why always default to this? Do you have to be a chef to know you don’t like a particular meal as prepared? Do you have to be a Congressman to know some are absolutely lunatics? I happen to respect what Rees has accomplished in football, and I appreciate the many knowledgeable football people who talk about his football intellect. But I still think that was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a critical football moment, and Rees owns it. Michigan loaded the box with eight defenders, and the Alabama OL had been dominated by Michigan’s DL most of the game, and running straight into the teeth of the defense was bizarre in my opinion. Assuming Saban stays another year or so, it will be interesting to see if Rees and the DC are there next season.

Saban said it was a straight up running play, but some believe he was covering for Milroe not reading the pass option to the left. The low snap threw the timing off a bit and forced Milroe to take his eyes away from developing blocking. Some claim if he had simply followed his pulling lineman over to the left side, he would have easily scored, as Michigan's edge defender had run too far into the backfield to make a play.

Saban said it was a straight up running play, but some believe he was covering for Milroe not reading the pass option to the left. The low snap threw the timing off a bit and forced Milroe to take his eyes away from developing blocking. Some claim if he had simply followed his pulling lineman over to the left side, he would have easily scored, as Michigan's edge defender had run too far into the backfield to make a play.
Ivan, have you watched the film on this play?

The snap on the last play was very low. After that, the plan went out the window.

I don’t know if there was a pass option, but I have seen a lot of people say if he goes left he scores. Don’t buy that at all. Sandstrill could’ve made that play I didn’t think he over ran that. If Milroe had gone left immediately he would’ve swallowed it. Latham got destroyed. The middle of the line got no push. That play was going no where.

The pulling guard didn’t even block anybody

Reactions: Telx1
But you don't think that Saban had the final say in running the play? Come on man, it was 4th down following a TO, no don't Saban was on board. He described it in his post game. The play was agreed to, the execution was poor, starting with the snap. None of us know the AL offense or the AL personnel, sometimes you have to credit the opponent, but this board doesn't, the narrative of the haters is always the same; Rees sucks, fire the OC ...

But you don't think that Saban had the final say in running the play? Come on man, it was 4th down following a TO, no don't Saban was on board. He described it in his post game. The play was agreed to, the execution was poor, starting with the snap. None of us know the AL offense or the AL personnel, sometimes you have to credit the opponent, but this board doesn't, the narrative of the haters is always the same; Rees sucks, fire the OC ...
Pretty clear I’m not a Rees hater. So let’s take that off the table. Some folks are arguing that the call was an RPO to the left, and the low snap from center caused Milroe to panic and run up the middle. If that was the call, then I have no criticism of it. I base my opinion on what I saw and what Saban said after the game. It was Rees call to run and the players failed to execute. And yes, Saban approved the call. If this was ND with Kelly, we’d be posting that Kelly blamed Rees and the players and everyone other than himself. With Saban’s deserved stature, some of the narrative Is that he’s covering for his center and QB. Maybe we’ll get a more detailed Explanation in the coming days, but I’m taking Saban’s statement at face value for now.

Pretty clear I’m not a Rees hater. So let’s take that off the table. Some folks are arguing that the call was an RPO to the left, and the low snap from center caused Milroe to panic and run up the middle. If that was the call, then I have no criticism of it. I base my opinion on what I saw and what Saban said after the game. It was Rees call to run and the players failed to execute. And yes, Saban approved the call. If this was ND with Kelly, we’d be posting that Kelly blamed Rees and the players and everyone other than himself. With Saban’s deserved stature, some of the narrative Is that he’s covering for his center and QB. Maybe we’ll get a more detailed Explanation in the coming days, but I’m taking Saban’s statement at face value for now.
I agree with the season on the line, a straight run there is not ideal.

Had it been 3rd down I think it would’ve been fine.

Very bad if no pass option there.

if there was a pass option I think Saban and Milroe were just protecting the center.

Reactions: Telx1
IMO, Tommy and Nick did a good job getting that offense to click as much as it did, considering they had to use Milroe as their QB. The guy is beast when he runs, but wrt passing, he is only a JAG.
Funny everyone roasted O’Brien for saying the kid wasn’t a QB. While I’m not sure that was the tact O’Brien shoulda used im
Also not sold on Milroe

And Saban said it is one of their 2-point plays, since the ball is on the 3 yard line. My point is that there can be no doubt that it went through Saban, it didn't work due to execution and/or MI defense. And Saban admitted they expected pressure. My other overall point is there always seems to be OC bashing when their is a loss, but that is not the case. None of us know the personnel or the offense. Just watch how fast some in this board bash Denbrock next year

And Saban said it is one of their 2-point plays, since the ball is on the 3 yard line. My point is that there can be no doubt that it went through Saban, it didn't work due to execution and/or MI defense. And Saban admitted they expected pressure. My other overall point is there always seems to be OC bashing when their is a loss, but that is not the case. None of us know the personnel or the offense. Just watch how fast some in this board bash Denbrock next year
Rees did a great job in the second half of the season. I disagree with that playcall if it was a straight run but at the end of the day they didn’t execute it plain and simple.

Bama came out with a plan. It wasn’t working. They adjusted and it worked and they almost won a game they shouldn’t have won , or even been in IMO

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The final play looked like the same QB trap draw that Milroe ran for over twenty yards down inside the Michigan five that led to the first Bama 4th quarter lead. The snap was low, but Milroe has to be ready for a low snap at this point in the season.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The final play looked like the same QB trap draw that Milroe ran for over twenty yards down inside the Michigan five that led to the first Bama 4th quarter lead. The snap was low, but Milroe has to be ready for a low snap at this point in the season.
They ran a few traps. But this was a different play.

Milroe is the fastest guy on field ad you run him straight into the back of the center. Just completely idiotic.
If you watch the replay, #0 for Michigan did his job by not allowing Milroe to run outside, forcing the ball to the middle where the defensive help was.

If you watch the replay, #0 for Michigan did his job by not allowing Milroe to run outside, forcing the ball to the middle where the defensive help was.

Milroe seemed to run directly over center, while the blocking looked like he should have veered over the left tackle. I am not sure it would have worked, as Michigan was selling out to stop a Milroe run.

Tim Hasselback did a great breakdown of the final play on ESPN. It was nice to listen to an educated, actual football voice talk about the play, rather than what you read from certain posters here..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT