ADVERTISEMENT

The good, not so good, and what to improve

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
Special teams have been pretty special with 5 blocked punts and ND has not given up much on returns. Field goal kicking has been pretty good.
AE should be the feature back from now on. He was in pure beast mode today.
Clone Foskey enough said.
The wide outs performed well all day.
Now, the other part: for some reason this team cannot put other teams away. How many times has ND had big leads than take the foot off of the pedal. Inexcusable penalty yards because of focus issues. I saw the back open out of the back field open by 10 yards instead let’s throw to a double covered receiver.
forget the three man front on defense all together every time this happens something bad happens.
How about trying some wildcat plays or shuttle passes.
The Cuse is a good team but probably a little beat up after the game last week.
The biggest improvement is on the coaching staff to get the players up every week as there seems to be major let downs from week to week after a good outing.
I doubt if there will be a let down for Cleamson game and I really think ND will win it because they have QB issues so it might be good to bring pressure.
USC struggles to stop the run and reminds me a lot of UNC as long as ND does not have any lapses in focus than they should win out.
How many times has this team shoot itself in the foot with senseless mistakes or bone headed misread on low percentage throws when you only three yards on third down just get enough to keep the drive going.
Focus,focus,focus, focus

Special teams have been pretty special with 5 blocked punts and ND has not given up much on returns. Field goal kicking has been pretty good.
Now, the other part: for some reason this team cannot put other teams away. How many times has ND had big leads than take the foot off of the pedal. Inexcusable penalty yards because of focus issues. I saw the back open out of the back field open by 10 yards instead let’s throw to a double covered receiver.
forget the three man front on defense all together every time this happens something bad happens.
The biggest improvement is on the coaching staff to get the players up every week as there seems to be major let downs from week to week after a good outing.
I doubt if there will be a let down for Cleamson game and I really think ND will win it because they have QB issues so it might be good to bring pressure.
USC struggles to stop the run and reminds me a lot of UNC as long as ND does not have any lapses in focus than they should win out.
How many times has this team shoot itself in the foot with senseless mistakes or bone headed misread on low percentage throws when you only three yards on third down just get enough to keep the drive going.
Focus,focus,focus, focus
I agree about the penalties and senseless mistakes, but beating Clemson and USC with sub-par QB play will be a daunting task.

9 for 19 when your running game is blowing them back at 5 yards a clip is terrible and there’s no way that ND can survive with similar performances.

Measurable's are critical and with the size of OL and DL linemen in today’s game, 6’4” should be your minimum for a QB unless he’s got unique talent.

USC is at home which is never easy

I agree about the penalties and senseless mistakes, but beating Clemson and USC with sub-par QB play will be a daunting task.

9 for 19 when your running game is blowing them back at 5 yards a clip is terrible and there’s no way that ND can survive with similar performances.

Measurable's are critical and with the size of OL and DL linemen in today’s game, 6’4” should be your minimum for a QB unless he’s got unique talent.

USC is at home which is never easy
I agree with most here but the 6'4" height minimum is excessive

Reactions: TheSodFather
Was Colzie finally healthy today or just non existent for the first half of the season. Think you gotta go with Jayden, Styles, Colzie, Tobias and Lenzy as #5.

Reactions: Telx1 and ftnfan62
After great first half (e.g. yards given up on defense) we are still not getting second half adjustments as well as we should. Need to improve.

Regarding the run game ... in the first half we were succeeding in runs up the middle with Estime and Diggs, not so good with runs outside. At the half, Syracuse seems to have adjusted and started clogging the middle making runs up the middle more difficult ... but we still aren't fast enough to go outside.

IMO, here is where a 2 back alignment might work (we did use an I formation at the very beginning of the game) ... line up with 2 RBs, with the quicker of the 2 being the tail back ... and send the FB up the middle and the TB around the corner or off tackle. The threat of being hit either in the middle or outside would have forced Cuse to abandon clogging the middle.

I don't know, I don't think there's a whole lot to improve on. That was a pretty good win. Sure, everyone could be better, like in a million different ways. But you could say that about just about every team, other than Bama or UGA. So this was definitely the good ND, and not the bad one, and probably the best win of the season. And Clemson now looking very beatable...

There's a common refrain on these boards that we don't put other teams away, but I would argue that we did put Syracuse away. We built a nice lead, and they counter punched, just like any other decent team would be expected to do. But when they pulled to within one score. Our defense and special teams responded and helped clinch the win.

We were helped because Shrader couldn't pass to save his life, and when Del Rio Wilson came in, his receivers dropped two or three catchable balls.

Focus,focus,focus, focus
Simple reason why we can’t put teams away is that DP is struggling to find open WRs…so many missed throws thus far

So you read, “unless he’s got unique talent” and disagree with it ?

So you read, “unless he’s got unique talent” and disagree with it ?
Yes I disagree with it

If you are 6'3" or 6'2" with average talent you can be very successful.

Book was 6' and had no unique talent and he was successful

So yes I read what you wrote and I disagree with you

Yes I disagree with it

If you are 6'3" or 6'2" with average talent you can be very successful.

Book was 6' and had no unique talent and he was successful

So yes I read what you wrote and I disagree with you
Average talent won’t get you to the playoffs.

You already admitted that

The NFL doesn’t draft QB’s with average talent who make NFL rosrters.

Book was far from average !

Average talent won’t get you to the playoffs.

You already admitted that

The NFL doesn’t draft QB’s with average talent who make NFL rosrters.

Book was far from average !
Disagree again.

Book does not have unique talent. Your words. Not mine. What is unique about him

And I didnt admit that. Book was average. So was cook and browning who also made the Playoff

I said we couldnt win a Title without an elite QB

It was a good win; but we have Clemson and USC coming up. Not sure we can impose our will running the ball like today. We will need better QB play.

Why wouldn't ND always go with a 2 back set of Diggs and Estime, with Tyree in the slot and single TE being Mayer???

This seems like the ND identity. The most effective way the Irish can play. But as others have said, it might not be enough against better teams like Clemson and USC.

DP isn't good enough. I'm not sure about the receiving corps either. But this was a solid win against a decent team. Freeman and Rees are evolving as well, getting the team to play more consistently.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Disagree again.

Book does not have unique talent. Your words. Not mine. What is unique about him

And I didnt admit that. Book was average. So was cook and browning who also made the Playoff

Average or unique talent? Two very different things. Book didn’t possess elite physical abilities and was horrendous to watch in the pocket but he was a gamer who had a knack for picking up first downs and winning games.

Average or unique talent? Two very different things. Book didn’t possess elite physical abilities and was horrendous to watch in the pocket but he was a gamer who had a knack for picking up first downs and winning games.
He said minimum height requirement should be 6'4" unless you have unique talent.

I disagreed. Book didn't have unique talent and was only 6 foot. You can be successful without his 6'4" argument.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
He said minimum height requirement should be 6'4" unless you have unique talent.

I disagreed. Book didn't have unique talent and was only 6 foot. You can be successful without his 6'4" argument.
Caleb Williams of USC is listed at 6-1. He looks closer to 6-feet. He can play.

I don't know, I don't think there's a whole lot to improve on. That was a pretty good win. Sure, everyone could be better, like in a million different ways. But you could say that about just about every team, other than Bama or UGA. So this was definitely the good ND, and not the bad one, and probably the best win of the season. And Clemson now looking very beatable...
I think we have a great opportunity to make a statement against Clemson.

What would the statement be?

When you lose to Marshall and Stanford at home, there will always be questions.

MF has the program going in the right direction. Recruiting will finish strong

This is a massive game
And after Clemson, there will be 3 more massive games. They're all massive.

If you lose to BC at home, it's massive.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Agreed. That was a pretty impressive win I would say. Not only that we beat SU by more than Clemson did, whatever that's worth... We just looked good today. Syracuse is pretty decent, and we were easily the superior team out there without any question.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Focus,focus,focus, focus
Syracuse let Clemson beat them twice ... they clearly had little left in the tank after that monumental effort in Death Valley.

Syracuse let Clemson beat them twice ... they clearly had little left in the tank after that monumental effort in Death Valley.
Agreed. They looked a little hungover. But both of our lines played very well too.

Disagree again.

Average QB’s don’t make NFL rosters, but you wouldn’t know that because you know nothing about football

Average QB’s don’t make NFL rosters, but you wouldn’t know that because you know nothing about football
So what is his unique talent?

Size no
Athleticism no
Arm strength no
Poise in the pocket no

Tell us

So what is his unique talent?

Size no
Athleticism no
Arm strength no
Poise in the pocket no

Tell us
Those who evaluate college athletes for a living drafted Book, and those who evaluate talent for a living determined that he was talented enough to make the roster of an NFL team.

Tell us what you do for a living and what qualifies you to evaluate college talent at the NFL level !

Those who evaluate college athletes for a living drafted Book, and those who evaluate talent for a living determined that he was talented enough to make the roster of an NFL team.

Tell us what you do for a living and what qualifies you to evaluate college talent at the NFL level !
What is his unique talent?

Answer the question.

It was your statement and words

What is his unique talent?

Answer the question.

It was your statement and words
His unique talent was obvious to those who evaluate talent for a living, the NFL

What are you qualifications when it comes to evaluating talent for the NFL

Please enlighten us

playing them after CU, that may have been an advantage. Syr. seems to peak vs Clemson, for some unknown reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT