ADVERTISEMENT

The Confidence factor. How would you mentally prepare the Team for Alabama or Clemson.?

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
I wasn't to thrilled with Coach Kelly when asked about his teams chances for the playoffs a few weeks ago.
He said " you need to be careful what you wish for" infering about the Irish playing Alabama.
But I have liked Coach Kellys approach the last few weeks bragging about his team and the Process.
I am sure he must be preparing the Irish to not just get into the playoffs but to win it all also.

*** If you are a coach or have coached football at a highschool level or above or if you are just an average deplorable like me---How would you use your words to motivate your team to take down a top level team ???

*** I would give a EPIC speech on the Thrill of Victory and the agony of defeat and I would have about twenty very pretty girls behind me while I gave my speech. I would also have a band to start playing the Notre Dame fight song when I was done. I would wear my old dress blues from my Marine corps days and a huge American flag in the background--The Patton or Chesty Puller effect.
I would tell them at the end I loved everyone of them and would want noone else at my side to go to battle with.
Everyone has their own style. Lets hear yours.
(Go Irish ! One game at a time. Beat USC !)
chesty.jpg

How far is it not the end zone?

Seems the same as back home.

I wasn't to thrilled with Coach Kelly when asked about his teams chances for the playoffs a few weeks ago.
He said " you need to be careful what you wish for" infering about the Irish playing Alabama.
But I have liked Coach Kellys approach the last few weeks bragging about his team and the Process.
I am sure he must be preparing the Irish to not just get into the playoffs but to win it all also.

*** If you are a coach or have coached football at a highschool level or above or if you are just an average deplorable like me---How would you use your words to motivate your team to take down a top level team ???

*** I would give a EPIC speech on the Thrill of Victory and the agony of defeat and I would have about twenty very pretty girls behind me while I gave my speech. I would also have a band to start playing the Notre Dame fight song when I was done. I would wear my old dress blues from my Marine corps days and a huge American flag in the background--The Patton or Chesty Puller effect.
I would tell them at the end I loved everyone of them and would want noone else at my side to go to battle with.
Everyone has their own style. Lets hear yours.
(Go Irish ! One game at a time. Beat USC !)
chesty.jpg
Cheese Steaks. Lots of em. And then tell em no more unless they win it all

Works every time

I would show excitement for The Plan to beat Clemson And say it’s based on weaknesses the staff has picked up on and now it’s up to them to execute it

I would bring Lou in and show videos of successful champions eating cheese steaks

We can beat Clemson and Bama. Our D will do fine. It’s our Offense that needs to be sharp.

Reactions: Kelso86
In & Out burgers for everyone on the team after the victory over UOJ. Win a championship and they will fly in more In&Out.
Show a replay of the Clem/Syr game beforr the playoff. Then show the 1st Half of Bama/Citadel before the NC game.

Reactions: theskibro
Bodi

A paratrooper mission for new recruits. First time jumping.
Young airborne recruit relating it to his father.

“Dad, I gotto the jump door, I just froze! I could not move”
“The jump Sgt. instructor became enraged, “Jump! Jump!””
“Dad i just froze”
“Finally the Sgt. yelled Son, you jump or I am gonna shove my #$@&, up yourr &$#@!”
Dad, “so did you jump?”
Son: Yes, I did, Well, a little at first!!”

Last edited:
If you have been given the talent and brains to get to play for ND then work hard enough as a team to go 12 and 0 and make it to the play offs for a chance for the first natty since 1988 . You had better not need any extra motivation. Leave it all on the field. GO IRISH!!!

If you have been given the talent and brains to get to play for ND then work hard enough as a team to go 12 and 0 and make it to the play offs for a chance for the first natty since 1988 . You had better not need any extra motivation. Leave it all on the field. GO IRISH!!!
I don't believe the poster asked about motivation. I think he was referring to mental preparedness. And per 2012, ND was not mentally prepared.

Assuming ND plays Clemson in the semifinals, I would obviously first prepare them for success during practice. For example, that ND defense should not let a freshman QB beat them. As good as the kid is, he will make mistakes. Before kick off, tell the team that if they play hard, smart and take it one play at a time, that they will win. Nobody expects us to win, but we are the better team. Now it is time to prove it, let’s go kick some ass!

I would use Coach Parseghian's famous approach that he used in more than one game. I would delay my entrance into the locker room, locked the door behind me, go to the front of the eager lads, and then pace back and forth in front of them while slamming the game plan into my hand. After about five to ten minutes I would say with a trembling voice, "Men what are you waiting for; let's go and kick their ass like we've practice all week!" If you need a peep talk to get ready to play Alabama or any team for the national championship, then you don't belong there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT