ADVERTISEMENT

TCU

TCU physicality on the DL surprised me. The Michigan OL was touted as one of the best in the country. But that's not what I saw yesterday.

The main impression I got was both teams have poor defenses. I expected a lot more here too from Michigan. But it became a shootout and TCU is better at that.

I expect GA to significantly beat TCU. The GA is solid, withstanding letting up so many points vs what I think is a legitimate OSU offense with a great college QB. Defense seems to be an issue for even elite teams right now.

The biggest general difference between college football and NFL for me has been quality of defense. In the NFL, defenses are fast and athletic. In college, offenses often are markedly more athletic and fasters than many defenses. Explaining why running, mobile QBs thrive in college but eventually get worn down in the NFL, where a pocket passer is more versatile and durable over time.

TCU physicality on the DL surprised me. The Michigan OL was touted as one of the best in the country. But that's not what I saw yesterday.

The main impression I got was both teams have poor defenses. I expected a lot more here too from Michigan. But it became a shootout and TCU is better at that.

I expect GA to significantly beat TCU. The GA is solid, withstanding letting up so many points vs what I think is a legitimate OSU offense with a great college QB. Defense seems to be an issue for even elite teams right now.

The biggest general difference between college football and NFL for me has been quality of defense. In the NFL, defenses are fast and athletic. In college, offenses often are markedly more athletic and fasters than many defenses. Explaining why running, mobile QBs thrive in college but eventually get worn down in the NFL, where a pocket passer is more versatile and durable over time.
Agree with the NFL College comparison … I recently starting watching some NFL with my son and the closing speed and sure tackling of defenders makes it a totally different game.

Reactions: bcnd
I thought both games were incredibly entertaining, but agree on the defenses. I think I heard them say Georgia was giving up an average of 11 points a game, but Ohio State lit them up. I thought Michigan was going to get over their slow start, but TCU just refused to break. All four teams just laid it all on the line yesterday.

I also happen to think Stroud should have won the Heisman, and it seemed like he was playing last night to prove that.

Reactions: bcnd and tbonesays

UGA and Ohio defenses weren’t exactly stellar yesterday

Both games were very entertaining yesterday. Today’s style of college football is so wide open , even really good defenses have a tough time keeping opponents from scoring. Michigan, Georgia and OSU have NFL talent throughout their perspective defenses. But in both games , stopping the offense was an uphill battle. As I look back on the ND/SC Gator bowl, it was quite remarkable how well the Irish defense played in the second half. SC had it rolling early on but ND adjusted and that played a huge part in the Irish victory. On the other hand, Michigan and OSU had no answers on defense and that is why both teams lost. At some point as a defense in a tight game has to make a key stop. If you don’t do that, you lose. Look at the ND / Southern Cal game. The Irish defense had no answers and ultimately it cost them. Bottom line ? In big games you need to have a defense that makes plays in critical moments.

Both games were very entertaining yesterday. Today’s style of college football is so wide open , even really good defenses have a tough time keeping opponents from scoring. Michigan, Georgia and OSU have NFL talent throughout their perspective defenses. But in both games , stopping the offense was an uphill battle. As I look back on the ND/SC Gator bowl, it was quite remarkable how well the Irish defense played in the second half. SC had it rolling early on but ND adjusted and that played a huge part in the Irish victory. On the other hand, Michigan and OSU had no answers on defense and that is why both teams lost. At some point as a defense in a tight game has to make a key stop. If you don’t do that, you lose. Look at the ND / Southern Cal game. The Irish defense had no answers and ultimately it cost them. Bottom line ? In big games you need to have a defense that makes plays in critical moments.
I felt all year that OSU's bad D would cost them when it mattered.

Perhaps we will find out of the Dawg D had not been tested or they just had a bad day in the Peach Bowl.

The CFP may be a slight advantage over the BCS for a team like TCU. UGA would probably throttle Duggan if they had a month with nothing to do but scout the Frogs.

Regardless, it was a joy to see them pull off the Fiesta Bowl upset. I put some purple mardi gras beads over my ND shirt and congratulated every TCU fan that I encountered.

Reactions: mmca
I think tOSU is good enough to score on anyone including UGA. But I don't now if that will be the same for TCU.....

Reactions: Kelso86
Agreed. You look at the history of playoff games, the defenses are notoriously bad. And it doesn't seem to matter how many 5 stars you got on that defense. The only exception I'd say is LSU when they won it all, but that was a truly exceptional defense and team with basically NFL guys. I wonder if the weeks off from playing is what hurts the defense the most.

I know Michigan got beat up on the line scrimmage by TCU. They gave up 263 yds rushing. TCU is a really good football team. Physical and fast.
And they did it with a roster full of 3 star recruits. Development and coaching.

Agreed. You look at the history of playoff games, the defenses are notoriously bad. And it doesn't seem to matter how many 5 stars you got on that defense. The only exception I'd say is LSU when they won it all, but that was a truly exceptional defense and team with basically NFL guys. I wonder if the weeks off from playing is what hurts the defense the most.

My take is it is easier for a few skilled athletes or even 1 to impact a defense that is anything but less than fully covered with speed and power. No way can a QB dominate a defense in the NFL like college...or a fast, agile back like Reggie Bush was.

You said it yourself about LSU basically having all NFL guys or something close to that.

I also marvel when I watch NFL defenses after college games. The closing speed is something else. Very few garbage yards after contact.

Just FYI to some who think this is an automatic Georgia win. Michigan trounced OSU on their home field. TCU beat Michigan by responding to challenge after challenge. Georgia beat a rejuvenated OSU team by 1 which could have gone the other way. I see TCU doing their thing and putting points on the board. I would love to see TCU knock off rhe reigning Champs.

Classic example of 2 things. Harbaugh is 1-6 in bowls, and they have lost CFP bowls, NY6 bowls and 2nd tier bowls. This Bowl preparation clearly is an issue.

This was also a case of looking past and opponent, and looking to Georgia. UM had already boat raced Ohio State, so they were clearly looking to Georgia, a team that smacked them last season. Michigan players in fact, said they were inspired this year, because of what Georgia did to them last season.

Besides not giving TCU any respect, they gave the 3-3 Stack no respect, that is a defense, designed to help out manned teams, create chaos and confusion with your blocking schemes. McCarthy said it they line up in 3-3, it was "smash mouth". And they could not run block them at all

Lastly, they were not sharp. "Philly Special" on 4th down, to start the game in the red area. You know against Georgia he takes the points, fumbling on the 1/2 yard line and 2 pick sixes? That is not a mentally prepared football team. When they woke up and settled in, TCU had enough cushion, and made just enough plays to hang on.

Classic example of 2 things. Harbaugh is 1-6 in bowls, and they have lost CFP bowls, NY6 bowls and 2nd tier bowls. This Bowl preparation clearly is an issue.

This was also a case of looking past and opponent, and looking to Georgia. UM had already boat raced Ohio State, so they were clearly looking to Georgia, a team that smacked them last season. Michigan players in fact, said they were inspired this year, because of what Georgia did to them last season.

Besides not giving TCU any respect, they gave the 3-3 Stack no respect, that is a defense, designed to help out manned teams, create chaos and confusion with your blocking schemes. McCarthy said it they line up in 3-3, it was "smash mouth". And they could not run block them at all

Lastly, they were not sharp. "Philly Special" on 4th down, to start the game in the red area. You know against Georgia he takes the points, fumbling on the 1/2 yard line and 2 pick sixes? That is not a mentally prepared football team. When they woke up and settled in, TCU had enough cushion, and made just enough plays to hang on.
you think a fullback enthusiast like JH would love to face a 3-3 alignment. Still TCU defends better than most give them credit for.

A shame we can't talk about the bowl losses, much. Under Brian Kelly we lost the Orange[BCS], Fiesta[2], Cotton[CFP], and fake-Rose[CFP].

TCU clearly the most talented team in the Big 12. And mostly 3 stars. But experienced. Patterson recruited well before he got canned and Dykes knew how to coach them. Duggan, Winters and Johnston probably the 3 of thes best players in the conference. Defense was average to above most of the season but those guys know how to win close games. Still amazed Duggan didn't get the ball in the last series against KState in the Big 12 championship game. But the GA QB is first class. And Dogs have a better D. Should be a great game.

Some are saying the refs gave up 263 yards rushing
Some, As in Michigan fans? They are notorious complainers!!!! I was at the game seated near UM fans and all they do is complain!!!!!!!! Been to Many Mich games and it's the same sad story!!! Complain, complain and complain if they're losing or were defeated!!!!!!!

Reactions: Kelso86

Always been that way...Always will be that way...

Perception.
It's just more glaring today because offense is played differently.

Does it really matter if in 1985 a team won 14-10 or a game today with a final score of 45-41?

It's all relative...it's just offense today are played differently.

More over...
College (and HS) still has wider hash marks than the NFL and the most important part...
The NFL has 32 teams with a 53 players roster.

College....just using D1 has 130 teams many with rosters approaching or exceeding 100 players.
That's not even counting D1AA, D2, D3

The NFL has always had the very best of the best. If you're good enough at your particular craft they will find you no matter who you're playing college for. It helps being with an elite as you might get a higher draft pick by association but in the end the NFL only wants to know how you can help them.

Reactions: banmate6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT