ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor and the Running Game

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
When he was at Stanford, they had one of the most explosive run games in CFB. They had a knack for getting their quick RBs past the line of scrimmage and in space... And their WRs we solid blockers downfield something that Alexander teaches very well. We have the talent along the offensive line! Tyree will be one of the fastest guys in CFB next year.

Who will be our breakout RB? Jafar, who has receiving skills seems to fit that mold... I really like Jahmir Smith's inside running -- he shows me he could be our force inside.

But I can't help thinking this might be Kyren Williams year. Is he the fastest RB after Tyree?

I’ve always felt that running back instincts are just that, instinctive. Techniques like how you hold the ball during inside and outside runs, use of the straight arm, setting up your blockers, etc... can all be coached, but I think you either have or don’t have the instincts necessary to be a really good back. Jafar may in fact have these instincts, but we’ve not seen enough of him healthy and running naturally and not guardedly to know. He showed very little in the way of running instincts this past season, but I appreciate he was recovering from a serious injury to his core. He appeared to me to just running the route as the play is drawn up, with literally no instincts for where the running lanes were developing. The running backs at Stanford during that six-eight year period were outstanding, as were their offensive lines and tight ends.

Agree with respect to Smith. Love his inside running with power. As for who might emerge, anyone I select is nothing more than pure guesswork on my part. Kyren or Tyree or C’Bo or ???

When he was at Stanford, they had one of the most explosive run games in CFB. They had a knack for getting their quick RBs past the line of scrimmage and in space... And their WRs we solid blockers downfield something that Alexander teaches very well. We have the talent along the offensive line! Tyree will be one of the fastest guys in CFB next year.

Who will be our breakout RB? Jafar, who has receiving skills seems to fit that mold... I really like Jahmir Smith's inside running -- he shows me he could be our force inside.

But I can't help thinking this might be Kyren Williams year. Is he the fastest RB after Tyree?
More thunder than lightning ... line up, pound it and dare you to stop me kind of offense

But I can't help thinking this might be Kyren Williams year. Is he the fastest RB after Tyree

Says who?

Actions speak louder than words and while they could be good...coaching...yet again... is the achilles heel.

BK has had a plethora of good linemen over the years. Future NFL stars to some right on the cusp.

You'd never guess it by the performance though under BK.

They might be highly ranked recruits but they don't play like it.

But I can't help thinking this might be Kyren Williams year. Is he the fastest RB after Tyree

Says who?

Actions speak louder than words and while they could be good...coaching...yet again... is the achilles heel.

BK has had a plethora of good linemen over the years. Future NFL stars to some right on the cusp.

Do you ever stop bi***ing. It never stops. Same crying every post

Do you ever stop bi***ing. It never stops. Same crying every post

Funny, I have some of these guys on ignore -- I'm just so tired of the constant crying and negativity -- but I check once and a while... big mistake!

I'll tell you, it must be a lot of fun guys to have at the dinner table!

Funny, I have some of these guys on ignore -- I'm just so tired of the constant crying and negativity -- but I check once and a while... big mistake!

I'll tell you, it must be a lot of fun guys to have at the dinner table!

I see on the Under the Dome home page there are two categories of threads listed: "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads". I have an immodest suggestion; perhaps we can persuade the BGI staff to add a third category: "Brian Kelly Sucks And Should Be Fired Immediately!" The guys who aren't fans of BK or the program can post there, leaving the rest of us to carry on more pleasant conversations elsewhere. LOL!

I am going to climb in my foxhole now, to take cover from the flurry of rocks that are about to be thrown my way. Carry on, gents.

Last edited:

Cbo has the most swag. Like how he runs at people. Kid should hit the weights and he could be great.

Reactions: Tru2Irish

Says who?

I guess that Joe Moore Award they received slipped by you. Same old tired,boring double spaced uneducated gibberish. Dull,dull,dull.

I see on the Under the Dome home page there are two categories of threads listed: "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads". I have an immodest suggestion; perhaps we can persuade the BGI staff to add a third category: "Brian Kelly Sucks And Should Be Fired Immediately!" The guys who aren't fans of BK or the program can post there, leaving the rest of us to carry on more pleasant conversations elsewhere. LOL!

I am going to climb in my foxhole now, to take cover from the flurry of rocks that are about to be thrown my way. Carry on, gents.

If I ran B&G I would do just that; they have given us a marvelous tool called the ignore link. I use it in moderation and only for a season. The BK and program haters do add spice to the board. Their constant pounding does get on your last nerve. Ignore them for a season; that's my advice.

Says who?

So 5 10 win seasons isn't enough to prove they play up to their caliber? Multiple award winners? Players drafted in top 3 rounds, is that not indicative of a player performing well in college?

All your opinions are baseless, where are the facts ever to support what you say? If there are facts, they are limited and they don't survive cross examination/counter arguments.

Look no further than your LSU vs OU write up in comparison to my LSU vs Clemson write up. My opinion/prediction was based off facts, numbers, eye test and knowledge of the game. Yours, as always was baseless, that's why the take was awful and way off. You don't do you homework, you don't know what your talking about and it's clear to see. My prediction of the CC game was nearly perfect and it wasn't an accident, I explained why, provided facts and got to a conclusion through rational thinking. 42-25 was my prediction and I said with 10 minutes in the 3rd LSU would pull away.

Honestly, baseless opinions are literally the worst kind of opinions because they are ignorant, and if your entire argument is built or based off of one fact (ie Kelly can't win big games) then how can I possibly think that your opinion is worth its salt if your only taking into account one fact to build your foundation off of?

You would get throttled in any debate, which is probably why you resort to one line rebuttals. If you spent as much time fact finding and doing research as you do using different colors, formats and fonts you would probably have better credibility.

So 5 10 win seasons isn't enough to prove they play up to their caliber? Multiple award winners? Players drafted in top 3 rounds, is that not indicative of a player performing well in college?

All your opinions are baseless, where are the facts ever to support what you say? If there are facts, they are limited and they don't survive cross examination/counter arguments.

Look no further than your LSU vs OU write up in comparison to my LSU vs Clemson write up. My opinion/prediction was based off facts, numbers, eye test and knowledge of the game. Yours, as always was baseless, that's why the take was awful and way off. You don't do you homework, you don't know what your talking about and it's clear to see. My prediction of the CC game was nearly perfect and it wasn't an accident, I explained why, provided facts and got to a conclusion through rational thinking. 42-25 was my prediction and I said with 10 minutes in the 3rd LSU would pull away.

Honestly, baseless opinions are literally the worst kind of opinions because they are ignorant, and if your entire argument is built or based off of one fact (ie Kelly can't win big games) then how can I possibly think that your opinion is worth its salt if your only taking into account one fact to build your foundation off of?

You would get throttled in any debate, which is probably why you resort to one line rebuttals. If you spent as much time fact finding and doing research as you do using different colors, formats and fonts you would probably have better credibility.

Very well said, unfortunately, facts don't seem to matter anymore in our country.

Very well said, unfortunately, facts don't seem to matter anymore in our country.

The result of schools not teaching critical thinking, and instead encouraging people to form opinions based off how they feel as opposed to the logic of facts and research. Some topics are subjective and I get that, but if you can't explain to me why or how you made or formulated an opinion and you just tell me "well I have a right to an opinion" my thought is, you have every right to any opinion you want, that doesn't mean it's not a stupid/wrong opinion, and people seem to lack that.

I mean honestly I'm not here to tell people they're wrong but I'm also not here to read people's baseless opinions and have them not have the ability to at least explain it to me. Is it really that hard to admit when you're wrong? People now, would rather be stupid than admit to an error and that to me is just sad.

Let's have the discussion let's talk about it, let's challenge each other on facts and the process of formulating the opinion of whatever topic it is without you or me chalking it up to "I have a right to an opinion" you also have the God given right to be stupid.

I guess that Joe Moore Award they received slipped by you. Same old tired,boring double spaced uneducated gibberish. Dull,dull,dull.
Uneducated? That's rich.

See I don't NEED someone to tell me how good something is. I, unlike you, actually see for myself to make a determination. Someone gets an award and that's the end all be all for you. That must make it 101 percent so....right?

They won the award in 2017. Why? All the preseason hype for Nelson and Mcglinchey.

How'd that 2017 campaign go?
Hhhmmmmm, let's see....the toughest of games on that schedule were losses. The games we should have won, we did. Sound familiar? Indeed.

Looking into those losses.... that oh so other worldly line of ours played how good? Oh that's right...they didn't play good. Matter of fact they looked EXTREMELY pedestrian and in one particular game they looked insanely overrated.

Against Georgia we ran the ball 37 times for.....GET READY FOR THIS...an astounding 55 yards.
A sparkling 1.5 yard per carry average.
3 sacks we gave up. 7 QB hurries!!!
Oh, how did that last drive only needing a field goal end up? Yes...a sack/fumble. Game over.
Josh Adams... the starting Tailback..
19 carries, 54 yards. WOW

The gem against Miami....???
Dare I show you some video of a disgusted McGlinchey because his guy just blew the play up...AGAIN? The whole world got to see his disgust because you know ESPN/ABC loves getting up close and personal. Did you forget about that stunning performance or too busy working on logistics of free hot dogs after the jr. High soccer match?
We gave up 5 sacks, 3 hurries. We ran 39 times for a 3.0 yard average. Dexter...had 3 carries for a 7.7 ypc average otherwise that stat total 36 carries for 86 yards. A 2.6 YPC average.
BTW...good old Dexter..the one player who was elite getting crumbs...again. The player who should have gotten most of the carries...nope. BK to the rescue again.
Josh Adams...
16 carries 40 yards. WHOA

Stanford???
Another laugher.
6 sacks allowed and 4 hurries.
44 rushes for 154 yards carrying a 3.5 ypc average.
Ypc again aided by the best running back Dexter 3 for 21 yards. You know...more crumbs for Dex.
Josh Adam's
20 carries 49 yards.

This incredible line...this award winning line could only muster an approximate 2.5 ypc average for Adams against the good competition.
Also, against the same good competition...
14 sacks and 14 hurries allowed. 3 games. The 3 toughest games.

Yeah they were just exceptional. WTHE

Let me clue you in on something...
You know who votes on the alleged best line in the country???? The 120 plus offensive line coaches in D1.
Now I have to ask...how in the hell do they have time to review all that video of teams, compare, and then attempt to vote a winner. That's even provided they give a care in the first place.

Well they don't

They are going to look at perceived reputation, pew season hype...submit votes and go about their real responsibilities.

Anytime you want to go over football I'll be more than happy to help you. I don't need ESPN and awards that nobody really dissects...time or care...to claim someone or somethimg is good.

I like Nelson. I like Mcglinchey. He really wore his emotions on his sleeve.

Collectively as a unit they weren't very dominant. Individually at times they shined but when this team needed them to plow the road against the best on the schedule.....

It didn't happen!!!!

Then again the line plays exactly like BK's tenure. Beat up on the weak and lose to the good.

The theme is no different no matter the position on offense. ;)

Uneducated? That's rich.

See I don't NEED someone to tell me how good something is. I, unlike you, actually see for myself to make a determination. Someone gets an award and that's the end all be all for you. That must make it 101 percent so....right?

They won the award in 2017. Why? All the preseason hype for Nelson and Mcglinchey.

Hhhmmmmm, let's see....the toughest of games on that schedule were losses. The games we should have won, we did. Sound familiar? Indeed.

Looking into those losses.... that oh so other worldly line of ours played how good? Oh that's right...they didn't play good. Matter of fact they looked EXTREMELY pedestrian and in one particular game they looked insanely overrated.

Against Georgia we ran the ball 37 times for.....GET READY FOR THIS...an astounding 55 yards.
Oh, how did that last drive only needing a field goal end up? Yes...a sack/fumble. Game over.

Dare I show you some video of a disgusted McGlinchey because his guy just blew the play up...AGAIN? The whole world got to see his disgust because you know ESPN/ABC loves getting up close and personal. Did you forget about that stunning performance or too busy working on logistics of free hot dogs after the jr. High soccer match?
We gave up 5 sacks, 3 hurries. We ran 39 times for a 3.0 yard average. Dexter...had 3 carries for a 7.7 ypc average otherwise that stat total 36 carries for 86 yards. A 2.6 YPC average.
BTW...good old Dexter..the one player who was elite getting crumbs...again. The player who should have gotten most of the carries...nope. BK to the rescue again.
Josh Adams...

Stanford???
Another laugher.
Ypc again aided by the best running back Dexter 3 for 21 yards. You know...more crumbs for Dex.
Josh Adam's
20 carries 49 yards.

This incredible line...this award winning line could only muster an approximate 2.5 ypc average for Adams against the good competition.

You know who votes on the alleged best line in the country???? The 120 plus offensive line coaches in D1.
Now I have to ask...how in the hell do they have time to review all that video of teams, compare, and then attempt to vote a winner. That's even provided they give a care in the first place.

Well they don't

They are going to look at perceived reputation, pew season hype...submit votes and go about their real responsibilities.

Anytime you want to go over football I'll be more than happy to help you. I don't need ESPN and awards that nobody really dissects...time or care...to claim someone or somethimg is good.

Collectively as a unit they weren't very dominant. Individually at times they shined but when this team needed them to plow the road against the best on the schedule.....

It didn't happen!!!!

Then again the line plays exactly like BK's tenure. Beat up on the weak and lose to the good.

Like how you saw that LSU and the SEC was overrated and Oklahoma was going to handle them.....LOL. You're a fake ND fan, a troll. No one cares what you think

Like how you saw that LSU and the SEC was overrated and Oklahoma was going to handle them.....LOL. You're a fake ND fan, a troll. No one cares what you think
Aaahhh..
For a second time..
Ignoring is free.

You just can't help yourself though....and that's ok.

Remember this...I have no idea what on earth you post. Unless you're directly replying to me, I have no care in the world. See that's how that works when someone truly DOESN'T care what a poster says or thinks.

On the other hand I know it's only a matter of time after I post anything that you'll chime in. It's clockwork. For someone who doesn't care you sure do reply a lot and in record time.

Oh well :cool:

If I ran B&G I would do just that; they have given us a marvelous tool called the ignore link. I use it in moderation and only for a season. The BK and program haters do add spice to the board. Their constant pounding does get on your last nerve. Ignore them for a season; that's my advice.

Thanks, Ara, but I just can't bring myself to use the Ignore feature. This is a CFB message board. It's supposed to provide some amusement, and perhaps some information about ND football that the average ND football fan might not have access to. I enjoy the posts from the regular posters here who closely follow recruiting, or can assist my middling knowledge of the Xs and Os. I enjoy that stuff. I also enjoy the occasional off topic discussions. The constantly negative stuff about the ND football program and Brian Kelly is just noise to me. I don't begrudge people expressing negative opinions--and sometimes I find myself in agreement with them--but too often it goes over the top, and their gripes begin to sound like a broken record. You know, same song, different verse. Mostly I just let it go, but I am often left wondering how people can live with so much anger and frustration over something that is supposed to be fun. There are times I have to remind myself of that when watching ND football, so it is still a challenge, even for me. Luckily, watching ND games with my grandson and trying to be a role model for him has greatly reduced the profanity laced, spittle spewing rants that were a not infrequent occurrence when I was a younger man. I'm too old now to waste that kind of energy. LOL!

P.S. I like your phrasing: they "add spice to the board." In the future I'll try to think of it that way.

Uneducated? That's rich.

Josh Adams...

Stanford???
Another laugher.
Josh Adam's
20 carries 49 yards.

Well they don't

It didn't happen!!!!

As I said uneducated, double spaced gibberish.

Reactions: Pennick4
Aaahhh..
For a second time..
Ignoring is free.

You just can't help yourself though....and that's ok.

Remember this...I have no idea what on earth you post. Unless you're directly replying to me, I have no care in the world. See that's how that works when someone truly DOESN'T care what a poster says or thinks.

On the other hand I know it's only a matter of time after I post anything that you'll chime in. It's clockwork. For someone who doesn't care you sure do reply a lot and in record time.

Oh well :cool:

You sound like Nancy Pelosi. You spew fiction and wonder why people get so worked up.

Liberal see liberal do. Sad and shameful tactics 88, sad.

Taylor coached McCaffrey and Love at Stanford. We don't have any RBs like that. Maybe Tyree because both have 4.3 type speed.

Jafar has more speed than Kyren. Kyren has more quicks and is a true RB. Jafar is still waiting for the lightbulb to go on.

As I said uneducated, double spaced gibberish.
You sound like Nancy Pelosi. You spew fiction and wonder why people get so worked up.

Liberal see liberal do. Sad and shameful tactics 88, sad.
When you have no response to facts...pull out some deranged response that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The line underachieved. I didn't make them do it. If that bothers you perhaps you should be pissed at the individual responsible for the lackluster product on display?.? Just a thought.

When you have no response to facts...pull out some deranged response that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The line underachieved. I didn't make them do it. If that bothers you perhaps you should be pissed at the individual responsible for the lackluster product on display?.? Just a thought.
When a nationally respected award is achieved you summarily dismiss it because it doesn't support your narrative. You typically cherry pick statistics that you somehow think do ( albeit only in your confused mind ) all the while completely ignoring the fact that there are other facets of the game involved in playing particular positions. The Kelly hate while mostly amusing really is getting pretty stale no ? Very CGVR like.

When a nationally respected award is achieved you summarily dismiss it because it doesn't support your narrative. You typically cherry pick statistics that you somehow think do ( albeit only in your confused mind ) all the while completely ignoring the fact that there are other facets of the game involved in playing particular positions. The Kelly hate while mostly amusing really is getting pretty stale no ? Very CGVR like.
The OP stated we HAVE the talent on the OL.
I replied says who? Individually we very well might have the measurables alright...as in future Sunday talent but playing collectively as a unit we underperform entirely way too much. Why is that? Line coach? Scheme from the head coach? Both? Either way it's wrong.
Now please tell me what stats I'm cherry picking? I'd be cherry picking stats if I applauded performances against the weak who we should be dominating. What on earth does that say? Nothing. Physically dominating a front seven that isn't very good shouldn't garner extra praise. If you wish to hand out the participation trophy ok...but I want to see the line impose their will against good competition. This is Notre Dame. We should judge ourselves against the best. ESPECIALLY the line. If there is one position we seemingly get 5 star talent consistently it's on the OL. If you choose to hold a lower standard of that unit that's your choice but I, on the other hand, want to see our alleged elite OL dominate against the best our schedule has to offer.

Ya know....what's funny in all this is I don't care one bit if you choose to celebrate mediocre line play against our good competition. You however just come undone if I'm not buying the unicorns and rainbows and glitter some of the board is selling about our OL because I do expect them to play up to the hype. Especially the line given our recruiting there. Our starting TB averaged 2.5 ypc against good competition. We gave up 14 sacks and 14 hurries agaisnt the same good competition in only 3 games.

If that's celebration worthy to you ok. Certainly your prerogative. To me that's underachieving to put it mildly.

The OP stated we HAVE the talent on the OL.
I replied says who? Individually we very well might have the measurables alright...as in future Sunday talent but playing collectively as a unit we underperform entirely way too much. Why is that? Line coach? Scheme from the head coach? Both? Either way it's wrong.
Now please tell me what stats I'm cherry picking? I'd be cherry picking stats if I applauded performances against the weak who we should be dominating. What on earth does that say? Nothing. Physically dominating a front seven that isn't very good shouldn't garner extra praise. If you wish to hand out the participation trophy ok...but I want to see the line impose their will against good competition. This is Notre Dame. We should judge ourselves against the best. ESPECIALLY the line. If there is one position we seemingly get 5 star talent consistently it's on the OL. If you choose to hold a lower standard of that unit that's your choice but I, on the other hand, want to see our alleged elite OL dominate against the best our schedule has to offer.

Ya know....what's funny in all this is I don't care one bit if you choose to celebrate mediocre line play against our good competition. You however just come undone if I'm not buying the unicorns and rainbows and glitter some of the board is selling about our OL because I do expect them to play up to the hype. Especially the line given our recruiting there. Our starting TB averaged 2.5 ypc against good competition. We gave up 14 sacks and 14 hurries agaisnt the same good competition in only 3 games.

If that's celebration worthy to you ok. Certainly your prerogative. To me that's underachieving to put it mildly.
You always cherry pick things that suit your narrative. You don't like the coach so you always cited the negative in your eyes. The stats themselves aren't nearly as important as how they were arrived at. It's a team game . Individual numbers are the result of a cumulative effort by all 11 on the field. Again feel free to dismiss a nationally recognized award simply because you don't care for the head coach. You only cited negative statistics and ignore the positive ones. If that's not cherry picking what is ? You're the king of the low hanging fruit accumulators.

Reactions: Catholicfan95

"When you have no response as to facts" lol don't start with me 88. You haven't answered a plethora of facts I've shoved in your face. Sure calling you Nancy Pelosi is deranged but so is not responding/ignoring facts and then turning around to preach it to others.

Watch the 49ers with that M Shanahan / Alex Gibbs / K Shanahan Wide Zone Stretch play running game. That run game has no equal. for 25 years that system has been able to plug and play running backs and they all kick ass.

SF just took a nobody and he ran for 4 TD's yesterday vs Green Bay. ND runs every damn blocking scheme ever invented and cannot gain a inch vs defenses like Clemson, UGA or Michigan.

You can blame it on the running backs if you want, but the ND Offensive Line play stinks, the O-Line is being asked to learn way too much, and instead of working on dipping, bringing your knees and perfecting technique. ND runs a bunch of schemes, all half ass.

A running backs coach cannot fix that. A new Offensive Line coach can however.

Reactions: Kelso86
Watch the 49ers with that M Shanahan / Alex Gibbs / K Shanahan Wide Zone Stretch play running game. That run game has no equal. for 25 years that system has been able to plug and play running backs and they all kick ass.

SF just took a nobody and he ran for 4 TD's yesterday vs Green Bay. ND runs every damn blocking scheme ever invented and cannot gain a inch vs defenses like Clemson, UGA or Michigan.

You can blame it on the running backs if you want, but the ND Offensive Line play stinks, the O-Line is being asked to learn way too much, and instead of working on dipping, bringing your knees and perfecting technique. ND runs a bunch of schemes, all half ass.

A running backs coach cannot fix that. A new Offensive Line coach can however.
An OC and run game coordinator can help fix that. If the run game doesn’t need 10 different blocking schemes, the OL coach doesn’t have to teach them all.

Reactions: Kelso86

Why is it boring, uneducated gibberish? Did you watch the 49ers run roughshod over the Packers yesterday with a well-developed, well-coached running attack that featured a solid offensive line, a great run blocking tight end, good blocking receivers and a running back who is nowhere near an All-Pro. Mostert was a Purdue player I believe who had other shots in the NFL. I think at one time he was on the Bears roster for a cup of coffee. My point is, as a former offensive lineman, you can appreciate the beauty of a well-run, well-blocked ground game that gains 6-10 yards a crack, chews up clock and simply demoralizes opposing defenses. I'm sure you played in games where you did that to other teams so you know what I'm talking about. Notre Dame does not possess the tools to run a Kansas City Chiefs type of offense. They have had great offensive lines, however, and they probably could develop this group into one as well. Kelly does not believe in that kind of running game, and I think it hurts his chances of ever winning a national championship. He has not shown the ability to get the guys in here to run a flashy, pass-heavy offense, that lights up the scoreboard against the best teams out there. What he can recruit are mauling offensive linemen, tight ends who can catch and block, decent QBs to manage games, and RBs who are Mostert capable. What he should do in the offseason is take his offensive assistants to the 49ers facility and meet with Kyle Shanahan to develop that type of running game that can crush opponents, and might even help him win games against higher ranked teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT