ADVERTISEMENT

Talent vs Depth

kellys heroes 35

Rockne's Water Boy
Oct 23, 2015
I understand the importance of depth . Alabama has two 1st team all americans @ DT and LB , you need a few difference makers to breathe the rarefied air . Depth enables a team to stay in the hunt , difference makers break up that last 30 yd play of Stanford's . Also a big time QB and or WR make that play for 2 pts vs clemson that was dropped and or overthrown ( depending on one's perspective ) in the back of the end zone. ND is now playing for a spot in the playoffs . They need closers in the secondary and guys that can put pressure on the QB.
I love where the program is going I have my eyes on the DE and secondary positions - Kelly will manufacture points we need to be able to get the defense off the field

Last note - Kizer is not a finished product - Kelly freely discussed last week in a press conf that KIzer is a different QB between the 20 yds lines and inside the 20 yd lines . That has to be fixed or Kelly needs to explore other options in the red zone . BTW I like Kizer a lot -- but numbers are numbers and our red zone numbers stink . I see Kelly and staff closely monitoring the three QB's offensive production in the red zone starting in the spring . I think there may be a 2 QB system in our future.

I understand the importance of depth . Alabama has two 1st team all americans @ DT and LB , you need a few difference makers to breathe the rarefied air . Depth enables a team to stay in the hunt , difference makers break up that last 30 yd play of Stanford's . Also a big time QB and or WR make that play for 2 pts vs clemson that was dropped and or overthrown ( depending on one's perspective ) in the back of the end zone. ND is now playing for a spot in the playoffs . They need closers in the secondary and guys that can put pressure on the QB.
I love where the program is going I have my eyes on the DE and secondary positions - Kelly will manufacture points we need to be able to get the defense off the field

Last note - Kizer is not a finished product - Kelly freely discussed last week in a press conf that KIzer is a different QB between the 20 yds lines and inside the 20 yd lines . That has to be fixed or Kelly needs to explore other options in the red zone . BTW I like Kizer a lot -- but numbers are numbers and our red zone numbers stink . I see Kelly and staff closely monitoring the three QB's offensive production in the red zone starting in the spring . I think there may be a 2 QB system in our future.
what a bunch of nonsense. of course kizer is not a finished product. how many qbs at his experience level are ? can't help you if you can't see the forest because the trees are in the way. if you're are expecting perfection you'll always be disappointed. kizer is clearly the starter going forward. he is a big time quarterback.

Once a senior exec in an organization was asked if he wanted quality or quantity in recruiting He replied "I want lots of quality"!

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Once a senior exec in an organization was asked if he wanted quality or quantity in recruiting He replied "I want lots of quality"!
Agree! That's the biggest difference I see BK starting to make - his depth has quality talent. A player goes down then sub in the next four-star player. Even on the d-line, ND is rotating 4* players for the most part. The 2012 team was not there depth-wise, IMO, and it eventually showed. This year's team has the quality talent even in its depth.

Agree! That's the biggest difference I see BK starting to make - his depth has quality talent. A player goes down then sub in the next four-star player. Even on the d-line, ND is rotating 4* players for the most part. The 2012 team was not there depth-wise, IMO, and it eventually showed. This year's team has the quality talent even in its depth.
agreed. no way is this team as successful as it was this year without that depth. the 2012 team would never have been able to overcome the volume of injuries to quality players the 2015 team has.

agreed. no way is this team as successful as it was this year without that depth. the 2012 team would never have been able to overcome the volume of injuries to quality players the 2015 team has.
I am amazed by the quality depth on this team! The depth - even to the true frosh level - has stepped up as gamers. Kizer was the third-string QB in spring, CJ Prosise was the third-string RB in spring (?), Josh Adams was virtually buried on the depth chart in spring, Tillery was a third-string (at best) true frosh in spring but these guys stepped into the spotlight and excelled.

I am amazed by the quality depth on this team! The depth - even to the true frosh level - has stepped up as gamers. Kizer was the third-string QB in spring, CJ Prosise was the third-string RB in spring (?), Josh Adams was virtually buried on the depth chart in spring, Tillery was a third-string (at best) true frosh in spring but these guys stepped into the spotlight and excelled.
quality talent and quality coaching. the future is extremely bright.

Area, fully agree, and it's a tough balancing act, until the foundation of talent is in place. We now have that.

Reactions: Ara64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT