ADVERTISEMENT

Start Buchner

Kelly is going to play the guy HE FEELS will give ND the best chance to win football games in 2021. Period end of story. And to think it’s going to be a Freshman, sitting behind 4 new starters on the O-line? Seems pretty unlikely and silly.

Reactions: Kelso86
The key to Buchner being ready to fly in 2022 is getting him into games early this year and letting him attack. Jmo

"The key to Buchner being ready to fly in 2022 is getting him into games early this year and letting him attack."

Totally agree. If ND gets up 3-4 scores and the game is no longer in doubt, get him in there to get game snaps. Too many times the last 2-3 years, Book was in way too long when the game was essentially over. Get a back up some live snaps.

“If he has a bad year, oh well”

That has to be one of the dumbest comments of all time !

We could win 10 to 12 games with Coan this year and make the playoffs. We're not going to throw away the season to look ahead to next year. There's ways to get Buchner playing time without him starting
I do not think we can win 10 games with Coan. I hope we do. I think even the haters are going to miss Book terribly this season no matter who starts. We don't have an Ian Book on the roster this year.

I do not think we can win 10 games with Coan. I hope we do. I think even the haters are going to miss Book terribly this season no matter who starts. We don't have an Ian Book on the roster this year.
Maybe you're right, but his one year starting at Wisconsin, they made it to the Rose Bowl. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be capable of the same sort of success at ND. His track record at least, is one of winning when he's the starter at a good program. Though they did have a shitty loss to Illinois, but that could happen to anyone. His personal stats were quite good.

And you're right about Ian Book. We're gonna miss him. He's not irreplaceable... we're still gonna miss him. Hopefully not too much.

Maybe you're right, but his one year starting at Wisconsin, they made it to the Rose Bowl. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be capable of the same sort of success at ND. His track record at least, is one of winning when he's the starter at a good program. Though they did have a shitty loss to Illinois, but that could happen to anyone. His personal stats were quite good.

And you're right about Ian Book. We're gonna miss him. He's not irreplaceable... we're still gonna miss him. Hopefully not too much.
He did make some big plays for Wisconsin. Perhaps I am not giving him enough credit.

I'll say that if Coan wins the starting job hands down, and he's playing pretty good and we're at least in contention for a Big Bowl game if not so much the playoff, then he will stay the starter....

If we fall out of contention for even a big bowl game, then maybe they turn it over to Pyne and Buchner. Which I don't think is uncommon for grad transfer QBs. In fact they probably will. That seems like a fairly conservative estimate that I will go with. And he's got to win the job first....

Personally, I'm not that worried at all, pretty much at all, about making sure that Buchner and Pyne get as max playing time whenever possible. I'm just not. I'm not one of those guys who's obsessed with that. I just want to win. And if that means Jack Coan playing pretty much all game, every game, fine....

We definitely can. Coan is a good qb. Our defense will lead the way like it has the last 4 years

Kelly is going to play the guy HE FEELS will give ND the best chance to win football games in 2021. Period end of story. And to think it’s going to be a Freshman, sitting behind 4 new starters on the O-line? Seems pretty unlikely and silly.
He will start Coan because BK is judged on wins and losses, not the sexy quarterback. Coan brings the most maturity and least chance of f’ing up a game. It’s clearly why he went and got him. He wasn’t confident in any of the other kids to lead the team, PJ transferred, so he went and found someone out of desperation. If he knew Buchner was a Trevor Lawrence type talent, he never would’ve gotten Coan. Crazy, if Jurkovech wouldn’t stayed, it’d be his team. Kids transfer prematurely imo. I’m hoping Buchner isn’t a baby about it and sticks around. Nowadays, kids transfer over the slightest things. You do your time, you will get your shot if you’re good enough.

Reactions: Telx1
He will start Coan because BK is judged on wins and losses, not the sexy quarterback. Coan brings the most maturity and least chance of f’ing up a game. It’s clearly why he went and got him. He wasn’t confident in any of the other kids to lead the team, PJ transferred, so he went and found someone out of desperation. If he knew Buchner was a Trevor Lawrence type talent, he never would’ve gotten Coan. Crazy, if Jurkovech wouldn’t stayed, it’d be his team. Kids transfer prematurely imo. I’m hoping Buchner isn’t a baby about it and sticks around. Nowadays, kids transfer over the slightest things. You do your time, you will get your shot if you’re good enough.

"if Jurkovech wouldn’t stayed, it’d be his team. Kids transfer prematurely imo"

I was disappointed when he transferred, but I also believe that there was much more going in in the QB room than what any of us know. PJ has alluded to as much in interviews about his transfer.

That said, Kelly went and added maturity to an otherwise immature QB room. I think Coan will be fine initially, but, there has to be progression with either Pyne or Buchner this year. I do not want to start 2022 on the road in Columbus with a highly inexperienced QB -- OSU will be dangerous enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bumpdaddy
"if Jurkovech wouldn’t stayed, it’d be his team. Kids transfer prematurely imo"

I was disappointed when he transferred, but I also believe that there was much more going in in the QB room than what any of us know. PJ has alluded to as much in interviews about his transfer.

That said, Kelly went and added maturity to an otherwise immature QB room. I think Coan will be fine initially, but, there has to be progression with either Pyne or Buchner this year. I do not want to start 2022 on the road in Columbus with a highly inexperienced QB -- OSU will be dangerous enough.
How can you assure progression will occur in a player that’s not receiving game snaps ?

John Huarte was mediocre in practice !

But once in the game he earned Heisman honors.

How does one progress while sitting on the bench ?

Here's something BK could conceivably do that would help with the development of the younger QBs, not to mention appease the hordes of know-it-all fans who insist that the coaches do it their way.

If and when we play a MAC level team, start Pyne and Buchner, even if Coan is otherwise entrenched as the regular starter. In fact, especially if Coan is otherwise entrenched. And then we can skip the whole thing where we get the starting QB on the bench as soon as possible if we have any kind of a sizable lead, the practice of which I am opposed to. If we're playing a normal, more competitive opponent, you leave the preferred starter in for as long as you need to so as to confidently secure the win, and you err on the side of keeping the starter in as long as you might feel you need to, which is how BK seems to think about it.

But against a weak opponent where victory is seemingly assured from the start, then you can just start Drew Pyne straightaway and let him play the whole game. Or switch off either by series or by quarters with both Pyne and Buchner. That's what they do in European soccer, younger players get starts against overmatched opponents. That seems like a tidy enough alternative.

Starters need to play, get competitive reps, and build chemistry on a weekly basis. What needs to happen is ND needs to really really blow a few teams out early in the game, so pyne can play most of 3rd quarter and buchner can play fourth quarter. Toledo would be a great opportunity

Hopefully we're good enough to put a few ok teams solidly away by the fourth quarter a few times this year to get backup qbs more PT.

We could win 10 to 12 games with Coan this year and make the playoffs. We're not going to throw away the season to look ahead to next year. There's ways to get Buchner playing time without him starting
If Buchner is toting the clipboard all year even when the Irish are throttling the opponent....I see another transfer next year. He needs PT even if it is shared with Pyne. No PT this year would not set him up for serious PT next year; and would not suggest that he is the future. Kid is smart enough to maximize his career on the field.

If we'd run up the score like every other elite team (Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, etc) they'd get in. Instead, we get up and then run the ball for 3 and out and let opponents that should get crushed keep it close. Elite teams don't play nice. BK for some reason, is affraid to run up the score. That's how you get new kids in the game. Bama and Clemson put up 60+ on a regular basis.

If we'd run up the score like every other elite team (Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, etc) they'd get in. Instead, we get up and then run the ball for 3 and out and let opponents that should get crushed keep it close. Elite teams don't play nice. BK for some reason, is affraid to run up the score. That's how you get new kids in the game. Bama and Clemson put up 60+ on a regular basis.
I don’t know if it’s a reluctance to run up the score, or a conservative coaching mentality to try to run off time while avoiding mistakes that can give the other team momentum. Regardless, the outcome is the same with respect to giving meaningful playing time to back up QBs. Under Kelly, they’re lucky to play at all, but if they do, it’s mop up duty that consists of handing the ball off to a running back. Frankly, pretty worthless experience in terms of their development.

I don’t know if it’s a reluctance to run up the score, or a conservative coaching mentality to try to run off time while avoiding mistakes that can give the other team momentum. Regardless, the outcome is the same with respect to giving meaningful playing time to back up QBs. Under Kelly, they’re lucky to play at all, but if they do, it’s mop up duty that consists of handing the ball off to a running back. Frankly, pretty worthless experience in terms of their development.
Yeah, I can't believe he's not cognizant of this. I know he doesn't want to make mistakes, but if the good teams can score 70 against MAC caliber teams, there's no excuse why ND, a playoff team that beat Clemson, cannot score 60 by half and let the young kids throw the damn ball.

According to Kelly, he designed the spring game to see which could move the ball. One gave a Tiger Woods Masters like spanking to the others. The Q’s from the writers were focused on one name. Buchner.
His lack of experience would normally be an issue, but these aren’t normal times. None of these kids are playing as much as they would have prepandemic. ND discipline will be an advantage. But his lack of exp will show up against the best def coordinators in CFB. He’ll get picked. Coan will come in to get the kid settled.

Buchner was #6 at position. 1 went to AL, 1 to osu, 1 to OK. Couple stayed home. We got a top guy.
This is going to be a fun year.

According to Kelly, he designed the spring game to see which could move the ball. One gave a Tiger Woods Masters like spanking to the others. The Q’s from the writers were focused on one name. Buchner.
His lack of experience would normally be an issue, but these aren’t normal times. None of these kids are playing as much as they would have prepandemic. ND discipline will be an advantage. But his lack of exp will show up against the best def coordinators in CFB. He’ll get picked. Coan will come in to get the kid settled.

Buchner was #6 at position. 1 went to AL, 1 to osu, 1 to OK. Couple stayed home. We got a top guy.
This is going to be a fun year.
Alright dude, cool..... So you're going to bring an actual religious-style fervor, and carry on with the visceral madness of a prophet. You've already made that clear, with your previously incoherent, essentially febrile posts on how Jack Coan is destined to never play a down for ND, though it appears you've softened just a bit on that. As if you actually possess supernatural knowledge and prescience of the future, which you share with the rest of the board with your deranged-sounding, portentous posts on this subject.

So like I say, I predict major unrest amongst all the crazies in the ND online fanbase for the upcoming season, and there's a lot of you guys.... You won't be the only wandering prophet shrieking to anyone who will listen about ND's dire future, attempting to be like, John the Baptist or something, with Tyler Buchner getting to play the role of Jesus.....

I don’t know who the above dildo is, but here is the link from rivals showing reranking of 20 year prospects. Jimmy is #15.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-rankings-turn-20-ranking-the-no-1-prospects
That is AWESOME!!!!!! Jimmy Clausen is the gift that keeps on giving! Doesn't matter what a degrading humiliation his actual career was, his recruiting ranking, which is presumably the only thing any of you ever cared about, is still holding strong. He's now down to 15th greatest overall prospect, and no longer Lebron James' football equivalent, but considering what a waking nightmare his playing days were, you gotta be feeling pretty good about yourself.... He's still an elite recruit!

That's not true, of course This list places in the bottom quadrant of all former #1 overall recruits, and speaks directly to what a colossal bust he was. But as long as you see his name in lights it will embolden you.

That is AWESOME!!!!!! Jimmy Clausen is the gift that keeps on giving! Doesn't matter what a degrading humiliation his actual career was, his recruiting ranking, which is presumably the only thing any of you ever cared about, is still holding strong. He's now down to 15th greatest overall prospect, and no longer Lebron James' football equivalent, but considering what a waking nightmare his playing days were, you gotta be feeling pretty good about yourself.... He's still an elite recruit!

That's not true, of course This list places in the bottom quadrant of all former #1 overall recruits, and speaks directly to what a colossal bust he was. But as long as you see his name in lights it will embolden you.
I think I see something dripping from your earlobe. It may have come from McKenzie Milton. You know, your doug flootie clone. Try sticking it in your ear. It might work…

Coan should be the starter with Buchner getting more minutes as the season goes on. The kid hasn't played football in 2 years and it's tough enough for a FR to play QB at this level under the best of circumstances.

The last thing you want to do (especially with an inexperienced OL) is throw Buchner into the fire and risk destroying his confidence.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT