ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

How could you possibly know what protection was called ? Assuming a player blew an assignment without truly knowing what said players responsibility was is just speculation. Successful o line play is based on cohesiveness and assignment integrity. You do YOUR job. No free lancing. The back made the block, his responsibility. I'd bet for sure the protection call was to the inside.
He doesn’t know.

Based on yesterday, I’ll take an athletic long armed 285 lb Wagner over Baker if that’s my only choice. I hope you’re right that the starting job boils down to competition between Wagner and Lambert this Fall. I posted previously that it is highly unlikely, but I’d prefer getting an experienced grad LT who is better than Jugasah, but with a lower ceiling. Move Jugasah to RT and develop Lambert for starting LT next year.
I like that idea, but if there's no transfer available this late, then who else is an option at RT? Aside from Baker, Wagner, Lambert?

Absher?
Pendleton?
Chan?

Based on yesterday, I’ll take an athletic long armed 285 lb Wagner over Baker if that’s my only choice. I hope you’re right that the starting job boils down to competition between Wagner and Lambert this Fall. I posted previously that it is highly unlikely, but I’d prefer getting an experienced grad LT who is better than Jugasah, but with a lower ceiling. Move Jugasah to RT and develop Lambert for starting LT next year.
The 2024 OL is a concern.

Watch the play. He goes inside and allows the strong side end a free lane to the QB.

Very very unlikely that is what was called on a down field passing play.

You aren't going to hand your QB out to dry with only the RB in that situation.
I saw the play. The protection was clearly shifting to the left. The back did his job as did Wagner and his mates.

Way too early to come to that conclusion in my opinion. An abundance of talent there. If they were dominant yesterday some here would be concerned about the dline. A spring game is the absolute worst format in which to come to any sort of informed opinion either good or bad.
I did not watch the Spring game. Not one play. The 2024 OL was a concern before the Spring game. And it will be a concern going forward.

The 2024 DL is not a concern going forward.

I did not watch the Spring game. Not one play. The 2024 OL was a concern before the Spring game. And it will be a concern going forward.

The 2024 DL is not a concern going forward.
Not a concern to me. If it is to you so be it.

Way too early to come to that conclusion in my opinion. An abundance of talent there. If they were dominant yesterday some here would be concerned about the dline. A spring game is the absolute worst format in which to come to any sort of informed opinion either good or bad.
This OL (with Jagusah and Baker at the tackle spots) played a real game already, against Oregon State - and played very well, as we put up over 400 yds and scored 40 pts.

Oregon State was depleted, but they had a good defense during the season. But it's hard to tell what kind of measuring stick that was.

Reactions: Kelso86
The 2024 OL is a concern.
I was under the impression based on your comments that the spring game was meaningless. Yet you deduce from the game that the 2024 OL is a concern?

Watch the play. He goes inside and allows the strong side end a free lane to the QB.

Very very unlikely that is what was called on a down field passing play.

You aren't going to hand your QB out to dry with only the RB in that situation.
I agree with echowaker. The back pretty clearly blocks the end. The line goes to the left. There’s a couple things that make me think you might be right (that was the only time they did that), but I doubt Wagner just totally forgot to the block the DE aligned outside of him. Angeli also had a red jersey and it was a scrimmage where maybe things are scripted.

I didn’t see the other missed assignment that you mentioned. Did you mean the stunt where Wagner was late getting out? Blue team was on the left side of the screen. I wouldn’t call that a missed assignment.

My prediction for starting line is:

LT Jagusah
LG Coogan
C Craig
RG Schrauth
RT Baker

I agree with echowaker. The back pretty clearly blocks the end. The line goes to the left. There’s a couple things that make me think you might be right (that was the only time they did that), but I doubt Wagner just totally forgot to the block the DE aligned outside of him. Angeli also had a red jersey and it was a scrimmage where maybe things are scripted.

I didn’t see the other missed assignment that you mentioned. Did you mean the stunt where Wagner was late getting out? Blue team was on the left side of the screen. I wouldn’t call that a missed assignment.

My prediction for starting line is:

LT Jagusah
LG Coogan
C Craig
RG Schrauth
RT Baker
I now think Spindler beats out Coogan. And possibly Wagner over Baker

Reactions: mirer03
Its possible. I just think that they wouldn’t have moved Spindler to compete with Coogan when he was already a starter last year, and I believe Coogan was better than Spindler last year.

I just don’t see Wagner beating Baker based on size and Baker having two years on him. Wagner is clearly undersized.

I like that idea, but if there's no transfer available this late, then who else is an option at RT? Aside from Baker, Wagner, Lambert?

Absher?
Pendleton?
Chan?
You can theoretically add Absher to the mix, but he didn’t impress yesterday at LT. And theoretically, a new batch of players will be hitting the portal this month. But, realistically, I think it’s a three way competition among Baker and Wagner and Lambert.

I was under the impression based on your comments that the spring game was meaningless. Yet you deduce from the game that the 2024 OL is a concern?
I did not watch the Spring game.

And yes, IMO, the 2024 OL is a concern.

Its possible. I just think that they wouldn’t have moved Spindler to compete with Coogan when he was already a starter last year, and I believe Coogan was better than Spindler last year.

I just don’t see Wagner beating Baker based on size and Baker having two years on him. Wagner is clearly undersized.
Because Schrauth is our best guard. They moved Rocco to compete with Coogan because Schrauth spot is locked in

Wagner is undersized but the better player imo

Reactions: Telx1
I agree. I don't think Wagner is as good as you and I don't think he will hold up this year, but I just don't think Baker is good enough, and skill wise he's at least as good.

The catching bothers me...but he's not the only one on the team with the issue so that might be a Rudolph thing

You can theoretically add Absher to the mix, but he didn’t impress yesterday at LT. And theoretically, a new batch of players will be hitting the portal this month. But, realistically, I think it’s a three way competition among Baker and Wagner and Lambert.
I think one of those is likely to transfer. Honestly, the ol depth chart could use a few defections.

I think this is a big year for Rudolph. This is his crew now and it needs to play better. Especially if Denbrock goes back to more zone concepts.

I saw the play. The protection was clearly shifting to the left. The back did his job as did Wagner and his mates.
Watch it again and tell me who he blocks.

The answer is no one.

It's a four man rush. Either he is driving left to double and misses the double or he misses the assignment of the strong side end. He literally touches no one.
If the protection was for him to help inside once the dl swims inside the guard (this leaving Wagner looking for someone to block) he shouldn't have been standing there with his dick in his hands looking for someone to block.

Because Schrauth is our best guard. They moved Rocco to compete with Coogan because Schrauth spot is locked in

Wagner is undersized but the better player imo
That’s fine regarding Schrauth. I still think the fact that Spindler was the one moved, and that I think Coogan was a better LG than Spindler was a RG, makes it likely that Coogan will be a better LG than Spindler a LG.

We’ll see on Wagner. He’s not just a little under sized either.

That’s fine regarding Schrauth. I still think the fact that Spindler was the one moved, and that I think Coogan was a better LG than Spindler was a RG, makes it likely that Coogan will be a better LG than Spindler a LG.

We’ll see on Wagner. He’s not just a little under sized either.
Rocco hurt his knee, missed three games, and Schauth replaced him and played better than both Coogan and Rocco. Neither Coogan or Rocco played really well their first season starting, and logical as hell that Schrauth is the starter at RG where he played those three games, and Coogan the presumptive starter at LG where he started all last season. Makes total sense that Rocco will compete with Coogan for the LG guard spot. Personally, I thought Rocco played average and Coogan below average last year, but how much they have developed since will dictate who starts. Based on the practice game alone, Rocco wins this. But we have no idea how each has performed in the practices not open to the public. Fall will answer this question.

Rocco hurt his knee, missed three games, and Schauth replaced him and played better than both Coogan and Rocco. Neither Coogan or Rocco played really well their first season starting, and logical as hell that Schrauth is the starter at RG where he played those three games, and Coogan the presumptive starter at LG where he started all last season. Makes total sense that Rocco will compete with Coogan for the LG guard spot. Personally, I thought Rocco played average and Coogan below average last year, but how much they have developed since will dictate who starts. Based on the practice game alone, Rocco wins this. But we have no idea how each has performed in the practices not open to the public. Fall will answer this question.
Fair enough. I do think it will be a battle.

Angeli seems slow to process and decide, he also struggles against a decent pass rush. Hoping we don't need him to play. Minchey has talent he just needs more reps, i'm afraid unless he truly loves ND he will look elsewhere to get to play. The freshman looked good for a freshman but he too threw some balls that should have been picked off. Definitely can't judge what the offense will look like come real game time off of that vanilla toned down version in the spring scrum.

SIAP: Did Sneed do much? I was half watching with the sound down, but I didn't notice him and wondered if he had much of an impact.

Angeli seems slow to process and decide, he also struggles against a decent pass rush. Hoping we don't need him to play. Minchey has talent he just needs more reps, i'm afraid unless he truly loves ND he will look elsewhere to get to play. The freshman looked good for a freshman but he too threw some balls that should have been picked off. Definitely can't judge what the offense will look like come real game time off of that vanilla toned down version in the spring scrum.
Thanks.

With so many on this forum that can judge talent from a glorified scrimmage, it amazes me that no one has been hired by the staff. You guru's of talent need to send your resumes to Freeman so he can bring a few of you on staff.

Made it to the game......Burnham was all over the field......looks huge too up close.....

KVA looked like he know what he was doing for sure

All 3 QBs played well, Carr throws such a nice ball......lots of zip.......going to be hard to keep him off the field.....

With so many on this forum that can judge talent from a glorified scrimmage, it amazes me that no one has been hired by the staff. You guru's of talent need to send your resumes to Freeman so he can bring a few of you on staff.
It is a football forum.

J love is the best back in the country
He's not yet a natural RB, he's more of an APB. I don't love his running between the tackles, he's someone you need to get in space obviously. I think williams is already ahead of him as a true RB between the tackles. But love will get a lot of touches this year and need to improve running between the tackles so teams have to play him straight up.

Someone else posted this, Aneyas does have a Kyren style. Not sure you could see it on TV, but we were close to the field. I dont know how to describe the style but I would say its an always squared up style. Seems to never be getting skinny to get through a hole, always givig the defender his full front which would seem bad but actually allows you to move in any directions. Squaring up is the best way to describe it. He looks like he will be a very shifty runner...

I agree on both. Possibly a Transfer as well. I think there's too much invested right now with Jagusah at LT for this year to just flip him to RT if we get a LT transfer. He's been full time LT for the last 6 months +.

I actually thought spindler looked really good. Coogan was coogan, solid but slow.

Baker was himself - not good
Pendleton at center was awful
I thought absher was good
Some of the frosh looked good
Chan bad

I thought absher played some guard Saturday? There was a young LG that impressed me some, i thought it was absher.

Last edited:
I think this is a big year for Rudolph. This is his crew now and it needs to play better. Especially if Denbrock goes back to more zone concepts.
Not sure what this is his crew means? None of the players that will be playing he recruited.

With that said, i do agree it's a big year because there's a ton of depth and talent, his coaching will really show.

Made it to the game......Burnham was all over the field......looks huge too up close.....

KVA looked like he know what he was doing for sure

All 3 QBs played well, Carr throws such a nice ball......lots of zip.......going to be hard to keep him off the field.....
"All 3 QBs played well, Carr throws such a nice ball......lots of zip.......going to be hard to keep him off the field."

The best thing for Carr is to not play this year -- except in a few mop up roles. I do agree that he looked good in his reps, and throws a nice ball and goes through his progressions, but then again, he was going against a vanilla defense with "alternate" rules for this day.

That said, there is a lot of upside for this kid.

Reactions: NDinNJ
"All 3 QBs played well, Carr throws such a nice ball......lots of zip.......going to be hard to keep him off the field."

The best thing for Carr is to not play this year -- except in a few mop up roles. I do agree that he looked good in his reps, and throws a nice ball and goes through his progressions, but then again, he was going against a vanilla defense with "alternate" rules for this day.

That said, there is a lot of upside for this kid.
Actually I’d prefer his first real game experience not be against the Aggies in ND stadium. If chances are high he starts next year, get the kid some meaningful reps.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
I think this is a big year for Rudolph. This is his crew now and it needs to play better. Especially if Denbrock goes back to more

Not sure what this is his crew means? None of the players that will be playing he recruited.

With that said, i do agree it's a big year because there's a ton of depth and talent, his coaching will really show.
I had the same reaction, but blew my post. Clearly, he is responsible for how disciplined the OL plays, their techniques, and player development. And given the question marks at a few positions, this is clearly a challenging year for him. But these are not yet the players he has recruited, and he will ultimately be judged by how his recruits perform.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT