ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Per Driskall, Rocco really impressed. He even used the word "dominant", specifically referencing Rocco's performance in the run game.

That's pretty encouraging. Would love to see someone really emerge and capture one of the open OL positions with conviction. Make it a no-doubter......"this is the guy".

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Per Driskall, Rocco really impressed. He even used the word "dominant", specifically referencing Rocco's performance in the run game.

That's pretty encouraging. Would love to see someone really emerge and capture one of the open OL positions with conviction. Make it a no-doubter......"this is the guy".
Rocco might beat out Coogan for that LG spot

Reactions: IrishMike409
Thought Oben and Onye and KIA and Ausberry were impressive on defense. Both Carr and Minchey made a couple mistakes, but thought their passing was pretty impressive. Angeli was his usual efficient self; To my eye, he looks more pocket aware, but slower in his reads and release. Damn good depth at QB for a change, even assuming a transfer.

Thought Schrauth and Craig and Coogan and Rocco played really well on the OL. Jagusah played solid for the most part, but Oben made him look silly on one sack. Right tackle is still a crapshoot. Baker and Wagner both looked solid in the run game, and I thought Wagner was slightly better in pass protection, but neither did much to give me a lot of confidence they won’t be a liability against the better teams. And Absher at LT didn’t do anything to make me scream to give him a shot at starting RT. Lots of time between now and the Fall, thankfully.

Overall, enjoyed this practice game more than any in recent memory.

Wagner played well imo. I think he played the best at RT and if he could put on 10 pounds or so before fall he should be the starter.

Golson, you’re right. CJ Carr is a stud. God willing he stays healthy because he’s incredibly talented and is the future of the program.

Wagner played well imo. I think he played the best at RT and if he could put on 10 pounds or so before fall he should be the starter.

My takeaway on QB play is that Angeli is a game manager, not a number one backup. He Clearly has major limitations in his reads and is an Ian Book. Again, that’s not good enough for this team anymore. A better QB than Book and we might have been a force in 18 and 20.

Carr is who should earn the backup role unless Minchey has a solid fall. Angeli is not going to help this team and With Deuce n possibly Hart coming in, the QB room is stronger than most programs and finally the level it should be after years of low recruiting by Kelly. Kudos Marcus

Was there 2 bad snaps today?

Raridon was encouraging. So was Rocco. Great to see. This O line is going to be better than average but not special. So we will need quick slants and ways to get plays going fast

I don’t see Angeli here in the fall unless he wants to be

You're looking for something to complain about. Saying he blew up his knee is a major overreaction. And it looked more lower body than a knee anyway
Ok
We will agree to disagree.

CJ Carr. Wow. I’m sold on that kid.
He just knows how to play quarterback.
When he faces pressure he moves but doesn’t look to just bolt and run.
He moves the pocket and avoids defenders and is always looking to distribute the football. Qb is looking good for ND.

From my understanding, Carr was the best QB in a scrimmage where a lot of players did not play, but he out performed the other two. Minchey settled in during the second half, yet, Carr definitely out performed.
Rocco was the terminator on the offensive line, keep in mind a lot of players did not play; however, he destroyed who ever played against him. How do you keep him off the field.
ND’s new Frosh at running back will get some reps this year being he is smooth and fast.
Colzie had a good day, maybe it will be his year.
The Duke D-line transfer had a good day as well as KVA will be hard to keep off the field.
Again, this is strictly a scrimmage and not the finished product by a long measure.
It will be a different scenario come fall camp.
Somebody mentioned transfers, if I had to guess it would be one of the QB’s not named Riley or Carr and Mickey being Gray might pass him up or one of the o-lineman because of the overall talent level is so high.
I would say this team has more talent on it than any team BK had during his tenure and rivals the Charlie Weiss’s teams.

From my understanding, Carr was the best QB in a scrimmage where a lot of players did not play, but he out performed the other two. Minchey settled in during the second half, yet, Carr definitely out performed.
Rocco was the terminator on the offensive line, keep in mind a lot of players did not play; however, he destroyed who ever played against him. How do you keep him off the field.
ND’s new Frosh at running back will get some reps this year being he is smooth and fast.
Colzie had a good day, maybe it will be his year.
The Duke D-line transfer had a good day as well as KVA will be hard to keep off the field.
Again, this is strictly a scrimmage and not the finished product by a long measure.
It will be a different scenario come fall camp.
Somebody mentioned transfers, if I had to guess it would be one of the QB’s not named Riley or Carr and Mickey being Gray might pass him up or one of the o-lineman because of the overall talent level is so high.
I would say this team has more talent on it than any team BK had during his tenure and rivals the Charlie Weiss’s teams.
It would be crazy if Mickey left. Can't see that happening. He's a key piece of this team and we need him. Don't see him leaving

My takeaway on QB play is that Angeli is a game manager, not a number one backup. He Clearly has major limitations in his reads and is an Ian Book. Again, that’s not good enough for this team anymore. A better QB than Book and we might have been a force in 18 and 20.

Carr is who should earn the backup role unless Minchey has a solid fall. Angeli is not going to help this team and With Deuce n possibly Hart coming in, the QB room is stronger than most programs and finally the level it should be after years of low recruiting by Kelly. Kudos Marcus

Was there 2 bad snaps today?

Raridon was encouraging. So was Rocco. Great to see. This O line is going to be better than average but not special. So we will need quick slants and ways to get plays going fast

I don’t see Angeli here in the fall unless he wants to be
I hope Angeli wants to be here through his career. Why? Having a capable game manager backup, who is even third string, is a huge luxury. It strikes me that the guys who lose the starting battle are the ones who are more likely to transfer, which always seems silly because they are one play away from starting.

The Blue & Gold "game" is just an open scrimmage. Nothing more. It gives the coaching staff a chance to get everyone on a recording for future consideration. Many are taking this scrimmage far too seriously, and that happens every year.
GO IRISH!!!

There all young
Don’t play dumb golson.
Im saying play your third stringers.
Every play in a spring game is meaningless, not just the last one … if you are going to play a WR in the game, you can’t worry about throwing him a slant. If he happens to get hurt, and we haven’t heard if he is hurt, that’s just bad luck that can happen on any football play in any practice.

It would be crazy if Mickey left. Can't see that happening. He's a key piece of this team and we need him. Don't see him leaving
The argument for him leaving is if cj has passed him and Angeli is the #2 then his window is likely over. He can stay and hope for a spot if cj gets injured or if he feels he's a number one he will leave. If he feels he can beat out CJ or if Angeli leaves then he likely stays.

Based on today he doesn't look starting QB ready. Will he be ready to beat CJ in a battle next spring? Only he can answer that.

The argument for him leaving is if cj has passed him and Angeli is the #2 then his window is likely over. He can stay and hope for a spot if cj gets injured or if he feels he's a number one he will leave. If he feels he can beat out CJ or if Angeli leaves then he likely stays.

Based on today he doesn't look starting QB ready. Will he be ready to beat CJ in a battle next spring? Only he can answer that.
I thought he was talking about Jaden Mickey. Not Kenny Minchey.

I was talking about Mickey

Reactions: Telx1
I thought he was talking about Jaden Mickey. Not Kenny Minchey.

I was talking about Mickey
No worries, I went from QB’s to a CB in a hurry. I agree that would be a huge loss, but Christian from what I hear could be very easily be the starting corner and he is younger. Once again, this is a guess without insider knowledge. Angeli could very easily end up being number three or four on the depth chart. If it was me, I would get my degree and hit the portal. I believe he red shirted his first year so that gives him two years of eligibility.

Is the Fisher, who played some running back for the gold team, Justin Fisher who is listed as a tight end on the roster? I think he wore #20.

Never mind, just saw it in the press conference recap.

Last edited:
I thought all 3 QB's played well. CJ Carr definitely has a bright future, but I wouldn't call him a stud just yet, he definitely has the potential to be a stud, but again it was just a scrimmage with several on both sides of the ball out.

Reactions: PHJIndy
I've watched the first half. Carr's really talented. We have 3 capable backup QBs, by the looks of it. But unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them left after the spring (likely Angeli or Minchey).

We're loaded at RB, too, as Williams played well, in addition to having 3 good backs returning.

The young linebacking corps played well, too.

I thought all 3 QB's played well. CJ Carr definitely has a bright future, but I wouldn't call him a stud just yet, he definitely has the potential to be a stud, but again it was just a scrimmage with several on both sides of the ball out.
Do you think Carr can start and lead a team to the playoffs in 25? Is he "that" yet?

No worries, I went from QB’s to a CB in a hurry. I agree that would be a huge loss, but Christian from what I hear could be very easily be the starting corner and he is younger. Once again, this is a guess without insider knowledge. Angeli could very easily end up being number three or four on the depth chart. If it was me, I would get my degree and hit the portal. I believe he red shirted his first year so that gives him two years of eligibility.
Christian is going to be the starting corner by all reports; but we play a ton of five and six defensive back schemes, and Mickey will play a ton of snaps. In my opinion, the only football reason to leave is if his ego can’t accept Christian beating him out for the starting corner. Losing him would be like losing a starter. Makes zero sense.

Reactions: mirer03
Baker is huge but looks so damn slow, and frankly incapable of pass blocking an outside rush. I just read that the back-to-back sequence of sacks he allowed were against walk-on edge rusher Kobi Onyiuke.

Do you think Carr can start and lead a team to the playoffs in 25? Is he "that" yet?
Yes.

Also I think Angeli graduates after fall semester....so doubt he walks.

My money is that minchey if anyone walks. His window to play more than a backup role is closing. He might be able to beat out carr next spring ..that's a choice he has to make.

Baker is huge but looks so damn slow, and frankly incapable of pass blocking an outside rush. I just read that the back-to-back sequence of sacks he allowed were against walk-on edge rusher Kobi Onyiuke.
Yeah rt is a problem. Wagner looked better than tosh but missed his assignment multiple times. Most glaring is the 1st td pass to Rairden where he blocked inside letting outside rush run clean. Rb picked it up allowing the pass.

Wagner also catches in pass pro. He doesn't initiate contact. Let's be clear...catching is better than missing which is what baker did multiple times, but it's not good.

If Wagner gets to 300 he will likely start...but I don't think he gets there. No way he was 292 yesterday. Look at him standing next to schrauth. Schrauth is right at 305 and about the same height. Wagner is significantly smaller....having said that I think Lambert and Wagner will be battling in the fall.

The good news is, schrauth looks like a stud. Multiple times you saw him make the right move off a double to pick up a Blitzer. Whoever plays rt will look better because of schrauths play. He was very impressive.

Also impressive...Rocco Spindler came to play. He was a beast on the left side. If schrauth and Spindler hold down the guard spots like that during the season it's going to be a good year. The interior defense was on fire yesterday and these guys held up pretty good. We won't see better interior defense all year (maybe FSU)

Jagusah looks like a sophomore still learning the position. He will get better but will take time. We have to be patient there.

Yeah rt is a problem. Wagner looked better than tosh but missed his assignment multiple times. Most glaring is the 1st td pass to Rairden where he blocked inside letting outside rush run clean. Rb picked it up allowing the pass.

Wagner also catches in pass pro. He doesn't initiate contact. Let's be clear...catching is better than missing which is what baker did multiple times, but it's not good.

If Wagner gets to 300 he will likely start...but I don't think he gets there. No way he was 292 yesterday. Look at him standing next to schrauth. Schrauth is right at 305 and about the same height. Wagner is significantly smaller....having said that I think Lambert and Wagner will be battling in the fall.

The good news is, schrauth looks like a stud. Multiple times you saw him make the right move off a double to pick up a Blitzer. Whoever plays rt will look better because of schrauths play. He was very impressive.

Also impressive...Rocco Spindler came to play. He was a beast on the left side. If schrauth and Spindler hold down the guard spots like that during the season it's going to be a good year. The interior defense was on fire yesterday and these guys held up pretty good. We won't see better interior defense all year (maybe FSU)

Jagusah looks like a sophomore still learning the position. He will get better but will take time. We have to be patient there.
Based on yesterday, I’ll take an athletic long armed 285 lb Wagner over Baker if that’s my only choice. I hope you’re right that the starting job boils down to competition between Wagner and Lambert this Fall. I posted previously that it is highly unlikely, but I’d prefer getting an experienced grad LT who is better than Jugasah, but with a lower ceiling. Move Jugasah to RT and develop Lambert for starting LT next year.

How could you possibly know what protection was called ? Assuming a player blew an assignment without truly knowing what said players responsibility was is just speculation. Successful o line play is based on cohesiveness and assignment integrity. You do YOUR job. No free lancing. The back made the block, his responsibility. I'd bet for sure the protection call was to the inside.

How could you possibly know what protection was called ? Assuming a player blew an assignment without truly knowing what said players responsibility was is just speculation. Successful o line play is based on cohesiveness and assignment integrity. You do YOUR job. No free lancing. The back made the block, his responsibility. I'd bet for sure the protection call was to the inside.
Watch the play. He goes inside and allows the strong side end a free lane to the QB.

Very very unlikely that is what was called on a down field passing play.

You aren't going to hand your QB out to dry with only the RB in that situation.

Reactions: Chitown11
Based on yesterday, I’ll take an athletic long armed 285 lb Wagner over Baker if that’s my only choice. I hope you’re right that the starting job boils down to competition between Wagner and Lambert this Fall. I posted previously that it is highly unlikely, but I’d prefer getting an experienced grad LT who is better than Jugasah, but with a lower ceiling. Move Jugasah to RT and develop Lambert for starting LT next year.
I think Wagner will get a shot for sure. After seeing tosh we need him.

Lambert played rt in high school. He's projected as a lt, that's why I'm hoping he might offer an opportunity for plug and play at the rt spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT