ADVERTISEMENT

So ND has the 8th best line backer squad in the country

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
According to a reputable site the Irish have one of the best LB crew amoungest college football. You know the O-line is one of the best with sure fire pros, one of them is early first round material. You know the running back stable is deep and talented. The wide outs are a question mark, but Tyree looks like he is in for a banner year. ND’s corners back combo is the best it has ever been. Hartman is the best QB since Brady Quinn. Not on the standard of Clausen. MF says ND has enough to compete for a national championship, but until you beat the man nothing else matters. Georgia is the standard in college football, but ND held its own against Georgia the last two times they meet. Bama has serious QB issues. OSU does not have a top five QB sure fire NFL Stud. USC has some defensive issues. Clemson QB situation is totally unsettled, maybe B. Morrison can have another career game. The stars are aligning just beat Navy.

Reactions: IrishMike409
According to a reputable site the Irish have one of the best LB crew amoungest college football. You know the O-line is one of the best with sure fire pros, one of them is early first round material. You know the running back stable is deep and talented. The wide outs are a question mark, but Tyree looks like he is in for a banner year. ND’s corners back combo is the best it has ever been. Hartman is the best QB since Brady Quinn. Not on the standard of Clausen. MF says ND has enough to compete for a national championship, but until you beat the man nothing else matters. Georgia is the standard in college football, but ND held its own against Georgia the last two times they meet. Bama has serious QB issues. OSU does not have a top five QB sure fire NFL Stud. USC has some defensive issues. Clemson QB situation is totally unsettled, maybe B. Morrison can have another career game. The stars are aligning just beat Navy.

I urge you to read this article regarding OSU. I believe they also have some 5 star receivers. Coaching and players matter on D. Its not just about the players. Even so, the other top programs have dudes too. I would not automatically give ND any advantages other than their OL which appears to be both solid and deep and coached by an experienced guy.
Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/theath...state-kyle-mccord-devin-brown-ryan-day/?amp=1

What’s the “reputable site” ?

Coaching matters and we don’t have a top 25 HC according to PFF and sporting news has him at 35. Freeman has to prove he’s more than a smile and a nice guy. He’s got the talent I agree with you on that

Personally I think that’s way too high of a rating for our linebackers. With that said, I do agree that if there ever was a year for us to make a real run at the national title it does seem to be this year, based on the question marks of other top teams.

Reactions: Chitown11
Way too high. "Reputable?" I don't think so. Shows how little these reputable reporters know.

Think everyone will have more of an idea how good the linebackers are as the season progresses.
Lot of preseason bests and rankings coming out now. I always find it fun to check the accuracy of these lists at season's end.
For the most part their predictions for rankings and best don't favor the Irish and that's not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Way too high. "Reputable?" I don't think so. Shows how little these reputable reporters know.
One of the most experienced starting linebacking crews for sure, but they were hardly among the best at seasons end last year. Hope some of our young studs see increasing playing time and they prove to be among the best when this season is over.

One of the most experienced starting linebacking crews for sure, but they were hardly among the best at seasons end last year. Hope some of our young studs see increasing playing time and they prove to be among the best when this season is over.
Agree. Kizer is average at best. I've seen enough of Liufau blitzing the QB only to be blocked yet AGAIN. Bertrand is probably the better of the three. If given the opportunity I don't see how some of these young fast athletic guys don't get serious playing time (Sneed especially).

Reactions: IrishMike409
Agree. Kizer is average at best. I've seen enough of Liufau blitzing the QB only to be blocked yet AGAIN. Bertrand is probably the better of the three. If given the opportunity I don't see how some of these young fast athletic guys don't get serious playing time (Sneed especially).
And yet Liufau played more snaps than any other player on defense and was the highest rated linebacker in pass coverage. But like you, my lasting image is of him getting stood up time and time again when blitzing. Maybe this year our DL will demand double teams and free up our linebackers and defensive backs for the occasional free shot at the QB. And maybe this year they’ll actually sack the QB or force bad throws rather than flying by a sidestepping QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT