ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Predictions

Would it change anyone’s opinion if Boykin was ND? Loy on twitter suggested a crystal ball upset. Assumed all CBs were on Florida? Might be worth a watch?

ND getting back in it for Boykin and pulling that upset would be very nice. Boykin and Brown is not as good as Boykin and Irvin but it is still pretty good. Still doesn't address the concerns many have about the lines though.

The fact is we don't need a bunch of five-star recruits, we need recruits with talent that are committed to staying 4 years. In today's CFB landscape, ND will never again be the favored landing place for these 5 star kids. We will so much better served by talented (whether it be 4 star or 3 star) kids who will be here for 4 years.

Die Hard I disagree that we don't need 5 star recruits. If we could get one or two in every class would be great but I do agree with your statement that we will never be the landing spot for the majority of 5 star recruits. The college football landscape for the most part has changed.

ND getting back in it for Boykin and pulling that upset would be very nice. Boykin and Brown is not as good as Boykin and Irvin but it is still pretty good. Still doesn't address the concerns many have about the lines though.

It certainly would be a nice pull after ND landed 0 corners in 2017... In a perfect world you would land enough talent at corner that Griffith would start out at safety immediately and you don't have to screw around with him at CB and Derrik Allen would move to Rover, where he's be a comolete predator in no time, allowing Simon to make the Tranquill move to Buck, where hebwould be an unbelievable plus athlete.

Die Hard I disagree that we don't need 5 star recruits. If we could get one or two in every class would be great but I do agree with your statement that we will never be the landing spot for the majority of 5 star recruits. The college football landscape for the most part has changed.
NY, I hear ya, I was being a little flippant with that. But my overall point is/was that we just are not going to get those players. So the only real way we will ever compete again for a Natty is through continuity ... getting players with talent that can/will stay for 4 years. That kind of experience on a team can help to offset the lack of initial 5 star recruits. The growing number, year over year, that leave early is actually ruining CFB

ND doesn't need the majority. They just need a Quenton Nelson, Manti Te'o, Jaylon Smith, Michael Floyd or Stephon Tuitt in every class. Maybe two of those guys in a great recruiting year, insolated by quality players around them. The last time they did that they played for a national title with a red shirt freshman quartetback.

Not near the upside as Petit-Frere. A really solid consolation prize but when you lose McGlinchey and Nelson in the same year your hope is to replace them with prospects with similar upside. That's how great programs stay great programs. A revolving door of top end talent. Maybe one of the 4 big fellas in the class proves to be an underrated Zack Martin type, but that's hoping for a miracle. ND whiffed on its 4 top tackles in 2017 and it's 3-4 top tackles in 2018 as well. They still landed aome quality replacements, but it's something to watch moving forward to see if the line play drops off as the recruited talent dips.
Let's not forget the impact of Hainsey's unexpected rise as a freshman. He has far exceeded all expectations and, according to Long, is projected to be our starting left tackle next year. That significantly enhances the outlook of the 2017 OL haul. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the top 2018 OT prospects looked at ND's LT situation and decided it looks pretty closed for the next 2-3 years.

Getting Patterson makes today a winning day...

All week a lot of us were saying that we wanted a "surprise" and not just the four names that has been recycled over and over again.

Boykin would be icing....But based on the Surtain Jr. pick, that may have been the CB shocker that the recruiting experts were forecasting.

He was involved with Houston till they got full taking a QB but they felt he was going to ND. Hope to hear a positive on this soon.
Houston wasn't in his top three at the table. The video was up 15 minutes ago. I am just telling yall its done unless there is something weird like he announces one school and sends and NLI in to another.

IMO: NPF just didn't want to commit to the academics. You can say what you want about OSU vs. ND, but ND is one of the few colleges that expects ALL of its players to perform in (real) classrooms. Urban uses this all the time against ND. "You can get a degree here and not be bothered by all the academic pressure." Know the coaches use all the ND academic suspensions (how many did OSU, Ala, OKl, have last year?! and are their kids smarter than ours? NO!!!) and stories like how stressed players like Tranquil with classwork, projects, tests was during a big game week. Not that there aren't some academic football players at all schools, it is the expectation that ALL of NDs players take real majors and have to compete in the classroom with students who are in the top #10 in the country in terms of admissions (SAT, ACT, GPA.) The majority of kids who just want to get to the NFL don't want to be bothered.

I'll take the kids who want that challenge and play with them. Keep them for the 4th and 5th years and then send them happily to the first round of the NFL draft.

Let's not forget the impact of Hainsey's unexpected rise as a freshman. He has far exceeded all expectations and, according to Long, is projected to be our starting left tackle next year. That significantly enhances the outlook of the 2017 OL haul. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the top 2018 OT prospects looked at ND's LT situation and decided it looks pretty closed for the next 2-3 years.

JMO, Hainsey would be an All American center. He'll likely play tackle out of neccessity but the hope is still that Eichenberg or Lugg win that doot and move Hainsey inside where his 6'4, 305lb frame would be better suited.

IMO, elite looks like...

LT: Nick Petit-Frere (JR)
LG: Tommy Kraemer (5th)
C: Robert Hainsey (SR)

Would have been nice to have NPF but in the end ND is a commitment to the classroom as well as the football field. That just isn't the case at a school like OSU.

Would have been nice to have NPF but in the end ND is a commitment to the classroom as well as the football field. That just isn't the case at a school like OSU.
In all honesty, I can't blame him. I, like the majority on this board, would chose ND in a heartbeat if given the opportunity..... but if you don't grow up being a huge fan, it wouldn't be that obvious. Think about it, if you are a legit talent like NPF, your goal is/should be to make the NFL.... and quite simply OSU would give you a better chance for that. Now granted, it is slim to make the league and that is where an ND degree would trump an OSU degree.... but an OSU degree is a degree nonetheless.

Like i said, stay classy fella

You realize that there are people on here who can see your post history, profile (even though you try to block it), & what you have said?
You are an OSU fan, not ND.

Like I said, bye.

1. Here are the most popular majors for each of the schools in the ACC:
    • Boston College: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
    • Clemson: Parks, recreation and tourism management
    • Duke: Sociology
    • Florida State: Social science
    • Georgia Tech: Business administration
    • Louisville: Communication
    • Miami: Sport administration
    • North Carolina: Exercise and sport science
    • NC State: N/A*
    • Notre Dame: First Year of Studies
    • Pittsburgh: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
    • Syracuse: Communication
    • Virginia: Arts and sciences
    • Virginia Tech: Human development
    • Wake Forest: N/A**
"First Year of Studies" is what every ND student takes Freshman year. Then they declare their majors. So our football players -- fresh out of high school -- are asked to compete with the best students in the country in the classroom. That isn't the case in other school. For example: do you think many Clemson students are going to spend 60K a year to study "Parks, recreation and tourism management" Gimme a break! That is a place to stick football players on hold for the NFL.

In the Big Ten:

1. Here are the most popular majors for each of the schools in the Big Ten:
    • Illinois: General studies
    • Indiana: Liberal studies
    • Iowa: Business
    • Maryland: Criminal justice
    • Michigan: General studies
    • Michigan State: Advertising
    • Minnesota: Business and marketing education
    • Nebraska: Business administration
    • Northwestern: Economics
    • Ohio State: Sport industry
    • Penn State: Kinesiology
    • Purdue: Management
    • Rutgers: Criminal justice
    • Wisconsin: Life sciences communication
"Sports Industry?"

Okay, I'm not putting down players who are setting their sights on the NFL, not one bit. I am only saying that Kelly and his coaches start from a disadvantage as most of those future NFL players want to prepare for the NFL, they don't want to deal with onerous course loads

They don't want to become Supreme Court Justices!

Okay, I'll stop, even I think I'm becoming tiresome here! We do need a five star each year but it is hard to find the kind of guys who are willing to deal with NDs academics.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgaynor
In all honesty, I can't blame him. I, like the majority on this board, would chose ND in a heartbeat if given the opportunity..... but if you don't grow up being a huge fan, it wouldn't be that obvious. Think about it, if you are a legit talent like NPF, your goal is/should be to make the NFL.... and quite simply OSU would give you a better chance for that. Now granted, it is slim to make the league and that is where an ND degree would trump an OSU degree.... but an OSU degree is a degree nonetheless.

I don't think going to OSU gives him a better shot at the NFL. We've put a bunch of OL in the pros in recent years. He probably chose them for the lighter academic load, as well as their better records on the field under Meyer. He hasn't won fewer than 11 games there yet. It is what it is. But I think we have a very solid class this year overall.

I don't think going to OSU gives him a better shot at the NFL. We've put a bunch of OL in the pros in recent years. He probably chose them for the lighter academic load, as well as their better records on the field under Meyer. He hasn't won fewer than 11 games there yet. It is what it is. But I think we have a very solid class this year overall.
I do think he would have a better chance to go to the NFL at OSU for the reasons you listed. Less time on school= more time on practice. Winning more games= more time in the spotlight.

But, I agree we have a great class this year overall from what I can tell.

So, is this right? (Going on 247 rankings.)

4* Boykin
4* Keyes
4* Patterson
3* Brown
3* Flemster

I will eat some Crow. I thought Boykin was done as early at 3 weeks ago. Staff did a great job staying on this guy.

Boykin surprised everyone. The big question now will be whether or not they can keep him around. There are some concerns about fit, but I love the idea of going off profile for a couple guys each cycle if they are ballers. Boykin is a tremendous baller.

So kelly loses his D coordinator and O line coach and still finishes with two DBs and one OL. out of the five commits. good hustle coach.

I like this finish. Would have loved NPF but Quinn needs to prove himself and go get a 5* OL next year! This class filled out its DBs and Ss nicely!

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Terry Joseph is a bad bad man

Watched him talking to DJ Brown on the phone at UND.com. Heard him speak for about 30 seconds and I already know he'll be a great recruiter. As someone who has spent years recruiting personally and following recruiting, you understand what guys relate well with kids. Joseph is one of those guys that people the recruits will love. He finished his conversation with Brown by calling him Babe lol. Brown loved it. Great hire by Kelly. Get this man in Litchfield Ajavon's house with Clark Lea, immediately. Ronnie Hickman, Nick Cross, Nana-Osafo Mensah, Kenyatta Watson as well.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT