ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Predictions

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Any predictions? Still a couple of real blue-chippers who have ND in play (according to Loy).

C'Bo is a real need at RB.
Petit Frère or Patterson is a need at OL. (PF a 5* would be awesome!)
Eason is a need at DE.
DJ at DB looks good.
Solo would be a real surprise and an amazing pickup -- but I'm pretty happy with our LB haul.
Keys III would also be nice but I'm pretty happy with our WR haul this year.

My dream three (need-wise) would be:
C'Bo
Petit Frère
Eason
(and)
DJ

But any of these guys would be great pickups for the Irish coaching staff!
Any chance we take more than 3?

Any chance we take more than 3?

99% chance we take more than 3 since ND leads for 4 & are still going after a couple more they would 100% make room for.
(And that is not even counting Luke Jones who will be Irish who hasn’t signed yet).

So the class most likely will end with:

Luke Jones (verballed, not signed)
C’Bo
Keys
Brown
Eason

And 33% chance at NPF & 5% at Solo.

So anywhere from 4-7 ND would still take, but most likely 4-5 counting Jones.

Reactions: justified1
It won't be a strong finish but ND should get some quality bodies at positions of need, unlike in some previous classes where the late additions were serious reaches. In particular, I think DJ Brown is a real player and if given some time will be a 2-deep CB or safety.

C'Bo Flemister is a tough one for me because he plays against less than stellar competition in Georgia, but has been extremely productive. He's a also a strange combination of athletic jump cutter, who could also bulk up into a bigger back. Has a little bit of Ryan Grant in him, albeit on a 5'11, 195lb frame. I'll be interested to see how he develops.

As of today I have it...

Lawrence Keys (ND)
DJ Brown (ND)
Derrick Eason (ND)
C'Bo Flemister (ND)
Jarrett Patterson (UCLA)
Nick Petit-Frere (Ohio State / Florida)
Solomon Tuliaupupu (USC)

Unless they pull the upset on Petit-Frere or Tuliaupupu, another weak finish for Notre Dame after building early recruiting momemtum. For the record, a strong finish would have looked like...

Amon-Ra St. Brown or Josh Moore
Nick Petit-Frere
Solomon Tuliaupupu
Noah Boykin or Julius Irvin
Malik Langham

Petit frere may be headed to Florida or Ohio State but I did watch in those high school camps Under armor , but the #1 defensive end heading to Alabama Eyabi Anoma had no trouble going around Petit Frere

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Petit frere may be headed to Florida or Ohio State but I did watch in those high school camps Under armor , but the #1 defensive end heading to Alabama Eyabi Anoma had no trouble going around Petit Frere

Ronnie Stanley was basically the exact same player at the same age. Anoma is much more physically ready than Petit-Frere is right now. Nick has the frame, athleticism and willingness that you want in a future LT, but he needs to add about 40lbs. Fortunately, that should be no problem whatsoever for a strength staff, if he's willing to put in the work. That's why every coach in the nation covets his services and why he's ranked as a 5 star player. The potential is obviously there. Just needs to get to college level size and strength.

He's a surefire redshirt, but will be a 300lb'er by his sophmore year and by time he's off to the NFL, he'll be a 315lb mountain and a clone of Stanley.

It won't be a strong finish but ND should get some quality bodies at positions of need, unlike in some previous classes where the late additions were serious reaches. In particular, I think DJ Brown is a real player and if given some time will be a 2-deep CB or safety.

C'Bo Flemister is a tough one for me because he plays against less than stellar competition in Georgia, but has been extremely productive. He's a also a strange combination of athletic jump cutter, who could also bulk up into a bigger back. Has a little bit of Ryan Grant in him, albeit on a 5'11, 195lb frame. I'll be interested to see how he develops.

As of today I have it...

Lawrence Keys (ND)
DJ Brown (ND)
Derrick Eason (ND)
C'Bo Flemister (ND)
Jarrett Patterson (UCLA)
Solomon Tuliaupupu (USC)

Unless they pull the upset on Petit-Frere or Tuliaupupu, another weak finish for Notre Dame after building early recruiting momentum. For the record, a strong finish would have looked like...

Nick Petit-Frere
Solomon Tuliaupupu
Malik Langham

agree in prior years it seemed that last minute players seemed more as fillers who could not contribute anything meaningful except if we were stretched thin by injuries and desperate. The plan b and in some cases plan A's (NPF) I could see helping the Irish tremendously.

As of today I have it...

Lawrence Keys (ND)
DJ Brown (ND)
Derrick Eason (ND)
C'Bo Flemister (ND)
Jarrett Patterson (UCLA)
Solomon Tuliaupupu (USC)

Unless they pull the upset on Petit-Frere or Tuliaupupu, another weak finish for Notre Dame after building early recruiting momemtum. For the record, a strong finish would have looked like...

Nick Petit-Frere
Solomon Tuliaupupu
Malik Langham

Not sure why missing on Solo would indicate a weak finish. Are you not a believer in Lamb and Bauer? I do agree that NPF would sweeten the pot quite a bit. But overall, I think this is a very strong (overall) class.

Reactions: Pennick4
agree in prior years it seemed that last minute players seemed more as fillers who could not contribute anything meaningful except if we were stretched thin by injuries and desperate. The plan b and in some cases plan A's (NPF) I could see helping the Irish tremendously.

Last year on NSD ND signed Amosa, Owusu & Wardlow.
A starter, maybe two, & the third a contributor this coming season as Sophomores.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Last year on NSD ND signed Amosa, Owusu & Wardlow.
A starter, maybe two, & the third a contributor this coming season as Sophomores.

i guess what I am trying to say is the overall quality of recruit over the past cycle and current has improved. If we get good QB play with the players we are getting and what seems to a great start on the next cycle we may be competing at the worst a new years 6 bowl and possibly playoffs

i guess what I am trying to say is the overall quality of recruit over the past cycle and current has improved. If we get good QB play with the players we are getting and what seems to a great start on the next cycle we may be competing at the worst a new years 6 bowl and possibly playoffs

The recruiting has been very good, I’m not going to complain. If not for HH going to the Bears NFP would probably be Irish. And Elko betraying his word didn’t help either.
The key in ‘19 is getting the DL talent that all have ND very high, & taking advantage of the very strong Midwest OL class.
Also, ND is in very good shape with a couple RBs & some DB’s I would like them to lock down. QB, LB & TE are taken care of, so really all that leaves is WR. ND did well with WR this year so don’t need a HR class next year.

If ND scores big with OL & DL, & gets two RBs of their group then they will have a pretty awesome back to back haul.

Not sure why missing on Solo would indicate a weak finish. Are you not a believer in Lamb and Bauer? I do agree that NPF would sweeten the pot quite a bit. But overall, I think this is a very strong (overall) class.

It's not about how I feel regarding ND's fringe top 10 class before the late additions. It's that if ND could ever close really strong, they'd be in a position for a top 5 class. Multiple classes in that range is one of the key ingredients to winning a national championship. Adding a guy like Tuliaupupu takes ND's LB haul from from excellent to like the best nationally. The more talent you can recruit at a position, the more likely you are to turn out an excellent starter through competiton and quality depth behind him. That depth is another integral past of a chasing a national title via a playoff spot.

There is a huge difference in even what was a realistic finish of

OT: Nick Petit-Frere
WR: Lawrence Keys
LB: Solomon Tuliaupupu
CB: Julius Irvin
RB: C'Bo Flemister

VS

DE: Derrick Eason
CB: DJ Brown

You Can have a strong class and weak finish compared to expectations.

As of today I have it...

Lawrence Keys (ND)
DJ Brown (ND)
Derrick Eason (ND)
C'Bo Flemister (ND)
Jarrett Patterson (UCLA)
Solomon Tuliaupupu (USC)

Nick Petit-Frere
Solomon Tuliaupupu
Malik Langham
if it plays out how you say how is it a "weak" finish ? i think you're splitting hairs.

I see IIO. I NPF would be an amazing get. We are a bit spoiled recently at the OL position, consistently getting top 10 guys there. I hear next year's class is solid but for me he would be the biggest get this year, a 5* who would set up a solid OL for years -- that is if Quinn is the recruiter/coach we all hope he is.

Seems to me we are already the top five LB-class in the nation?

Reactions: cgaynor
I see IIO. I NPF would be an amazing get. We are a bit spoiled recently at the OL position, consistently getting top 10 guys there. I hear next year's class is solid but for me he would be the biggest get this year, a 5* who would set up a solid OL for years -- that is if Quinn is the recruiter/coach we all hope he is.

Seems to me we are already the top five LB-class in the nation?

I would say we have a top 3 LB class even.

And funny enough Rivals dropped Allen from top 50 to just outside the top 100 because they feel he will end up an OLB (Rover) instead of a Safety. And when asked about that they said he would probably be a top 5 to 10 OLB in this class.

It's not about how I feel regarding ND's fringe top 10 class before the late additions. It's that if ND could ever close really strong, they'd be in a position for a top 5 class. Multiple classes in that range is one of the key ingredients to winning a national championship. Adding a guy like Tuliaupupu takes ND's LB haul from from excellent to like the best nationally. The more talent you can recruit at a position, the more likely you are to turn out an excellent starter through competiton and quality depth behind him. That depth is another integral past of a chasing a national title via a playoff spot.

There is a huge difference in even what was a realistic finish of

OT: Nick Petit-Frere
LB: Solomon Tuliaupupu
CB: Julius Irvin

VS

DE: Derrick Eason
CB: DJ Brown

This kind of sums it up for me as well....Overall, I am very happy with the class we are bringing in.

However, when there was all of this talk about a huge close, it caused me to get excited and slowly, one-by-one, all of the blue chippers seemed to trickle away.

That does not mean I am not high on the likes of Eason, Brown, etc....They just are not the "sexy" signings that seemed feasible a month ago.

Losing two top coaches during the period also added to the disappointment.

That having been said, I'll support every person that puts on the Gold helmet.

Last edited:
if it plays out how you say how is it a "weak" finish ? i think you're splitting hairs.

If it plays out as I suggested it might, I would be disappointed because all of the top guys that ND was after down the stretch will have chosen to go elsewhere and ND will be left with it's plan B and Plan C guys to fill each of the final 4-5 positions. Relative to how the teams ND is competing for a playoff spot with are closing their classes, it would be a "weak" finish...

Now... Somehow manage to land pull

Nick Petit-Frere
Lawrence Keys
Noah Boykin
C'Bo Flemister

And that at least salvages ehat could have been an excellent finish had some things went ND's way.

It seems Eason is a done deal now.
So ND got another DE it needed.
NC State has been among the elite at scouting DL talent recently, so this could be a pretty good late flip for ND at a position of need.

Reactions: nemeth#5
I feel most confident in C Bo, Jones, Eason and DJ Brown.

I want Keys but there is something holding him back or he would have committed by now. There is still a good chance. Solo is SC I think. Patterson UCLA. Boykin UF because I heard CB is wide open there for him.

I think there is a chance for NPF. Local school wants him but he can't bring himself to eliminate us. Local schools usually win these battles but I keep seeing references that he is an ND type guy.

I want Keys but there is something holding him back or he would have committed by now. There is still a good chance. Solo is SC I think. Patterson UCLA. Boykin UF because I heard CB is wide open there for him.

I think there is a chance for NPF. Local school wants him but he can't bring himself to eliminate us. Local schools usually win these battles but I keep seeing references that he is an ND type guy.

Agree with all of this except I think Keys will be ours. At this late stage, no harm for him (from his perspective) to just wait till NSD for an announcement.

Texas mod predicted Keys to ND, so I think that is a great sign.

No one in Austin thinks UT is in the lead for Keys and they just got a better prospect that they may be putting in the slot. Feel as confident about Keys if not more then I would about Eason.

No one in Austin thinks UT is in the lead for Keys and they just got a better prospect that they may be putting in the slot. Feel as confident about Keys if not more then I would about Eason.

They still want Keys, but got on him too late. ND was in early on him, back when he was a low 3 Star everybody was ignoring. Now he is a composite 4 Star & top 300 player everybody wants with even more of an upside. Was a great job by ND on his recruitment. Even the LSU & Texas mods are talking how a lot of teams missed on this kid.

Eason is pretty much a lock. He didn’t allow any teams to visit him in-home this week other than ND, & NC State went ahead & offered a Juco kid at the same position a few days ago & did his OV over the weekend where he committed to them.

So at this point C’Bo, Eason, Brown & Keys seems to be pretty much ND locks.

They still want Keys, but got on him too late. ND was in early on him, back when he was a low 3 Star everybody was ignoring. Now he is a composite 4 Star & top 300 player everybody wants with even more of an upside. Was a great job by ND on his recruitment. Even the LSU & Texas mods are talking how a lot of teams missed on this kid.

Eason is pretty much a lock. He didn’t allow any teams to visit him in-home this week other than ND, & NC State went ahead & offered a Juco kid at the same position a few days ago & did his OV over the weekend where he committed to them.

NDAFArly
Wanted to take the chance say I appreciated the exchanges, and the information you offered, with yourself and beachcardinal in the related threads on recruiting.

NDAFArly
Wanted to take the chance say I appreciated the exchanges, and the information you offered, with yourself and beachcardinal in the related threads on recruiting.

No problem.
I remember years ago I always tried to find things out I couldn’t, so now I try to put out what I’m allowed to.
Obviously I’m not going to post anything I’m asked not to or anything that isn’t out there, just post what is being shared by the professionals to help clear up any confusion or rumors. Everything I post comes directly from reliable sources, not my own opinion or my buddy’s brother’s mechanic’s roommate...

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Thanks Farlay! I'm happy with the guys it seems we will get. Hoping for one (positive) surprise come Wednesday.

Any guys that ND doesn't get will be because late in the game they couldn't get past admissions and ND staff had to walk away.

I am not saying they don't want him I am saying that everyone down here that I know that cares about UT recruiting and/or writes on UT recruiting thinks it is over.

Us looking for 3 star depth to fill holes vs Ohio state and clemson fighting for the big fishies is the difference between being a pretender and a contender. We need 5 star talent

Any guys that ND doesn't get will be because late in the game they couldn't get past admissions and ND staff had to walk away.

Uh, no.
NFP is somebody they want who would past admissions easily.
The guys they want but can’t pass admissions they didn’t offer or stopped with a long time ago. Like Micah Parsons. He & his father grew up ND fans and was even a member on the ND message board & chat with other recruits. ND never offered because they knew he couldn’t get in. He contacted the coaches & wanted to visit last year & they had to tell him he could do what he wanted but they weren’t offering. You don’t think ND wanted him? They just can’t get him in.

But being a Buckeye fan you wouldn’t understand those things. Urban Meyer had to assign multiple chaperones to Micah when he visited, & even cover up the problems he got into. He didn’t stop recruiting him until the violation on national TV he committed with OSU.

Reactions: Kelso86
I am not saying they don't want him I am saying that everyone down here that I know that cares about UT recruiting and/or writes on UT recruiting thinks it is over.

Tonight, about 30 minutes ago, the mods said that they spoke with Texas mods & they said Texas coaches contacted Keys last night after his OV to SMU, just before the quiet period started & tried to sway him over to Texas. They told him even with the other WRs they have a spot held for him & he is a priority. So Texas is still trying up until the end. The mods then said the LSU sources close to Keys said he is still is leaning ND.

Us looking for 3 star depth to fill holes vs Ohio state and clemson fighting for the big fishies is the difference between being a pretender and a contender. We need 5 star talent

You realize that Brown had offers from Clemson & OSU, right? He was scheduled to OV OSU this past weekend but canceled it after ND’s in-home.
Keys is a top 300 4 Star.

ND signed a lot of players who had offers from Bama, OSU, Clemson, etc.
ND just signed them early.

Clemson only had three 5 Stars (one didn’t even play) in the 4 classes that made up the back to back title game teams.
OSU has two 3 Stars & a 2 Star in their secondary that were drafted in the first 2 rounds of the draft.
Phil was/is the #1 target on Urban’s big board at OSU. Urban contacted Phil consistently for over 3 years right up until he signed.

You can look for negatives all day if you want, but who wants to live that way?

You realize that Brown had offers from Clemson & OSU, right? He was scheduled to OV OSU this past weekend but canceled it after ND’s in-home.

Clemson only had three 5 Stars (one didn’t even play) in the 4 classes that made up the back to back title game teams.
OSU has two 3 Stars & a 2 Star in their secondary that were drafted in the first 2 rounds of the draft.
Phil was/is the #1 target on Urban’s big board at OSU. Urban contacted Phil consistently for over 3 years right up until he signed.

I do like DJ brown. But a couple of the guys we are trying to sign are ranked outside of the top 1000. These guys are like plan C guys because we missed at critical positions. To be a contending program that can't happen. I'm not being negative. I'm being critical.

Just watched some tapes of the guys who are likely to sign and here is my honest assessment.
Derrick Eason- 3 star talent, does not stand out to me. Seems like a guy you pick up because you whiffed at the spot. Wasn't bad film, but not a great prospect.
Flemister- wow.... my type of back. Very underrated. Smooth cuts, explosive and intense. Maybe he is a plan C guy. But I don't care. Plays like a top 250 player in the country. Will get carries as a frosh

Another thing I get when I watch film of Flemister. You know what I'm really freaking tired of? Bryan Driskell alluded to this in a podcast. We had way too many skill position guys who it seemed did not demand the ball. They seemed way too indifferent to me. Doesn't seem like Flemister is that type of football player. Will be a stud. Mark my words. Him and bauer 2 best players in this class.

Texas mod predicted Keys to ND, so I think that is a great sign.

That is a great sign. We need more guys who can make big chunk plays. Keys, and Lenzy with their speed/quicks can do that. Austin can do it with his overall receiver skills (reminds me of Floyd). If we get Keys, this would be a very good big play haul.

Tonight, about 30 minutes ago, the mods said that they spoke with Texas mods & they said Texas coaches contacted Keys last night after his OV to SMU, just before the quiet period started & tried to sway him over to Texas. They told him even with the other WRs they have a spot held for him & he is a priority. So Texas is still trying up until the end. The mods then said the LSU sources close to Keys said he is still is leaning ND.
Ok? I am not disagreeing with you just hearing from people in Austin who write on UT that they (UT and the media surrounding the program) Do not believe he signs with UT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT