ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday vs Northern....

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
OK, I hate talking this way, but this should certainly be an Irish win. Win is the #1 goal.

What else are we looking to do on Saturday as we prep for stronger opponents? Some of my thoughts:

1. Continue to strengthen and solidify the OL. Development from Knapp and Sam. This group could be awesome, let's get them on that trajectory.

2. Get the passing game synced up. Get Riley and the WRs really on the same page. I like this WR group. It could be outstanding. Anxious to see Riley Leonard and the WRs get some time to really work.

3. Get Evans healthier and back playing at game speed. He's such a damn weapon. Let's get him rolling like he was in 23.

4. Continued development on ST. A lot of new faces at critical positions.

5. Not sure what to say about the D. The group was flat out awesome Saturday. They'll keep getting better as the LBs and young DBs get more snaps. This group could be elite.

6. Stay healthy.

Northern Illinois is one of the lowest ranked teams in the FBS (ranked way down at #103).

If this game isn't a one sided stomp with the backups playing the majority of the 2nd half then its a loss IMO.

Does ND come with the right mindset after a huge win and getting home super late. 2 years ago, it was marshall after ohio state.

Need to get Pass pro going and push the ball down the field.

More consistent run game

Right mindset on D to lock in and dominate.

Nice summation. I’ve only rewatched the first 20ish minutes of A&M. Pass protection needs to get sorted out aside from innate abilities. Leonard and receivers need to get on the same page.

Obviously we don’t affect the game as fans, and I’m not saying you’re overlooking anyway, but it’s not a scrimmage vs NIU. Idaho gave Oregon a game.

OK, I hate talking this way, but this should certainly be an Irish win. Win is the #1 goal.

What else are we looking to do on Saturday as we prep for stronger opponents? Some of my thoughts:

1. Continue to strengthen and solidify the OL. Development from Knapp and Sam. This group could be awesome, let's get them on that trajectory.

2. Get the passing game synced up. Get Riley and the WRs really on the same page. I like this WR group. It could be outstanding. Anxious to see Riley Leonard and the WRs get some time to really work.

3. Get Evans healthier and back playing at game speed. He's such a damn weapon. Let's get him rolling like he was in 23.

5. Not sure what to say about the D. The group was flat out awesome Saturday. They'll keep getting better as the LBs and young DBs get more snaps. This group could be elite.

6. Stay healthy.
#6 is #1 … the rest will take care of itself. Let’s get the backup QB in with the first team offense for a good stretch in the 2nd half. The way Leonard runs and takes hits we will probably see Angelli take some meaningful snaps at some point.

#6 is #1 … the rest will take care of itself. Let’s get the backup QB in with the first team offense for a good stretch in the 2nd half. The way Leonard runs and takes hits we will probably see Angelli take some meaningful snaps at some point.
That would be a nice …Angelli was outstanding in the bowl game.

6. Stay healthy.
You hit all the major ones for me

One thing on defense I'd like to see/add is the DL being able to rush the passer, win one on one's without the blitz. We only had 1 sack against Am and we need the pass rush to develop to go from top 8 to top 3.

Let's see Oben, Traore, Burnham, Young get some heat on the QB

I’m hoping for 63-0, planning for 38-10.

Keys I’d like to see:

1. Continued growth from the OL. No sacks. Low penalties.

2. Dominance in the run game.

3. A viewpoint into the deep passing game.

4. Defense just keep doing what they do.

6. Stay healthy.
Good list IrishMike. I thought Leonard and the receivers were out of sync on way too many plays. Time playing together will cure this, and Saturday is a perfect game to start adding mid and long throws to the equation. I think Evans is going to be a multi game process of increasing his number of plays and confidence in his knee. I don’t expect a breakout by him on Saturday. And as Golson stated, really want to see our DEs bring some pressure on the QB and get sacks with a four man push.

Northern Illinois is one of the lowest ranked teams in the FBS (ranked way down at #103).

If this game isn't a one sided stomp with the backups playing the majority of the 2nd half then its a loss IMO.
So then do you consider #3 Oregon a loss to Idaho or #9 Michigan a loss to Fresno State?

Reactions: BGI User 756
You hit all the major ones for me

One thing on defense I'd like to see/add is the DL being able to rush the passer, win one on one's without the blitz. We only had 1 sack against Am and we need the pass rush to develop to go from top 8 to top 3.

Let's see Oben, Traore, Burnham, Young get some heat on the QB
NIU has a mobile QB that likes to get outside the pocket with run pass options, they also run a lot of jet sweeps.

So i don't think you'll see our dline pin their ears back other than 3rd and long. I expect it's a push the pocket kinda DL game plan and keep him in the pocket.

NIU has a mobile QB that likes to get outside the pocket with run pass options, they also run a lot of jet sweeps.

So i don't think you'll see our dline pin their ears back other than 3rd and long. I expect it's a push the pocket kinda DL game plan and keep him in the pocket.
Doesn't matter. Get pressure on the Qb from inside or outside. Win one on one's. Use your hands better. Work on your pass rush moves. Gotta have more pressure

The biggest issue in games like this is a mental breakdown. Regardless of the level of competition the same things always hold true. No turnovers , limit penalties and execution. If those things fail , then even the weakest of teams have a chance

So then do you consider #3 Oregon a loss to Idaho or #9 Michigan a loss to Fresno State?
No I'd consider it a bad showing and a resulting loss in f+ rating and a diminished outlook going forward for the team

No I'd consider it a bad showing and a resulting loss in f+ rating and a diminished outlook going forward for the team
😂 but if ND has a closer than expected game vs Northern Illinois it's a loss? And you wonder why you are ridiculed and mocked on this forum.

To your point that's why relying solely on computers isn't the end all be all. Otherwise Georgia would be going for its 4th straight national championship, yet they didn't even make the playoff last season.

😂 but if ND has a closer than expected game vs Northern Illinois it's a loss? And you wonder why you are ridiculed and mocked on this forum.

To your point that's why relying solely on computers isn't the end all be all. Otherwise we Georgia would be going for its 4th straight national championship, yet they didn't even make the playoff last season.
When I say loss, I don't mean loss in the win loss column. This is a word choice issue but the overall point I was making is still valid.

And computers & statistics are GREAT for evaluating and projecting football team performance (in the right context of course). These systems are automated and require lots of data over a number of weeks (& even entire seasons) to really start showing how accurate they can be. I remember last season, after the first several weeks of the season, I was getting a TON of blowback because of weird outliers that take place in small sample sizes over the first few weeks of the season.

But as the games piled up (the sample size got larger) and the wheat separated from the chaff in football, the computers & statistics started to show just how spot on they can be, especially in aggregate, and especially when utilized correctly.

When I say loss, I don't mean loss in the win loss column. This is a word choice issue but the overall point I was making is still valid.

And computers & statistics are GREAT for evaluating and projecting football team performance (in the right context of course). These systems are automated and require lots of data over a number of weeks (& even entire seasons) to really start showing how accurate they can be. I remember last season, after the first several weeks of the season, I was getting a TON of blowback because of weird outliers that take place in small sample sizes over the first few weeks of the season.

But as the games piled up (the sample size got larger) and the wheat separated from the chaff in football, the computers & statistics started to show just how spot on they can be, especially in aggregate, and especially when utilized correctly.
I know what you meant by loss, I was just pointing out how you use that analogy for ND, but make no mention of it with Oregon.

I'm not reading the rest of your comment because it's useless. I understand how the computers calculate performance and future performance of teams. Don't need a lecture on it.
Again, F+ will be correct a little over 50% over the course of the season. With those percentages, I have just as good a chance of picking winners then the computers do.

I know what you meant by loss. I'm not reading the rest of your comment because it's useless. I understand how the computers calculate performance and future performance of teams. Don't need a lecture on it.
Again, F+ will be correct a little over 50% over the course of the season. With those percentages, I have just as good a chance of picking winners then the computers do.
This is what I mean by the computers/statistics needing to be utilized correctly.

They are not great at picking individual games .. their power is in demonstrating the relative quality difference between teams over a sufficient sample of games.

It's kind of like the recruiting rankings. They aren't always right in individual cases, but really show their strength in aggregate when the sample size gets larger (e.g. these 100 recruits will perform to their recruiting rankings on aggregate, even if there are underrated 3 stars, and overrated 5 stars in that sample)

6. Stay healthy.
Amil Wagner also made his first career start on Saturday and the fact that he really hasn't been mentioned is a good thing. I thought he was rock solid. Got bull rushed one time but hell that happens to everyone on occasion.

This is what I mean by the computers/statistics needing to be utilized correctly.

They are not great at picking individual games .. their power is in demonstrating the relative quality difference between teams over a sufficient sample of games.

It's kind of like the recruiting rankings. They aren't always right in individual cases, but really show their strength in aggregate when the sample size gets larger (e.g. these 100 recruits will perform to their recruiting rankings on aggregate, even if there are underrated 3 stars, and overrated 5 stars in that sample)
You contradict yourself. In another post you stated Vegas uses them to set the lines. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. You constantly contradict yourself. You move the goal posts when things don't go your way, you look foolish 90% of the time.

You contradict yourself. In another post you stated Vegas uses them to set the lines. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. You constantly contradict yourself. You move the goal posts when things don't go your way, you look foolish 90% of the time.
I think people tend to categorize my takes a certain way so aren't able to see them with nuance.

I am a die hard notre dame fan. I'm probably very bias in favor of Notre Dame as a result. But people take what I say, and my analysis, and put it through this filter of hate, and as a result aren't able to see the nuance in the points that or the analysis I publish here.

These statistical models are better than flying blind/shooting from the hip when it comes to individual game predictions (i think F+ was correct against the spread about 55-60% of the time over the course of a three year sample of games back in the early 10s based on a study i read years ago) but the true strength of the system is when its used to look at the field of college football teams in aggregate (all 130 teams) to determine how teams stack up to each other and to what degree of separation is one team better (or worse) than another.

But people take what I say, and my analysis, and put it through this filter of hate, and as a result aren't able to see the nuance in the points that or the analysis I publish here.

These statistical models are better than flying blind/shooting from the hip when it comes to individual game predictions (i think F+ was correct against the spread about 55-60% of the time over the course of a three year sample of games back in the early 10s based on a study i read years ago) but the true strength of the system is when its used to look at the field of college football teams in aggregate (all 130 teams) to determine how teams stack up to each other and to what degree of separation is one team better (or worse) than another.

No hate involved, but your analysis are based on a non-supported system that you are unable to defend because you really have no knowledge of its algorithm. You have tried describing these systems as scientific when they are just someone's model that can't be tested; little different from QBR calculators setup to favor one statistic over another with no validation method included.

Your analysis using these methods is at best equivalent to gettibg a "C" grade on an analytical essay.

We really don’t care what you think.

Just FYI.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I don't see a let down here. ND rolls 56 - 7 with the confidence they built off of the A&M win.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't see a let down here. ND rolls 56 - 7 with the confidence they built off of the A&M win.
I would be surprised if it was that big a margin. They aren't that bad. Hope you're right

I would go 41 to 10. A little slow start due to hangover

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT