ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Rees and Jurkovec had Issues

Most people “hate” the idea of Rees getting the OC position now. Bryan also said he thinks Rees has a great football mind & with more time & maturity will be an excellent OC. It’s the face ND is a top 10 program & bringing in elite offensive players, & Rees has zero experience as OC.
And Bryan isn’t the only one reporting what you said. Three other sites are also reporting it, as someone else mentioned above.
If you are going to make these claims please provide links/quotes/etc.

You are the biggest Bryan Driskell cult member and ND establishment hack that exists on this site.

Dont know if anyone is on Instagram and I dont know how much to put into it... but after it was announced PJ was leaving Ian posted a picture of him saying "The circle got smaller" and TR 'liked' it. . . I thought it was a little unnecessary but for all I know it could be about something completely different lol.
Wow if that's true that's terrible by both of them. TR shows some immaturity there.

People hate the fact that a young guy is going to get a promotion of his life/an opportunity of his life and are now leaking unfounded rumors/and trashing him.

lol only at notre dame

Most people “hate” the idea of Rees getting the OC position now. Bryan also said he thinks Rees has a great football mind & with more time & maturity will be an excellent OC. It’s the face ND is a top 10 program & bringing in elite offensive players, & Rees has zero experience as OC.
And Bryan isn’t the only one reporting what you said. Three other sites are also reporting it, as someone else mentioned above.
Exactly, Bryan, while yes I agree had been verbally in Phil's corner, is not the only one. Many have said they don't like the Rees hire, if in fact he does become the OC. Eric Hansen is very well respected and is very careful choosing sides but agrees that ND is better off with an experienced OC and let Rees get more experience, especially in recruting.

People hate the fact that a young guy is going to get a promotion of his life/an opportunity of his life and are now leaking unfounded rumors/and trashing him.

lol only at notre dame
I agree it is stupid to try and fault PJ... but I disagree with you saying it is only at Notre Dame.... pretty sure it will/has happened at a lot of schools. Aint you from Nebraska Chase? I am around Nebraska fans more than any other team and they are brutal to their players.... always have been.

Exactly, Bryan, while yes I agree had been verbally in Phil's corner, is not the only one. Many have said they don't like the Rees hire, if in fact he does become the OC. Eric Hansen is very well respected and is very careful choosing sides but agrees that ND is better off with an experienced OC and let Rees get more experience, especially in recruting.
Eric Hansen is good at writing stories about ND players but this guy is far from some kind of expert on the topic of coordinator hires.

LOL this fan base....

Reactions: Pennick4
There's no comment about Rees liking the instagram post
No comment... but he did.... I follow both Ian and Reese on Instagram and it popped up that he 'liked' it.

EDIT.... actually he tagged Reese in the picture lol.... like that is who he was on the phone with.

lol only at notre dame
How is it unfounded? Seems like ke multiple people close to the program said it, now we have a social media post of Ian celebrating it and Rees liking it. Also the possible promotion has nothing to do with the mishandling of Phil more then the fact Rees l, even though talented. Is not ready.

Dont know if anyone is on Instagram and I dont know how much to put into it... but after it was announced PJ was leaving Ian posted a picture of him saying "The circle got smaller" and TR 'liked' it. . . I thought it was a little unnecessary but for all I know it could be about something completely different lol.

Given young Ian's mental struggles this Fall via all the egregious and contemptuous attacks on him on social media one would doubt he would be engaging in the same such activities to besmirch young Phil.

For those activities would cast him in the company of hypocrites and we all know the character and morals of players and coaches at ND are beyond reproach.

If for some reason this was a veiled attack by Ian and Rees towards Phil we have no choice but to place blame on the selfish and treacherous Phil who has now wreaked havoc on our quarterback depth chart.

We must defend thy honor of our fair maiden and his most trusted advisers. They shall do no wrong ever.

It is imperative that we must operate with minds of sheep in these matters and pledge our unwavering fealty to our fair maiden just as we had done with our other fair maidens prior.

However, shall our fair maiden find himself relieved of duties as head coach of the football program we shall no doubt be allowed the mystical powers of hindsight and let others know that we knew the coach would not be a success all along despite what our opinions had stated to the contrary during his tenure.

We know these actions to be true for we have already seen them play out on this message board before.

Now that we have summarily dispatched of young Phil and assigned him with all fault for our grievances lets us now fixate our capacity for ire or deification invariably towards young Brendon and Drew and yet still wait for the arrival of our true savior young Tyler who shall assuredly lead our program to great victories and glory!!!

How is it unfounded? Seems like ke multiple people close to the program said it, now we have a social media post of Ian celebrating it and Rees liking it. Also the possible promotion has nothing to do with the mishandling of Phil more then the fact Rees l, even though talented. Is not ready.

Coaches are getting younger and younger in college football. How in the world does anybody on the outside have any clue about Tommy Rees' readiness ? Are you Brian Kelly have you worked intimately with Rees for 6+ years ? It's such simpleton thinking to say "little/no experience...this is going to fail" ... ND gave clark lea his first chance as a defensive coordinator and hit a homerun on that hire ..

What i find even more funny is the spreading of this Phil J/Tommy Rees conflict rumor .. i didn't even have to see who "leaked" that to know it was Bryan Driskell .. this guy has had it out for Ian Book/Tommy Rees for years thinking as a writer/analyst he has a better idea of how people are performing in camps/drills and who should and shouldn't be starting.

According to Driskell's logic ND is a national title contending program if only Brian Kelly promoted Phil Jerkovec and benched Ian Book despite Kelly/Rees intimately seeing thousands and thousands of reps/drills/scores/grades over the course of the last several years.

Driskell brings some interesting perspective as an ex D3 WR coach but that guy becomes maniacal about his proclamations and will defend them despite them being wrong/incorrect like a mother bear defends her cubs.

These rumors are entirely silly to me.

@nemeth#5 no i am from southern california and currently living in the pacific northwest

Last edited:
Given young Ian's mental struggles this Fall via all the egregious and contemptuous attacks on him on social media one would doubt he would be engaging in the same such activities to besmirch young Phil.

For those activities would cast him in the company of hypocrites and we all know the character and morals of players and coaches at ND are beyond reproach.

If for some reason this was a veiled attack by Ian and Rees towards Phil we have no choice but to place blame on the selfish and treacherous Phil who has now wreaked havoc on our quarterback depth chart.

We must defend thy honor of our fair maiden and his most trusted advisers. They shall do no wrong ever.

It is imperative that we must operate with minds of sheep in these matters and pledge our unwavering fealty to our fair maiden just as we had done with our other fair maidens prior.

However, shall our fair maiden find himself relieved of duties as head coach of the football program we shall no doubt be allowed the mystical powers of hindsight and let others know that we knew the coach would not be a success all along despite what our opinions had stated to the contrary during his tenure.

We know these actions to be true for we have already seen them play out on this message board before.

Now that we have summarily dispatched of young Phil and assigned him with all fault for our grievances lets us now fixate our capacity for ire or deification invariably towards young Brendon and Drew and yet still wait for the arrival of our true savior young Tyler who shall assuredly lead our program to great victories and glory!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Ah, yes.

One does find humor in your use of this particular aphorism when contrasted against when you literally took the words right of the page of the particular post that had provided me with so much self amusement.

Were I to think better of said humor I may give more weight to the use of aphorism as anything other than a mere coincidence in its use.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Eric Hansen is good at writing stories about ND players but this guy is far from some kind of expert on the topic of coordinator hires.

LOL this fan base....
Coaches are getting younger and younger in college football. How in the world does anybody on the outside have any clue about Tommy Rees' readiness ? Are you Brian Kelly have you worked intimately with Rees for 6+ years ? It's such simpleton thinking to say "little/no experience...this is going to fail" ... ND gave clark lea his first chance as a defensive coordinator and hit a homerun on that hire ..

What i find even more funny is the spreading of this Phil J/Tommy Rees conflict rumor .. i didn't even have to see who "leaked" that to know it was Bryan Driskell .. this guy has had it out for Ian Book/Tommy Rees for years thinking as a writer/analyst he has a better idea of how people are performing in camps/drills and who should and shouldn't be starting.

According to Driskell's logic ND is a national title contending program if only Brian Kelly promoted Phil Jerkovec and benched Ian Book despite Kelly/Rees intimately seeing thousands and thousands of reps/drills/scores/grades over the course of the last several years.

Driskell brings some interesting perspective as an ex D3 WR coach but that guy becomes maniacal about his proclamations and will defend them despite them being wrong/incorrect like a mother bear defends her cubs.

These rumors are entirely silly to me.

@nemeth#5 no i am from southern california and currently living in the pacific northwest
Show us ONE OC of a major program with as little experience as Rees and as young as he is and I'll be quite about subject. It's obvious from multiple sources there is a riff between some staff and Phil. Ian's Twitter seems to back that up. If you want to keep your head in the sand that your proactive. Also I'll take the logic of national sports writers over yours every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. No offense of course.

Very nice prez. Also I would like to note that Phil, a life long ND fan, who had offers by top schools stuck by Kelly after a 4-8 season and recruited his butt off for Kelly and almost single handedly held that 2017 class together. That kid owes us nothing!

There's some serious implications going around here.

1. Rees was too much a diva to get along with a QB and is now being given the blame for Phil Js transfer.

2. Phil Jerkovec transferred because he didn't get along with a prominent offensive coach (Rees), NOT because he wasn't good enough to beat out the starting QB (Book). The assumption is that it wasn't a football reason. hmmm....

I don't buy any of this ... Bryan Driskell has been a major Phil Jerkovec homer since his recruitment .. he even gave Phil Jerkovec a "5 star" tag and was waiting around for Jerkovec to get a promotion while talking down Ian Book for nearly 2 years.

Driskell also HATES the idea of Tommy Rees getting a promotion to offensive coordinator ... Because Driskell knows more than the coaching staff that works intimately with Tommy Rees everyday of course..

This story rubs me the wrong way and it reeks of desperation/insecurity on part of Bryan Driskell.
This may be the first time we are in total agreement.

Show us ONE OC of a major program with as little experience as Rees and as young as he is and I'll be quite about subject. It's obvious from multiple sources there is a riff between some staff and Phil. Ian's Twitter seems to back that up. If you want to keep your head in the sand that your proactive. Also I'll take the logic of national sports writers over yours every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. No offense of course.
At what age did Kliff Kingsbury get his opportunity? Josh Huepel at OU? Lincoln Riley ? Sean McVay with the rams ?

Point here is that star coaches/coordinators are emerging at younger and younger ages at both levels. Young coaches also tend to recruit better/relate better to teenage athletes.

Rees was being given credit for Jordan Johnson's recruitment as well as the recruitment of the recent quarterbacks who are some of the highest rated players on the team since he got here.

With Brian Kelly at head coach it doesn't really matter who is offensive coordinator anyway as I believe Brian Kelly has a huge amount of input on the offense regardless. Which is why this hire isn't THAT big of a deal to me. No matter who it is, not much is going to change in terms of the program's trajectory unless they can move the needle on the talent equation side of things.

Last edited:
Do the Dallas Cowboys count. Kellen Moore just took them to the #1 offense in the league with basically the same career path as Rees. He’s also good enough Mike McCarthy wants to keep him on staff.

Reactions: Pennick4
Another interesting note from the linked article to Hansen’s interview was that the vibe from practice was that the gap was wider between Ian and Phil than Phil and Clark. Doesn’t scream to a CFP difference maker being kept on the bench because of a riff with a coach.

Reactions: wetwater
At what age did Kliff Kingsbury get his opportunity? Josh Huepel at OU? Lincoln Riley ? Sean McVay with the rams ?

Point here is that star coaches/coordinators are emerging at younger and younger ages at both levels. Young coaches also tend to recruit better/relate better to teenage athletes.

Rees was being given credit for Jordan Johnson's recruitment as well as the recruitment of the recent quarterbacks who are some of the highest rated players on the team since he got here.

With Brian Kelly at head coach it doesn't really matter who is offensive coordinator anyway as I believe Brian Kelly has a huge amount of input on the offense regardless. Which is why this hire isn't THAT big of a deal to me. No matter who it is, not much is going to change in terms of the program's trajectory unless they can move the needle on the talent equation of things.
Actually it was Long responsible for the very awsome offensive recruting. I'm not going to do the research comparing coaches, experience and age. I, along with most experts, will respectfully disagree with you about the Rees hire. If it in fact becomes so.

Young Mr. Driskell exhibits great difficulty in restraining his ego.

His struggles with getting along as both a colleague or employee of other ND media is well documented should you have the means to be privy to such matters.

This difficulty with ego containment is also at its peak when he finds himself having difficulty engaging in respectful discourse with the very people that provide his livelihood. A troubling act no doubt which lead to his termination with at least one employer.

One may also ponder if these ego issues may have presented problems for him in the coaching ranks as well given his dabbling in and out of the profession and lack of career progression.

One also may need to question his citing of "sources" as he hadn't such connections when working at two other ND media outlets. Those remained primarily concealed from him by those site's proprietors for obvious reasons so as not to freely give him access for which he could use on his own to generate commerce.

No young Driskell finds himself alone in the always daunting pursuit of transferring funds from another's pocketbook into his own. This can cause some people great distress to undertake. Albeit for him it is likely more due to a sense of pride as opposed to the consequences of any true financial peril as he no doubt seeks refuge through his wife's labor as one is apt to do when holding a vocation such as his. Given that I have yet been required to pay for his contents at the conclusion of the season as was spelled out to me in the terms of my initial free membership I might also draw into question if his current employers are still determining whether they feel they can profit off of young Driskell's proprietary works. Well, good to have wifey at your side I suppose. Perhaps he may be able to seek refuge back under Lou?

With all considerations to the above, one may choose to digest his contents with "a grain of salt".

I do like the fellow; however, in a perverse manner. One can only think fondly of the staunchness for which he felt firm of the opinion that young Golden was not an adequate receiver for the university while he went on to amass obscene amounts of yards and touchdowns during that very season and also procure several post season distinctions. It was a display that no doubt that even had to have Catholicfan95 blushing.

Reactions: Telx1
Very nice prez. Also I would like to note that Phil, a life long ND fan, who had offers by top schools stuck by Kelly after a 4-8 season and recruited his butt off for Kelly and almost single handedly held that 2017 class together. That kid owes us nothing!

Remember, given that we have now been able to ascertain the previous odd connection between Rees and Kelly there is no mystery to the matter.

For what father would side with another against his own son?

If you are going to make these claims please provide links/quotes/etc.

You are the biggest Bryan Driskell cult member and ND establishment hack that exists on this site.

People keep posting links.
And are you that stupid you literally can’t look up two other sites? Is that too hard?
Actually, for you it is.
You are the biggest joke on any board.
Not just with football either.

You are the typical kid who never worked for anything & wants everything for free. Wants it now. And if not then it’s everybody else’s fault.
You think America sucks and that everywhere else is better. You actually posted once the Dems won seats in Congress that there would be free college, healthcare, drugs, etc... LOL
You literally have zero idea the way the world works & especially have zero idea of how Notre Dame works.
You will continue to be miserable, complain & whine, & it’s actually funny...

People keep posting links.
And are you that stupid you literally can’t look up two other sites? Is that too hard?
Actually, for you it is.
You are the biggest joke on any board.
Not just with football either.

You are the typical kid who never worked for anything & wants everything for free. Wants it now. And if not then it’s everybody else’s fault.
You think America sucks and that everywhere else is better. You actually posted once the Dems won seats in Congress that there would be free college, healthcare, drugs, etc... LOL
You literally have zero idea the way the world works & especially have zero idea of how Notre Dame works.
You will continue to be miserable, complain & whine, & it’s actually funny...

Such venom towards another for a link request?

One might ponder that these in fact be actions of a typical kid? I might conclude as such upon reflection of my six year old's behavior shall I deny here means to sugar laden foods.

Temporarily, you may do well from a brisk walk outside should you find the weather agreeable for such activity.

Longer term, you unfortunately have quite a bit of work ahead of you to reconcile your temperament from that of a typical kid.

There's some serious implications going around here.

1. Rees was too much a diva to get along with a QB and is now being given the blame for Phil Js transfer.

2. Phil Jerkovec transferred because he didn't get along with a prominent offensive coach (Rees), NOT because he wasn't good enough to beat out the starting QB (Book). The assumption is that it wasn't a football reason. hmmm....

I don't buy any of this ... Bryan Driskell has been a major Phil Jerkovec homer since his recruitment .. he even gave Phil Jerkovec a "5 star" tag and was waiting around for Jerkovec to get a promotion while talking down Ian Book for nearly 2 years.

Driskell also HATES the idea of Tommy Rees getting a promotion to offensive coordinator ... Because Driskell knows more than the coaching staff that works intimately with Tommy Rees everyday of course..

This story rubs me the wrong way and it reeks of desperation/insecurity on part of Bryan Driskell.

You think?

“I don't buy any of this ... Bryan Driskell has been a major Phil Jerkovec homer since his recruitment .. he even gave Phil Jerkovec a "5 star" tag and was waiting around for Jerkovec to get a promotion while talking down Ian Book for nearly 2 years.”

No doubt that he’s way overly critical of book but that doesn’t mean that Phil wasn’t a great prospect & couldn’t have played at a high level at ND. I’m sad to see him go. I still think he should’ve stayed because he’s only one play away, but I understand him not wanting to stay, especially if the QB coach & he didn’t see eye to eye. This isn’t good in any way for ND, IMO. Makes us worse at the position.

I'm not real sure about that "one play away" thing that we often hear about. I get the feeling that BK/Rees would play Ian if they had to put the young man on crutches or fix him with a boot that has cleats molded on the bottom. There's no pulling this QB from the field.

BK made that statement. I heard it on Eric Hansen's radio show. Eric and his rambling co-host played the clip several times the other day.

So I guess multiple sources have said that Rees and Phil did not like one another. This would not suprise me and would explain a lot especially with Rees becoming the OC and Rees seeing Book as himself not that long ago.
Is it confirmed Rees is the OC?

No there is no link with a direct quote from Kelly or Rees saying that there was a major riff and there never will be. That said people very close to the program agree there was. Also the lack is playing time. After the Michigan game we averaged wind by 28.5 points a game yet PJ was only allowed to throw the ball three times. All completions I might add. So ya something serious wrong was going on. Rees vs Phil. Rees won.

The coach always wins.

First of all, if ND cannot find a better OC than tommy rees than what kind of program is it. Certainly, not a top 10 one that is for sure. He was a bad QB to begin with.
Secondly, PJ has a rifle for an arm. Everytime I see him throw the ball gets there in a hurry and is usually very accurate most of his deep balls are on target. Book thriws a pass you could make a snack before it arrives. It is a shame PJ never got a chance at ND as I am sure he will thrive in another system under better leadership.
I hope they are not basing there decision on OC off of one game against a team we should have beaten by 50 points.

Reactions: valianted25
First of all, if ND cannot find a better OC than tommy rees than what kind of program is it. Certainly, not a top 10 one that is for sure. He was a bad QB to begin with.
Secondly, PJ has a rifle for an arm. Everytime I see him throw the ball gets there in a hurry and is usually very accurate most of his deep balls are on target. Book thriws a pass you could make a snack before it arrives. It is a shame PJ never got a chance at ND as I am sure he will thrive in another system under better leadership.
I hope they are not basing there decision on OC off of one game against a team we should have beaten by 50 points.
First of all, the type of player Rees was has absolutely zero to do with how he will be as OC. That is a terrible argument. Just silly.

Second of all, Phil has some serious accuracy issues. He threw some of the worst balls I have ever seen. He needs a lot of work.

Third of all, it doesnt seem like teams are knocking down the door for him. Looks like Boston College is the favorite right now.

If he was a 3 star, people would have said we wasted a scholarship after watching him throw at the spring game. People are just using Phil as another chance to bash Kelly. Its pathetic

Reactions: Catholicfan95
First of all, the type of player Rees was has absolutely zero to do with how he will be as OC.

Second of all, Phil has some serious accuracy issues. He threw some of the worst balls I have ever seen. He needs a lot of work.

Rees isn't ready to be an OC yet.....PERIOD. Secondly it doesn't matter who the OC is because BK is pulling the strings. Thats why there will be no great experienced OC coming to ND. Thirdly, since Phil needs a lot of work and his accuracy sucks according to you, why hasn't your boy TR and BK made any progress with him since they are such great coaches. Especially your self proclaimed "offensive guru" and "QB developer" BK?

“I'm not real sure about that "one play away" thing that we often hear about. I get the feeling that BK/Rees would play Ian if they had to put the young man on crutches or fix him with a boot that has cleats molded on the bottom. There's no pulling this QB from the field.”

Doesn’t really matter if you’re “not real sure”. If book were to have gotten hurt, Phil was most definitely “one play away“ & in all likelihood would’ve been again this upcoming season if he didn’t get beat out by Pyne or Clark.

But I thought we weren’t supposed to “pile on” players in this forum according to you. Sure seems like you don’t mind piling on book. I guess when you rag on a player, it’s okay.

“I hope they are not basing there decision on OC off of one game against a team we should have beaten by 50 points.”

? We should’ve beaten Iowa st by 50?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT