ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Rees and Jurkovec had Issues

irish4life888

I've posted how many times?
Sep 20, 2009
So I guess multiple sources have said that Rees and Phil did not like one another. This would not suprise me and would explain a lot especially with Rees becoming the OC and Rees seeing Book as himself not that long ago.

Reactions: rgc7
Appears Rees tends to exhibit the same Napoleon complex as his mentor.

Please Lord, don't let Tyler be more than two inches taller than Thomas.

Reactions: irish4life888
I just stated the two sources. I didn't want to link the sources of a former employee and a competing website here. A 2 second Google will take you right there.

I tried to hand feed people sites last night on how to get the info & was ridiculed. I probably posted a dozen times that the reason Phil was leaving was not ability related but because of Long/Rees. I even explained it started with Long and ended with Phil & Rees not getting along & Rees probably getting OC drove Phil away. Even posted that ND could have talked Phil out of it but Rees wanted Phil to leave. Of course others mocked me...LOL
Anyways, people won’t look up what you told them to because they don’t want to know the truth.

If Kelly had a love child ...he would look like TR!

So many options here but we should likely abstain lest we suffer the same fate as poor chase.

However, be that as it may, I cannot exhibit the necessary amount of self restraint at this time due to the presence of foreign substances currently in my physical being. An unfortunate weakness no doubt.

Perhaps if I present my satire with more eloquence I shall gain respite? One can hope...

In any event.....

One must ponder how a player of Rees magnitude ever found himself in a position to receive a scholarship from a school of Notre Dame's caliber, much less, ever secure access to the field of play.

Also, one must wonder how he sits on the eve of his embark as offensive coordinator at such a caliber of program as Notre Dame absent the requisite qualifications and experience.

And what should we make of William Rees inclusion on the football staff? Some form of mea culpa for one's past transgressions? Does William find that Brian requires his presence in the football offices whilst being simultaneously absent himself? Also, what are we to make of William's overnight travel requirements?

Reactions: NCDomer1
I tried to hand feed people sites last night on how to get the info & was ridiculed. I probably posted a dozen times that the reason Phil was leaving was not ability related but because of Long/Rees. I even explained it started with Long and ended with Phil & Rees not getting along & Rees probably getting OC drove Phil away. Even posted that ND could have talked Phil out of it but Rees wanted Phil to leave. Of course others mocked me...LOL
Anyways, people won’t look up what you told them to because they don’t want to know the truth.

Ok. Cool.

someone posted today elsewhere that they have heard from somebody that Phil would be willing to maybe come back if things could get mended between him and another party

someone posted today elsewhere that they have heard from somebody that Phil would be willing to maybe come back if things could get mended between him and another party

That was what multiple people reported (this site, other sites), but they all then reported that ND had no plans of doing this. They said Rees doesn’t want Phil to stay.

Unfortunate, but that's how it is sometimes. Good for the staff and Kelly to back one of their own. I'm sure there is a lot behind the scenes we don't know from temperament, work ethic, level of positive engagement etc. I'm sure it was more than difficult for PH to sit behind book and probably felt he didn't get a fair chance, who really knows.

However, If you start bending to the will of the players it will crumble the foundation and create a toxic locker room (similar to our 4-8 season) no one wants that.

Ok. Cool.
giphy.gif

Unfortunate, but that's how it is sometimes. Good for the staff and Kelly to back one of their own. I'm sure there is a lot behind the scenes we don't know from temperament, work ethic, level of positive engagement etc. I'm sure it was more than difficult for PH to sit behind book and probably felt he didn't get a fair chance, who really knows.

However, If you start bending to the will of the players it will crumble the foundation and create a toxic locker room (similar to our 4-8 season) no one wants that.

According to his teammates & parents of players, Phil had great work ethic, very positive, loved ND & was respected by teammates as much as anybody on the team.
The problem between him & Rees was one Rees (as a coach, despite being only 25 when hired), should have handled instead being part of the problem.

According to his teammates & parents of players, Phil had great work ethic, very positive, loved ND & was respected by teammates as much as anybody on the team.
The problem between him & Rees was one Rees (as a coach, despite being only 25 when hired), should have handled instead being part of the problem.

From what I've read it's all speculation so I'm siding with Kelly and the staff. If I find something that makes me change my mind I will certainly give the credible information a chance.

Being a coach and in a position that commands respect at a young age is tough, trust me I know. But if you don't have to mental awareness to know what and when to coach players problems can arise. I can see Phil maybe not taking Rees as serious and rubbing him the wrong way. I can see Phil feeling that he was never the favorite. I can see it all because I have personally seen and experienced similar situations, but like I said I wasn't there so it's hard to know all the facts.

However, if Rees acted poorly then I agree with you and other posters. It's a relationship that failed, it happens and no one outside of those two people (maybe staff) really knows what happens, so like I said I just can't do much since the facts are lacking.

BK is known for using a tad too much hyperbole when he wants to pump up a player.

If the reports are true about the relationship between Jurkovec and the coaching staff, I hope Phil is eligible to play next year. Coaches should never quit on players who want to improve and put in the effort. That is disappointing and unacceptable.

well if he said it it must be true..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It wasn't just Bryan it was also Eric Hansen from ND Insider. Sorry but his reputation is beyond reproach and he's extremely careful what he says as he has a close relationship with Kelly. Professionaly speaking. With that said he also says a lot of people said Rees has a great offensive mind beyond his years and he will be a good coordinator, with a few more years of experience.

A friend of mine who is friends with the family said Phil cannot stand Brian Kelly. No idea what the issue is but I don't think it is just Rees.

LOL -- there will be no link! A lot of this is 2nd hand hear say, and will never become public knowledge.
No there is no link with a direct quote from Kelly or Rees saying that there was a major riff and there never will be. That said people very close to the program agree there was. Also the lack is playing time. After the Michigan game we averaged wind by 28.5 points a game yet PJ was only allowed to throw the ball three times. All completions I might add. So ya something serious wrong was going on. Rees vs Phil. Rees won.

Reactions: rgc7 and Kelso86
thanks man. Interesting read for sure.
Eric is going to be much more diplomatic as he's been around the program forever and he doesn't want to rock the boat with any of his connections. But it's obvious that Phil has issues with some of the staff. I cannot blame him as I do believe we failed at developing him and not giving him enough playing time. His transfer has nothing to do with Ian coming back.

Reactions: rgc7 and Kontiki09
if true, just another reason why I'm no Rees fan...wasn't as a player, and even less as a ND coach. Rees needs to go cut his teeth with a lesser program, prove himself, and then audition for the role. Something tells me that Kelly prefers staff that he can control.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC
There's some serious implications going around here.

1. Rees was too much a diva to get along with a QB and is now being given the blame for Phil Js transfer.

2. Phil Jerkovec transferred because he didn't get along with a prominent offensive coach (Rees), NOT because he wasn't good enough to beat out the starting QB (Book). The assumption is that it wasn't a football reason. hmmm....

I don't buy any of this ... Bryan Driskell has been a major Phil Jerkovec homer since his recruitment .. he even gave Phil Jerkovec a "5 star" tag and was waiting around for Jerkovec to get a promotion while talking down Ian Book for nearly 2 years.

Driskell also HATES the idea of Tommy Rees getting a promotion to offensive coordinator ... Because Driskell knows more than the coaching staff that works intimately with Tommy Rees everyday of course..

This story rubs me the wrong way and it reeks of desperation/insecurity on part of Bryan Driskell.

Dont know if anyone is on Instagram and I dont know how much to put into it... but after it was announced PJ was leaving Ian posted a picture of him saying "The circle got smaller" and TR 'liked' it. . . I thought it was a little unnecessary but for all I know it could be about something completely different lol.

There's some serious implications going around here.

1. Rees was too much a diva to get along with a QB and is now being given the blame for Phil Js transfer.

2. Phil Jerkovec transferred because he didn't get along with a prominent offensive coach (Rees), NOT because he wasn't good enough to beat out the starting QB (Book). The assumption is that it wasn't a football reason. hmmm....

I don't buy any of this ... Bryan Driskell has been a major Phil Jerkovec homer since his recruitment .. he even gave Phil Jerkovec a "5 star" tag and was waiting around for Jerkovec to get a promotion while talking down Ian Book for nearly 2 years.

Driskell also HATES the idea of Tommy Rees getting a promotion to offensive coordinator ... Because Driskell knows more than the coaching staff that works intimately with Tommy Rees everyday of course..

This story rubs me the wrong way and it reeks of desperation/insecurity on part of Bryan Driskell.

Most people “hate” the idea of Rees getting the OC position now. Bryan also said he thinks Rees has a great football mind & with more time & maturity will be an excellent OC. It’s the face ND is a top 10 program & bringing in elite offensive players, & Rees has zero experience as OC.
And Bryan isn’t the only one reporting what you said. Three other sites are also reporting it, as someone else mentioned above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT